Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 31975 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Stephen King on the big screen
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
I knew this was greenlit, but these details bring it to another level.  Guess I'm gonna have to start re-reading this.  Less than 11 months to go.

After many years, and many attempts, a film version of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower is finally getting underway with Idris Elba confirmed as the gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as the mystical foe known as the man in black.

Both the author and the movie’s director and co-writer, Nikolaj Arcel, spoke exclusively with EW about the plan to begin adapting the six-shooter-and-sorcery tale — which spans eight novels, assorted comic books and short stories, and is frequently referenced throughout King’s body of work.

“The thing is, it’s been a looong trip from the books to the film,” King says, putting it right in context: “When you think about it, I started these stories as a senior in college, sitting in a little sh-tty cabin beside the river in Maine, and finally this thing is actually in pre-production now.” He laughs. “I’m delighted, and I’m a little bit surprised.”

Arcel, who is best known for the 2012 Danish film A Royal Affair and for co-writing the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, says he will start shooting The Dark Tower in South Africa in seven weeks, and Sony Pictures plans to have it in theaters on Jan. 13, 2017.

More - https://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

I'm mixed on them starting mid-story... really wish they could've found the backing to invest in The Gunslinger, make it wildly successful, then make it a franchise ala Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Divergent.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:50:24 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: The Dark Tower Movie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
In a way, even The Gunslinger starts in media res doesn't it? Heh

Anyway, they can just get around all and every complaint about it by having Roland walking with the Horn of Eld.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »
I'm curious to see how the racial tensions are resolved in the film, given that Roland won't be white now.

Nevertheless, if King is OK with it, I'm OK with it.  Elba and McConaughey are two of my favorite actors, so I can't wait for this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
This series seems near impossible to pull off effectively on film, but I am still interested to see how it turns out.

As for the racial tensions, it's been 8 years or so since I finished the series, but I think Roland was just as confounded by Eddie as he was Detta/Odetta.  I don't think it would have to be centered on their racial differences, but simply that they are from different worlds.  If anything, I remember more racial tension between her and Eddie, and that can still be played out with this adaptation.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
Finally!!!!!! I just hope they can pull it off. I didn't read anything about a TV show tie-in. Elba is great choice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
I am reminded of Needful Things.... "You've been here before..."

Curious to see how this will play out. Definitely following with interest.

I also like how King can drop "shitty" in to a quote without caring that it will be printed across the internet, while most celebrities will fall over themselves to not say anything harsher than "Gosh darn."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
I am reminded of Needful Things.... "You've been here before..."
Ka... ka is a wheel.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed in the news that they're not planning on a movie series and are not starting at the beginning of the first book. I have no problem with Elba as Roland, although it will take some time to get used to him looking nothing like my mental image of him over the last several years I've been a fan of the books. I honestly have low expectations for this simply because I love the books so much. It is unlikely I'll think the movie does them justice.

I have always thought that The Dark Tower would make a better Game of Thrones style series on HBO or Showtime than a movie. 6-8 seasons of 10 episodes each would have done the books justice.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
Or Netflix.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
The rational part of my brain is thinking about the several reasons this could go poorly, but it's thusfar being drowned out by the rest of my brain screaming about how fucking awesome it is that Roland Deschain is coming to the big screen (and is being played by Stringer Bell).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
I will see the movie though I do agree that TV or Netflix would have been a better option. I think it could also work as an animated series.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 06:55:15 AM »
I know there have been rumors for awhile of this being movie and tv series. Did I miss where it says this will only be one movie? I wonder if they're waiting to see how successful it will be. I don't have problem if they don't start at the beginning IF they go back and show the earlier parts at some point. Honestly, if they're not going to cover the whole story my interest in this is pretty low. I LOVE the series and love King and I don't want to see a half-assed version.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »
I'm pretty disappointed in the news that they're not planning on a movie series and are not starting at the beginning of the first book.
They are planning on a series of movies.  They are just going to do them one at a time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »
I will see the movie though I do agree that TV or Netflix would have been a better option. I think it could also work as an animated series.

If they didn't want to cast young Roland, I think an animated interlude covering Wizard and Glass (similar to what Lucy Liu's character got in Kill Bill, but obviously longer) could work well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I think having Roalnd start off with the Horn of Eld would be really smart and great way to "continue" the story in a new direction from the books but still be able to portray the essence of the books on screen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »
Interesting read. https://www.aintitcool.com/node/74563
Yep.  Read that this morning.

I'm not sure about having him with the Horn to begin with.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I like it. Having the horn signifies a Roland who has already gone through the events of the books, which is a less interesting Roland to follow through his adventures compared to the Roland we meet at the start of The Gunslinger. It seems like it's a move to placate the contingent of book fans who will howl over every little change from the text. I think something like Game of Thrones has shown that you can adapt to the screen while making changes just fine. The comparison was drawn to what JJ Abrams did with his Star Trek movies, but I don't really think it's the same. With Star Trek, they went back to the beginning of the story and basically split it off into an alternate reality, featuring the same characters. While the horn gives them the same leeway to be able to change things, it's not starting off with the same Roland.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
Man, I really need to re-read these.  I read The Gunslinger in 1988, quickly read The Drawing of the Three, and then followed the books as they were released.  Lots of holes in my memory around the details.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »
To me, the whole concept of not having the Horn and then having the Horn shows the possibility that the wheel of ka has turned many times, and Roland has already been on multiple versions of his quest.  Given that, I think it would be a much better reveal to do it like the novels, in that him eventually having it is a change from what has gone on before.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I like it. Having the horn signifies a Roland who has already gone through the events of the books, which is a less interesting Roland to follow through his adventures compared to the Roland we meet at the start of The Gunslinger. It seems like it's a move to placate the contingent of book fans who will howl over every little change from the text. I think something like Game of Thrones has shown that you can adapt to the screen while making changes just fine. The comparison was drawn to what JJ Abrams did with his Star Trek movies, but I don't really think it's the same. With Star Trek, they went back to the beginning of the story and basically split it off into an alternate reality, featuring the same characters. While the horn gives them the same leeway to be able to change things, it's not starting off with the same Roland.

I get what you're saying but the Roland we meet at the start of the series is a Roland that had already went through the events of the books anyway. Yes, we aren't aware of it because you haven't read all the books but still.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 05:49:59 AM »

First images of Idris Elba as Roland have surfaced.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 07:07:17 AM »
 :tup

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
Idris is da man.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 07:42:33 AM »
Looks good, but it's going to take a bit of an adjustment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »
I know what you mean.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:01 AM »
I agree. I have no problem with Elba in the role. He's a great actor. It's just going to be hard for me to see Roland looking so different than how I've viewed him over the last 8 years I've been a huge fan of the books.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:41:42 PM by lordxizor »

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:51 AM »
I don't remember Roland carrying a cell phone.  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:39 AM »
I don't remember Roland carrying a cell phone.  ;)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed... searching for a cell signal.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
didn't expect his clothes to be so clean.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 02:25:32 AM »
Possible spoiler stuff in the link, and in my comments ect. ect...

https://movieweb.com/dark-tower-movie-story-changes-stephen-king/

I found this article tonight. The headline mentions big changes, but I really didn't expect Eddie and Susannah to be replaced completely? The total image reversal of Roland is one thing, but E and S are incredibly important to the overall story. Could this simply be a case of their names being changed for the movie? I've been hoping for a movie adaption for these stories to happen for a very long time, but I'm beginning to feel a little bit wary.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
Possible spoiler stuff in the link, and in my comments ect. ect...

https://movieweb.com/dark-tower-movie-story-changes-stephen-king/

I found this article tonight. The headline mentions big changes, but I really didn't expect Eddie and Susannah to be replaced completely? The total image reversal of Roland is one thing, but E and S are incredibly important to the overall story. Could this simply be a case of their names being changed for the movie? I've been hoping for a movie adaption for these stories to happen for a very long time, but I'm beginning to feel a little bit wary.

As am I.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »
Stephen King has basically confirmed on twitter that the movies are a sequel to the books, Roland will have the horn of Eld. I guess that's a good way to explain away all of the differences.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StephenKing/status/733244613000069120

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
E and S aren't being replaced. They just aren't really part of this first film.  The filmmaker's aren't making a book-for-book adaptation, and they are messing with the chronology of the written events.

I'm not convinced that it's the best approach, but since Stephen King is OK with it, I will withhold judgement.