Author Topic: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?  (Read 10431 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 04:21:31 AM »
This is an interesting topic!

There are a few songs I skip every time despite most people seeming to gush over them:

Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
The Dark Eternal Night
A Nightmare to Remember
The Count of Tuscany

Four of your listed songs are in my top 10.

Interesting! What is your top ten? Mine would be (in no particular order):

Home
Under a Glass Moon
Voices
Space-Dye Vest
Blind Faith
In The Name of God
Breaking All Illusions
Disappear
Lines in the Sand
Trial of Tears

Honorable Mentions to ACOS, Illumination Theory, ITPOE and Outcry.

01: Octavarium
02: The Count of Tuscany
03: A Change of Seasons
04: Breaking All Illusions
05: Take the Time
06: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
07: The Dance of Eternity
08: Panic Attack
09: Constant Motion
10: Trial of Tears
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 04:47:51 AM »
We all seem to have a different view of which songs are popular. :lol

Seriously.

If we're going by that list (which I can't say I think much of), I'd include BAI and IT. Again, I don't hate them, but they're mediocre by DT standards.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
For me, it's Learning to Live. That's not to say that I don't like it,  just that it's not in my top 20.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:03 AM »
This is an interesting topic!

There are a few songs I skip every time despite most people seeming to gush over them:

Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
The Dark Eternal Night
A Nightmare to Remember
The Count of Tuscany

Four of your listed songs are in my top 10.

Lol same, even five. Interesting.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »
Scarred. Always thought it was one of the worst songs on Awake, and if I had a top 50 it would not be in it. Definitely my least liked popular song.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
Octavarium is a mistery to me. Sometimes I believe Portnoy has about one hundred and eleven usernames here and that he keeps coming here just to vote for this song on the DT League. Itīs not even epic - itīs overlong. Itīs not even grandiose like IT or CoS (of course the mixing they were doing at that time does not help). The lyrics that Portnoy wrote, mentioning books and albums he likes, I just canīt NOT hate them.  :facepalm:

Of course there are many songs that are popular but that are just ok (or meh) for me - Count of Tuscany, Blind Faith - but at least those songs I can see why people love them. But Octavarium is a bore... itīs really a mistery. Iīll try to listen to a live version of it, maybe Iīll get what the fuzz is all about.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 06:24:11 AM »
Octavarium is a mistery to me. Sometimes I believe Portnoy has about one hundred and eleven usernames here and that he keeps coming here just to vote for this song on the DT League. Itīs not even epic - itīs overlong. Itīs not even grandiose like IT or CoS (of course the mixing they were doing at that time does not help). The lyrics that Portnoy wrote, mentioning books and albums he likes, I just canīt NOT hate them.  :facepalm:

Of course there are many songs that are popular but that are just ok (or meh) for me - Count of Tuscany, Blind Faith - but at least those songs I can see why people love them. But Octavarium is a bore... itīs really a mistery. Iīll try to listen to a live version of it, maybe Iīll get what the fuzz is all about.

The song has won 71 straight regular season matches, and it's going for a 3rd straight championship. The thing is really loved around here, MP clones or otherwise.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »
Octavarium is a mistery to me. Sometimes I believe Portnoy has about one hundred and eleven usernames here and that he keeps coming here just to vote for this song on the DT League. Itīs not even epic - itīs overlong. Itīs not even grandiose like IT or CoS (of course the mixing they were doing at that time does not help).

Octavarium is about as epic as they come. I don't find ACOS to be grandiose at all, and IT feels like retread of the older epics, but not as good. No mystery or conspiracy here; Octavarium is just a great song. :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 06:36:35 AM »
To me, 8V is their most well written song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »
The big stand out for me is Octavarium.  Intro is ok, if "inspired by" Pink Floyd a little too much for me.  The end of the song is spine-tingling stuff from JP in particular, truly epic.  The stuff in the middle though is just plain dull for me, some of the dullest stuff they've done in my opinion.  Usually I'm just not prepared to wade through 20 min just to get to JP's solo at the end.

There's songs lower down that list like Disappear which I'm not keen on either but yeah, if Octavarium is joint top as their best song ever then that's a big no for me.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »
Innocence Faded and Constant Motion. IF just sounds like JLB is whining the entire time.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:36 AM »
Innocence Faded is popular?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »

Same @ Constant Motion.

I love both songs, but I wouldn't say either one appears to be popular.

Offline emtee

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »
8V the song for me. By a mile. It should be a song I love with that Floydian intro and influences splattered all over the place but
it does nothing for me. And as far as that album goes, I played the living crap out of it for months and my daughter loved it too
but when I try to go back to it I never make it through the whole thing. I hear DT coming too close to their influences and it
hasn't aged well for me.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »
All of them.

:corn

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »

Same @ Constant Motion.

I love both songs, but I wouldn't say either one appears to be popular.

I think Constant Motion would be the more popular one out of the two. Honestly, are any Dream Theater songs popular besides Pull me Under? I still talk to people who IF they have heard of DT they only know PMU.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
I took "popular" to mean to mean among us DT fans, not popular in main stream or the general public.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »
I took "popular" to mean to mean among us DT fans, not popular in main stream or the general public.
Indeed, this should be fairly obvious really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
A Nightmare to Remember
Illumination Theory

They are not bad ... but they do not do much for me

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
If by popular you mean singles/videos released by the band, I'm not big on "Constant Motion."

If by popular you mean among DT die-hards, I don't think "Metropolis Pt 1" is the gold standard that many think it is.  It's a freaking great song, don't get me wrong, but I'd put it in bottom tier of Images of Words.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
Edit: I'll add Lines In The Sand and Blind Faith too.

Two of my absolute favorite DT songs! To each their own...

Offline V_R11

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
Blind Faith
Stream of Consciousness
The Great Debate
Seasons change and so can I

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
Of their really popular songs, my least favorite is easily The Count of Tuscany.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
Do we mean popular in this forum, or popular in the general public? Because if it's the latter, then only Pull Me Under qualifies  :biggrin:

Anyway..

The Spirit Carries On
The Count of Tuscany
Illumination Theory

Octavarium the song has some silly parts, but it's still good. It will always be behind ACoS for me, but it's good!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
I'd say The Great Debate. It's not that I hate it or anything, it's just that the song doesn't click with me. Kinda like a girl which you understand how other like her, but she just doesn't appeal to you in any way.

And in case it's popular... The Dark Eternal Night. I loathe that song twice as much as you all loathe The Ministry of the Lost Souls.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
Illumination Theory does absolutely nothing for me. 

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
The big stand out for me is Octavarium.  Intro is ok, if "inspired by" Pink Floyd a little too much for me.  The end of the song is spine-tingling stuff from JP in particular, truly epic.  The stuff in the middle though is just plain dull for me, some of the dullest stuff they've done in my opinion.  Usually I'm just not prepared to wade through 20 min just to get to JP's solo at the end.

:hat

As Portnoy would say - gabba gabba bloody gabba hey.

"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline krands85

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
The one that immediately leaps to mind for me is Six Degrees, I've just never really enjoyed it that much for some reason. Same with the album as a whole really and it actually annoys me that I don't like it as much as others do when I regularly see it ranking so highly on people's lists  :lol I really wish that one day it'll finally click with me - either the song itself or the whole album - but I doubt it'll happen now. Probably doesn't help that I've always seen the title track as more of a collection of individual songs, but lets not go down that road again  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »
Lines in the Sand. I don't know what's really amazing on that song besides JP's solo. Maybe is about the guest vocals or the DS's noise/stuff.
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
A New Beginning

Not that I dislike it or anything, it's a good song. But I just don't get all the praise towards JP's solo at the end. Far from his best.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
All the Glass Prison mentions make me sad.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Lines in the Sand. I don't know what's really amazing on that song besides JP's solo. Maybe is about the guest vocals or the DS's noise/stuff.

Good summation for me. Though I would add the lyrics are rather good. Those guest vocals are terrible but for some reason the majority of people seem to like them. And that intro is bad and goes on way too long.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
Briefly, as to 'Six Degrees':  treat it as a vinyl album.  Give parts 1-4 a listen, and then come back to it later on for the remainder.  Parts 5-8 would probably be my favorite 'side' of their discography.  I had just started following the band when this came out. 

I wanted so much to like IT.  And there is so much to like in it, but it doesn't jell for me as one piece.

Of the supplied list, there are many that I've snipped out segments that I don't like, so they wouldn't be in my top 30.  The rap in 'Glass Prison', choruses in UAGM and 'Sand'.  I love the intro and the ending to 'Count', but deleted the middle vocals.  I much prefer the edits of 'Lie' and 'Home', but don't like 'Mirror/Lie' because together because they are too heavy for my liking.  Yet I like 'Enemies Pt 1' and 'Constant Motion'.  Go figure.

'Pull Me Under' not in Division 1.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:58:38 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »
I think some of DT's longer songs fail to hit the mark. Illumination Theory and In the Presence of Enemies have never done anything for me, and tbh the only good section in that 40+ minutes of music is the Dark Master chorus. Both just feel like really long songs rather than epics

In the Name of God fits the bill as well. When I try to think of the various sections of that song I can never quite understand how it manages to fill 14 minutes. I also think it has one of the worst choruses in their catalogue and LaBrie does not sound good on it. The riff in one of the verses is cool however, and the bass line underneath the noodly-woodly section always gets me going, but the actual soloing goes on for way too long and seems to exist just to fill time.

I'm not quite sure where people stand on The Shattered Fortress and Outcry but I've always felt they're pretty uninspiring.

Also not sure on Losing Time/Grand Finale, is that considered popular? I've always thought it was an uninteresting way to end a great song and LaBrie's voice is a bit meandering on it if that makes any sense

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
Home. I didn't even have to think about it. I actually think it's the weak link on scenes from a memory.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude