Author Topic: Microaggressions  (Read 629 times)

Offline Calvin6s

Microaggressions
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:56 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
Re: Microaggressions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:33:10 PM »
For being a relatively old term, if indeed that is true and I have no reason to doubt you, I had never heard of this term until a month or two ago. But I am a white, heterosexual male, so what do I know?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:45 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
We're never going to get rid of microaggressions in our current society.

It's like postulating, "Once we get rid of racism and hatred, what do we do?" It ain't gonna happen, sadly. It's a goal that we continuously aim to achieve.

Edit: Re-reading the OP, I should also point out that just because some people take this idea way too far, does not delegitimatize the idea in and of itself.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:26:17 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:35 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »
That last bit makes no logical sense. I guess we don't need to worry about micro-organisms?

That being said I don't really know what a microaggression is. Is that like a microexpression?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Edit: Re-reading the OP, I should also point out that just because some people take this idea way too far, does not delegitimatize the idea in and of itself.

But the delegitimization comes from those that take it too far.  And when you start with "micro", it has taken it too far.

No to both. Extremists do not delegitimize anything but the extreme stance, just like ISIS doesn't delegitimize Islam, or Al Sharpton delegitimize civil rights.

And no, starting with the word micro does not take it too far. It's super easy for a white guy to be annoyed by the concept, but I can assure you, non-majority people don't share your disregard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:24 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
Because they are racist with their microaggressions toward me.

Seriously though.  Saying white people don't understand is ........... a microaggression.  I will be expecting a public apology   :angel:

Good, then I'm glad we've established that they are real.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:12 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 09:35:39 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:01 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
Sorry, not a popular position to take, but I tend to think that this veers into the "we've got to keep the idea alive that we are oppressed, even in the face of great strides" territory.  From the article: "In fact, some might see this whole microaggression concept as just a way to keep grievance going in an America where it gets ever harder to call people on naked bigotry." 

This is really turning the table too far into the "it doesn't matter HOW you mean it, it matters ONLY how I take it" area.   We have to - as I say often - tend our own garden.   I think there's a degree to which ALL people have insecurities, and to give special credence to those when they can be hung on "race" or "gender" (even when, in fact, they aren't about either) is really going too far in my opinion.

We either want to solve this or not, and at some point there has to be a truce in the war.  I have to be as sensitive as I can be, and I understand that given history there are few passes, so this isn't "50-50"; as a white male, I have to go farther.   But at some point, the minority has to say "enough is enough; there is no intent to denigrate me, and any feelings of insecurity are likely my HUMAN insecurities, not systemic ones".

The example given in the article about the journalist Toure is a case in point:  there are literally 50 reasons for that question that DON'T involve race - including the journal for which he writes, the geography, the subject matter - that to automatically conclude that it IS race I think is negligent. 

I think we've come to the point where there is a paradox:  we are being asked to DENY race, when to do so is itself the very problem that led us to the denial in the first place. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
We have to - as I say often - tend our own garden.
I get what you're saying, but doesn't that only really work as policy if EVERYONE tends their own garden?

Not to mention that some people have nicer gardens than others to begin with.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:55:38 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
And 99% of the gardens can't grow because the 1% is taking all the sun.
Gee, you think so?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
We have to - as I say often - tend our own garden.
I get what you're saying, but doesn't that only really work as policy if EVERYONE tends their own garden?

Not to mention that some people have nicer gardens than others to begin with.

Well it certainly works BETTER, but to some degree it takes care of itself.  of course it's not perfect, nothing is, but not only does it allow focus on the select few that don't tend their garden, but it simplifies the solutions for dealing with those that don't.

I don't see what the condition of the garden matters; for the most part I'm talking about the intangible interactions between people.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:55:57 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 06:31:56 AM »
And 99% of the gardens can't grow because the 1% is taking all the sun.
Gee, you think so?

Gee, do *I* think so?

No
Then why the fuck did you even post that?  Because I certainly don't think so, and didn't say so.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
It just seems like over the past week Calvin has been making more and more short baiting posts. What the hell, dude?

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:56:10 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
I give the same respect I'm given.
You seem to have been more short-fused, antagonistic, and almost trolling lately (see above).  Almost as if you are taking everything here personally, when no one else is.

Not sure why we can't just, you know, discuss stuff without you being in "argument mode" or snarky all the time.  It's been especially bad with you and Stadler.  Knock it off.  Please.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
I give the same respect I'm given.

I'll admit I'm guilty of having been a jerk on here, but this is honestly probably the most level headed and respectful place I've seen politics discussed on the internet.

I know I rarely agree with your opinions. But lately your posts have seemed to just be making less and less sense in general. Is something going on?

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:56:31 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
Yes, all of that.

But also all of the stuff that Implode and I have been noticing and posted up above.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:56:40 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
OK, good.