Author Topic: DTF’s DT Song Ratings! 1st List released on Page 7! Rating Albums now.  (Read 22443 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: DTF’s DT Song Ratings!
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
A Nightmare to Remember - 7,5
A Rite of Passage - 5
Wither - 5,5
The Shattered Fortress - 6
The Best of Times - 4
The Count of Tuscany - 7

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
TSF - 6/10
TBOT - 7/10 (mostly for the outro solo, and some other nice sections, but the major key sections drag it down a bit)
TCOT - 8.5/10 (would have been at least a 9 if the vocal sections in the middle were stronger, and as incredible as the rest of the rest of the song is, I can't rate it over all of those other songs)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2016, 11:22:12 AM »
A Nightmare to Remember - 6: Okay
A Rite of Passage - 5.5: Mediocre
Wither - 6.5: Okay
The Shattered Fortress - 6.5: Okay
The Best of Times - 4.5: Bad
The Count of Tuscany - 6: Okay

Surprised to see that based on pure overall consistant quality, Wither beats The Count of Tuscany for me.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
After TCoT, I have one more 10 to give out.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
Decent group of songs, the only clunker for me is BMUBMD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »
OTBOA - 7/10
BMUBMD - 6/10
LNF - 8/10
TITL - 7.5/10

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
ADTOE, rating these songs I realize this is probably my #2 DT album at the moment.

OTBOA: 8
BMUBD: 7
LNF: 8.5
TITL: 10
BITS: 9
Outcry: 8.5
FFH: 6.5
BAI: 10
BTS: 4.5
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
Breaking All Illusions gets my last 10.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
On the Back of Angels - 6
Build me Up, Break me Down - 6
Lost not Forgotten - 7,5
This is the Life - 5
Bridges in the Sky - 8,5
Outcry - 7,5
Far from Heaven - 5,5
Breaking all Illusions - 7
Beneath the Surface - 5

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:16 PM »
On the Backs of Angels - 7: Good
Build Me Up, Break Me Down - 6: Okay
Lost Not Forgotten - 5.5: Mediocre
This Is the Life - 6: Okay
Bridges In the Sky - 7.5: Good
Outcry - 7: Good
Far From Heaven - 6: Okay
Breaking All Illusions - 8.5: Great
Beneath the Surface - 7: Good

Outcry used to be my #2 on this album, but I put it lower these days after realizing that it's a bit offensive.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »
Outcry used to be my #2 on this album, but I put it lower these days after realizing that it's a bit offensive.

???

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »

???

I just read the lyrics and there is nothing offensive about them.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
BITS - 8/10
Outcry - 4/10
FFH - 6/10
BAI - 7/10
BTS - 6.5/10

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2016, 01:45:36 AM »
I just think it's kinda weird for the band to be all "yeah fiiight, freedoms worth it!" and "our children dieeee" like they're there fighting with them, while they're actually comfortable in their studios at home and not seeming like they took the time to really know what they're talking about.

It's not that it's an off limit topic for song lyrics, I just think these particular lyrics puts it all in a way that if I were one of the people actually doing the fighting I'd probably be upset about the popular american band singing like they know what it's like.

It's not a big problem, not enough for me to not enjoy most of the song, but it's enough to make me frown a bit at some passages.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2016, 04:09:18 AM »
I just think it's kinda weird for the band to be all "yeah fiiight, freedoms worth it!" and "our children dieeee" like they're there fighting with them, while they're actually comfortable in their studios at home and not seeming like they took the time to really know what they're talking about.

It's not that it's an off limit topic for song lyrics, I just think these particular lyrics puts it all in a way that if I were one of the people actually doing the fighting I'd probably be upset about the popular american band singing like they know what it's like.

It's not a big problem, not enough for me to not enjoy most of the song, but it's enough to make me frown a bit at some passages.

I still don't understand, so the band should never write in a position where they feel empathy for someone else? I guess SDoIT is offensive as well, writing from the position of the mentally ill, you could say that they don't know what they're talking about. Surely if I was fighting for freedom and I heard this song, I would feel happy that someone sympathises with my cause, not feel offended by them not being in the thick of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »
The lyrics of SDoIT are just so much better crafted, so no I don't feel at all the same way about that. Despite all the grand words in the Outcry lyrics, I don't feel that they actually say anything of any actual weight. I don't know, decribing why I'm not sold on Outcry is pretty hard because it's difficult to indentify specific reasons. It's more the overall impersonal treatment of the subject.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Fair enough if you don't like the lyrics, but calling them offensive seems silly.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
Outcry's lyrics aren't offensive at all. In fact, they did a great job at making the lyrics a general call-to-arms anthem about revolution and uprising, while being very obviously inspired by the revolutions of 2011.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Outcry's lyrics aren't offensive at all. In fact, they did a great job at making the lyrics a general call-to-arms anthem about revolution and uprising, while being very obviously inspired by the revolutions of 2011.

Spot on, there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2016, 08:01:28 AM »

Not getting this.  Not one bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
FAS - 8/10
TEI - 7.5/10
TLG - 7.5/10
EM - 6/10
TBP - 4/10
BTV - 5/10
STR - 7.5/10
AFTR - 6/10
IT - 6/10

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
False Awakening Suite: 8/10
The Enemy Inside: 8.5/10
The Looking Glass: 6.5/10
Enigma Machine: 6/10
The Bigger Picture: 5.5/10
Behind The Veil: 8/10
Surrender to Reason: 7.5/10
Along for the Ride: 7.5/10
Illumination Theory: 9.5/10
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
False Awakening Suite: 3,5
The Enemy Inside: 6
The Looking Glass: 7,5
Enigma Machine: 5,5
The Bigger Picture: 6
Behind The Veil: 5
Surrender to Reason: 7
Along for the Ride: 5
Illumination Theory: 6,5

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »
False Awakening Suite - 5: Mediocre
The Enemy Inside - 5: Mediocre
The Looking Glass - 5: Mediocre
Enigma Machine - 5: Mediocre
The Bigger Picture - 6.5: Okay
Behind the Veil - 5.5: Mediocre
Surrender to Reason - 5.5: Mediocre
Along For the Ride - 5: Mediocre
Illumination Theory - 6: Okay

No score below 5, which technically doesn't make any song "bad". That's this album's problem though, it is so without personality that it doesn't even have the decency to be a bad album, which makes it the worst album in their discography save for WD&DU. Just a big boring blur of nothing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2016, 01:41:46 PM »
5: Mediocre

ADTOE aside, this is exactly how i rate every album after Octavarium  :lol

But the worst album since WDADU, i'm not sure what to think. Imo, there's a mighty contest between SC, BC&SL,DT12 and TA.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:48:38 PM by Outcrier »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
But the worst album since WDADU, i'm not sure what to think. Imo, there's a mighty contest between SC, BC&SL,DT12 and TA.

I enjoy enough of SC to not group it together with those other ones, but otherwise we're pretty much on the same page.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
Outside of a few standouts, the tracks from The Astonishing will be tough for me to rank accurately.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2016, 08:22:50 AM »
I wonder why their recent output is so derided, as if nothing can touch the "classics" of the early age, which most of us were not even around to experience at the time they were initially released. Have we been force-fed the idea that "This album is a classic. You must like it", whereas albums that we were around to experience the release of fail to have that same impact?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »
I wonder why their recent output is so derided, as if nothing can touch the "classics" of the early age, which most of us were not even around to experience at the time they were initially released. Have we been force-fed the idea that "This album is a classic. You must like it", whereas albums that we were around to experience the release of fail to have that same impact?

Or maybe a lot of the recent output just can't touch the classics?

I certainly don't put the earlier stuff on a pedestal just because it's considered "classic". I formed my opinion on everything pre-Octavarium without any clue what other fans thought of it, but I instantly thought IaW was amazing. And many albums I've been around to experience the release of have also been amazing to me (at least initially). The most recent albums just didn't ever give me that same feeling.

Dystopian Overture - 8.5/10
TGOM - 8.5/10
The Answer - 6/10
A Better Life - 7/10

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
I don't think so.  I am a fan since 1992, so I "grew up" with the classics, so to speak.  I still think they release songs (and even whole albums) that are comparable to the classics.  Just in recent years, ADTOE is fantastic, and songs like Breaking All Illusions and Illumination Theory fit quite well amongst the classics.

It's just tougher to break The Astonishing down on a song-by-song basis, for me.  I love the album, but the individual songs serve as parts to the whole, rather than on their own, unlike the vast majority of DT's other songs (for me).