Author Topic: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?  (Read 10487 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Your least favourite, popular Dream Theater song?
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2016, 03:41:10 AM »
*edit*
whoops misread title  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:51:27 AM by jakepriest »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2016, 05:08:00 AM »
Re-read the thread title.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2016, 05:19:20 AM »
I would have to say Pull Me Under. It's a good song but not one I hope to hear live again.  :lol

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2016, 08:42:13 AM »
Learning to Live
Surrounded
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
The Glass Prison (Love the introduction, but drags on way too long after that)

Offline Salies

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Definitely Pull Me Under. I would say The Spirit Carries On too, but after seeing "Metropolis 2000" I just can't.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
Learning to Live
Surrounded
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
The Glass Prison (Love the introduction, but drags on way too long after that)

This is exactly how I feel about TGP. It's still a good song but the rest of the song definitely falls short of the greatness that is the intro.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »
Scarred.

Offline tarskian

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
Without having a list of DTs popular songs handy, it's hard for me to answer the question. I tend to think that Octavarium is DTs most overrated song, in that most fans rate it very highly, and I think it's definitely not deserving of the high ratings that it usually receives. But in general I'd much rather listen to Octavarium than TMOLS or Sacrificed Sons, both of which I see as being popular songs, and neither of which I particularly like.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Dance of Eternity

*yawn*

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2016, 09:48:40 PM »
I would say The Spirit Carries On too, but after seeing "Metropolis 2000" I just can't.

Totally forgot about that one. The solo is nice but I just don't care for the rest of the song.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
The three I would say are PMU, TSCO and Metropolis. I actually love the studio version of PMU, but live they can never pull it off as well (especially the intro); and I could do without seeing it again, having seen it performed live numerous times.

TSCO is a great ballad but live it's overplayed. Could stand to do without ever seeing it in the live set again.

I just don't get all the love for Metropolis - it's a decent song, but nothing that grabs me the way that LtL does. And it's another one I could do without ever hearing again live unless they change it up again as they've done on some previous tours.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 05:26:46 AM »
I was wondering what you would say. You're one of the few in this forum who have been listening to them longer than me. How many times have we listened to Pull Me Under since 1992?  :lol

Offline peepeetipi

• Progressive Obsessive
  • Withdrawn and introverted, infectiously perverted
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
I would agree on PMU and TSCO. I love both still, but PMU was a huge grower and didn't stand out to me for a while just because of how awesome I&W is. TSCO is really good as well, but also suffers from being one of the weakest songs on an incredible album. Of the handful of times I've seen DT live, TSCO was also the only song where I didn't hesitate to take my bathroom break.

Personally, I'd say Space-Dye Vest and The Looking Glass. The first I feel somewhat kills Awake's momentum and ending, coming off of Scarred's fade-out and such, and it features my least favorite KM lyrics. It's a moody, mellow song and a good song, just too angsty for me and a bit less involving than their other ballads. The latter isn't as much a fan-favorite as others listed. It's divisive, but those who like it seem to really like it. Unfortunately, it's one of the few DT songs I will always skip, I just find it boring and the things I like I can find in other songs phrased similarly but much better. Too many Rushisms and the solo is too reminiscent of ToT without being as good.
Peace is the love of a foe as a friend
Peace is the end like death of the war

Offline don_waka

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
Pull me under, definitely.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
I was wondering what you would say. You're one of the few in this forum who have been listening to them longer than me. How many times have we listened to Pull Me Under since 1992?  :lol
Ha! No clue as to how many times I've listened to the songs on CD/iPod, but your post inspired me to go thru the setlists of all the shows I've seen, and no surprise, TSCO was at the top of the list, having seen it 23 times (all in complete form). PMU was second highest with 17 times complete and 5 as part of a medley, and Metropolis was in third place with 14 times complete and 7 times as part of a medley. Surprisingly, some of the others that I've seen quite a few times are songs I (thus far) have not tired of seeing live, such as Home (16 times complete, once in single edit form), Endless Sacrifice (18 times complete) and Learning to Live (9 times complete, 12 times as part of a medley), altho that last one is my favorite DT song of all time, so I'm a bit biased towards it.  ;)

Was very interesting to see how many times I've seen certain songs - was surprising how many times I've seen some songs, and how few for other songs considering how many times I saw them and how often these songs were in the setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2016, 05:18:04 PM »
I always have a hard time picking my absolute favorite DT song. I can be certain it is usually between three songs: Metropolis 1, Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons.

I'm curious to see how many times I've seen each song live. I will return.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
I'm gonna jump in on the TSCO train here.
It's an okay song, but not even CLOSE enough to warranting a spot in almost every setlist. The weakest from SFAM for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
For me, the obvious answer is On the Backs of Angels.  It's not a bad song; it's just bland and doesn't really stand out in any way whatsoever. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2016, 07:14:09 PM »
For me, the obvious answer is On the Backs of Angels.  It's not a bad song; it's just bland and doesn't really stand out in any way whatsoever.

It's miles better than Pull Me Under atleast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
No way.  Pull Me Under doesn't work well live, but in the studio, it slays. The intro is awesome, the verses are great, the pre-choruses are tremendous, the chorus is catchy as hell, the instrumental section is bad ass, and the outro is killer.  Great, great song.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »
The intro is awesome, the verses are great, the pre-choruses are tremendous, the chorus is catchy as hell, the instrumental section is bad ass, and the outro is killer.  Great, great song.

That's exactly how I'd describe OTBOA though.
The verses might be killer, but I can't stand the Pull Me Under chorus.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2016, 08:25:34 AM »
Surprisingly, some of the others that I've seen quite a few times are songs I (thus far) have not tired of seeing live, such as Home (16 times complete, once in single edit form)...
When/why was that played? Was that the same edit as in the Greatest Hit compilation? I never thought the band would play such a great song as "Home" in edited form.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
I always have a hard time picking my absolute favorite DT song. I can be certain it is usually between three songs: Metropolis 1, Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons.
Those are also my top 3. 

o/
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
Surprisingly, some of the others that I've seen quite a few times are songs I (thus far) have not tired of seeing live, such as Home (16 times complete, once in single edit form)...
When/why was that played?
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=652
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=659
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=660
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=667

Was that the same edit as in the Greatest Hit compilation? I never thought the band would play such a great song as "Home" in edited form.
Pretty much - the only difference was that the intro was abbreviated a little and had more of a Tool-vibe about it (which I really liked - would love to see that intro brought back again). As for why, it was simply to allow more time for other songs. You'll notice that this was only done during the second North American leg of World Tourbulence where they were co-headlining with Joe Satriani and had roughly 90 minutes of stage time.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »
My least favorite popular song would have to be Pull Me Under. I'm sure its not that popular now, due to the same reason I no longer like it. It was entirely over played. The song got played on every tour for their entire career with MP. Jesus that song got old. I can't listen to it today without rolling my eyes.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Those are also my top 3. 

o/

:hefdaddy

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
My least favorite popular song would have to be Pull Me Under. I'm sure its not that popular now, due to the same reason I no longer like it. It was entirely over played. The song got played on every tour for their entire career with MP. Jesus that song got old. I can't listen to it today without rolling my eyes.
While I agree that I don't ever need to hear PMU live again (unless they change it up significantly) and it's true that MP included PMU in the master setlist for every tour, by no means was it played at every show or even close to that. MP was always very good about mixing up the setlist and not having some songs that were played at every show (unlike Iron Maiden for instance, where 1/3 of their show is the same songs they play on every tour, or even Rush who has a handful of songs that always get played).

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:02 AM »
As for why, it was simply to allow more time for other songs. You'll notice that this was only done during the second North American leg of World Tourbulence where they were co-headlining with Joe Satriani and had roughly 90 minutes of stage time.
Thanks for the info! Makes sense. It just seemed weird to me, when considering that they extend a lot of songs/instrumentals.

Offline tarskian

« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
I think it's really interesting to see the divergence of opinions in this thread, not only with to respect to what people count as a good or bad song, but also with respect to what counts as a popular DT song. The whole thing is a mess, and I like it!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
A definition of popular would be the ones they've most played live; the ones featured in RB or GH; or the singles (especially the recent singles with music video).

Offline tarskian

« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
A definition of popular would be the ones they've most played live; the ones featured in RB or GH; or the singles (especially the recent singles with music video).

Thanks! "Most" is kind of a vague term, but if that's the definition of "popular" that we're using here, then I'll still stick with my choice of Octavarium, but I'll change my second least favorite song to PMU, not because I dislike the song (on the contrary, I like it after all of these years), it's just that it's been played so many times live that surely it counts as one of the most popular songs, and out of the most popular songs it's the one I'd least like to see live. Except for maybe TSCO. Or TMOLS. Or...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
While those criteria might work for many bands/artists, I don't necessarily think that they apply to DT's catalog for the most part. Certainly all of DT's epics fit none of those criteria you've listed, yet I would say most, if not all of them are popular among DT fans. Conversely, some songs are singles and have been played more often, but don't seem to be fan favorites.

So I think a better definition would be the ones that the fans in general love the most - the ones that are talked about most amongst the fans at concerts, in general conversation and online in such forums as this one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
While those criteria might work for many bands/artists, I don't necessarily think that they apply to DT's catalog for the most part. Certainly all of DT's epics fit none of those criteria you've listed, yet I would say most, if not all of them are popular among DT fans. Conversely, some songs are singles and have been played more often, but don't seem to be fan favorites.

So I think a better definition would be the ones that the fans in general love the most - the ones that are talked about most amongst the fans at concerts, in general conversation and online in such forums as this one.

I guess I meant popular amongst the general population, not hard-core forum-posting DT fans.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »

I guess I meant popular amongst the general population, not hard-core forum-posting DT fans.
I get that, but first of all, this is being posted on a forum full of hard-core fans. On top of that, I'd still wager that most (non hard-core forum-posting) fans of DT are going to love the epics and other songs more than what the average joe fan of most mainstream bands/artists would. So I'd say my point still stands but feel free to disagree.  ;)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
Pull Me Under