Author Topic: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !  (Read 26650 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
High Fidelity is another good one.
One of my favourite movies. A rare case of the film being a LOT better than the book, and an even rarer case of that being the case even though the book was great to begin with.

And since this is the controversial opinions thread, I'll also call it the best movie that revolves around music.

And Jack Black is perfect in this movie because he doesn't go out to play a lovably funny dick, he goes out to play an asshole manchild and he nails it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:07 AM »
Watched Ghostbusters for the first time over the weekend. While somewhat entertaining, I have no idea why that movie is considers as big of a classic as it is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
Chino, did your parents lock you inside a cupboard and forget about you for your entire childhood? Like wtf.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
Watched Ghostbusters for the first time over the weekend. While somewhat entertaining, I have no idea why that movie is considers as big of a classic as it is.

I think there's a lot of movies like that, that would just look silly when viewed for the first time today, through modern day movie glasses.

I had a 'discussion' with a guy in his late 30s that watched the Goonies for the first time recently and said it was total rubbish. What?? You can't just insult a classic like that unchallenged..  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
Chino, did your parents lock you inside a cupboard and forget about you for your entire childhood? Like wtf.
The world wants to know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
I kinda see where Chino is coming from since I do believe that the context in which someone sees a movie for the first time, especially one considered a classic, needs to be considered. Sometimes when I see those nostalgia posts on Facebook about movies like Hook I can't help but roll my eyes. To quote my old college roommate: "I'd rewatch movies I loved as a kid but I'd rather not ruin my memory of them. Let's be honest, 95% of them absolutely suck."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
Sure there are a lot of old movies that we only have fondness for out of nostalgia. Then are are other old movies that we still love because they hold up as genuinely great movies for any era. Ghostbusters falls into that latter category imo.
There are a lot of these classic movies that I've only watched relatively recently (like the original Indiana Jones trilogy). Some of them I'll still enjoy, but there's a major factor of "you had to be there" to it. Some other movies are timeless classics that are just as easily enjoyed as a first time viewer.

I think I'm more used to viewing things in context than most people though, plus my fondness for certain eras, so I usually appreciate old movies for what they are.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »
I hated High Fidelity. I thought it was way too pretentious.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
Star Wars and Star Trek movies do absolutely nothing for me. Sure, it's cool to watch the original Star Wars trilogy, but it's not like I'm geeking out over them.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
Me too. The romantic aspect I just don't care about, but the constant references to albums, tracklistings, mixtapes, Top 5 lists, etc. makes it fun for me to watch. It's like - 'wait, so I wasn't a weirdo when I was 14!'.

(eventhough, yeah, we all are weirdos)

Plus, I can't understand why Jack Black choses "Walking On Sunshine" to headbang on the store - I always thought, knowing him, that he would have chosen some Sabbath or Zeppelin or AC/DC. At least he became much more famous on his own and got to put all his rock love in his movies.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
Me too. The romantic aspect I just don't care about, but the constant references to albums, tracklistings, mixtapes, Top 5 lists, etc. makes it fun for me to watch. It's like - 'wait, so I wasn't a weirdo when I was 14!'.

(eventhough, yeah, we all are weirdos)

Is that your photo?  You look like the guy who played Desmond on the television show, Lost.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
Reservoir Dogs is one of Tarantino's weakest movies by far  :corn

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
Is that your photo?  You look like the guy who played Desmond on the television show, Lost.

Ha! I just googled him (because I never watched Lost). I don't really see it, but maybe it's this picture only.

I actually look exacty like Jasper Cillissen (the Netherland's goalkeeper, who was also born in 1989). In fact, in 2014 (after the match between Netherlands and Argentina), one student asked me if I was his twin brother separated at birth or something.

I've also been compared to Chris Martin, and this guy:

Who is a famous (but overall stupid) TV host.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

I'd probably say it's my favorite. It's really great, down-to-the-point 100 minutes of movie magic, unlike modern Tarantino films that are twice that length. With the exception of Pulp Fiction I think most of his newer films suffer mostly from being too long. They're all mostly great, but take Hateful Eight for example. That was 2 ½ hours in a cabin. No way that needed to be so long.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »

Ha! I just googled him (because I never watched Lost). I don't really see it, but maybe it's this picture only.

I actually look exacty like Jasper Cillissen (the Netherland's goalkeeper, who was also born in 1989). In fact, in 2014 (after the match between Netherlands and Argentina), one student asked me if I was his twin brother separated at birth or something.

I've also been compared to Chris Martin, and this guy:

Who is a famous (but overall stupid) TV host.

Yeah, sorry about that.  :lol   I did a quick glance and since I've been watching every season the past week or so, those characters are fresh in my mind.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that.  :lol   I did a quick glance and since I've been watching every season the past week or so, those characters are fresh in my mind.

Not Penny's Boat!!

I loved LOST! Stuck with it right to the end when so many folks I know gave up on it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

I'd probably say it's my favorite. It's really great, down-to-the-point 100 minutes of movie magic, unlike modern Tarantino films that are twice that length.
I agree.  Reservoir Dogs is perfect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »

Not Penny's Boat!!

I loved LOST! Stuck with it right to the end when so many folks I know gave up on it.

Don't say too much yet. :lol I'm only up to season 5. It's when they first get back to the island and they're trapped in 1977. I'm still enjoying it, even with the time travel story angle.

I'd probably say it's my favorite. It's really great, down-to-the-point 100 minutes of movie magic, unlike modern Tarantino films that are twice that length.

:iagree:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
Don't say too much yet. :lol I'm only up to season 5. It's when they first get back to the island and they're trapped in 1977. I'm still enjoying it, even with the time travel story angle.

Ah! Sorry Brother :) For some reason I thought you said re-watching.

Say no more, say no more..  :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
My controversial TV opinion would be that I loved Lost through all 6 seasons and the finale was actually one of my favorite episodes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »

Ah! Sorry Brother :) For some reason I thought you said re-watching.

Say no more, say no more..  :)

No worries, brother.

I should end very post with ,"brother".

Most people probably think Benjamin is a prick, but I like his character. He has his own way about things and he's a lot easier to trust if you know how to follow his train of thought.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
I wouldn't say Reservoir Dogs is perfect, but for what it tries to be, it is about as close as you can get.

I haven't seen the Hateful 8, but I assume the problem is that he tried to make it his Sergio Leone epic, without Leone's sense of style and storytelling. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a story about 3 guys looking for the same stash of gold. There is no way it should be a ~3 hour long movie. But there are so many entertaining nuances and beautiful shots that it doesn't seem like it is as long as it is. There is no reason we need to see 3 minutes of Tuco running around the graveyard, or his and Blondie's detour in to the Civil War camp. But they add so much to their journey. And by the time you get to the final 3-way showdown, you are so wrapped up in that journey you have been on with these three guys, the climax is more than worth the wait.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »

I liked it, but besides a few plot twists, it didn't blow me away or anything, so I don't get the hype at all. Unnecesarily violent too.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
And since this is the controversial opinions thread, I'll also call it the best movie that revolves around music.
Mm, having seen Spinal Tap, All You Need Is Cash/Can't Buy Me Lunch, The Dewey Cox Story (with Jack as Paul McCartney), School Of Rock & Tenacious D (also with Jack), or Whiplash (the only serious one, focusing on Jazz), I'm not sure about that.

To me, High Fidelity is 3/4 romantic comedy + 1/4 music; the others focus much more on music, so they are more interesting to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Walk Hard is amazing.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »
Walk Hard is amazing.
Yes, 'Walk'... Jenna Fischer... 'Hard'...  :heart

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »

... Maybe your songs will still suck when I'm 64  :rollin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
I dunno if this is controversial because I can't imagine anyone enjoying it...

..but the Angelina Jolie movie film " Wanted ".

What a crock of shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2016, 10:15:20 PM »
I haven't seen it, but that doesn't sound controversial to me. It looked like it sucked.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
I dunno if this is controversial because I can't imagine anyone enjoying it...

..but the Angelina Jolie movie film " Wanted ".

What a crock of shit.

It's a movie about making bullets curve. .............I was going to make this a joke, but I think that description did the job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2016, 03:37:58 AM »

I think there's a lot of movies like that, that would just look silly when viewed for the first time today, through modern day movie glasses.

I had a 'discussion' with a guy in his late 30s that watched the Goonies for the first time recently and said it was total rubbish. What?? You can't just insult a classic like that unchallenged..  :lol

I've seen The Goonies a gazillion times, so maybe I'm just tired of it, but I never want to watch it again, and looking back, it really wasn't THAT great. A nice little adventure movie, with memorable moments, but certainly not OMG CLASSIC MASTERPIECE. Plus, I think The Monster Squad is better, and even though I've also seen it a gazillion times, and am overall tired of it, I could still watch it again. The creature effects still look great.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »

I've seen The Goonies a gazillion times, so maybe I'm just tired of it, but I never want to watch it again, and looking back, it really wasn't THAT great. A nice little adventure movie, with memorable moments, but certainly not OMG CLASSIC MASTERPIECE. Plus, I think The Monster Squad is better, and even though I've also seen it a gazillion times, and am overall tired of it, I could still watch it again. The creature effects still look great.

Never done the "truffle shuffle"?  :biggrin:
There's just something about the whole secret pirate gold adventure that brings out the big kid in me. It's interesting what kids today think of movies that we absolutely loved as kids ourselves. My two boys like the Goonies, but it wouldn't be particularly special to them. They view all the Star Wars movies on a level playing field - they don't really have an opinion on the OT vs the PT. It's just all Star Wars to them.

I can see I still have some work to do there...  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2016, 06:06:33 AM »

I've never seen The Goonies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2016, 06:10:34 AM »
It's not that great really.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2016, 06:17:35 AM »
It's still good, but it's not a movie that will impress new viewers by any stretch. Chino definitely won't like it.