Author Topic: Malcolm-Jamal Warner on the Bill Cosby Scandal  (Read 1001 times)

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Malcolm-Jamal Warner on the Bill Cosby Scandal
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »
I think we're seeing a diversion between practical and principle. We've got posts that MJW probably doesn't make much money off of this anyway, and that the networks are free to dump the show if they want. This is at least partly true. Some of us are also discussing the rightness or wrongness of what has happened, though. TCS was shown all over the place, nearly constantly. Hell, Seventh Heaven is shown 3 times a day, every day, on my local cable. This clearly ceased as a result of the allegations coming to light. It wasn't a simple programming decision that nobody wants to see it anymore. Calvin and I, in a freakish concurrence of opinion, are highlighting the fact that major irrationality is harming damn near everybody but Cosby. Hell, that probably includes the networks that are afraid to show the thing anymore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »
I haven't seen The Cosby Show anywhere in years.  *shrugs*

And no, it's not that no one wants to see it.  It's that the programmers worry that no one WILL want to see it, thereby making it a bad investment.

The only color involved here is green.  If certain stations still show Seventh Heaven, it's because they are still making money with it.  And keep in mind that that was a real ensemble show; Stephen Collins was arguably the main star on it, but it wasn't The Stephen Collins Show.  Also, he isn't a big enough star by name that the average non-informed citizen would know him.  They just watch the show.  Every fucking body knows who Bill Cosby is, which is good in good times and awful in bad times.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »
And no, it's not that no one wants to see it.  It's that the programmers worry that no one WILL want to see it, thereby making it a bad investment.
Sorry, Hef, but I don't think this could be more wrong. TCS was aired everywhere until the middle of last year. The fact that none of us watched it doesn't matter. The show was pulled specifically because of the allegations, which TVLand and BET have both been perfectly up front about. BET was airing it 4 hours a day, which leads me to believe it was profitable for them. Their cancellation of it was "out of respect to our audience." While I agree that it is about that green, their concern was about a possible backlash and not because they felt it wouldn't be profitable, which I gather is what you were trying to say.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
Backlash would translate to not profitable, or more importantly, COULD so translate.

Besides, it is because of who it is.  It is Bill Cosby.  MJW was asking the difference between him and those other names.  That's the difference.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:10:27 AM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
Every fucking body knows who Bill Cosby is
You just made the point as to why this wasn't simply a lack of interest by the viewer.
I'm saying it isn't racial or anything like that.  It's that it's Bill Cosby, and it's Stephen Collins.  Networks wouldn't have to cancel Seventh Heaven, because it's Stephen Collins.

And I never said it was for lack of interest by the viewer.  It's purely a decision by the programmer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
Backlash would translate to not profitable, or more importantly, COULD so translate.

Besides, it is because of who it is.  It is Bill Cosby.  MJW was asking the difference between him and those other names.  That's the difference.

But unless and until the ratings go down, the "backlash" is back to the Mob mentality. If they took it off because they'd just rather not deal with the shitstorm, that's wrong.  I think that might be the way el Barto's thoughts are heading.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:10:39 AM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »
And I never said it was for lack of interest by the viewer.  It's purely a decision by the programmer.
Then your point is at odds with itself and incoherent.
OK.