Author Topic: 10 years ago...  (Read 3427 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
10 years ago...
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »
Tomorrow, I saw DT for the first time in Chicago. It was an amazing show. That is all. :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 10 years ago...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
[/thread] :neverusethis:

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
...Two weeks from now, I saw DT for the last time in New York City.  It was also an amazing show.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
I was at that Chicago show at the Congress.  Pretty shitty venue, but amazing show nevertheless. Loved the drum duet with Charlie Benante, and they played four  songs I never saw live before or again - "Another Won," "Afterlife," "Innocence Faded," and "Raise The Knife."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Last June 9th was my 20th anniversary of seeing them for the first time.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
 :omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »
I was at that Chicago show at the Congress.  Pretty shitty venue, but amazing show nevertheless. Loved the drum duet with Charlie Benante, and they played four  songs I never saw live before or again - "Another Won," "Afterlife," "Innocence Faded," and "Raise The Knife."

We stood in line for hours to get good seats and we decided to sit in the balcony so the sound was better (plus I was with my dad, also a DT fan, and he didn't want to stand for hours). We were in the 2nd row in the center. Good sound. One of my best friends was hoping they'd do innocence faded since that's his favorite from awake, and he was freaking out.

Remember the asshole who yelled "SLAYER" during someone like him? I wanted to punch him in the throat.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jasc15

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
So today's the day.  10 years ago I saw DT for the last time.  I wound up going to the show by myself after whinging for days beforehand whether or not to go.  It was sold out, but ticket master kept making available tickets that were returned or whatever.  I got row T on Petrucci's side of thy stage and it was really quite phenomenal.  Glad I went.  I keep the ticket stub in the Score DVD jacket.  The were some folks in front of me on line from the DT.net forums but I didn't join until a day or two later.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »
Ten years ago today I saw dt live for the first time.  :hat

I keep my ticket stub with my plane ticket and stuff, in a frame... Would post a pic but not seeing a way to do it without going thru photobucket.

Edit:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:56:11 PM by JustJen »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline jasc15

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Did they give you the set list before the show?  I like not knowing the setlist.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
A friend gave it to me at intermission.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »
First time I saw them in Seattle 1993. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:46 AM »
I was at that show at the Congress as well (RIP). Probably the best out of the 7 DT shows I've seen so far. The setlist was unbelievable but what stuck out most to me was the incredibly high energy that the crowd was giving off. Took me completely by surprise!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
I was at the Radio City Music Hall show ten years ago.  My only time seeing the band live.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
I was at the Radio City Music Hall show ten years ago.  My only time seeing the band live.

You've only seem them once?

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »

Dude you should get out more lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:26:05 AM »
10 years ago today I ordered my copy of Ringleader Of The Tormentors, a Morrissey album which came out that day. I received my copy a week later, and played it to death... at one's elbow ;P

I think I got Six Degrees in October of that year, so yeah, I have to wait a bit more to post something else.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

Yep.  I live in Mayberry, not New York.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ansell

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
March 26th was ten years since I saw them for the first time, live at Massey Hall in Toronto. I was 14, it was my very first concert and it's a night I will most definitely never forget.

I remember when Portnoy hit those first few beats in the beginning of The Root To All Evil and seeing the kick drums light up blue and red, gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »

Ahhh, I see. That could pose a problem.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
First time I saw DT was in 1991 at a hole in the wall called Sparks on Long Island. Sadly I did not get to experience them at Sundance.

My friend / guitarist who was one of John's students tried to get to into DT. At first I told him that Learning to Live sounded like STYX!!

Went to Sparks and was hooked. I generally don't like a lot of other Prog but love DT.   I probably saw them about 20 times between 1991 and 2000, but not since. I hope to change that soon, but after the Astonishing tour.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
First time I saw DT was in 1991 at a hole in the wall called Sparks on Long Island. Sadly I did not get to experience them at Sundance.

My friend / guitarist who was one of John's students tried to get to into DT. At first I told him that Learning to Live sounded like STYX!!

Went to Sparks and was hooked. I generally don't like a lot of other Prog but love DT.   I probably saw them about 20 times between 1991 and 2000, but not since. I hope to change that soon, but after the Astonishing tour.

They played Sparks quite a few times back then, if I remember correctly.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »

They played Sparks quite a few times back then, if I remember correctly.

That is very likely true.   But I love how on the tour T-shirt I still have it has "Deer Park" stuck between actual large cities!  if I recall correctly, Charlie was at this Sparks show, looking very sad.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »

Hef's telling the truth... he's close to Mt Pilot (as am I).  I think you could count Winston Salem as a live show Hef... that was a fun night seeing DT on the big screen!

My wife (fiance at the time) and I were also at the Score show which was our second time seeing the band live.  Man, I remember the feeling when they played TSCO... you simply cannot manufacture that moment, that was the crowd and MP.  You really could see tears welling up in his eyes... what a great show that was!  It really did feel like the end of an era with the band.

Baltimore next week will be our 8th show for DT.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »

Hef's telling the truth... he's close to Mt Pilot (as am I).  I think you could count Winston Salem as a live show Hef... that was a fun night seeing DT on the big screen!

My wife (fiance at the time) and I were also at the Score show which was our second time seeing the band live.  Man, I remember the feeling when they played TSCO... you simply cannot manufacture that moment, that was the crowd and MP.  You really could see tears welling up in his eyes... what a great show that was!  It really did feel like the end of an era with the band.

Baltimore next week will be our 8th show for DT.

I know he's telling the truth. I was being half-facetious, half serious, and half 'no u'.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
That Congress Theater show during the Octavarium tour was my favorite DT show i attended, and the first DT concert my youngest brother went to.  I feel lucky to have had that show, since JL wasn't feeling well and the band ended up cancelling the next show in Detroit.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »
Jesus, has it been seven years for me? Wish I could've seen more shows with Portnoy. I know a lot here think he's an attention whore but he sure knows how to engage an audience.
My parents saw them 19 1/2 years ago in Toad's, a few feet from Sherinian (as my Mom couldn't be on the alcoholic side at the time). I'm not sure if my dad saw them before that, but he got into them in the Awake era via his college roommate.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
My first time, in Philly Aug 26th 2007

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2007/tower-theatre-upper-darby-pa-43d69b7b.html

Ah yeah I was at that show too, there were a good sized handful of us forumers there. :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2007/tower-theatre-upper-darby-pa-43d69b7b.html

Ah yeah I was at that show too, there were a good sized handful of us forumers there. :)

I was only a noob to the forum at that time

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

I miss those days. I loved the albums of that era.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »

I miss those days. I loved the albums of that era.

While SC is one of my least favorite albums, I love that era as well since I was only just getting into DT, SC was my first new release as a fan and hence my timing with joining the forum and then seeing them that year.  Lots of good memories.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:35 AM »
I saw my first DT show 20 years. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »
10 years ago, I should have been finding something important to do, so I could recall it fondly 10 years later.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
Technically my first show was the day before my 14th birthday in 1998. My dad brought me to see two of his favorite bands, ELP & Deep Purple. DT opened. While I wasn't hugely blown away (like I was at ELP), the name "Dream Theater" always stuck with me as something really cool. Got into them a few years later right before Train of Thought came out. My first concert as a fan was 4/1/2004 in Boston. While I hadn't heard every song yet, I had done my research and recognized at least every song's title when James sang it (Hollow Years, Trial of Tears, Light Fuse and Get Away were among the names I recognized that night). It was amazing!

Ten years ago... I saw DT on the last three nights of their 20th anniversary tour. I honestly couldn't say which of the three shows I liked the best, because they all had something different to offer. Only 3 songs were played at all three shows (Root of All Evil, Octavarium, Another Won), while a BUNCH of songs were only played once: A Fortune In Lies, Pull Me Under, Take the Time, Under a Glass Moon, Wait For Sleep, Learning to Live, Caught In A Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror, Lie, Speak To Me, Strange Deja Vu, Home, The Spirit Carries On, The Glass Prison, Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell, About to Crash (Reprise), Losing Time/Grand Finale, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, Vacant, The Answer Lies Within, and Never Enough. Looking back on it, it really was the end of an era. I don't think we'll ever get the variety they used to play back then ever again. I still go to every show they play in Boston (and haven't missed one since that day in 2004), but nothing will ever beat that 2006 tour.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.