Author Topic: Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt - Invention of Knowledge  (Read 18834 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt - Invention of Knowledge
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »
Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt team up for ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’
Anderson / Stolt, the brand new duo of legendary Yes vocalist & singer/songwriter Jon Anderson and progressive rock veteran Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Transatlantic), have announced the release of their collaborative album ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’ for 24th June 2016 via InsideOut Music.
Jon Anderson had this to say: “.....Music is always the driving force in my life...working with such a wonderful musician as Roine Stolt made the creation of this album very unique,we are very excited with the release of 'Invention of Knowledge'.“
Roine Stolt adds: “It is not aiming at being new Yes music; just new music, modern and classical, rock and ethno, tribal and orchestrated, grooving and floating. Hopefully in the true spirit of “progressive” - leaning forward, surprising and also comforting with familiar run-arounds.
We’ve been “inventing” as we go along - Jon is an endless source of new ideas. We’ve been bouncing ideas back and forth for months and as a result there are probably dozens of versions of these songs. It’s been a very interesting and rewarding time and the result is just insanely detailed.”
InsideOut label-head Thomas Waber comments: “I have been talking to Jon for ages about making an album of ‘Yes music’ – as Jon calls it - and Roine seemed like the perfect guy for him to work with. I am really happy that it has finally happened and I am also thrilled with the material they have come up with. I think it will please a lot of fans!”
The idea came to life swiftly off the back of a performance from Roine’s band Transatlantic, and Jon Anderson on the Progressive Nation At Sea Cruise in 2014, and was initially instigated by InsideOut Music label boss Thomas Waber. The duo set about crafting new music in the spirit of early epic works such as ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans’, ‘Awaken’ & ‘Olias Of Sunhillow’, but giving it a modern twist.
Written & recorded over the course of 1 and a half years, the tracks have been in a state of constant change as Roine and Jon swapped & refined ideas by sending tracks to each other via the internet. In March 2015, an ensemble was put together by Roine to realise the music live in the studio. Joining him there was Tom Brislin (who played on the Yes Symphonic tour) & Lalle Larsson on keys, Jonas Reingold & Michael Stolt on bass and Felix Lehrmann on drums. The sessions were also bolstered by appearances from Daniel Gildenlöw, Nad Sylvan, Anja Obermayer, Maria Rerych and Kristina Westas who all provided backing vocals.
The full track-listing for the album is as follows:
• Knowing 17:45
• Everybody Heals 13:20
• Invention Of Knowledge 23:10
• Know 11.20
Keep an eye out for more news in the coming weeks!

-----

Woah.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:49:18 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt - The Invention of Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »
I just saw this on the Yesfans boards and came here to post it.  Very cool!

Same thing with prettier background

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »
This has to be a dream come true for Roine Stolt, considering Jon Anderson was one of his two favorite prog giants of the 70s (Peter Gabriel being the other).

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
InsideOut label-head Thomas Waber comments: “I have been talking to Jon for ages about making an album of ‘Yes music’ – as Jon calls it - and Roine seemed like the perfect guy for him to work with. I am really happy that it has finally happened and I am also thrilled with the material they have come up with. I think it will please a lot of fans!”
Mmm, something seems wrong with that. If I wasn't aware that Jon used to be (and nowadays isn't) in Yes, when reading that, I would think Jon = Yes. Kind of insulting towards Chris, to mention one. It's like - 'Oh yeah, this is Yes music.', while there's still a band called Yes making their own music without Jon.

Or am I reading too much?

Still, good to see a high-profile collaboration like this. The second track should be called "Everybody Knows" :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
Yeah, I think you are reading too much into it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
My post about this from a day ago is still on page one... :(
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46453.0

Ah well, I guess no one wanted to talk about it then. :P

Love the album cover art though.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:16:04 PM »
Yes was Jon Anderson's main vehicle for many, many years.  He's done solo stuff, and collaborations with various others (notably Vangelis, but more recently with Jean-Luc Ponty, for example), but there's a certain type of music he thinks of as "Yes music" and it's really more about the approach to the music and spirit of it than literally what band is making it.  The Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe project also happened while there was a band out there called Yes, and Jon was even in that band (the "Rabin era lineup").  But he didn't think of the music that that band was making as "Yes music".  He put together ABWH because he wanted to make "Yes music" when the actual band Yes wasn't.  And most people agree that the ABWH album is much closer to 70's Yes than Big Generator was.

So I suppose you could see it as a slap against the current band Yes, but (1) it isn't really meant to be, it's just the way Jon thinks of the music and probably is the easiest way to describe it, and (2) even if it is a slap, they kinda deserve it.  Heaven and Earth is really weak IMO.  If Jon gets together with some other guys and says the music is "Yes music", that's fine with me.  With Roine, Daniel Gildenlow, Tom Brislin, and others on board, it will probably be better than what the current Yes is doing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 02:56:45 AM »
Holy shit! This could be good.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:20 AM »
Yes was Jon Anderson's main vehicle for many, many years.  He's done solo stuff, and collaborations with various others (notably Vangelis, but more recently with Jean-Luc Ponty, for example), but there's a certain type of music he thinks of as "Yes music" and it's really more about the approach to the music and spirit of it than literally what band is making it.  The Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe project also happened while there was a band out there called Yes, and Jon was even in that band (the "Rabin era lineup").  But he didn't think of the music that that band was making as "Yes music".  He put together ABWH because he wanted to make "Yes music" when the actual band Yes wasn't.  And most people agree that the ABWH album is much closer to 70's Yes than Big Generator was.

So I suppose you could see it as a slap against the current band Yes, but (1) it isn't really meant to be, it's just the way Jon thinks of the music and probably is the easiest way to describe it, and (2) even if it is a slap, they kinda deserve it.  Heaven and Earth is really weak IMO.  If Jon gets together with some other guys and says the music is "Yes music", that's fine with me.  With Roine, Daniel Gildenlow, Tom Brislin, and others on board, it will probably be better than what the current Yes is doing.

I swear, I was typing out a similar response, with the "spirit of Yes" and ABWH mentions, but deleted it, not wanting to go off on too big a tangent in response to SebastianPratesi's post.

But yeah, what you said is spot-on. :tup :tup  I seriously doubt Chris Squire would have any problem with this if he were still alive.

Dang, I didn't see that. I glanced at posts from yesterday, knowing the news had been announced only hours earlier, didn't see any thread on it, and figured it was safe.  How was this known on the 15th??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »
This is an automatic buy for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:09 AM »
OK, fair points there. I agree Heaven and Earth is weak (although "Believe Again" is a beautiful song in my opinion).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »
Hype is on
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 07:53:55 AM »
"Believe Again" is indeed a beautiful song.  There's a lot of nice stuff on Heaven and Earth, and... not much else.  Yes has always been about mixing it up, really taking you on a journey, sometimes over the course of the album and sometimes within a single song.  Yes has the heavy rocking stuff, the really beautiful and spiritual stuff, the instrumental mastery and the prog and everything else, all rolled into one.  Heaven and Earth isn't bad, but it feels like it only has one side to it, the mellow side.  At the very least, they could have come up with more variety.

Now, I say this without having heard a single note from The Invention of Knowledge, but I would bet money that it's going to be more diverse, more interesting, and just plain better than what "the real Yes" has been doing lately.  I'm glad Yes is still around; they're still my favorite band and probably always will be.  But they and Jon parted ways a while ago now, and with Chris Squire gone, the odds of Jon rejoining Yes have gone down a bit.  So this is hopefully more music of the type I'd rather hear.  Roine has always been all about the old-school prog, so him teaming up with Jon and bringing some of The Flower Kings along sounds like a pretty good match.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »

Dang, I didn't see that. I glanced at posts from yesterday, knowing the news had been announced only hours earlier, didn't see any thread on it, and figured it was safe.  How was this known on the 15th??

Jon Anderson posted a video on his facebook page, citing updates on various projects and dropped the bombshell about his project with Roine Stolt, giving name and release date information. Roine later posted on his FB about people now posting "rumors" about projects that weren't officially announced yet. Cut to less than a day later, the final reveal from them with full artwork and track list and times. I wonder if everything was revealed because Jon announced it early by mistake, or if it was planned all along? Guess we'll never know.

Oddly enough, much of this was already guessed at quite awhile back when Jon had revealed he was working with a Swedish guitarist friend on a project, and Roine had said he was in the studio with Tom Brislin working on something secret. Not many fans had pieced the two together, but in hindsight, it really makes sense.

If Jon couldn't get Yes back to play Yes music, getting the 3 of the Flower Kings together was the next best thing, especially for four epics on a single CD!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
This is very exciting.  Can't wait for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 04:55:56 PM »

Now, I say this without having heard a single note from The Invention of Knowledge, but I would bet money that it's going to be more diverse, more interesting, and just plain better than what "the real Yes" has been doing lately.  I'm glad Yes is still around; they're still my favorite band and probably always will be.  But they and Jon parted ways a while ago now, and with Chris Squire gone, the odds of Jon rejoining Yes have gone down a bit.  So this is hopefully more music of the type I'd rather hear.  Roine has always been all about the old-school prog, so him teaming up with Jon and bringing some of The Flower Kings along sounds like a pretty good match.

Could not agree more (except Yes is not my favorite band, more like top 7 or 8).  The Flower Kings sound Yes-ish at times anyway, so this is a perfect marriage.  :tup :tup

Jon Anderson posted a video on his facebook page, citing updates on various projects and dropped the bombshell about his project with Roine Stolt, giving name and release date information. Roine later posted on his FB about people now posting "rumors" about projects that weren't officially announced yet. Cut to less than a day later, the final reveal from them with full artwork and track list and times. I wonder if everything was revealed because Jon announced it early by mistake, or if it was planned all along? Guess we'll never know.

Oddly enough, much of this was already guessed at quite awhile back when Jon had revealed he was working with a Swedish guitarist friend on a project, and Roine had said he was in the studio with Tom Brislin working on something secret. Not many fans had pieced the two together, but in hindsight, it really makes sense.

If Jon couldn't get Yes back to play Yes music, getting the 3 of the Flower Kings together was the next best thing, especially for four epics on a single CD!

10-4. Very cool.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
This is cool. Must check this out.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
semantical:

"Invention of Knowledge" v "The Invention of Knowledge"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »
I didn't even notice that, but now that it's pointed out, it bugs me.

If a title starts the article "The", it's fairly common and usually acceptable to drop it when informally discussing the work.  I've heard The Dark Side of the Moon simply called Dark Side of the Moon so often that I'll bet some people don't even know what the correct title is.

But adding "The" when there isn't one seem to me a greater transgression.  The name of the band is Eurythmics, not "The" Eurythmics, for example.  That kind of thing.

The album title is Invention of Knowledge.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
Roine's press release has a "The" in there.  ???

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Disappointing.  But I'm sure Roine didn't write the press release himself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt - Invention of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
Probably. I changed the thread title, since like you said, it looks better that way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
And all is right with the world again.   :yarr

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
Should be interesting to see a) how good Anderson's voice still sounds, and b) how much lead singing Stolt does at all.  Given the classic yes vibe they went for, I suspect there will be a fair amount of vocal harmonies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
It will be cool to hear how their voices blend.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 03:03:27 AM »
This should be good! Looking forward to checking this out.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 03:49:59 AM »
Very interresting... this could be really good

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »
Pretty excited for Roine. He's got to love this.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
Yeah, Roine oughta be hyped as fuck for this, and so am I, this should be great! I've recently been thinking about what he's doing atm, and then thdey drop this bomb, fantastic!

Online Mladen

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 05:39:14 AM »
I know it's wrong, but I'm still disappointed the cover isn't done by Roger Dean.  :lol Whenever I think of Jon's voice or Yes-sounding music, I just need a Roger Dean world to go along with it.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 07:03:24 AM »
Roine's a pretty lucky guy considering he's been touring with Steve Hackett for, I think, about or over a year now, and now has an album due out with Jon Anderson and his fellow Flower Kings (well, two of them, three if you count his brother).

Unfortunately, this means that he's likely not had much time preparing a new Flower Kings album. Then again, Tomas is supposedly busy with Crime Of The Century, Jonas has had his new Karmakanic album in the works, and who know what Hasse has been up to (a new Musical Companion album would be quite welcome though!). Hopefully The Flower Kings get a chance to reconvene this year as they haven't had an album out since 2013. It'd be a shame if they went on ANOTHER five year hiatus (after the one they went on from 07-13, between The Sum Of No Evil and Banks Of Eden).

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
Meant to post in here a few days ago, but just wanted to say, I'm very excited for this. Really tough to imagine that this will be any worse than pretty good, and at its best it could be insanely good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 05:06:20 PM »
Should be interesting to see a) how good Anderson's voice still sounds, and b) how much lead singing Stolt does at all. 

Anderson's voice was never good, and Stolt's voice is annoying. 

Who's with me?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Both are acquired tastes IMO. Roine is a good example of someone with a not so good voice compensating with a great delivery (most of the time). I think the most recent thing I've heard Anderson sing is the last Yes album he did, which has to be over ten years old by now. I remember thinking his voice aged decently though.

I'm excited for this, seems like a good pairing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
Unfortunately, this means that he's likely not had much time preparing a new Flower Kings album. Then again, Tomas is supposedly busy with Crime Of The Century, Jonas has had his new Karmakanic album in the works, and who know what Hasse has been up to (a new Musical Companion album would be quite welcome though!). Hopefully The Flower Kings get a chance to reconvene this year as they haven't had an album out since 2013. It'd be a shame if they went on ANOTHER five year hiatus (after the one they went on from 07-13, between The Sum Of No Evil and Banks Of Eden).

True, but Roine, for me, is kind of like Steven Wilson in that he often has his hand in so many projects that even he isn't focusing on whatever his "main one" is at the moment, odds are that it is still going to be to my liking.  Having said that, it is good to see Roine working with a good vocalist this time around (as opposed to that guy he worked with on Agents of Mercy...ugh).

I know it's wrong, but I'm still disappointed the cover isn't done by Roger Dean.  :lol Whenever I think of Jon's voice or Yes-sounding music, I just need a Roger Dean world to go along with it.  ;D

Haha, I hadn't thought of that. :lol :lol