Author Topic: Shows You Gave Up On  (Read 14572 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Shows You Gave Up On
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
The worst is when the "crowd" says "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!"  :lol So fucking cheesy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Agents of SHIELD - I've heard it's gotten better but S1 was painful to sit through and I got maybe 8 or 9 episodes in. As much as I like their films and the netflix shows, I just don't have that interest for a show focusing on SHIELD and what their agents are up to.

The Simpsons - Used to be really fun, but not just that, it also had heart and was a well written show. Later seasons are mostly filled with product placement, references to modern culture and it's lacks the comedy and heart that made it so great initially.

Heroes - First season was really great, and I remember following the show even if declined, but the last season could just not keep my interest up. I was kinda losing interest before that, but for whatever reason I stayed longer than I should have. Never watched the re-launch.

Fringe - A nice little show, but to me it felt like a less interesting X-Files. I watched the first season but didn't feel a strong urge to return.

The Big Bang Theory - Loved the first few seasons, but as the show has gone on, it's not really funny anymore. What used to be great character perks are now annoying and overused, and I really hate it when they take something that was fairly subtle and subdued in the first few seasons (and worked because of those reasons) and turn it up to eleven and it loses everything that made it great in the first place.

Lastly, while I haven't left the ship yet, I feel like I should jump ship on The Walking Dead. I know a lot of people who paint it up like one of the best shows on television, but it is painfully mediocre. I liked the first season, but every season since has been a chore to get through. There are a few good episodes per season, but far too few to warrant sticking to it. At this point I feel like I'm watching for the wrong reasons. Getting some form of closure after all the wasted time, getting amusement from "so-bad-its-good" moments, and just sticking with it so that people can't shove the whole "the show is much better now, I promise" argument up my face.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
These are shows that I didn't really "gave up", but rather didn't interested me enough to come back to them after the initial season (the list of stuff to watch it's growing and growing and you have only so much free time) :

Six Feet Under
Downton Abbey
The Walking Dead
Hannibal
Sleepy Hollow

The rest I started watching, I'm still watching... or watched 'til the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »
Most shows I can think of are ones I just got behind on and never caught up. I guess there are some animes that I consciously decided to stop watching, but I doubt anyone here is gonna know what I mean when I talk about how shitty Freezing was.

Do shows I never watched again after seeing the first episode count? If so, both Gotham and the Flash.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
The worst is when the "crowd" says "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!"  :lol So fucking cheesy.

Dialogue aren't jokes.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
I drop many shows for a variety of reasons. Once a show fails to hold my attention for a span of episodes, I stop watching.

Aside from that, my most notable drop is Archer. By the opening episodes of season 3, I had slowly come to realize that I despised every single character, and found most of the humor frustrating and stressful. For example, the paternity test episode. Though I appreciated the irony in those events, that stuff is literally my worst nightmare. A lot of the "jokes" were characters talking past each other in an irritating manner, and it reached a point where I couldn't take the show's shit anymore.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
True Blood - I was gonna tough it out and finish the show just because I had already invested time in it, but I just couldn't muscle through the last 2 seasons.

Gotham - Watched the first 5-6 episodes and didn't enjoyed much of it, if anything at all so yeah stopped.

The Big Bang Theory - Actually really enjoyed the first 3 seasons, then everyone go a girlfriend and it turned into a typical sitcom and I stopped watching.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »

One show I've never understood why people like it is The Big Bang Theory. So awful!

:hug: :hifive:

It's dreadful.

Agreed.

That's OK... My best friend doesn't like Arrested Development, which I think is excellent (even the last season).

We can still get along!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
The best thing to come out of TBBT are these memes:

Now THAT made me laugh! If the show consisted entirely of memes like that one, I would watch it for sure.

That meme reminded me of a bit in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dynsL1qRklI
Fun fact: one of the lead actors in The Big Bang Theory also appears in the video :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »

One show I've never understood why people like it is The Big Bang Theory. So awful!

It's dreadful.

Agreed.

That's OK... My best friend doesn't like Arrested Development, which I think is excellent (even the last season).

We can still get along!

Of course.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »

It's dreadful.

Oh yea, another show I gave up on. Also How I Met Your Mother, though I did end up finishing it when it was on Netflix, just for the hell of it. Awful ending.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »
Oh yea, another show I gave up on. Also How I Met Your Mother, though I did end up finishing it when it was on Netflix, just for the hell of it. Awful ending.

Hey, that one too! My sister and some friends of mine like it, but I just find it boring as hell.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »
Fuller House - Does this count? I mean, I made it 5 or so minutes in before dropping out.

The Walking Dead - I hear frequently from friends who watch it avidly to "just wait 3 or 4 seasons, it'll get good, promise!". I think the point of an engaging show is to not leave you so disinterested that you drop out before "getting to the good part". Every part should be the good part, and if not, you can't really blame anyone if they're unwilling to sit through <blank> number of seasons while the show drags its feet from mediocre writing.

The Simpsons - I think most are in agreement. The later seasons just don't do it.

Family Guy - Pretty much the same thing as Simpsons.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »
The Walking Dead - I hear frequently from friends who watch it avidly to "just wait 3 or 4 seasons, it'll get good, promise!". I think the point of an engaging show is to not leave you so disinterested that you drop out before "getting to the good part". Every part should be the good part, and if not, you can't really blame anyone if they're unwilling to sit through <blank> number of seasons while the show drags its feet from mediocre writing.

This is another one. I watched the first season, and was not impressed by anything past the pilot. I think I finally dropped it a few episodes into season 2; it was incredibly dull. The comics are a lot better, though I have yet to buy/read the second and third compendiums.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
The Simpsons - one of the best TV series ever, on the strength of the first 10 seasons or so, but when it went downhill, I jumped ship fast.

Frasier - the last few seasons of this took place when I had went back to college and was still working full time and going out a lot, so I simply lost my way watching it, and have never gone back to watch those last few seasons. I am sure I will eventually.

SVU - I never watched this in order anyway, since I got into it maybe 4-5 years ago, but while I will still catch the occasional new episode, I never go out of my way.  The whole storyline with William Lewis was not only difficult to watch at times, but went on for too many episodes, and made you more mad than anything.  For most of the series, it was a cop show about horrible crimes, but at some point, they thought that shock value should become the norm.

Mad Men - for the record, I liked this show a lot, but I didn't start watching it until maybe two years ago. I got through maybe 7-8 episodes and liked them all, but I was so far behind, and it didn't strike me as a binge-worthy type show, so I simply stopped watching.

Orange Is The New Black - Season 3 was so uninteresting that I simple gave up about halfway through.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
The Simpsons - one of the best TV series ever, on the strength of the first 10 seasons or so, but when it went downhill, I jumped ship fast.

Frasier - the last few seasons of this took place when I had went back to college and was still working full time and going out a lot, so I simply lost my way watching it, and have never gone back to watch those last few seasons. I am sure I will eventually.

SVU - I never watched this in order anyway, since I got into it maybe 4-5 years ago, but while I will still catch the occasional new episode, I never go out of my way.  The whole storyline with William Lewis was not only difficult to watch at times, but went on for too many episodes, and made you more mad than anything.  For most of the series, it was a cop show about horrible crimes, but at some point, they thought that shock value should become the norm.

Mad Men - for the record, I liked this show a lot, but I didn't start watching it until maybe two years ago. I got through maybe 7-8 episodes and liked them all, but I was so far behind, and it didn't strike me as a binge-worthy type show, so I simply stopped watching.

Orange Is The New Black - Season 3 was so uninteresting that I simple gave up about halfway through.

I am similar with Mad Men. I really like the show, but I just couldn't keep up. I might try again now that's it finished. Similar with Walking Dead. Stopped after season 2 because I lost track.

You should go back to Frasier. It has some dud episodes, but one of the only shows to stay consistently great for all 11 seasons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 09:32:21 PM »
Walking Dead - Got weaker with each season plus too many boring episodes, you have to wait too much to get a great episode.

Supernatural - Should have ended a long time ago.

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
Dexter - After the abominable Season 5, I just lost the will to continue and stopped watching.

Heroes - Season 1 was good, season 2 was not as good but more a result of the writer's strike (or so I thought), season 3 was a mess and I didn't continue.

Arrow - The second half of season 1 and the first half of season 2 were f'in great. Season 3 was a huuuge step down into shitty plotting and terrible 'drama.' I never picked the show back up when it returned for the current season.

True Blood - I started watching Season 4 but I realized I didn't give a shit anymore so I stopped.

The Big Bang Theory - This season. It's just not funny.

Inu-Yasha - Right around after they 'killed' Naraku for like the tenth time (slight hyperbole).

Hell On Wheels - It was trying soooooo hard to be the new Deadwood but the writing and characters just weren't up to snuff. It was boring and I never made it through season 1. The Swede was cool though.

The Nightly Show - 1) It's not that funny, 2) The format of the show sucks, and 3) Larry, unfortunately, is not a very good host.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
This almost made me stop watching Breaking Bad, but I'm near the end of season 3 and shit finally got intense. The fly episode was filler as fuck tho.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
Dexter - After the abominable Season 5, I just lost the will to continue and stopped watching.

You didn't lost anything.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »
This almost made me stop watching Breaking Bad, but I'm near the end of season 3 and shit finally got intense. The fly episode was filler as fuck tho.

Except Breaking Bad is consistently great. :lol Oh, Sacul :getoffmylawn:

I feel they needed an episode like The Fly to just let shit settle for a bit. There's always something going on in that show but resting back to take a breather is nothing bad at all, and it's cool that it still feels like a Breaking Bad episode, with all the characters being on point still.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »
Aside from that, my most notable drop is Archer. By the opening episodes of season 3, I had slowly come to realize that I despised every single character, and found most of the humor frustrating and stressful. For example, the paternity test episode. Though I appreciated the irony in those events, that stuff is literally my worst nightmare. A lot of the "jokes" were characters talking past each other in an irritating manner, and it reached a point where I couldn't take the show's shit anymore.

I love Archer, but the Archer Vice season (S5) was painful to get through. It's better now, but I don't think they've fully recovered from it yet. I thought everything up till then was still great though.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2016, 10:18:01 PM »
Oh, Sacul :getoffmylawn:

Having flashbacks of this? :neverusethis:

NOTHING YOU DO WILL EVER SURPRISE ME ANYMORE, SACUL.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »

I feel they needed an episode like The Fly to just let shit settle for a bit. There's always something going on in that show but resting back to take a breather is nothing bad at all, and it's cool that it still feels like a Breaking Bad episode, with all the characters being on point still.

Agreed.  The first time through, The Fly threw me off, since every other episode did so much to advance the storyline, and that one did not, but on the second time around, it was pretty awesome.  Very funny, and the scene near the end where Walt admits that he has lived too long is just incredible.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2016, 02:16:22 AM »
That sucks to hear about The Leftovers. Seneca is a big fan of the show and he recommended I watch it. I just watched the first two episodes the other night, and while I'm a little confused with a lot of things, it's holding my interest. Without spoiling anything, what made you quit?
Eh, it really, really wasn't holding my interest. The first season was decent, and the payoff was ok though nothing special IMO. And then the start of the second season was really hard work and I didn't like any of the characters, so didn't really give a shit what happened to them. And the show didn't have enough going on to keep me interested.

Agreed.  The first time through, The Fly threw me off, since every other episode did so much to advance the storyline, and that one did not, but on the second time around, it was pretty awesome.  Very funny, and the scene near the end where Walt admits that he has lived too long is just incredible.
I really liked The Fly because I thought it provided some great character exploration, which in general was very slow going on that show.

I also like Big Bang Theory. Screw the haters. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2016, 03:48:47 AM »

Hey, that one too! My sister and some friends of mine like it, but I just find it boring as hell.

This one I finished, just because I wanted to know how it would end. And damn did that ending suck. It's a real shame too because the earlier seasons are just really really good.

The Walking Dead - I hear frequently from friends who watch it avidly to "just wait 3 or 4 seasons, it'll get good, promise!"

Oh, it never gets good, I promise.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:44 AM »
Agents of SHIELD
Gotham
How I Met Your Mother

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 04:47:13 AM »
Friends. After a few seasons I stopped watching.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »
Arrow - A few minutes into the second episode of season 2 I violently realized I don't give a shit about anything happening on screen. Also, I hate CW.
I watched about half of the first season before there was so much teenage-level, dramatic, relationship bullshit that I couldn't take it anymore. It's a soap opera. Which is exactly why the CW is terrible. I didn't even give The Flash a chance, because I assume it's more of the same.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »

That's why i like shows like Breaking Bad, ones that do not keep stalling like Walking Dead.

Calvin6s

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »
Lots of Walking Dead hate.  I've never really cared for zombie themes, but sometimes I can get into them if the writing, acting, etc. is enjoyable.  Nonstop glowing reviews had me thinking Walking Dead might be worth getting over my dislike of *zombies* and check out the first season.  Now, not so much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 11:46:44 AM »

It's dreadful.

Agreed.

:lol I cannot stand The Big Bang Theory. It's never once made me laugh, it has dialogue instead of jokes and the characters are all awful and grating.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
Star Trek isn't a comedy...

What has that got to do with anything? If you're implying that Big Bang Theory is funny because it's nerdy, then you've fallen for the trap of the show.