Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 32005 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Dark Tower Movie + It
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »
Agree completely with the above two posts.  Now I want to re-read the book so bad... it's been since the release that I read it, so I don't recall everything. 

As for who would play their reprised roles, great question... something I'll have to noodle on.  Amy Adams... good choice.  Kristin Wiig?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
My buddy suggested Cillian Murphy for Bill. I initially thought he would sligtky too young to play the adult version, but I looked up his age and the man is 41. If Bill was 12 or 13 in this film, Murphy is the right age, and would be perfect for st-st-stuttering Bill

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the TV miniseries, but I thought all the adults were cast well. The kids too. Both Eddies especially, both of them looked like a mild wind would blow them over, which is perfect for Eddie. And I was a huge Night Court fan, so loved Harry Anderson as Richie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
Just sharing the love for IT, and I agree as far as his horror movie adaptations go, this is one of the best

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
I went out to see IT tonight. There were certain aspects of the movie that I really enjoyed, but there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary changes made to the story. I've always understood that movie adaptations need to make certain changes to the original stories for various reasons, but between this movie and the extremely loose adaptation of The Dark Tower, I'm beginning to feel a bit disappointed. SK's books have always been spotty as far as their movie counterparts go (with a few notable exceptions), and I'm beginning to wonder if many of them will ever translate to the screen well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Holy crap, "It" was such a fun watch. I wouldn't even call it a horror movie

Wait... What?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Just watched the movie. I thought it was really, really solid and am very happy it was made.

I know I am in the minority, but I still like the Mini-series better. Sure, its dated, but it had a creepiness factor to it that I didn't feel as much with the film. Honestly, watching the movie felt like I was just watching a movie and because of that I never really felt scared at all. It also gets in your face, which a lot of modern horror films do. Like pennywise is running at them full speed with CGI and stuff with loud bangs accompanying everything. Not my ideal cup of tea, but I was definitely entertained though. When it comes to Horror, I like more of a slow burn like The shining. Ultimately, My heart will always belong to that mini series, but the new it was decent.  I just wanted a little more subtlety

And everybody seems to hate the Adult part, so can the new filmakers even make a decent adult part? Its basically the same plot

Also, apparently the new one is kicking ass at the box office, which makes me happy. I love it, in all its forms

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:11:38 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
And everybody seems to hate the Adult part, so can the new filmakers even make a decent adult part? Its basically the same plot

Assuming you mean the reunion section of the book, it is the weakest park of the book, so it does have that working against it. Yes, it is essentially the same plot, but necessary in the telling of the overall story. The 7 (or 5 rather) need to revisit their past in order to fully understand who they are in the present, and to finish the battle they started as kids.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Correct. That's the part I mean. I'm just curious how the filmakers will approach doing it, since the source material isn't as rich as the childhood section. Perhaps they will jazz it up, maybe they will leave it the same. Spider, no spider? Only time will tell, I just can't wait to see how its handled.

I actually really enjoyed the adult part from the miniseries, although I will agree the quality of the childhood section is higher.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »
I think it worked well in the miniseries because it handled the context correctly. The adults return to Derry after realizing they had forgotten all about it, revisit their old haunts, figuratively, and then are haunted by events from their past, literally.

It's been a long time since I have seen the miniseries, so my memory may be mixing up elements from that and the book.

My favorite scene is actually with the adults. They check out of the hotel, planning on skipping town, and Richie sees the TV report of another missing child, and he knows the truth, part of it being they are the only ones who can stop It. Then Bill hears the kid playing Fur Elise and thinks of George, and tells the others he's tired of being afraid, and is going to stay and fight It. And that scene isn't in the book.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
Holy crap, "It" was such a fun watch. I wouldn't even call it a horror movie

Wait... What?
Just like I wouldn't call Supernatural a horror show. It was like The Goonies with horror elements peppered throughout. I believe I already elaborated earlier, however.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »
https://uproxx.com/movies/it-kids-adults-casting/2/

Funny... my actual first thought for Beverly was Jessica Chastain - but figured it was TOO obvious.

Otherwise, neat choices.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Looks like it already passed 200 million  :metal

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=it.htm

Its apparently breaking a whole bunch of records and since I love stephen King and I love It, I am very happy about that.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Saw 'It' yesterday. Really good, lots of fun. Acts 1 and 2 were definetely the high points though, and while the ending was still good, it wasn't as good as all the set up.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2017, 04:07:08 AM »
Saw 'It' yesterday. Really good, lots of fun. Acts 1 and 2 were definetely the high points though, and while the ending was still good, it wasn't as good as all the set up.

Agreed!

I found the stuff with the kids was more interesting, than the stuff with the clown. Actors who portrayed the kids were top notch! Especially the actress who played Beverly, but they were all believable!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
Yeah, finally got to see It this weekend and really enjoyed the movie as well. Very solid cast for the Losers Club and Bill Skarsgard did a good job of making a very different Pennywise than Tim Curry's version.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
Finally saw IT. Loved it!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »
Anyone watched Gerald's Game yet?  Appariently it came to Netflix over the weekend and seems to be getting good reviews.  The Novel is probably one of my least favorite things King's wrote (Not as bad as Rose Madder though....).   

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »
Anyone watched Gerald's Game yet?  Appariently it came to Netflix over the weekend and seems to be getting good reviews.  The Novel is probably one of my least favorite things King's wrote (Not as bad as Rose Madder though....).

I watched it and loved it! I actually always thought that Gerald's Game is one of King's most underrated novels. It also contains, in my opinion, the most gruesome scene in any King novel, which is done well in the film. It's a very faithful adaptation so if you didn't like the book you may not like the movie, but I'd still recommend you watch it if you're a King fan.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »

I watched it and loved it! I actually always thought that Gerald's Game is one of King's most underrated novels. It also contains, in my opinion, the most gruesome scene in any King novel, which is done well in the film. It's a very faithful adaptation so if you didn't like the book you may not like the movie, but I'd still recommend you watch it if you're a King fan.

Ok Thanks, will give it ago.  I maybe need to reread the novel then sometime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
I also think Gerald's Game was a great book. I didn't know there was a screen adaptation of it, but I don't have Netflix.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
Amazon has Dark Tower coming out on Blu-ray on Halloween... Guess I'll pick it up then.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
Just finished It. I'll say again I am protective of It, being my favorite novel and one I read at a very emotional, difficult, transitional period in my life. It's by no means the best novel I've ever read, or the best King novel for that matter. But it is the one that touched me the deepest. And my first impression of the film is that while it didn't necessarily get things wrong, it didn't seem to get things right either. And not just in a "faithful to the source material" way, which it is admittedly hard to watch without it being in mind. The film just wasn't that interesting to me. The narrative was scattered, and suffered from the kids not finding each other one at a time. How they came to become friends, encountered Pennywise, survived Bowers' gang, and eventually the Loser's Club, is the core of the 1958 period of the story. The point of the story too is that the 7, as adults, are forced to revisit the horrors they experienced as kids, and we, as the reader/viewer experience it along with them. So it isn't a story about 7 kids, it is a story about 7 adults and how their experiences as kids shaped who they became. There is a cut of the Godfathers 1 and 2 where the narrative is chronological, and it isn't nearly as good as if you watch them 1 and 2 as originally presented. I don't want to trash it, but it just wasn't that good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
As far as IT goes, I love the miniseries and am admittedly nostalgic about it. And I thoroughly enjoyed the new film. I haven't read the book but always wanted to.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
I bought IT on DVD when it came out, and watched it again. The only part that really bothered me is how they changed Mike's story.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »
That was odd. I can't honestly remember anything Mike did or said that whole movie.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
That was odd. I can't honestly remember anything Mike did or said that whole movie.

The deal with his parents being the ones that died in the fire instead of being about the Black Spot. Then his grandfather being an asshole. He didn't really have any memorable lines, either. I can definitely see how it didn't leave an impression on you.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
I should have said that while I thought the performances were mediocre at best - though I really don't want to rag on any child actor - I thought Bev and Stan especially did a great job with their parts. Otherwise I much prefer their counterparts in the miniseries, which I realize is also a writing issue. Seth Green's Richie in particular had some charm in his obnoxiousness. The movie's Richie was just a douchebag. The miniseries' Eddie had a tragic frailness to him that was sympathetic. The movie's Eddie was just whiney.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
I was ok with the kid that played Richie, but I can see where you're coming from with how Eddie was portrayed in the new movie. I think that was more writing than acting as well.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:20 AM »
The miniseries' Eddie had a tragic frailness to him that was sympathetic. The movie's Eddie was just whiney.

Pretty much the entire adult section of the miniseries is total trash (the kids section is solid) but adult Eddie is really, really bad - one of the strangest acting efforts I've ever seen!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Bump. I'm watching The Dark Tower now - bought it at Family Video for $7...

I get it. It's a retelling, it technically is "after" the books. But oh my sweet baby Jesus this is not a good adaptation of the story. This should have been an HBO-level Game of Thrones level production in order to do this insane fantasy world justice. The individual performances I don't think are bad, but because everything is so freaking rushed... ugh. The Dark Tower is my favorite book series, excluding Lord of the Rings. And this is just shameful. I'm only watching to find out what happens at the end, but that's an hour off. I think the effects are good, the cinematography is good, the acting is good, I like the characters and the actors portraying them, but... man.

I really wish that miniseries they were pitching for years ago had worked out. This is so disappointing...

EDIT: Wow. Okay. It just ended, and this might be the first time I'm actually angry at a movie. This was a gigantic piece of trash. I am so upset that this was even made at all.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:38:28 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »

I get it. It's a retelling, it technically is "after" the books. But oh my sweet baby Jesus this is not a good adaptation of the story. This should have been an HBO-level Game of Thrones level production in order to do this insane fantasy world justice. The individual performances I don't think are bad, but because everything is so freaking rushed... ugh. The Dark Tower is my favorite book series, excluding Lord of the Rings. And this is just shameful. I'm only watching to find out what happens at the end, but that's an hour off. I think the effects are good, the cinematography is good, the acting is good, I like the characters and the actors portraying them, but... man.

I really wish that miniseries they were pitching for years ago had worked out. This is so disappointing...

EDIT: Wow. Okay. It just ended, and this might be the first time I'm actually angry at a movie. This was a gigantic piece of trash. I am so upset that this was even made at all.

Amazon recently purchased the rights to make a series. Word is that they'll begin with W&G then go from there which really makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I'm being optimistic with some caution, but I think that they learned a hard lesson from the end result of the movie.

Much like you, this is my favorite book series, so I really hope that they get it right this time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »

Amazon recently purchased the rights to make a series. Word is that they'll begin with W&G then go from there which really makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I'm being optimistic with some caution, but I think that they learned a hard lesson from the end result of the movie.

Much like you, this is my favorite book series, so I really hope that they get it right this time.

I do think that's a great idea. I'm not holding my breath on it until I actually see something, much like this new Lord of the Rings show, but it's at least news. Fingers crossed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
...and this might be the first time I'm actually angry at a movie. This was a gigantic piece of trash. I am so upset that this was even made at all.

Boy I knew this was bad, but this makes me smack my head and laugh out loud, so I guess SMHLOL. I don't think the series is King's best writing, nor is it my favorite. And I'd say this just lessens my desire to see this movie, but I don't know if that is even possible.