Author Topic: Wish You Were Here - New cover  (Read 13056 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: Wish You Were Here - New cover
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »
Meanwhile Jordan plays with music sheets in front of him and nobody ever cared about it  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »
Only if Jordan cooled it with his keyboard wankery it would've been one of their best covers ever. JP impressed me with his high harmonies, and JLB tried to emulate Gilmour and did a decent job at it. He kept looking at what seemed like a lyric cheat sheet though wtf!

Oh come on. The dude currently has to remember every lyric to The Astonishing. It's okay to not remember the lyrics to a one-off cover.

I think that's something James has done in the past. Maybe he just has a bad memory. I won't criticize him for that.

Pray tell, how are people then supposed to indicate that they think Jordan plays too many notes?  With your argument, one must never not like a thing Jordan does, because if he didn't do it, it wouldn't be Jordan.

The notion of "playing too many notes" is dumb, as is the notion of turning to a punk band and saying "you're not playing enough notes". You seem to have completely missed my point; I say it's totally fine/expectable/understandable for anyone not to like what Jordan's doing, my objection is with the concept of "playing too many notes"... I must presume you're either trolling me or are unable to read.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic though - if people said "I wish Jordan would be more subtle" is wouldn't bother me. But Jordan just isn't subtle is he? And that's his choice, it's not "right" or "wrong" like some people seem to make out.

But JR can play more subtly. We usually don't make note of it because it's....subtle. And a lot of us like it when he plays more subtly. It's all about context. If a song is written to be subtle, and then JR comes and gets rid of the subtlety because whatever reason he has, we have every right to make note of it.

It's not like JR wrote this song. He is literally adding notes to someone else's song. That's kind of the very definition of playing too many notes.

I think taking that literally, then yes he was playing too many notes because the song requires less notes. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2016, 03:43:42 AM »
In his defense, the lyrics to Wish you were here are actually very complicated. He does look like he's reading off a lyrics sheet, but I can't see where it is located.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2016, 03:51:03 AM »
Not a big deal if JLB has to look at a lyric sheet. Not everyone knows the song word for word.

Indeed, some songs are famous enough that you're able to know them without proper rehearsals first, but it doesn't mean you know all the exact lyrics... Jordan as well had the sheets in front of him anyway!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2016, 06:14:22 AM »
I think that's something James has done in the past. Maybe he just has a bad memory. I won't criticize him for that. 

I really have to defend that, he has a crazy good memory (of lyrics and timing) and proved that in his whole DT career.
Small mistakes or reading lyrics for a cover are nothing compared to all that goes well imo.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2016, 06:38:09 AM »

I really have to defend that, he has a crazy good memory (of lyrics and timing) and proved that in his whole DT career.
Small mistakes or reading lyrics for a cover are nothing compared to all that goes well imo.

Maybe someone else can back up what I'm saying, but like I said I am pretty sure he has done this in the past. Maybe at the beginning of a tour or something. I could be wrong but it has nothing to do with the song being a cover. Remembering timing and remembering hundreds of words throughout a show are not the same thing. Like I said, I'm not criticizing him, I'm just bringing up something that has happened before.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:21 AM »
Pretty cool cover. Really liked John's explanation at the end.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
Maybe someone else can back up what I'm saying, but like I said I am pretty sure he has done this in the past. Maybe at the beginning of a tour or something. I could be wrong but it has nothing to do with the song being a cover. Remembering timing and remembering hundreds of words throughout a show are not the same thing. Like I said, I'm not criticizing him, I'm just bringing up something that has happened before.
During the Uncovered show from January 1995, James did at least a couple of songs at that show with lyrics sheet in hand. The footage might be on YouTube, although I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:52:19 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Meanwhile Jordan plays with music sheets in front of him and nobody ever cared about it  :lol

Best point thus far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
I like Jordan's playing, but I like covers that differ or add to the original song.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
In his defense, the lyrics to Wish you were here are actually very complicated. He does look like he's reading off a lyrics sheet, but I can't see where it is located.

The lyrics are easy, what's tricky is the phrasing.  I guess I expected him to know such a classic word for word . But overall he did good without trying too hard to sound like Gilmour or "LaBrie" the song.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
I love Wish You Were Here and I don't know it word for word.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
They should play a few covers at their live shows. Maybe pick two or three songs from some of the albums they've already covered
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2016, 12:50:59 AM »
Put together a list of like 10 covers or something and pull a random out everynight. (in a world where they werent playing The Astonishing front to back)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »
I think the cover was okay. Jordan indeed overplayed it a bit, but he does that a lot of the time, and it sort of still all fit here. I didn't really like James singing at the start of the song, it sounded way too breathy for my tastes.

Offline genome

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2016, 07:34:49 AM »
I have no problem with playing "too many notes" if the vibe and the music call for it, er, I wouldn't be a DT fan if I did have a problem. But on certain songs it isn't necessary and spoils the experience, and I think it does on this song.

I get that it's Jordan's schtick, and judging by the need for hastily scribbled notation he probably isn't familiar with the song. But a bit of restraint would have improved it immensely.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:21 AM »
Wasn't there supposed to be more videos from this session?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Stripped-back DT, yes! Love it. Thanks for that (both setting it up and sharing)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »
Came here expecting "omg Jordan overplays it".
Wasn't disappointed.

srsly this is like one of the only Pink Floyd songs I like and he didn't run it at all