Author Topic: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !  (Read 26661 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
I dunno, all three of those films are really good.  I don't think it would really be controversial to say any of the three is your favorite.

I also don't think it's controversial to say that a 4th one is totally not needed.
inb4 why i'm wrong and a 4th one is totally justified actually

You could argue that 2 and 3 weren't needed. I trust Pixar and have no problem with them keep their franchises going. Also, from a business standpoint, a fourth movie is absolutely needed to coincide with/build up hype for the opening of Toy Story Land in Disney.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
And let's not be under any illusion why sequels are made.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:36 AM »
Or any movie.  They are a business.  You don't make movies to loss money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #353 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:32 AM »
And let's not be under any illusion why sequels are made.

And let's not be under any illusion why movies are made.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: May 18, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »
No. But sequels more blatantly so.

Even if a movie is created from an original idea. A sequel is made purely for the money and not " the continuation of the story " which is the go - to bullshit line.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #355 on: May 18, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
I just wanted everyone to know that I got a little further in Game of Throne and I'm not bored anymore.
I feel it's going to be damned near impossible to avoid major spoilers for this show and you'll have to really stay vigilant online esp in forums that discuss shows. I recently watched the first 3 seasons and had forgotten how dialogue heavy the show is, major stuff happens for sure but the first 3 seasons there is so much conversation going on it's probably 80-90% of each episode. However I feel none of the dialogue is wasted space, I think you'll appreciate every single line when you re-watch the same episodes after completing about 4 seasons. Most of the stuff isn't going to mean much at the time but it provides great context for episodes down the line.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: May 18, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
I just wanted everyone to know that I got a little further in Game of Throne and I'm not bored anymore.
I feel it's going to be damned near impossible to avoid major spoilers for this show and you'll have to really stay vigilant online esp in forums that discuss shows. I recently watched the first 3 seasons and had forgotten how dialogue heavy the show is, major stuff happens for sure but the first 3 seasons there is so much conversation going on it's probably 80-90% of each episode. However I feel none of the dialogue is wasted space, I think you'll appreciate every single line when you re-watch the same episodes after completing about 4 seasons. Most of the stuff isn't going to mean much at the time but it provides great context for episodes down the line.

Could not agree more. I feel that same way.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #357 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »

Even if a movie is created from an original idea. A sequel is made purely for the money and not " the continuation of the story " which is the go - to bullshit line.

Especially when you're dealing with a movie like Toy Story that had nothing left to tell after the first one so they had to make up entirely new storylines for the next two. Both of the sequels just had that direct to video "here's a slapped together thing involving characters you're already familiar with" vibe.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »

Especially when you're dealing with a movie like Toy Story that had nothing left to tell after the first one so they had to make up entirely new storylines for the next two. Both of the sequels just had that direct to video "here's a slapped together thing involving characters you're already familiar with" vibe.

Both the love and success of the sequels say otherwise.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Speaking of controversial, judging by the responses in this thread it might be, but.. Hot Fuzz is my least favorite Frost and Pegg movie. Ironically I've watched it more than all the other ones to try and like but it never does anything for me. If I had to rank the movies they've had together I'd list them as
1, Shaun of the Dead
2, Paul
3, The World's End
4, Hot Fuzz
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #360 on: May 18, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
Speaking of controversial, judging by the responses in this thread it might be, but.. Hot Fuzz is my least favorite Frost and Pegg movie. Ironically I've watched it more than all the other ones to try and like but it never does anything for me. If I had to rank the movies they've had together I'd list them as
1, Shaun of the Dead
2, Paul
3, The World's End
4, Hot Fuzz

I feel like Hot Fuzz is damn near perfect.

1) Hot Fuzz
2) Shaun of the Dead
3) The World's End
4) Paul

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #361 on: May 18, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »

What was it that changed your mind?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: May 18, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
1, Shaun of the Dead
2, Paul
3, The World's End
4, Hot Fuzz

I feel like Hot Fuzz is damn near perfect.

1) Hot Fuzz
2) Shaun of the Dead
3) The World's End
4) Paul

Yeah Paul is utter dog shit. Sorely missing Edgar Wright.

Most Pegg lead vehicles  without Edgar are shit movies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #363 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
Not really a movie opinion... but I started Game of Thrones. I'm 5 episodes in and I am bored out of my mind.
Goddammit Chino

Nothing exciting has happened yet. Outside of Bran getting pushed out the window in episode 1, nothing really interesting has captured my attention. The only emotion I've really felt so far was when Stark had to kill his kid's dire wolf.

Wait...out of all the people on this forum, YOU can't relate to this?  I have no words...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
Not really a movie opinion... but I started Game of Thrones. I'm 5 episodes in and I am bored out of my mind.
Goddammit Chino

Nothing exciting has happened yet. Outside of Bran getting pushed out the window in episode 1, nothing really interesting has captured my attention. The only emotion I've really felt so far was when Stark had to kill his kid's dire wolf.

Wait...out of all the people on this forum, YOU can't relate to this?  I have no words...

You know, my girlfriend said the exact same thing  :lol She said something like "Really? No reaction of any kind? Not even from a personal standpoint?". To be honest, I rarely think of that event. It didn't even cross my mind when watching that scene play out. Only reason it did was because she brought it up.

What was it that changed your mind?

Shortly after that wine merchant tried to poison Khaleesi, Drogo went into a rage speech about crossing the sea on wooden horses and taking back the throne her father sat on as a gift to his son. It was really intense and got me pretty pumped up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:39:13 PM by Chino »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #365 on: May 18, 2016, 12:21:40 PM »
Indeed, it was an inspiring and intense speech. The Dothraki are truculent individuals.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
truculent

• adjective

eager or quick to argue or fight; aggressively defiant.
"the truculent attitude of farmers to cheaper imports"
synonyms:   defiant, aggressive, antagonistic, belligerent, pugnacious, bellicose, combative, confrontational, ready for a fight, hostile, obstreperous, argumentative, quarrelsome, contentious, uncooperative;

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »
Sweet.

I dunno, all three of those films are really good.  I don't think it would really be controversial to say any of the three is your favorite.

I also don't think it's controversial to say that a 4th one is totally not needed.
inb4 why i'm wrong and a 4th one is totally justified actually

You could argue that 2 and 3 weren't needed. I trust Pixar and have no problem with them keep their franchises going.
This exactly.  Good Christ, none of the Star Trek sequels are needed, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
Finished GOT S01 last night.

Dope.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

We get it. Some people don't like them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »

No, you apparently don't get it, because that's not what I'm talking about. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »

And enough people do to generate Toy Story 3 $415,000,000 in the US and more than $1B worldwide. I can't wait for the 4th movie. The fact that it's not 'needed' isn't necessarily a bad thing. The fact that they aren't beholden to a particular story line means they can be as creative and as new and fresh as they want.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »

In addition to them not being liked by some people he's saying they weren't needed, either. ;-)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #373 on: May 20, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
Finished GOT S01 last night.

Dope.

Dragons, FTW! Right? Dragons and boobies, FTW!

I know this is nitpicking but I wish they had made her hair silver, like in the books. I think it would have looked killer.