Author Topic: Favourite Catchiest Best Most Perfect Pop Song?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Favourite Catchiest Best Most Perfect Pop Song?
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 11:51:22 PM »
What about Abba -  Dancing Queen :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »
This is "Un Día Mejor" ('A Better Day'), a song by Ethereos - a pop band from my city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDg7DPUkg0
The song is really catchy - it sounds like a Pixies or Weezer rip-off, really. It's from their 2015 debut, but they uploaded it with a video just a few weeks ago.

Besides the song being catchy, you have a cute girl in the video, and you get to see some nice beaches from the south of Argentina.
Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:21:41 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »

I think Knowing Me, Knowing You is a bit more catchy, but Dancing Queen is still (annoyingly) catchy. :lol :lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »

I think Knowing Me, Knowing You is a bit more catchy, but Dancing Queen is still (annoyingly) catchy. :lol :lol

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" is my favourite ABBA song! :) Such a cool guitar riff/melody in the middle and outro.

That one and "Does Your Mother Know".

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
The greatest perfect pop song ever made probably is Pop! Goes My Heart, from the aptly titled band Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVkU8dDSC9w
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline dparrott

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
To be honest, most pop music today sounds annoying to me.  I can take 80's pop just fine, but not this stuff.  I heard Call Me Maybe in Kohl's recently, I wanted to plug my ears.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »
Mansun has done some great happy songs:
Decisions Decisions https://youtu.be/-KmhUo7SMeE  ...that chorus  :heart
My Idea Of Fun https://youtu.be/N3PZtynapGY
Electric Man https://youtu.be/rg9AhRvx9J8 another great chorus

It doesn't get much happier than Frente, sounds like a kids song:
https://youtu.be/XdJYrkra0nk
Notice how the vocals aren't blasting.  That's another problem I have with pop today, the loudness makes it annoying to me.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »
At the moment Can't Stop the Feeling! by Timberlake is completly stuck in my head. I never dance unless there's some form of alcohol involved but even that may not lose me enough to move my body in some form of pattern. This song dosen't help me much in that regard though however the pure and simple message to make people happy and dance is so brilliantly done. The tempo is perfect, it's catchy and it's groovy. Brilliant pop song with a clear and simple message.

https://youtu.be/r-oQborxIgU?t=1m37s
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2016, 05:52:04 PM »
Here are a few of my favorite pop songs:

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (or basically almost anything off of Off the Wall or Thriller)
St. Lucia - Elevate
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Hanson - MmmBop
Ace of Base - The Sign
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Savage Garden - I Want You
White Town - Your Woman
Garbage - Stupid Girl
Junior Senior - Move Your Feet
Coldplay - Clocks
Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
Dirty Loops - Hit Me
Clean Bandit - Rather Be
Echosmith - Cool Kids

Just as a start ;)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" is my favourite ABBA song! :) Such a cool guitar riff/melody in the middle and outro.

That one and "Does Your Mother Know".

The best Abba songs where never hits despite excellent videos recorded at the time for some reason.

Check out  Eagle, The Piper, Head Over Heels, When I Kissed the Teacher, Under Attack, I´m a Marionette, Soldiers etc. All of them have evergreen potential and will propably  grow in popularity as time goes by.

Even Happy New year and Thank You for the music  were only a minor hits when released.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
I've always said that ABBA's best songs are the ones where they've stretched out a bit. Eagle, The Visitors (wonderfully creepy; not what you'd expect from them at all) and the absolute masterpiece that is The Day Before You Came.

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 01:19:27 PM »
I've always said that ABBA's best songs are the ones where they've stretched out a bit. Eagle, The Visitors (wonderfully creepy; not what you'd expect from them at all) and the absolute masterpiece that is The Day Before You Came.

I agree. I´m a marionette for instance is a great example. Michael B. Tretow the producer propably pushed them a lot.  They reinvented themselves in a very clever way. Listen to the Album for instance. The songs are so different and still you can hear that it´s the same songwriters due to the style.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

First one that came to mind.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »

That's a good one, although I think God Only Knows is their magnum opus
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »

That's a good one, although I think God Only Knows is their magnum opus

Y'know it's funny, I love The Beach Boys yet I just don't feel that song as much as most others. It's a very pretty song, but I just don't think that's enough for it to compete with the best of their repertoire. In any case, I thought Wouldn't It Be Nice fit the best with the title description. For me their magnum opus is Surf's Up. Easily one of my favourite songs of all time. :)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2016, 06:24:06 PM »
Check out  Eagle, The Piper, Head Over Heels, When I Kissed the Teacher, Under Attack, I´m a Marionette, Soldiers etc. All of them have evergreen potential and will propably  grow in popularity as time goes by.

Even Happy New year and Thank You for the music  were only a minor hits when released.
Will do. I'm curious because the only ABBA music I've listened to is my parents' Gold compilation, and "Lovelight" (which was the "Chiquitita" b-side, I believe). There's a record store in my town which still has copies of the expanded 3-CD Gold, so maybe I'll buy it now in June (I'm buying only one album per month).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
I had never the song before a few months ago, which will seem hard to believe, but Bad Romance by Lady Gaga has one helluva catchy chorus for a pop song. The verses are kind of bland and a let down compared to everything else, but that chorus is very infectious.

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:33 AM »

Will do. I'm curious because the only ABBA music I've listened to is my parents' Gold compilation, and "Lovelight" (which was the "Chiquitita" b-side, I believe). There's a record store in my town which still has copies of the expanded 3-CD Gold, so maybe I'll buy it now in June (I'm buying only one album per month).

I love their sound for sure and the surprise factor if you are not too familiar. I remember listening to an album with cheesy songs like I Do, I Do, I Do and then Rock Me and the song after that was a "neoclassical artrock" instrumental called Intermezzo 1. Talk about surprising contrasts.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
I love The Cardigans!  Here's another great one of theirs: https://youtu.be/7bK5EPjGri4