Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing Game  (Read 11056 times)

Offline Enalya

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing Game
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 01:55:43 AM »
I see you use a lot of the same software I do. Maybe we should make an Astonishing game of our own. :biggrin:

That came out like some kind of really really nerdy pickup line. :lol

If you need an illustrator or something for a threesome let me know.  ;)

HAHA effective!
@Blob, I searched you up and you've got amazing stuff (I kinda remembered I read somewhere you made DT stuff as well). You're my new hero! ;D

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 06:09:46 AM »
Here is a huge interview granted to Your Majesty (French fan club) by the creators of the game. A lot of useful info ;)
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2016/07/11/interview-in-english-interview-of-the-creators-of-the-astonishing-game/
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
I'd forgotten all about this.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
Here is a huge interview granted to Your Majesty (French fan club) by the creators of the game. A lot of useful info ;)
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2016/07/11/interview-in-english-interview-of-the-creators-of-the-astonishing-game/
Great interview! Many interesting and new bits of information (to me at least):

-I had assumed it was John who asked for the game to be non-violent; looks like I was wrong.
-Now I understand what 'pass and play' means. Great!
-If the company considers including 8-bit music which doesn't exist right now, I imagine the release of the game won't happen any time soon. Maybe by the end of the year?
-What was the "special bonus" you thanked Ivar for? Did he show you new images/video of the game?

By the way, Damien, I also read your recent interview with Jordan. I liked this one bit in particular - I think it's great:

"Is the music so crazy that you need to do crazy videos :) ?
Yes."

I want to thank you again for mentioning my post to John in March. It was a great first half of the year for me - new (and amazing, in my opinion) album, being mentioned to John, then taking part in a Q&A with JP/JR in Luna Park (I got to ask the first question :) ), and attending the live show later that night. It's the closest I've been to a favourite band, and this year marks a decade since I became a fan, so I've been feeling really happy.

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 06:45:13 AM »
-What was the "special bonus" you thanked Ivar for? Did he show you new images/video of the game?
I got access to the beta version and they will sent me another version by the end of the month.
The game seems nice even if the beta is far from being finished (no videos, no music only an instrumental version of A Better Life, no spell effects, no multiplayer, no ranking; no tutorial...) but it's easy to understand. You should see the Astonishing story as a good way to get to know the game and then play it online.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Lucky! Oh, alright.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »
That interview was a great read. I have no interest in games, but would look forward to see how The Astonishing is represented in a game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
The game is not complete but the beta already includes the visuals,  the music and the story of the Astonishing : there's already the instrumental version of A Better Life, some videos broadcast during the concert (the workers working at the factory), the map available on the website, pictures of the main characters and elements from the official story. What is nice is that every unit (the guitarist, the judge...) has many written quotes from famous persons.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »
New trailer showing some gameplay (but not much that's new I'm afraid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCjWnYEIO58

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »
I'm afraid this game will come out once the hype for The Astonishing is all gone lol.

This should've been great close to release time, but now I do think it's kinda late. I hope it does well, of course.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
Will probably buy this out of curiosity, but I agree this game should've been released around the release of the album itself (same goes for that book and the special/vinyl editions).

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 02:38:12 AM »
Get Bethesda to create an Open World RPG in the vein of Oblivion, you play as a player created Minstrel and illegally try to spread music... can picture the guard chasing you in the street "stop right there criminal scum" when he sees you playing your lute :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2016, 05:16:12 AM »
You can tell it's genuine RoadRunner because it ends in "Coming Soon"  :P
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:03 AM »
 :soon:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »
Half-Life 3: The Astonishing?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
I'm so curious to check this out. I don't have that much spare time to add another game but this is DT after all.  :metal 

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:57 AM »
If you want a chance to test out the game a bit on PC, send me a note at noxon@dtnorway.com with your name and e-mail. I'll pick a handfull who get to play the game early...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
Wait, it's a PC game now? :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
It's always been a PC game as well as an iOS and Android game. All the releases I've been playing since last april has been PC.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
Your Majesty, the French fan club, is proud to announce that the game will be released on February the 5th for Android/iOS and on February the 6th for MAC/PC.
We'll post a review as soon as we get the game.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »
I do have low expectations for it, there really haven't been any decent games come from bands as far as I am aware of, at this point
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 03:53:07 AM »
This is up on Google Play, haven't decided if I'll take the plunge and buy it or not yet. :corn

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 05:33:11 AM »
So the game was released earlier: generally it takes some time for google play and apple store to test and review the game but it didn't take a lot of time so the game is available! And there are some contests to win some signed Images and Words vinyls.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 06:25:31 AM »
This is up on Google Play, haven't decided if I'll take the plunge and buy it or not yet. :corn

I'm torn on whether to get this or not too. I think I'll wait to hear/read some comments from people who have played. ;)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
Just went to buy it and got a warning that it was a huge file. I'll be purchasing it tonight when I'm home on Wifi. Will report back eventually.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
Holy cow, 500MB :lol

"This app would like to manage and make phone calls"

o_O?

Luckily you can deny that without any ill effects that I can tell.

EDIT: That's a lot of instructions, I will have to come back to it later today. Will probably also have to play this on my tablet, on the phone (and I have a large Nexus 6P) it's too small.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:52:57 AM by rumborak »

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
Screenshots on Google Play look pretty neat.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
It's awesome that they are giving out tickets to shows and aftershow passes , however what if someone won the contest during the eligible period that lived in North America and the prize was passes to a German or French show ? Don't get me wrong this is an awesome chance to win prizes for free but I think they should allow you to pick tickets to an upcoming show of your choice . What if there's only a handful of people from Germany who qualify and could actually win the tickets to that show ? I feel like lots of prizes will go unclaimed due to distance if that is the case .

Great game however , strategy and math come into play a lot in this game and it's fairly simple to learn ( I'm he worst at learning games and it took me less than 30 mins to learn strategy )

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Tickets and aftershow passes are fairly easy for them to just move around. I wouldn't worry about that.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
Tickets and aftershow passes are fairly easy for them to just move around. I wouldn't worry about that.
Awesome Noxon !

The game is really fun and strategic so far . I've made it to the 4th level already . I think it's easier playing as ravenskill, there seem to be a few more attack options . A well thought out game with good interaction 9/10. Plus I enjoy the instrumental parts of the astonishing during gameplay

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
So the game is pretty cool. I've only had about twenty minutes to mess with it, and most of that was the tutorial, but I'm digging it so far. I've played one complete game and got my ass handed to me by the AI. Seems to be a decent amount of strategy involved and feels like 21st century chess. I can't wait to actually learn all the functionality and moves as I'm basically button mashing at this point without a full understanding of the game's mechanics. But again, that's me being a noob and not the game. This seems really thought out and shows good potential.

You have the ability to play online. I haven't checked that out yet, so I'm not sure if it's random opponents only or if you have the ability to play against a friend. If you can play against specific users, I think a DTF bracket tourney would be pretty fun!.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:24 AM »
I got it yesterday - come on it's just 3 bucks, how could you not.  Seems like an ok game.  I haven't had much time to do much past just messing around.  In fact, last night all I did was let the music play and listened to that.  How many songs are on there?  Is seems like only 3 but maybe there are more when you play it longer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
It looks interesting, I may give it a shot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
I'm really terrible at this game. I can't get my purple meter up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
They have pills for that now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.