Author Topic: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !  (Read 26591 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Your Controversial Movie Opinions !
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »
1. What are your opinions on This Is Spinal Tap? A masterpiece? Overrated? Boring?
(For me it would be 'masterpiece'. David actually looks like 1984-James Hetfield!)

2. What are your opinions on Jack Black? Probably my favourite actor/comedian.
(I grew up on Shallow Hal, School Of Rock, Nacho Libre, Tenacious D, and more recently Bernie and Be Kind Rewind).

Not sure I would call Spinal Tap a masterpiece, but I like it ok. I think it makes a lot more sense if you are a musician, or big into music rather than just a casual music fan. A lot of folks I know just don't really get it, and think it's just stupid. It's probably like Office Space - if you've never worked in an office environment, you probably won't get it either.

I like Jack Black, but his range is pretty limited. School Of Rock is probably my favourite of his. High Fidelity is another good one. Some of his other movies where he has some sort of romantic role (Shallow Hal, The Holiday) don't work as well imo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
1. What are your opinions on This Is Spinal Tap? A masterpiece? Overrated? Boring?
(For me it would be 'masterpiece'. David actually looks like 1984-James Hetfield!)
I think it is great, but it's not that good.  In other words, it is a genius piece of satire with some absolutely hilarious bits, but as a whole it isn't something that has a lot of replay value for me.

(I grew up on Shallow Hal, School Of Rock, Nacho Libre, Tenacious D, and more recently Bernie and Be Kind Rewind).
I think he is awful.  In general, I hate one-trick ponies, and he is one of the one-trickiest I know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »
Caddyshack is just ok and not all that funny.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
I think he is awful.  In general, I hate one-trick ponies, and he is one of the one-trickiest I know.

That's why I was so surprised when watching Bernie - such a different performance from him.
I haven't watched The D Train yet, so I don't know if his role there is as usual, or different. I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »

I can understand why people don't like him, but I don't think it's fair to call him a one trick pony. With the exception of Stranger Than Fiction, Will Farrell is a one trick pony.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »
It's not fair to call Jack Black a one-trick pony because Will Farrell is a one-trick pony?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
It's not fair to call Jack Black a one-trick pony because Will Farrell is a one-trick pony?

No no no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Will Farrell is a one trick pony. Pretty much every movie role he's ever done is the exact same character. At least Jack Black's roles vary quite a bit between movies (Bernie, King Kong, Saving Silverman). He can play music really well and can play it live. He can do a lot.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »

No no no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Will Farrell is a one trick pony. Pretty much every movie role he's ever done is the exact same character. At least Jack Black's roles vary quite a bit between movies (Bernie, King Kong, Saving Silverman). He can play music really well and can play it live. He can do a lot.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of his but he's definitely more versatile than Will Ferrell. 

Adding to the thread, it's rare that I find Will Ferrell funny. He was funny in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, The Producers, and the Celebrity Jeopardy skits. After that, just go away.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »

When talking about acting, I'm not sure what difference it makes that Black can play music.

I'm not sure I see much difference between the two, except that I find Black's one trick more annoying than Ferrell's one trick.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »
I can understand why people don't like him, but I don't think it's fair to call him a one trick pony. With the exception of Stranger Than Fiction, Will Farrell is a one trick pony.

I would also add Everything Must Go - a nice comedy-drama in the vein of Stranger Than Fiction.

Talking about Will Ferrell - this always puts a smile on my face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWHyBOk2iQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBOtQOO70Y

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
I hated The Prestige

[SPOILER ALERT]
I was hoping for some clever twist grounded in reality. Nope. Fucking duplication, like Calvin and Hobbes. lulz
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
Accidental double post.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:56:33 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
It's probably controversial to say that The Dark Knight wouldn't be in my top3 favorite Chris Nolan films. (Memento is my favorite and Inception/Prestige would be behind)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
It's probably controversial to say that The Dark Knight wouldn't be in my top3 favorite Chris Nolan films. (Memento is my favorite and Inception/Prestige would be behind)

I liked Inception and The Prestige, but wasn't that keen on Memento. I must watch it a second time to see if I change my mind on it. How did you find Interstellar?

A movie I've always liked, but which gets a lot of hate is The 13th Warrior (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120657/?ref_=nv_sr_2) . It's a retelling of Beowulf. Not sure why everyone hates it, but I thought it was very well done. It does have one of those "suddenly I can speak your language fluently after hearing it for only 5 minutes" moments though..

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
I liked Interstellar a lot actually, more than the majority I'd say. Either that one or TDK would be nr4 for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
I hated The Prestige

[SPOILER ALERT]
I was hoping for some clever twist grounded in reality. Nope. Fucking duplication, like Calvin and Hobbes. lulz

ALSO SPOILERY

I don't mind that it went sci fi at the end. . . My problem was that the twist was what it looked like the entire time so it was like "...um...yeah and ? " ...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
I don't think the Prestige ending was supposed to be an "OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE THAT" twist, like in the 6th Sense.

I think it's more about the emotional and philosophical impact of the fact that the Hugh Jackman who starts the trick, does it knowing that there's a 50/50 shot he's going die as a result. And the other 50/50 is letting a clone die. It's pretty damn heavy if you get past the desire for shock value.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »
I don't think the Prestige ending was supposed to be an "OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE THAT" twist, like in the 6th Sense.

I think it's more about the emotional and philosophical impact of the fact that the Hugh Jackman who starts the trick, does it knowing that there's a 50/50 shot he's going die as a result. And the other 50/50 is letting a clone die. It's pretty damn heavy if you get past the desire for shock value.

I get it but the way Caine was saying " You don't want to accept the truth - you want to be fooled " just as the camera shows all the dead clones - as if the actual ending was meant to be a surprise...

Online Adami

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
Possibly talking about the denial that he must go through, and also the fact that the audience (not necessarily you) are happy to be blissfully ignorant of all the pain and suffering that comes at the expense of their entertainment.

But sure, if you just wanted a twist ending, it's not really all that twisty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
I love the movie though ! :)

It's one of my favourite Chris Nolan movies.

The first time I saw it - I was expecting a different ending . :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
I find it weird when actors speak in the same "put-on" accent in interviews that they have in the film it's promoting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »
I find it weird when actors speak in the same "put-on" accent in interviews that they have in the film it's promoting.

When does this happen? I actually wish Hugh Jackman or Andrew Lincoln would talk as their characters from X-Men and The Walking Dead in interviews. Same with Hugh Laurie as House. I've never seen an actor stay in character for an interview.

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »

When does this happen?

I have no idea, outside of people like Sacha Baron Cohen interviewing as one of his characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2016, 09:35:04 PM »
I believe Christian Bale has done this specially with Batman

Online Adami

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »

I am positive you mean he spoke in an American accent, but I am laughing at the idea of Christian Bale answering questions in the crazy dog bark Batman voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2016, 02:03:11 AM »

I am positive you mean he spoke in an American accent, but I am laughing at the idea of Christian Bale answering questions in the crazy dog bark Batman voice.

"So Christian, what do you bring to Batman that stands out from the other actors who've put on the cowl?"

"IM NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS."

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
There's that scene in Batman Begins where Lucius Fox shows Bruce the designs for the army vehicle tumbler that were never used.

Wouldn't someone see the Bat Mobile driving around and go " Hang on......those designs were given to ...Wayne Enterprises...! "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »

When does this happen?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2016, 08:10:49 AM »
I love the movie Phone Booth (2003). I'm not generally into big Hollywood thrillers or Collin Farrell, but that movie is so addictive in my opinion.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
I love the movie Phone Booth (2003). I'm not generally into big Hollywood thrillers or Collin Farrell, but that movie is so addictive in my opinion.

Phone Booth is great. For being in one location most of the movie it must not have cost a whole lot to make, so why the hell is the blood purple?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
I don't think Will Ferrell is funny. I think he often times resorts to yelling to try and make a situation more awkward and funny.

Also, Insomnia is a massively underrated movie and I think it's better than Inception and Interstellar.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

Yes, that was a good one.

I don't think Will Ferrell is funny. I think he often times resorts to yelling to try and make a situation more awkward and funny.

Also, Insomnia is a massively underrated movie and I think it's better than Inception and Interstellar.

I find WF pretty hit and miss. I like some of his earlier stuff, like Old School, Zoolander, etc where he wasn't the main character. Having said that, Elf absolutely has to be watched every year at Christmas time in our house!! :)

Insomnia was very good too. Definitely one of Robin Williams' best performances. I'm not sure if I could really compare it to those other two though. It's just too different. Kind of an apples vs oranges thing for me.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »

Agree on Will Ferrel. I cringe on most of his movies.
Also, Insomnia is great and surely underrated but I like both Inception and Interstellar better.
My controversial opinion: Lord of the Rings is not that great. It's ok but not marathon and countless times watching worthy (and I know many people do that).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
I've never laughed at anything he has ever said or done. I can't stand him.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
He has done some fun stuff, personally I thought Step Brothers was hilarious. But a lot of other roles have fallen flat for me.