Author Topic: Netflix's Flaked starring Will Arnett  (Read 913 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Netflix's Flaked starring Will Arnett
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »
Wooooowwwwweee that sucked. Granted, I stopped at the end of episode 3 but holy shit. What a steaming pile of crap. I'll end the bashing there but good lord do I love me some Arnett. I didn't expect anything except for the next comment I'm about to make, but nothing other than that. This felt like an overt situation of "I need to get away from this character", without a single doubt distancing himself from Arrested Development and in that way, it completely worked. It also completely bored me so much that I was genuinely frustrated by the time I had to say that I'm done. These Netflix Dramatic Comedies are really, really divisive (which is kind of interesting in of itself considering their other shows and the insane success they have). I wasn't too keen on Love but didn't hate it as much as some people (and I compare the two because they're almost exactly the same in terms of their core mentality and the ridiculousness of the characters, also the desert-dry comedy). In that same way, I utterly abhorred every second of this show's story, characters, direction...everything; others seems to really, really like it or straight up hate it.

Anyone else catch any of this yet? For me it was just a complete miss in every regard but I'd love to see what other Arnett fans have to say about it. Maybe I'm just seeing things the way I want but I can't see this as anything but Arnett trying to establish himself as being someone who can do something other than the quirky, zany (and let's be honest, dipshit, though in a good way) character in AD and succeeding almost too well in it because he's...a lifeless husk of simplicity. Which is how I saw just about every character.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Netflix's Flaked starring Will Arnett
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
Best thing Will Arnett did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKnr_9V0K48

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:33 PM »
I only watched part of the first episode, so I can't really judge it very well I guess. That said though, I mostly agree with your assessment. Love Will Arnett, but the show just wasn't doing anything for me. It's supposed to be a comedy, I presume, or at least vaguely comedic in nature, but by halfway through the first episode I hadn't laughed at anything, and I didn't really find the characters particularly interesting either.

Again, I've only seen part of an episode so this critique probably isn't fair, and I do plan on at least watching a few more episodes to form a more solid opinion, but initially I'm not very impressed.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 10:29:25 PM »
Yeah I hadn't really cracked a smile by the end of episode 3; 3 episodes is generally my universal "leeway" I'll give a show (that is, if I'm just absolutely not into it...if there's something there of course I'll give it longer than that) unless there's just a massive general consensus that a show is just slow to start, which is in part why I made the thread but it is a fairly new show so that may take some time. There's a good number of Netflix reviews but it's very up and down. It really does feel like it just can't make it's mind up whether to be a drama or just a suuuuper dry comedy and the characters fall into that same purgatory of "Hi! I'm realistic and relatable but I'm also dead inside!" while still...trying to be original and comedic...? I dunno, it's all over the place.

It really does also bear an unsettling resemblance to Love regarding the overall feel of the show but especially the characters...like ten fold.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:38:35 PM »
I gave up after the first episode. I really enjoyed Love though.

Calvin6s

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »
Love Will Arnett.  But judging by this review it sounds like what I love about him has nothing to do with the show.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:25 AM »
I like Will very much too - to me, GOB is the funniest character in Arrested Development. I also liked him in Running Wilde (which features David Cross as Will's nemesis, and even a cameo by Jeffrey Tambor).

If I can watch the episodes on-line, I might watch them this weekend. I hope I enjoy it (although, seeing all of your comments in this thread, that doesn't seem likely). If not, I'll use Netflix at my parents' house later.

Anyways, when you need your Will fix, you can always watch the GOB episodes in Arrested Development's last season, or The Brothers Solomon (the funniest movie I've seen in 10 years).

Sepaking of which: any other Arrested Development fans wishing the 5th season eventually arrives this year? (because, based on recent comments by Will, David and Jason Bateman, that looks like it won't happen... Or maybe it's a marketing strategy... I don't know.)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 03:13:00 AM »
Wooooowwwwweee that sucked. Granted, I stopped at the end of episode 3 but holy shit. What a steaming pile of crap.
Just finished watching the entire series. Here are a couple of comments in case you are interested:

I loved it. I do agree with you that it's not instantly funny (although I laughed at many parts in episodes #2 and #6). Still, I think Will did a pretty good job (no pun intended. Seriously), and, even if you don't like Will's character or the humour/drama throughout those first 3 episodes, the show pays off at the end. There are actually two big twists in the series, but I don't want to spoil too much of it.

Having said that, one of the comments you made is really interesting to read once you finish watching all of the series, because it's actually true, and essential to the story:
(...) the characters fall into that same purgatory of "Hi! I'm realistic and relatable but I'm also dead inside!"
Two of the main characters (and some of the guests) happen to go through that exact emotion, but not in the way you probably thought of when you wrote that. It's interesting to see how crucial to the story your comment is - particularly in the last 3 episodes.

I agree with another thing you said:
(...) it is a fairly new show so that may take some time.
It is indeed a show which starts slow, and then seems to drag on/disappoint/confuse, yet gets really interesting towards the end. It's like the first 5 episodes feel like one series, and the last 3 are a complete different one.

So, overall, I strongly recommend you finish watching it. You only have 5 episodes left - I mean, come on! (pun intended there ;)).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »
I didn't check it out cause I don't like Will Arnett so I'll take your work for it Tio heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.