Author Topic: Is it possible to make a top 10 DT list?  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Lalin1974

Is it possible to make a top 10 DT list?
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:59:24 AM »
This has probably been done to death, but when was the last time a thread with a top 10 DT songs was made?

I have only been following this forum for the past year so I do apologise in advance if it has been done to death, but I am curious to see how the various members on this board view the 10 songs that makes DT well ... DT?

Mine would be (I choose not to include tracks from TA as a view the album as a whole)

1 - Metropolis pt 1 (The song that started it all for me back in 1989...was blown away then and can never seem to tire of it)
2 - A Change of Seasons (the mood changes, the melodies, the singing, still gets me)
3 - Breaking all Illusions (Did to me on first listen what Metropolis did back in ´89 ... blew my mind)
4 - Overture 1928 (that theme at 2.25, ´nough said)
5 - Learning to Live (My second favourite song from IW...the recurring "wait for sleep" theme gives me goosebumps)
6 - Finally Free (again that recurring theme at 5.27 ... great finale to a fantastic album)
7 - Scarred (My favourite track from Awake, the outro is pure Kevin Moore magic)
8 - SDOIT (Although it feels like a cheap shot choosing a 42-minute track ... Solitary Shell and About to Crash being the standouts)
9 - The Killing Hand (imagine this song with better production...very underrated)
10 - Octavarium (has grown through the years)

As you can see, I have always been a fan of the melodic side of DT (big fan of Rush as well) and not so much the heavier side they displayed on ToT. Although I enjoy bands such as Black Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera and Megadeth, I just did not recognise DT when they did ToT. To me TA is closer to DT than ToT was.

How do you guys view DT? Would love to see your top 10 lists and if you will, some comments with them

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:25:34 AM by Lalin1974 »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is it possible to make a top 10 DT list?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
Here's a link to some Top 50 lists that have been done here. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35386.0

You can find some other ones sprinkled around the forum as well.

Ive got an idea for a DTF Song rating system, that I may roll out later this year, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
This has been done MANY times, in a few different formats.  In fact, there is kind of an annual DT song ranking tournament that takes place in the polls and survivors subforum.  But that's okay.  No harm in doing this again, I suppose.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
Here's a link to some Top 50 lists that have been done here. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35386.0

Ive got an idea for a DTF Song rating system, that I may roll out later this year, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

Great link .... exactly what I was looking for ... thanks a million

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
My top 10 fluctuates a bit from time to time.  But here it basically is:

1.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - It has been my #1 for a LONG time, simply based on the theory that "more is better."  There is so much goodness in this 43-minute epic, and I love how the seemingly disparate parts are tied together lyrically in a rather unexpected way at the conclusion of the song. 
2.  A Change of Seasons - Just a classic.  This fantastic epic deserves all the respect it gets.
3.  Octavarium - On any given day, this could perhaps be my favorite.  Amazing how they built a song that can constantly build in intensity over such an extended period of time.
4.  Metropolis - Part I "The Miracle And The Sleeper" - This was the song that really caused DT to stay a favorite of mine for such a long period of time.  Love it.
5.  Learning To Live - It took me awhile to learn to really appreciate this song, but it has so many different cool things going on, and they all somehow work together wonderfully.
6.  Bridges In the Sky - Wow.  Amazing that the band could put out something after all these years that could sneak into my top 10.  This song has everything I love about DT.  It brings the metal, but does so in a very complex, layered way, with lots of mood and atmosphere.
7.  Lines In The Sand - This song was a grower, but I love it.  Outstanding.  It's funky.  It's groovy.  It's rockin'.  And the solo is oh-so-good!
8.  Behind the Veil - For DT, this is a fairly straightforward song.  But it is done very well.  Compelling lyrics, great riffage, and an outstanding solo bring this one home.
9.  Scarred - That opening bassline is one of my all-time favorite DT moments and keeps this song in my top 10.  The turn-on-a-dime transitions are so jarring that it took me a long time to really "get" this song.  But once I warmed up to how the song was structured, I began to truly love it.
10.  Along for the Ride - What a quirky song.  It cannot make up its mind whether it is trying to be a ballad or something else, and that is a big part of its charm and what makes it unique. 

The songs that just missed:  The Mirror, Home, Trial Of Tears, Outcry, Beneath the Surface, The Glass Prison

Maybe some of the songs from The Astonishing will make the list.  It is too difficult to rank them right now because: (1) individual songs are really difficult to separate out from the album as a whole, given its structure and the role each some plays as a part of the whole; and (2) it is just too new to really have a good grasp on where these songs fit in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »

No problem.  Enjoy... a lot of those lists are entertaining to read. Some good writers round these parts.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »

No problem.  Enjoy... a lot of those lists are entertaining to read. Some good writers round these parts.

Of course they are ... After all, they are DT - fans :yarr :yarr :yarr

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
It's impossible for me to actually rank songs 1-10, but here is my top ten in chronological order:

- Take the Time
- Metropolis
- Learning to Live
- Voices
- A Change of Seasons
- Lines in the Sand
- Trial of Tears
- Blind Faith
- Disappear
- Octavarium
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
Time for an update? Here is how it stands for me as of today from 1-10.

1. Breaking All Illusions - this is the summary of DT for me.
2. Illumination Theory - I love how this is perfectly composed in terms of the mirroring structure. All musical choices made sense. And best drumming in a full DT song.
3. Trial of Tears - the best Myung and Portnoy performance. And best keyboard solo in a DT song.
4. Our New World - I am happy that DT came up with a triumphant anthem that has my favorite JP solo. Prog without trying to be too complicated. Song-first attitude.
5. Misunderstood - this to me represents new ground that I would love DT to take to push their progressiveness.
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - ambition.
7. Scarred - best DT lyrics. And best James performance of all time. My favorite KM solo.
8. Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy - beautiful vocal melodies and instrumental
9. Octavarium - best JR single song performance.
10. The Mirror / Lie - my favorite heavy DT song. Portnoy's amazing in driving the song.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:49:25 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline krands85

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
Something like:

1. Learning to Live
2. Metropolis
3. Octavarium
4. In the Name of God
5. Breaking All Illusions
6. Take the Time
7. Illumination Theory
8. In the Presence of Enemies
9. A Change of Seasons
10. The Count of Tuscany

Can you tell I like the longer songs?  :lol The Astonishing is the first album since Six Degrees that doesn't have a song that has made it into my top 10. Seen the band 4 times now, but haven't seen any of my top 4 songs live sadly  :-X
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline erciccio

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »
These are probably not my 10 favs, but they are the 10 songs that today (and only today) came to my mind trying to think to "something special"
In chronological order

- Metropolis pt I : "oh my god, how the hell can they play like this!! It's incredibile!!"
 - Learning to Live  :"that smooth bass line, and that outro…I wish it would never end.."
 - Scarred: "the dark side of the Dream"
" - A Change of Seasons: ""Seize the day and don't you cry..I dedicated those lines to my father, when he passed away"""
 - The Spirit Carries On: "I know it has little  to do with love, but my wife  loves it so much that we used it for our wedding!"
 - Finally Free: "feeling good this Friday afternoon…really love that moment"
 - I walk beside you: "the first DT song that my wife started to love, and it tells a lot about our story"
 - Breaking All Illusions: "oh my god, they are finally back!!!!!!"
 - Beneath The Surface: "I think I lived one of the many possible interpretiations of this song..so simple, but so deep"
 - The Enemy Inside: "oh yeah, finally they have written a metal song that I love from beginning to the end!"
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Scarred
Take the Time
Voices
Learning to Live
Metropolis
Lines in the Sand
Erotomania
Trial of Tears
Home
Surrounded

That last slot usually rotates between Surrounded, A Change of Seasons and The Spirit Carries On.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
Octavarium
A Change of Seasons
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Learning to Live
Fatal Tragedy
Home
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate
Beyond This Life
Blind Faith
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »
9.  Scarred - That opening bassline is one of my all-time favorite DT moments and keeps this song in my top 10.  The turn-on-a-dime transitions are so jarring that it took me a long time to really "get" this song.  But once I warmed up to how the song was structured, I began to truly love it.

I agree. I also agree that "Behind The Veil" and "Learning To Live" are amazing songs.

Illumination Theory - I love how this is perfectly composed in terms of the mirroring structure. All musical choices made sense. And best drumming in a full DT song.

What do you mean by that? Maybe something to do with the movements (I: epic, II: heavy, III: mellow, IV: heavy, V: epic)?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »
My favourite 10 songs have changed overtime. For a long time since I became a fan (2006 - 2012) I only listened to their Rudess-era output. However, in 2013 I bought Greatest Hit and loved "Another Day", "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" and "Take The Time", so later I decided to give the early albums a chance.

I'm not sure but right now this could be my favourite 10, in the order in which I first listened to them:

Jul. 2005 - Vacant/Stream Of Consciousness
Train Of Thought was my first DT album. I didn't like the metal much, but "Stream Of Consciusness" had so much cool stuff going on and it didn't sound particularly heavy. That one I've loved ever since, and it's one of the few songs I like playing all through on guitar. To me, "Vacant" is part of the song (just as "Wait For Sleep" and "Far From Heaven"). It's like - the calm before the storm :P

Jan. 2007 - Home

I discovered this one much before knowing about the album (or "Metropolis Pt. 1"), so to me "Home" was a very original, creative song (even though a lot of riffs/melodies are recycled). I love the overall mood of the song, but particularly the last bit right after the final chorus.

Jul. 2007 - The Dark Eternal Night

Well, I like some metal - basically 'fun' metal. Plus, the drum sound on this one is my favourite from all the discography - such a sexy sound! :hefdaddy I love Mike's drumming.

Jul. 2009 - A Nightmare To Remember

Another example of what I consider 'fun' metal. Also, my favourite song to play along with - although the solos and some fast bits I don't play.

Aug. 2013 - Take The Time

This one is excellent to me right from the start, until the final chorus. After that, when the slower 'singalong' part begins...  :tdwn I think everyone shines in this one, and there are some amazing melodies here (plus, James singing at the stratosphere!).

Aug. 2013 - Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

I like The Cure a lot, and it was a nice surprise discovering the song. Not only because it features a Cure-like intro (the keyboards and drums especially), but because it's such a different pace compared to most stuff I had listened from the band up until then. It also has U2 written all over it (the guitar, and the last chorus). I like it when I find sections of songs where JM plays something creative on his own, and the intro is a great example (plus, he wrote the lyrics!).

Sep. 2013 - Behind The Veil

This to me is like a condensed version of "A Nightmare To Remember". I remembered at the time I was interested in reading about kidnapping/torturing cases (the three girls from Ohio, the feral child Genie, Natasha Kampusch), so the lyrics to this one had a big impact on me. The chorus is insanely catchy, though.

Sep. 2013 - Illumination Theory

My favourite overall, I think (in fact, the self-titled is the most concise and strongest album I have enjoyed in all my life). The whole song is amazing, but 'The Embracing Circle' stands out - I still remember how much it moved me the first time (it still does, sometimes).

May. 2014 - New Millenium

Again, a song where I think JM gets a starring role, not just doubling the guitars. Such a cool, 90s U2 mood on the chorus. Too bad they haven't played it in a while.

May. 2014 - Take Away My Pain
Simple, but beautiful to me. I know Mike has stated that the mixing/production on this one is awful, but I don't get it - to me it has a great sound (maybe I should hear the demo version one day).

I didn't include anything from The Astonishing because it's still too recent, but "A New Beginning" is probably another one I'd consider a favourite.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 11:01:32 PM »
1. Learning to Live
2. A Change of Seasons
3. Scarred
4. Metropolis pt.1
5. The Mirror
6. The Glass Prison
7. Octavarium
8. Home
9. Take the Time
10. Space Dye Vest

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
Illumination Theory - I love how this is perfectly composed in terms of the mirroring structure. All musical choices made sense. And best drumming in a full DT song.

What do you mean by that? Maybe something to do with the movements (I: epic, II: heavy, III: mellow, IV: heavy, V: epic)?

This is a modification of an analysis I made back in 2014:

FIRST HALF: The Unilluminated Half

Song Intro. Crescendo drum roll

Section 1: Paradox of the Black Light. Slow, majestic, a bit heavy so it is not yet "illuminated". This is an overture to the un-illuminated sections of the song.

Section 2: The heavy riffing section. At first this seems to be just a wanky instrumental but it actually acts as a bridge between Section 1 and Section 3. This serves an important narrative function once we get to the later sections. Note also that it is mostly a standard rocking beat, with some time signature changes only at the end upon approaching the Live, Die, Kill section.

Section 3: Live, Die Kill. The section poses the questions: What are you willing to live for? to die for? to kill for? It is asking for "an answer that begs to be found". The section has two subsections: the first has lyrics playing to a main riff, the second is the instrumental section that has plenty of time signature changes.

Section 4: Embracing Circle, ambient section. If Live, Die, Kill referred to a more down-to-earth plane of existence, to grounded reality, the Embracing Circle is situated in a transcendental plane. The ambient section is formless and lengthy, which signifies that the questions posed in Live, Die, Kill remain unanswered even in a moment of transcendence and it remains quite unanswered for a long time. The length of the section is important because it serves the narrative function of indicating that illumination or enlightenment does not come easily.

BREAK in the Narrative: Start of TRANSITION

Section 5: Embracing Circle, first orchestral movement. We are still in the transcendental plane, but unlike Section 4, illumination starts to creep in slowly with the build-up of the orchestra.

BREAK in the Narrative: TRANSITION to second half complete

SECOND HALF: The Illuminated Section

Section 6: Embracing Circle, second orchestral movement. This mirrors Section 4. Illumination climaxes with a moment of enlightenment, signified by the orchestral, more uplifting version of the melody in Section 1. It sort of mirrors Section 1 as well, as this now serves as an overture to the "illuminated" section of the song. The two overtures (Section 1 and Section 6) share the same melody.

Section 7. The Pursuit of Truth. This mirrors Section 3. The section starts with reverse swells, which signals a return from the transcendental plane to grounded reality. After the moment of enlightenment in The Embracing Circle, the song now has answers to the questions posed in Section 3, Live, Die, Kill.  What are mothers willing to live, die and kill for? Their children. Husbands are willing to live, die and kill for their wives. Martyrs are willing to live die and kill for the kingdom. And so on and so forth. The Pursuit of Truth answers the questions of Live, Die, Kill. Still mirroring Section 3, the section also has two subsections: the first has lyrics playing to a main riff, the second is the instrumental section that has plenty of time signature changes.

Section 8: The heavy riffing section. This mirrors Section 2. It follows the same structure and uses the same riff! This serves as a bridge between Section 7 and Section 9. While Section 2 bridged the Paradox to the questions, Section 8 bridged the answers to the Paradox. Like Section 2, this section has a lot of wanky instrumentals and plays to a standard rocking beat, with a change in the tempo at the end approaching the Surrender, Trust and Passion section.

Section 9. Surrender, Trust and Passion. And now we have come full circle. This mirrors Section 1. Section 9 is also slow and majestic, but unlike Section 1, it is uplifting because illumination has already been achieved. Section 1 is titled the Paradox of the Black Light, and the lyrics in Section 9 spell out what the paradox of the black light really is.

Even the lyrics in this section are symmetrical:

Introduce with a paradox:
"To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain"

Surrender: Lyrics refer to illumination by referencing light.
"When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days"

Trust: Middle section, still in keeping the visuality of the Illumination Theory, we refer to opening one's eyes.
"If you open up your eyes
And you put your trust in love
On those cold and endless nights
You will never be alone"

Passion: Mirror the Surrender subsection. Lyrics refer to illumination by referencing bright.
"Passion glows within your heart
Like a furnace burning bright"

Mirror the first two lines of the section. End with a paradox:
"Until you struggle through the dark
You'll never know that you're alive"

Song Ending. Mirroring the intro, decrescendo drum roll.

----------
This is how I viewed IT. Which is why I don't think I will really understand how it can be described as disjointed. It is very cohesive not just lyrically but structurally as well. The disjoint that some people feel, I think, is because the narrative of the song is really about transitioning from dark to light but ending up in a paradox where light is in the darkness. There is a deliberate disjointedness, from grounded to transcendent, from fast to slow parts. The transitions serve a narrative function.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 12:40:39 AM »
1. A Change of Seasons
2. Scarred
3. Learning To Live
4. Blind Faith
5. Voices
6. Lines In The Sand
7. Octavarium
8. In The Presence of Enemies 1&2
9. Trial of Tears
10. Endless Sacrifice

I didn't think about this too hard, but my top10 might look something like that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 01:04:05 AM »
Time for an update? Here is how it stands for me as of today from 1-10.

1. Breaking All Illusions - this is the summary of DT for me.
2. Illumination Theory - I love how this is perfectly composed in terms of the mirroring structure. All musical choices made sense. And best drumming in a full DT song.
3. Trial of Tears - the best Myung and Portnoy performance. And best keyboard solo in a DT song.
4. Our New World - I am happy that DT came up with a triumphant anthem that has my favorite JP solo. Prog without trying to be too complicated. Song-first attitude.
5. Misunderstood - this to me represents new ground that I would love DT to take to push their progressiveness.
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - ambition.
7. Scarred - best DT lyrics. And best James performance of all time. My favorite KM solo.
8. Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy - beautiful vocal melodies and instrumental
9. Octavarium - best JR single song performance.
10. The Mirror / Lie - my favorite heavy DT song. Portnoy's amazing in driving the song.

Because of this thread, I played this as my playlist today. I now have a very big smile on my face. :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »
1. Scarred
2. Learning to Live
3. Octavarium
4. A Change of Seasons
5. The Mirror
6. The Root of All Evil
7. The Spirit Carries On
8. In the Name of God
9. Misunderstood
10. Peruvian Skies
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
I haven't done one in years, but it'd look something like this, in rough order:

Six Degrees
Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Repentance
The Great Debate
Finally Free
Home
The Mirror/Lie
Peruvian Skies
Never Enough

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
My top 3 are pretty solid:

1. Metropolis, Pt. 1
2. Scarred
3. Learning to Live

The rest are in no real order:

A Change of Seasons
Home
Finally Free
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium
Breaking All Illusions

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
Thanks for making this thread! It's always fun to have to come up with a list again. Here is my list. I haven't listened to most Dream Theater albums for months, some even for years. These are the songs that have really had a long-term impact on me musically (apart from the tracks from the new album, of course):

1. A Change of Seasons
2.Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Octavarium
4. Home
5. The Glass Prison
6. Three Days
7. Chosen
8. A Savior in the Square
9. Fatal Tragedy
10. Beyond This Life
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
1. The Root of all Evil
2. The Answer Lies Within
3. These Walls
4. I Walk Beside You
5. Never Enough
6. Panic Attack
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium
9. Lines in The Sand
10. The Astonoshing ( 2:13:00 ) :neverusethis:

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
This is how I viewed IT. Which is why I don't think I will really understand how it can be described as disjointed. It is very cohesive not just lyrically but structurally as well. The disjoint that some people feel, I think, is because the narrative of the song is really about transitioning from dark to light but ending up in a paradox where light is in the darkness. There is a deliberate disjointedness, from grounded to transcendent, from fast to slow parts. The transitions serve a narrative function.

That was an interesting read! You made me notice a few things I probably wouldn't have on my own.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
It's been a while since I did my top 50 but I doubt the top 10 would change much if at all if I redid it, nothing on TA is top 10 material at all, maaaybe a few are top 30 at best

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
I was wondering if some TA songs could crack my top 10, but since they're all short I might do it by combining tracks. If so ALLB-Ravenskill would be right up there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »
1. Learning To Live
2. Octavarium
3. Scarred
4. The Killing Hand
5. Space Dye Vest
6. Lines In The Sand
7. Breaking All Illusions
8. Take The Time
9. Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
10. Disappear
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
A change of seasons, The spirit carries on, Lines in the sand and Octavarium are in my top 10.  Unfortunately, the band hasn't played them live since a long time in Montreal.  And for me, a fan since 2009, I have not been fortunate to see them play those great songs live.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 08:10:18 AM »
A change of seasons, The spirit carries on, Lines in the sand and Octavarium are in my top 10.  Unfortunately, the band hasn't played them live since a long time in Montreal.  And for me, a fan since 2009, I have not been fortunate to see them play those great songs live.

TSCO is a band favorite and gets pretty good rotation.  I would think it would find its way back into a set again eventually.  The unfortunate thing about ACOS and Octavarium is that it is just really hard to work songs that long into a set list, especially for a band like Dream Theater that never shies away from playing a LOT of their new material when touring for a given album.  But the band knows that those two songs are fan favorites, so I would hope at least one of them gets played again in the not-too-distant future.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »

TSCO is a band favorite and gets pretty good rotation.  I would think it would find its way back into a set again eventually.  The unfortunate thing about ACOS and Octavarium is that it is just really hard to work songs that long into a set list, especially for a band like Dream Theater that never shies away from playing a LOT of their new material when touring for a given album.  But the band knows that those two songs are fan favorites, so I would hope at least one of them gets played again in the not-too-distant future.

:tup
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
My list :

1. Learning to Live
2. Metropolis pt.1
3. A Change of Seasons
4. SDoIT
5. Trial of Tears
6. 8V
7. Surrounded
8. Another Day
9. The Count of Tuscany
10. Take The Time

Honorable Mentions :

11. Illumination Theory
12. In the Name of God

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
Raw Dog

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
1. A Change of Seasons
2. Voices
3. Blind Faith
4. Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
5. Caught In A Web
6. Peruvian Skies
7. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
8. Home
9. In The Name Of God
10. Breaking All Illusions

Just Missed:
Learning to Live
Octavarium
New Millennium
Beneath the Surface
Don't Look Past Me

Offline Salies

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
(Back from the dead, I was falling into infinity)

I see that this has been done many times, but here's my Top 10 (I actually did a Top 20, but I won't post it here):

1 - Metropolis Pt.1
2 - A Change Of Seasons
3 - Octavarium
4 - Finally Free
5 - The Spirit Carries On
6 - Trial Of Tears
7 - The Mirror/Lie
8 - The Dance Of Eternity
9 - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
10 - The Glass Prision

Missed a lot of them: Illumination Theory, Pull Me Under, Count Of Tuscany, Breaking All Illusions, Constant Motion, Stream Of Consciousness...