Poll

Do you think you would like DT to do a tour where they only play songs from ADToE, DT12 & The Astonishing?

Yes! Great idea! LOVE it!
5 (19.2%)
It would be fine with me if they did this, because I'm a hardcore fan, and I would go no matter WHAT they're playing
2 (7.7%)
Only if it includes some solo spots and/or extended jams
2 (7.7%)
I would want to hear alternative and/or improved versions of at least SOME of those songs
1 (3.8%)
I would at least want the encore to be something different
1 (3.8%)
Might be good, but I would want about a third of it to be some of their older songs
2 (7.7%)
I think a mix of about half-and-half would be good
1 (3.8%)
I think it might be a bad idea, but can't say for sure...I'm undecided
2 (7.7%)
HELL no! This idea SUCKS!!
10 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: A Tour Where Most or all of the Songs are From the Last Three Albums  (Read 2097 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
There are a lot of strong opinions on both sides about all of the last three albums. But I was thinking: What if either on the second leg of The Astonishing tour, or if they were to go on tour in either 2017 or 2018, WITHOUT a new album to promote, and play nothing but the music from "the Mangini era?" There are more than enough tracks from just these albums for an "evening with" show. In fact, if they were to try to play all of them in their entirety, it would take almost 4 & 1/2 hours! I'm not advocating THAT, I'm just saying that there is enough varied materiel from JUST those three albums that they could play a 2 & 1/2 to 3 hour show each night and STILL have a rotating set-list! And with only that many albums to choose from, it would make the rotation decisions a lot easier to make. So...what do YOU think? Is it a GOOD idea? A bad one? Take it or leave it? Anybody got a set-list or lists in mind?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: A Tour Where Most or all of the Songs are From the Last Three Albums
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
This is technically what they're doing on the current tour. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
This is technically what they're doing on the current tour. :P

Well, yeah. Still, a mix of all three would work considering that IMO the material is strong enough to support itself live without any classics to fall back on.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »
My ideal answer would be a mix of "It would be fine with me if they did this, because I'm a hardcore fan, and I would go no matter WHAT they're playing" and "I would at least want the encore to be something different". I'm all for the idea but to go overkill with it and play songs from exactly only three albums is a bit too much.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
First act:

The Astonishing: Act 1

Second act:

The Astonishing: Act 2

Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

Encore:

Just Let Me Breathe
Status Seeker
6:00
The Silent Man
You Not Me
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
Although I love those three albums, I would not really understand why they would do that. I would have understood if idk maybe Spock's Beard did something like that because Neal Morse was their ONLY composer who wrote all the music (except for a few tunes) and after he left they tried something TOTALLY different with Feel Euphoria, Octane etc..
After Portnoy left DT still sounded (and sound) like DT, unmistakably. Sure, there were some changes made and Portnoys impact on the albums WDaDU-BC&SL is undeniable, but I believe that Petrucci and Rudess had just as much impact on those albums (in Jordans case starting from SFAM), if not more.
I think Genesis did something similar like that in the late 80s, but that was because their 80s stuff contained a ton of hit singles that newer fans wanted to hear. Still, they sometimes played some old classics for "the old fans". I don't see DT doing a ton of chart hits in the coming years and thereby gaining new fans who only wanna hear the new, well known stuff.
Also I think a lot of fans would not attend concerts if they heard that DT was doing something like that. Even playing The Astonishing, and ONLY The Astonishing in its entirety got some criticism, although this seems way more reasonable to me than promoting the "Mangini-Era".
So I actually see no point in doing that.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »
Even though ADTOE is the only one of these 3 releases in the top half of my DT album rankings, there's still more than enough great material between the 3 to fill an Evening With setlist with songs I really like.

However, aside from the obvious issue of neglecting 20 years+ of other music, there are also only a handful of songs from those 3 albums that I haven't already seen live that I'd like to see. Lost Not Forgotten & This is the Life weren't played when I saw them on the ADTOE tour and The Bigger Picture, Surrender to Reason & Behind the Veil I didn't see on the DT12 tour. Having seen the second night in London the other week, I've obviously seen them play all of The Astonishing.

So personally, I wouldn't be interested in a tour like that at all - way too many incredible songs I haven't seen them play before that I'd rather hear. And just in general, I don't think it's a great idea to exclude such a large portion of the band's history (this current tour is clearly a unique circumstance).
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
First act:

Second act:

Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

Encore:

Just Let Me Breathe
Status Seeker
The Silent Man
You Not Me

3:43 seems a bit long. You have to Just Let Them Breathe.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »
Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

Encore:

Just Let Me Breathe
Status Seeker
The Silent Man
You Not Me

Opening with a big epic and then following with a very soft ballad, and in the end having a big epic followed by a piano ballad and then an instrumental, and 3 songs no one cares about in the encore with the less cared about as closer? I would find all of this a tiny little bit anticlimatic to say the least...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

I don't think it's right to put TEI before FAS, and why end a set with a song that is meant as an introduction? They'd basically be building up to a break.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »
First act:

Second act:

Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

Encore:

Just Let Me Breathe
Status Seeker
The Silent Man
You Not Me

This is his (and ONLY his!) idea of a joke. We can't make anyone take the idea seriously, but maybe if we IGNORE him, he'll just go AWAY.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »
Quite frankly, I voted the last option and I think many well attest to me being a hardcore fan. If they were to change up several of the songs, it would give me more motivation to go, since I really appreciate it when they do such things, but given the distance I presently need to travel to get to a gig, it would be a 50/50 proposition at best.

The thing is, during this tour, they're doing just the present album, and on the Along for the Ride tour, they just included songs from 6 of their 12 albums, aside from a handful of festival gigs where they threw in PMU. Considering how much of a back catalog they have, and how many songs haven't been played for some time, I really think it would be crazy for them to ignore the rest of their catalog and do something like what you're suggesting,

Third act:

Illumination Theory
Beneath the Surface
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Along for the Ride
Breaking All Illusions
Far From Heaven
False Awakening Suite

Encore:

Just Let Me Breathe
Status Seeker
The Silent Man
You Not Me

Opening with a big epic and then following with a very soft ballad, and in the end having a big epic followed by a piano ballad and then an instrumental, and 3 songs no one cares about in the encore with the less cared about as closer? I would find all of this a tiny little bit anticlimatic to say the least...
LOL! Train of Naught's pulling a chaossytem on chaossystem!  :rollin  Well played ToN!   :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »
This is his (and ONLY his!) idea of a joke. We can't make anyone take the idea seriously, but maybe if we IGNORE him, he'll just go AWAY.

That has been our (the mod staff's) approach to your threads.  But so far it has not worked, as evident by the fact that you keep posting the same kinds of things you have been told not to post.  Knock it off.  You will not be warned again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."