Author Topic: Wither's Dream Theater List Stuff..... :)  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Wither

• We're Dream Theater and this next one's called...
  • "Watch how many notes we can play!"
Wither's Dream Theater List Stuff..... :)
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
Hello everyone! You can call me Wither and I chose this nickname because this was the very first Dream Theater song that I had heard and I loved it very much!

I am new to this forums and I found this forum via this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA.

I thought, "Wow. Those are really interesting questions."
When I clicked this site, I was shocked to see how large this fan base was. I was like, "Man, I gotta join this site!"

I had fun reading some topics and you guys made my day. Though, that video had some horrendous comments about dtf.org, but I don't find that to be true.

And the thing is, I am very list oriented. Some people call me the "Top Ten King," just because I have created and contributed a lot of lists. I just love making lists and hearing feedback and opinion. I dunno.

Expect a lot of lists on this thread.......

Here is a ranking of my Dream Theater albums:

13. When Day and Dream Unite
-Production?! Why oh why?!
12. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory
-Least listened to album besides When Day and Dream Unite. I just don't like it very much and although it has some great songs, there are also some moments that makes me want to just skip the album fully.
11. Dream Theater
-I think it was a drop from ADTOE, but man, Mangini is a monster!
10. Images and Words
-Also rarely listened to. I hate the snare drum sound. I really don't know why, but besides Learning to Live and Metropolis Part 1, the other songs I have no liking to.
9. Octavarium
-The latter half of the album is the strongest and saves this album from sinking too low.
8. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
-Heavy and melodic, but I think it's kinda bloated.
7. Train of Thought
-Heavy. Really heavy. Still great though  :tup
6. The Astonishing
-Honestly, this was way lower when I first listened to
5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
-Love the production for this album, but some overplaying stops this from entering the top three. I love the ROAR though
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
-First album without Portnoy. At first, it had been on the end of my phone, but as I kept on listening to it, this album kept rising and rising from this list and rests on the fourth.
3. Awake
-Strongest of the "big three." Love Labrie and Petrucci in this album.
2. Falling into Infinity
-Overall, it is a really strong album. These has a lot of my favorite songs and I do not dislike any single song from this album.
1. Systematic Chaos
-My very first album of Dream Theater. Yes, my very first. After I watched their making of Systematic Chaos video, I listened to the whole album. And yes, I watched the making of Systematic Chaos, I listened to the whole album and that has been my number one album and has not changed at all.

So yeah. Can't wait to put some more lists...:p
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:34:49 PM by Wither »
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Wither's Dream Theater List Stuff..... :)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
Well well call you "Bloated" in honor of chaossystem.   

Look in the bloated thread.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

1. Systematic Chaos

This is where you kinda lost me.

The beauty of different tastes, I guess  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
Yeah King...HA! HA! HA! VERY funny!!

Anyway, Wither, I want to welcome you to this mess, and I find some of your rankings to be very interesting. I find it impossible to "rank" DT's albums and songs, to say "this one is better/worse than that one, etc., largely because depending on mood, song preferences change, sometimes within a single day.

But I like the way you have some of the albums that I've always thought were very UNDER-rated are also highly rated on your list. But SFaM being one of their WEAKEST? I'm surprised no one has yelled "git a ROPE" yet!

Train of Thought in the middle instead of towards the bottom (higher number) is also a little surprising.

I know it's different from their other CDs, but where would you rank ACoS?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
But SFaM being one of their WEAKEST? I'm surprised no one has yelled "git a ROPE" yet!
His bottom two are identical to mine. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline link2tau

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
Welcome to the forums good sir or madam.

I must say, upon seeing your list, it is certainly an odd one. SFAM at the bottom is nigh unheard of. To each his own I guess!

For kicks and giggles I'll give you my list.

13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Falling Into Infinity
11. Systematic Chaos
10. DT 12
9. Awake
8. Train of Thought
7. Black Clouds
6. Images and Words
5. Octavarium
4. Scenes From a Memory
3. Six Degrees
2. The Astonishing
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events

8 and 9 are fairly interchangeable. The 5 are pretty set in stone. Black Clouds is only has high is it is because of The Count of Tuscany (second favorite DT song). Sorry about Systematic Chaos. I try so hard to like it, but the only track I ever find myself enjoying is The Dark Eternal Night. Forsaken is alright too.

A Change of Seasons is somewhere in there. I consider that more a song than an EP, just because the covers don't do much for me.

I look forward to more of your lists!

Offline V_R11

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »

1. Systematic Chaos

The whole ranking throws me off big time  :lol

Welcome anyway  :smiley:
Seasons change and so can I

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
Looks like XBOXX has a new buddy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wither

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
Thank you for the welcome everyone. Now to answer some quotes......

Stop! You're killing me.  :lol :lol

1. Systematic Chaos

Oh definitely. I've gotten quite a few "troll" comments and hate because of my list, but it's my taste and you can't expect everyone to have Images and Words, Awake, or SFAM as their number one. :)

Yeah King...HA! HA! HA! VERY funny!!

Anyway, Wither, I want to welcome you to this mess, and I find some of your rankings to be very interesting. I find it impossible to "rank" DT's albums and songs, to say "this one is better/worse than that one, etc., largely because depending on mood, song preferences change, sometimes within a single day.

But I like the way you have some of the albums that I've always thought were very UNDER-rated are also highly rated on your list. But SFaM being one of their WEAKEST? I'm surprised no one has yelled "git a ROPE" yet!

Train of Thought in the middle instead of towards the bottom (higher number) is also a little surprising.

I know it's different from their other CDs, but where would you rank ACoS?

Oh you bet. My numbers get changed a lot, but my top three has been their since the beginning, unchanged. :)
ACOS? Well, either right below or above Octavarium :)

But SFaM being one of their WEAKEST? I'm surprised no one has yelled "git a ROPE" yet!
His bottom two are identical to mine. :tup

:metal :metal

Welcome to the forums good sir or madam.

I must say, upon seeing your list, it is certainly an odd one. SFAM at the bottom is nigh unheard of. To each his own I guess!

For kicks and giggles I'll give you my list.

13. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Falling Into Infinity
11. Systematic Chaos
10. DT 12
9. Awake
8. Train of Thought
7. Black Clouds
6. Images and Words
5. Octavarium
4. Scenes From a Memory
3. Six Degrees
2. The Astonishing
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events

8 and 9 are fairly interchangeable. The 5 are pretty set in stone. Black Clouds is only has high is it is because of The Count of Tuscany (second favorite DT song). Sorry about Systematic Chaos. I try so hard to like it, but the only track I ever find myself enjoying is The Dark Eternal Night. Forsaken is alright too.

A Change of Seasons is somewhere in there. I consider that more a song than an EP, just because the covers don't do much for me.

I look forward to more of your lists!

Nice list! Thank you! You're list is really interesting to see ADTOE at first. It is really a solid album :)
Don't sweat it! I can see why people would dislike SC.

1. Systematic Chaos

The whole ranking throws me off big time  :lol

Welcome anyway  :smiley:

Thanks so much. I hope this list wasn't too hard on your eyes :)

Looks like XBOXX has a new buddy!
:azn:
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline Wither

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
Might as well get started right now.....

And I promise as we get into the more interesting stuff, the write ups will be longer.

When Dream and Day Unite Songs Ranked:

8. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
-What an atmospheric introduction! Unfortunately, it is ruined by Portnoy's drumming that comes in suddenly. Transitions are really vital to a song and unfortunately, this album suffers from a lot of transition failures. A mood is really important in a song. If it's a song about death or suffering, there shouldn't be a really upbeat mood. The music and lyrics support each other and without one or another, it doesn't sound complete. Though I really love Petrucci's solo in the middle of the song.  :heart

7. Light Fuse and Get Away
-Like The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, this song is pretty inconsistent, but this song has a better atmosphere and follow through than the song above. The chorus is also insanely catchy and Kevin Moore's lyrics always touches me one way or another. Also, I love Moore's piano solo before Petrucci comes in with his own. Hook, line, sinker! :)

6. Afterlife
-This track begins with a fast (and rather neat) guitar opening, and then when the other instruments come in, it sounds rather awesome. The only problem with this song is that it drags on a bit too much for my liking. But, still, it has great musicianship.

5. Status Seeker
-This song shows Dream Theater's more virtuostic and progressive side, where metal takes a backseat. You know, would you agree with me when I say that I prefer Charlie's singing to James' for this song? A nice piece of music.

4. Only a Matter of Time
-Kicks off with a unique and progressive opening, and then gradually gets faster. It gets really fast when Charlie comes in. His vocals are excellent in this song. John Petrucci kinda takes a back seat on this song while Kevin Moore shines with his skills.

3. A Fortune In Lies
--The very first song on the album. The very last song I've heard. Yes. I didn't listen to the song in order. Instead, it was the very last song. O.O
It is just plain catchy and the lyrics are really interesting and I love it! Too bad an instrumental beats this.

2. The Ytse Jam
-Here is the instrumental that I love very much. The main reason why is because this band showed such skills when they were so young. Every band member besides Dominici gets a solo here. I ranked them by how much I liked the solo.
a. Myung (best!)
b. Petrucci (oh yeah!)
c. Portnoy (show off them skills!)
d. Moore (he did nice to pave the way for Petrucci.)
I also loved the ending when the beginning riff was played and all the members of the band were heard coherently.

1. The Killing Hand
-Well, here is a fictional song by John Petrucci and just by listening to this, I can now understand why Petrucci's lyrics on SC were all fiction. I enjoyed those very much. The very first song I listened to on this album. I listened to this song and I enjoyed it very much, so I took the chance of listening to the rest of the album. I did not regret it. It is a beautiful album and I really loved When Dream and Day Reunite. The production was just the flaw for this album.

:D

Do you guys agree with this list? What is your ranking of this song?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 03:32:35 AM »
How about a list where you create some sort of fantasy live setlist? Would be really interesting  :tup

Oh and different strokes I guess, but your two bottom WDADU songs are my favorites  :-\
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 03:53:08 AM »

"Well-well?"

What were you trying to SAY, King?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »
Perhaps a better place for comments on each release would be here

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34237.0
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!