Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 31989 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Dark Tower Movie
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »
Maybe there will be some shots of the adults at the beginning or end of the film.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »
Maybe there will be some shots of the adults at the beginning or end of the film.
There will be a second movie following them as adults I believe.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
The Dark Tower got moved back another week to August.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/832395-the-dark-tower-release-date-moved-back-to-august#/slide/1

Not bothered too much... gives me more time to finish re-reading.  Though, I should get it done by early July, so it gives me the whole summer to re-read It.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
Ok, after reading the comments on this thread I'm very much not exited about this movie. I was really hoping they would do a book by book adaptation. And I don't care if King is A/OK with this, at this point I have the feeling he just cares about the money

The Dark Tower TV series will adapt Stephen King's Wizard and Glass

Nice!

This is maybe the only good thing I've read about this. Wizard and Glass is one of my favorite books ever.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
King doesn't just care for the money.  He already has all of the money.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »
What hef said. Didn't he license Shawshank Redemption for $1 or something like that? Besides, this property above all others I don't think he'd give his blessing unless he really believed in what the creative team was doing.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
Exactly.  It's his magnum opus.  And in the past, he has certainly had no problem criticizing adaptations that were shit.

If he is saying good things about this, he means it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
Not sure if this is the official "It" move thread as well.... but, LOL at this.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/788577/IT-movie-trailer-fear-of-clowns-Coulrophobia-Stephen-King-Pennywise

Now professional clowns are furious with the new adaptation, following the 1990 TV miniseries with Tim Curry, because of how it will effect their business.

During an interview with Mel Magazine, one professional clown called Guilford ‘Gilly’ Adams, spoke out. They said: “It’s a dying profession. And the people who do it and scrape together a living have to grapple with the fact that it's cool and hip not to like clowns.

So, it's a dying profession, yet it's Pennywise's fault no one wants to hire a clown for their kid's birthday anymore?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
I can understand where the guy is coming from to a small degree, but it's fairly obvious that his way of thinking about it is cringe-worthy at best. On the other hand, it might actually help their business. Stranger things have happened.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
Two teasers released today by Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba, respectively. 

Here they are in one video.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
Giddy f'n up - trailer tomorrow.

:panicattack:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer (HD)

The trailer looks pretty good.  Also excited to see a few nods to the greater Stephen King universe.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
Trailer is awesome. Very excited for these movies now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Coolio!  Lots of adaptation-ing going on there.  I assume some of those fight scenes were with the Wolves?  But then, no shots/mentions of Eddie or Susannah?

#stillpumpedforthis

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
Coolio!  Lots of adaptation-ing going on there.  I assume some of those fight scenes were with the Wolves?  But then, no shots/mentions of Eddie or Susannah?

#stillpumpedforthis
Not sure that Eddie or Susannah are in this.  It's not a straight adaptation, more of a sequel of sorts to the novels, so they are playing with the timeline a little for this turn of the wheel.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
I assume Eddie and Susannah will show up in the next movie. I'm also really hoping that Roland let's Jake die in this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
I assume Eddie and Susannah will show up in the next movie.
I assume they will, as long as this one is successful enough to allow them to make another.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
I assume some of those fight scenes were with the Wolves?

It might have been Lud as well, considering the fact that Jake was being "kidnapped". Or, the more that I think about it, they might be taking elements from the wolves and Lud, and creating something different.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
That looks so good. I can't wait

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »

#stillpumpedforthis
Not sure that Eddie or Susannah are in this.  It's not a straight adaptation, more of a sequel of sorts to the novels, so they are playing with the timeline a little for this turn of the wheel.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't a straight adaptation, so it'll be interesting to see where this diverges and converges. 
I assume Eddie and Susannah will show up in the next movie.
I assume they will, as long as this one is successful enough to allow them to make another.

Good god, it better do well enough, or I'll be raging.

I assume some of those fight scenes were with the Wolves?

It might have been Lud as well, considering the fact that Jake was being "kidnapped". Or, the more that I think about it, they might be taking elements from the wolves and Lud, and creating something different.

I see what you're saying towards the end of the trailer, but @ 1:15 of this cut of the trailer, it doesn't look like Lud.  I'd place money that these are the Wolves coming in from Thunderclap, and then right after that, they're pillaging - presumably Calla Bryn Sturgis.  I'd set my watch and warrant on it.   :biggrin:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:46:00 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
The trailer looked good. I have only read the first book, maybe didn't even finish it, but am I understanging it right that this is not going to represent the things happening in the books in chronological order? Because some people have brought good arguments against the casting of Elba because of interactions of the main character with some racist woman with split personalities or something like that. At least the way I've seen it, it sounded like a good argument.

This does look a bit like The Gunslinger for a bit and then transition into Last Action Hero :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
The trailer looked good. I have only read the first book, maybe didn't even finish it, but am I understanging it right that this is not going to represent the things happening in the books in chronological order?

As Orville said to Wilbur - "Your right!"

Because some people have brought good arguments against the casting of Elba because of interactions of the main character with some racist woman with split personalities or something like that. At least the way I've seen it, it sounded like a good argument.

I hadn't heard the connection of casting Elba in relation to the character of Detta/Odetta/Susannah/Mia.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
Looks good. So it looks like they combined a lot of elements from the first two books. I wonder if Eddie and Susannah will show up at the end.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
I see what you're saying towards the end of the trailer, but @ 1:15 of this cut of the trailer, it doesn't look like Lud.  I'd place money that these are the Wolves coming in from Thunderclap, and then right after that, they're pillaging - presumably Calla Bryn Sturgis.  I'd set my watch and warrant on it.   :biggrin:

Agreed that it does look like a village like the Calla, but the wolves don't look right. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the director took liberties with their look and weaponry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if very little of the books make it into the movie(s) and the eventual tv show that is being talked about. I do hope that they keep much of W&G, though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Agreed that it does look like a village like the Calla, but the wolves don't look right. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the director took liberties with their look and weaponry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if very little of the books make it into the movie(s) and the eventual tv show that is being talked about. I do hope that they keep much of W&G, though.

Invariably, lots of "liberties" take place on any book-to-screen adaptation.  As long as it holds true to the overall theme, and they're true to the characters, I can live with deviation. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Ok, so that didn't excite me at all. Guess I will stand by myself on that side of the room.

Great use of the Music Box song from For a Few Dollars More though, now I want to watch that!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:36:18 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Since we are talking It in this thread too, and there isn't a thread dedicated to It:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8fcXP3uLsU

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Since we are talking It in this thread too, and there isn't a thread dedicated to It:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8fcXP3uLsU

Its looking pretty good. Its going for the stranger things vibe which is fine by me. Even if this movie is awesome, I will still always LOVE the original film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Dark Tower Movie + It
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »
The original television version of IT wasn't very good.  Tim Curry was great as Pennywise, but the rest was, well, what it was.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
I thought they did a decent enough job with the 1958 part of the story, but the adults, particularly at the end of the movie, were pretty bad.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
I saw the original IT when I was like around 9, so I can definitely chalk up a lot of the enjoyment to nostalgia. The first part when they were kids definitely scared the crap out me way back then and it was a blast. 👻

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
Tim Curry was great

Tim Curry is never not great.

Of all the movies I've seen before having read the book, It is my top pick for "Wish I read the book first." I was around 13 when the miniseries came out, so the kid parts freaked me out too. I totally loved it. Looking back, after falling in love with the book, it doesn't hold up too well. I thought the cast was right on, and they got the look and feel of 1950s Derry. They even nailed some of the emotion. The scene where adult Bill hears Für Elise and tells the others he can't go on living in fear captures so much of what is the heart of their conflict.

Sorry, anything I start writing about It is going to be tl;dr.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
The Dark Tower got moved back another week to August.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/832395-the-dark-tower-release-date-moved-back-to-august#/slide/1

Not bothered too much... gives me more time to finish re-reading.  Though, I should get it done by early July, so it gives me the whole summer to re-read It.

I remember spending marathon sessions in college reading through The Dark Tower books attempting to catch up to new releases (2001-2004)... good times for sure.

Being excited for IT and honestly not thinking that I would be able to re-read the Tower books and IT both before the movies slam down to earth, I decided to give the audiobook version of IT a go... and IT is awesome!  Read by Steven Weber, and he does a tremendous job of nailing the emotion... so much so that my wife and I went out and bought bikes on Sunday and started riding again.  Give it a whirl if you want to cut the read time down a bit... it's worth IT.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar