Author Topic: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?  (Read 10492 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »
Lines in the Sand. I don't know what's really amazing on that song besides JP's solo. Maybe is about the guest vocals or the DS's noise/stuff.

Good summation for me. Though I would add the lyrics are rather good. Those guest vocals are terrible but for some reason the majority of people seem to like them. And that intro is bad and goes on way too long.

I didn't realise this was a popular song with fans, but it's definitely a 'skipper' for me. Agree on the guest vocals - not a fan of those at all.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
I jump on the "Lines in the Sand is not so great" bandwagon as well. Good lyrics, live it works, the slow section is beautiful, but all in all, I consider it one of the lesser epics of DT.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
About the only thing I like about LITS is the solo.

Calvin6s

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »
The Spirit Carries On

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »
About the only thing I like about LITS is the solo.

It's not the best thing about Lines In The Sand !! :angry:

it's the best thing about Falling Into Infinity ! ;)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2016, 11:47:45 PM »
I think, thought it is a good song, that the song that contains more what I don't want to hear is forsaken.
It doesn't talk to me.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »
If "Lines In The Sand" is a "popular" DT song, then it is  easily my least favourite.  Doug Pinnick ruins it for me.  I like most of FII, too (and REALLY like the "Director's Cut" of the album) but this song is one I skip.

Not the hugest fan of Burning My Soul, The Great Debate or Never Enough either.    I will say, though, it is a real struggle to find songs I don't like; even the ones I name, it's not the whole song but just parts that I don't like.  99 times out of 10, it's the vocals I don't like.  I don't like the guest vocals on LITS, I don't like the chorus vocals on BMS, I don't care for growl vocals in general, so...

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
I think, thought it is a good song, that the song that contains more what I don't want to hear is forsaken.
It doesn't talk to me.

I actually don't mind Forsaken too much. I see it as a gateway song that has the potential to attract new fans. It's one of the songs on youtube that I remember discovering and making me want to find out more about DT.

I definitely wouldn't say it is representative of DT as a whole though (or anywhere close) ..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »
Not the hugest fan of Burning My Soul, The Great Debate or Never Enough either.   
Not sure any of those would count as "popular" (maybe TGD), but I'm not crazy about those 3, either.  I think NE is the best of that group.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
Home. I didn't even have to think about it. I actually think it's the weak link on scenes from a memory.

And here I am all "Home is by far my #1 DT song of all time."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
Octavarium, no question. The intro drags, the first two sections are ok, Full Circle is just meh, Intervals is amazing and then Razor's Edge might be the single biggest letdown in DT's discography.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:16 PM »
Octavarium, no question. The intro drags, the first two sections are ok, Full Circle is just meh, Intervals is amazing and then Razor's Edge might be the single biggest letdown in DT's discography.

I think this post might be the single biggest letdown. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JLa

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Metropolis. Could be I have played too much, though.

The Dark Eternal Night. People seem to like that song, I have no idea why.

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
The Count of Tuscany. It just does absolutely nothing for me. Always felt it was their weakest epic.

And if The Best of Times is popular, I don't love it either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »
I think everyone here with under 500 posts needs a lesson on what's considered popular or not here.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
hmmm...let's see:

Pull Me Under
Metropolis part 1
Stream of Consciousness
A Change of Seasons (I do like some of the instrumental parts a lot though)
Octavarium (other than the synth solo, continuum solo, and Razor's Edge which are perfect, this drags on waaayyy too long for me)
And most of the 12-step Suite

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »
I think everyone here with under 500 posts needs a lesson on what's considered popular or not here.

I doubt if it would help. I have almost three times as many as that, I've been a big fan for over 20 years, I read TONS of DT-related posts before I even HEARD of DTF, and I'm STILL trying to figure it out.

For example: I'm still trying to get my head around how much HATE there is on here for the first album WDaDU.
There are TONS of other examples I could come up with, but you get he idea...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
I can't make sense of DTF's opinions half the time, but it is what it is. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2016, 12:21:51 AM »
will never understand any love that illumination theory gets, it's a massive disaster of an epic
learning to live is also way overhyped, it's good but not anywhere close to "da best song ever" like so many dtfers seem eager to proclaim

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2016, 01:09:14 AM »
Pull Me Under without doubt, horrible song.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2016, 02:26:54 AM »
will never understand any love that illumination theory gets, it's a massive disaster of an epic
learning to live is also way overhyped, it's good but not anywhere close to "da best song ever" like so many dtfers seem eager to proclaim

I actually think this (IL) could have been a great song, but the orchestral section kind of craps it up.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline legenden1

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2016, 03:35:09 AM »
I like all DT songs but The Count of Tuscany and Blind Faith, which seems to be well liked, are at the bottom of my list

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2016, 04:44:35 AM »

I actually think this (IL) could have been a great song, but the orchestral section kind of craps it up.

Damn, that's the only part of the song I like! It doesn't really fit with the rest of the song but the rest of the song is kinda crap, I agree with the other guy that it's a failed epic

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:59 AM »
The orchestral break is by far my favourite part of the song too, even though the flow in and out of that section is weak. There are other cool sections of the song that I like too, but overall a patchy and cliche epic that doesn't live up to many of their others.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2016, 06:10:13 AM »
I'm still trying to get my head around how much HATE there is on here for the first album WDaDU.
Not sure what's so hard to understand.

Even if you don't think the songwriting is largely amateurish (which I do), the production makes the songs sound like shit and Charlie Dominici's voice is awful.

I mean, there are lots of opinions that I can see being strange, but I don't see how in the world this one qualifies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
The orchestral break is by far my favourite part of the song too, even though the flow in and out of that section is weak. There are other cool sections of the song that I like too, but overall a patchy and cliche epic that doesn't live up to many of their others.

I don't mean that the orchestra sounds bad by itself. I meant that it doesn't fit with the rest of the song. I think it would have sounded better if they had done something else with that part of the song. Even having the band play a more "rock and roll" version of that same piece, or play along WITH the orchestra would have been an improvement. But other than that, it isn't a bad piece of music.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »
I'm still trying to get my head around how much HATE there is on here for the first album WDaDU.
Not sure what's so hard to understand.

Even if you don't think the songwriting is largely amateurish (which I do), the production makes the songs sound like shit and Charlie Dominici's voice is awful.

I mean, there are lots of opinions that I can see being strange, but I don't see how in the world this one qualifies.

While I agree, as I have said several times before, that the production DOES suck, I still think the songs for the most part are as good as a lot of what they did after, and some of these songs are even better than some of their later stuff. And as I have also said before: I have been on other sites before I was ever on this one, and there were at least a few people who said that they thought it was their best album, and part of the reason for that was Charlie. I don't agree with that opinion, and while I DO agree with what Portnoy said about his voice not being strong enough for them to keep him in it for the long haul, like they did with James, I don't think his voice was THAT bad. I actually thought he sounded pretty good on a few of the songs, such as Afterlife and Only a Matter of Time. Also there are a lot of people on here who like at least four or five of the individual tracks from it.

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
Dont know if 'A nightmare to remember' is popular, but after the 'beautiful agony' part it's just horrific.

I LOVE 'Panic Attack,' btw.

The lyrics to 'Count of Tuscany' are absurd, though i love that song.
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
Pull Me Under without doubt, horrible song.

I hate the ending.  They draw it out FOREVER. 

In all seriousness, they are one of only a few bands that I absolutely LOVE the biggest hit. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »
Anna Lee.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
Though there is no song I "hate" or even "don't like AT ALL" by DT, there are some songs I don't seem to like as much as others do.

The Killing Hand (always felt that song being somewhat unfinished)
Lifting Shadows (they have done tons of better ballads)
Surrounded (except the CIM version with the "Mother" part, that is awesome. But this song with the I&W sound is just too 90 for me.)

Not sure if it's "popular", but I never liked Through Her Eyes, due to the drum loop. It could have been a cool bombastic ballad a la Spirit Carries On but as it is, it's just very cheesy to me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
I think Count of Tuscany is popular right?

I really don't get that song at all, save for maybe the guitar swell parts.

Completely agree. I could add BITS to that list too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
Home. I didn't even have to think about it. I actually think it's the weak link on scenes from a memory.

And here I am all "Home is by far my #1 DT song of all time."

The second half of the song is gold.  It's the drawn out vocals on the main verses that I find really annoying.   It's OK, but not worth the hype it gets.  And certainly my least favorite from SFAM.

LitS is a really good choice too.   Never cared for it.    ...and I was looking forward to that too because we got the leak that Dug was making an appearance, and I was a really big KX fan.   Sadly, it was one of those things where the reality didn't live up to the ideal. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2016, 07:02:06 PM »

Then I'm not qualified for this one. Any other posts that need "experts"?
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2016, 11:48:27 PM »
In the Presence of Enemies pt2
Stream of Consciousness
Breaking All Illusions
Disappear
Lines in the Sand
The Glass Prison 
Blind Faith