Author Topic: Otto Warmbier  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Otto Warmbier
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
So do you guys believe this guy was really stealing the banner for the lady at the church? He got 15 years for taking the banner. If they find out he was lying in court, my guess is he'll be there a lot longer than that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Otto Warmbier
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
I don't believe anything he said under duress at that "press conference" or anything that North Korea said about him.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »
Do you think he even tried to steal the banner?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
We should have a seal team on route to rescue that guy. The amount of human rights violations that occurs in that country seems to get a free pass from the media and our government.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Yeah, probably. Hell, I'd view such a thing as a fantastic souvenir. Wouldn't you? Of course the difference is that I'm not stupid enough to visit a country where my US passport makes me a political bargaining chip. If it wasn't the banner they could just as easily have found some other thing to charge him with.

And ya know, people still try to smuggle drugs out of Thailand.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
Yeah probably, and he is an idiot for doing so.

And I sincerely doubt a SEAL team will be sent in to rescue him.  I would imagine that the US will try to get China involved in talks to get him out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
That's the way it always works. They'll cut him loose in a year or two, just like they do with everybody else they nab. He's a tool (in more ways than one) and they'll use him as such.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
After reading up on some other yanks held in DPRK, there's a pretty simple pattern. They'll hold him for a year and then some high level diplomat (or former basketball player) will show up and take him home. Seems all they really want is some sort of recognition, to appear as a normal player on the world stage. A visit by some dignitary is usually all they really want. As for the conditions, it can range from typical American penitentiary to the Burma Railway. Some people wind up staring at a wall 24 hours a day in a normal cell with food and water, and some starve within a year toiling in the jungle. Seems American males usually get something in between, akin to growing corn at Angola. A shit place to be, but he'll get food and medical care. Ironically, being an American is what caused his plight in the first place, but it's also what will keep him from the conditions that kill so many Koreans.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
Yea, I agree with what's been said.  He likely did it IMO, but obviously the crime is not worth the punishment, it's just a tactic used by NK to not only get some recognition, but maybe something else from our government to get the guy back. 

Honestly, I am fine for having him do the time (assuming he did in fact steal the banner) instead of us sending a diplomat over.  He is an idiot and while I know the punishment is pretty harsh for such a petty crime, the guy had to know what he was doing was a huge risk to himself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
Is his name really "Otto Warm Beer"?   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »

I've been pronouncing it in my head as "Worm-be-ur"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
Of course it's insane to get 15 years for stealing a banner but it's fuckin North Korea..
But you know what else is insane? GOING TO FUCKIN NORTH KOREA!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
Don't know how anybody can decide if he stole the banner.  Is it because he's a college student and still hasn't developed a true sense of consequences that you'd lean toward him doing it?

He wanted a souvenir
NK wanted a souvenir (propaganda / bargaining piece)

Both seem as plausible as the other.  So conclusion:  how would I know?

Ultimate conclusion: the international community needs to start getting better at handling this type of garbage.
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »

I've been pronouncing it in my head as "Worm-be-ur"

It could be:
Warm-beer (as in "Bill Lambier")?
Wom-be-ay
Warm-bay

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
Of course it's insane to get 15 years for stealing a banner but it's fuckin North Korea..
But you know what else is insane? GOING TO FUCKIN NORTH KOREA!

As a general proposition, I kind of lean in this direction.  I know "risk" isn't really "risk" until it actually happens to you, but still. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Hey, a fellow UVa'er (I'd call myself an alum, but I didn't graduate from there. This guy is an Echols scholar. He ain't no dummy. So no way am I going to by that he hasn't developed a true sense of consequences.

Kenneth Bae was a local to my area so his story was always in the news.

Why do people continue to go to places to visit where they really are not wanted?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
Because hipsters.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
Rumor is North Korea is starting a new show similar to the car show where a dude starts with a relatively crap car and keeps making deals and trade offs until he finishes with a flash sports car.

US Tourist.  Dennis Rodman comes to negotiate.  Tourist gets to leave, but Rodman was found stealing towels.

Rodman -> Jesse Jackson -> Al Sharpton

The Al Sharpton episode is a great one as they start to worry dear leader has lost his mind and actually traded down.  They also are thinking of just sending Sharpton back or making him "disappear" because he is that annoying.

Dear Leader steps up and says MSNBC has worked out a deal to trade Sharpton for Keith Olbermann by going over their old contracts.  Dear Leader is heading down the hall to close the deal, but it finally is enough and a coup takes place.  Season Finale.

Will the Season opener show that NK just gave up and returned Sharpton.  Rumors are they will trade for a John Kerry and keep pushing for the ultimate prize.  President Trump is not happy that he is now #2 in the ratings.
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
I dunno why your scenario has NK exclusively capturing black guys and trying to trade them for white guys Calvin :lol

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »
Strange that you noticed race.

Rodman: connection to NK trips
Jackson: connection to negotiating for civilians
Sharpton:  accepted annoying by many (especially on this forum)
John Kerry: Secretary of State

Stop being racist.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
It's "wom-bee-ay" in case anyone cares; at least that's how it was pronounced on the radio last night. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
He's from here in the 'Nati. Everyone here that have been interviewed on local media, say it as being pronounced ''warm -beer".

Not sure why he went to NK, but he and his family are very active in their church. My guess is he went there thinking he could proselytize. The people in the community of Wyoming (suburb of Cincinnati) are being very careful with what they say to the press for fear it will come back on him in the DPRK. Even going so far as to hide their faces from camera view.

So not only taking a chance and traveling there, if he did indeed try and steal the poster it was pretty damn stupid. 15 years is pretty extreme, and I'm sure NK are only trying to get more recognition. Some propaganda bullshit they can use to continue to subvert and subdue their people.

I've seen where defectors from NK wind up completely immersed in primitive Christian churches, not to get "Jesus", but because their lives are so full of worshiping their Supreme Leader, that they need desperatley to fill the need and void for some other type of zealotry. So, I imagine it's pretty fucked up to be there.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
He's a dumb kid who thought it'd be funny to have a NK banner hanging up in his house as some ironic joke to tell his buddies.

Yes, he more or less did it to himself by his own stupidity.

I'd still like to see our government get him home as best they could.