Author Topic: The Dark Tower Movie + It  (Read 4439 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
Re: The Dark Tower Movie + It
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »
Agree completely with the above two posts.  Now I want to re-read the book so bad... it's been since the release that I read it, so I don't recall everything. 

As for who would play their reprised roles, great question... something I'll have to noodle on.  Amy Adams... good choice.  Kristin Wiig?
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
My buddy suggested Cillian Murphy for Bill. I initially thought he would sligtky too young to play the adult version, but I looked up his age and the man is 41. If Bill was 12 or 13 in this film, Murphy is the right age, and would be perfect for st-st-stuttering Bill

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the TV miniseries, but I thought all the adults were cast well. The kids too. Both Eddies especially, both of them looked like a mild wind would blow them over, which is perfect for Eddie. And I was a huge Night Court fan, so loved Harry Anderson as Richie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
Just sharing the love for IT, and I agree as far as his horror movie adaptations go, this is one of the best

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
I went out to see IT tonight. There were certain aspects of the movie that I really enjoyed, but there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary changes made to the story. I've always understood that movie adaptations need to make certain changes to the original stories for various reasons, but between this movie and the extremely loose adaptation of The Dark Tower, I'm beginning to feel a bit disappointed. SK's books have always been spotty as far as their movie counterparts go (with a few notable exceptions), and I'm beginning to wonder if many of them will ever translate to the screen well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Holy crap, "It" was such a fun watch. I wouldn't even call it a horror movie

Wait... What?

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Just watched the movie. I thought it was really, really solid and am very happy it was made.

I know I am in the minority, but I still like the Mini-series better. Sure, its dated, but it had a creepiness factor to it that I didn't feel as much with the film. Honestly, watching the movie felt like I was just watching a movie and because of that I never really felt scared at all. It also gets in your face, which a lot of modern horror films do. Like pennywise is running at them full speed with CGI and stuff with loud bangs accompanying everything. Not my ideal cup of tea, but I was definitely entertained though. When it comes to Horror, I like more of a slow burn like The shining. Ultimately, My heart will always belong to that mini series, but the new it was decent.  I just wanted a little more subtlety

And everybody seems to hate the Adult part, so can the new filmakers even make a decent adult part? Its basically the same plot

Also, apparently the new one is kicking ass at the box office, which makes me happy. I love it, in all its forms

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:11:38 PM by Phoenix87x »
All people die, but not many people ever truly live

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
And everybody seems to hate the Adult part, so can the new filmakers even make a decent adult part? Its basically the same plot

Assuming you mean the reunion section of the book, it is the weakest park of the book, so it does have that working against it. Yes, it is essentially the same plot, but necessary in the telling of the overall story. The 7 (or 5 rather) need to revisit their past in order to fully understand who they are in the present, and to finish the battle they started as kids.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Correct. That's the part I mean. I'm just curious how the filmakers will approach doing it, since the source material isn't as rich as the childhood section. Perhaps they will jazz it up, maybe they will leave it the same. Spider, no spider? Only time will tell, I just can't wait to see how its handled.

I actually really enjoyed the adult part from the miniseries, although I will agree the quality of the childhood section is higher.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »
I think it worked well in the miniseries because it handled the context correctly. The adults return to Derry after realizing they had forgotten all about it, revisit their old haunts, figuratively, and then are haunted by events from their past, literally.

It's been a long time since I have seen the miniseries, so my memory may be mixing up elements from that and the book.

My favorite scene is actually with the adults. They check out of the hotel, planning on skipping town, and Richie sees the TV report of another missing child, and he knows the truth, part of it being they are the only ones who can stop It. Then Bill hears the kid playing Fur Elise and thinks of George, and tells the others he's tired of being afraid, and is going to stay and fight It. And that scene isn't in the book.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
Holy crap, "It" was such a fun watch. I wouldn't even call it a horror movie

Wait... What?
Just like I wouldn't call Supernatural a horror show. It was like The Goonies with horror elements peppered throughout. I believe I already elaborated earlier, however.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »
http://uproxx.com/movies/it-kids-adults-casting/2/

Funny... my actual first thought for Beverly was Jessica Chastain - but figured it was TOO obvious.

Otherwise, neat choices.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Looks like it already passed 200 million  :metal

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=it.htm

Its apparently breaking a whole bunch of records and since I love stephen King and I love It, I am very happy about that.

Offline BlackInk

• Grammatically Confusing
  • I Don't Care
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Saw 'It' yesterday. Really good, lots of fun. Acts 1 and 2 were definetely the high points though, and while the ending was still good, it wasn't as good as all the set up.
My band (Oktober): https://soundcloud.com/oktoberband

Solo Project (Black Ink) Music: https://soundcloud.com/daniellarnhem

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2017, 04:07:08 AM »
Saw 'It' yesterday. Really good, lots of fun. Acts 1 and 2 were definetely the high points though, and while the ending was still good, it wasn't as good as all the set up.

Agreed!

I found the stuff with the kids was more interesting, than the stuff with the clown. Actors who portrayed the kids were top notch! Especially the actress who played Beverly, but they were all believable!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
Yeah, finally got to see It this weekend and really enjoyed the movie as well. Very solid cast for the Losers Club and Bill Skarsgard did a good job of making a very different Pennywise than Tim Curry's version.
Photobucket sucks.