Author Topic: Shows You Gave Up On  (Read 14495 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Shows You Gave Up On
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
Just curious what shows you have all given up on. I don't really mean shows you fell behind on and then never picked back up, I'm talking about shows you made a conscious decision to never bother watching again.

Once Upon a Time is probably my most recent. This show started off so well, and out of nowhere it did a complete 180 and went to shit. It wasn't even a slow transition into shittyness, it kind of just happened all at once.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Shows You Gave Up On
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:07:42 AM »
Weeds. I thought it was going to be like a proto-Breaking Bad or something, but it ended up being (I think?) a comedy kind of thing. Unfortunately it wasn't funny, I hated all the characters and it was just generally unpleasant to watch.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. Which is a good thing, I guess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »
LOST ::)

I watched 10 episodes of season 1. Gave up after the 300th flashback.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
Yup, Once Upon a Time. I held on as long as I could, but the Peter Pan thing dragged on and on, and I just gave up. By that point I'm pretty sure every character was each other's half uncle.

Also, Sleepy Hollow. It was alright up until the most recent season when it felt like they were scraping to continue the show with rehashed ideas, and too many haircuts, so I gave up a couple of episodes in.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say The Simpsons. I still love the earlier seasons to death, but the last 10-15 years are so embarrassing that it actively pisses me off to see the steaming pile of shit it has become.

Not sure it counts, but Defiance. I wouldn't say I ever really got into it, but I stuck it out for the entire first season hoping it would improve, but when I was disappointed that the main character got brought back form the dead in the season finale, I figured it was time to just my losses.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
Mine are:

- Gotham
- Sleepy Hollow
- The Last Ship
- Z Nation
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:54 AM »
True Blood - loved season 1 and really enjoyed season 2. Season 3 was trash and got so Damn silly after that.

Heroes - before I knew what good television was. Season 1 was enjoyable at the time but I bet it doesn't hold up . fucking awful after season 1.

Hell On Wheels - thought this show had a lot of potential but it was the most boring show I've had to sit through and the characters were terrible.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »
The simpsons, about 13 years ago

The walking dead. Not that its bad, just fatigue.

South park, mostly fatigue

Family guy, just lost interest 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
Sleepy Hollow
Supernatural
Grimm
Grey's Anatomy
House of Cards(I know, I know...I just can't get into it.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »
Law & Order: SVU
Grimm

That's about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »
Yes modern day Simpsons is really really bad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
Heroes - before I knew what good television was. Season 1 was enjoyable at the time but I bet it doesn't hold up . fucking awful after season 1.

Oh...this, absolutely. I stuck thru the second season but never returned after....

Hell On Wheels - thought this show had a lot of potential but it was the most boring show I've had to sit through and the characters were terrible.

I've stuck with the show the whole time despite its shortcomings.....they are milking the heck out of this last season, split it into (2) 6 episode sections and they haven't even said when they are airing the last 6 episodes.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »

Oh...this, absolutely. I stuck thru the second season but never returned after....

I've stuck with the show the whole time despite its shortcomings.....they are milking the heck out of this last season, split it into (2) 6 episode sections and they haven't even said when they are airing the last 6 episodes.

I wish I enjoyed Hell on Wheels as much as you. I don't know, I just felt it never went anywhere. Then again I only saw a season and a half I think? I can't remember.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 11:06:33 AM »
Gotham (I just couldn't stand the cheese and acting...and portrayal of characters)
Supernatural (Again, aforementioned cheese)
"THE HUNDRED" (The 100; I'm not sure why I even started watching and don't understand any love for this dumbass writing at all)
Wentworth (might actually pick this up again though...miiiight)
The Expanse (I wanted to love it so bad but just don't give a shit about anything in the show...meh)
Damages (first season awesome, after that stupid fucking stupid)
American Horror Story (....*sounds of farts and diarrhea*)
New Girl (blah, blah, blah comedy)
The Following (it just got REAL stupid...and was already kind of ridiculous)

There might be a few more but that's all I can remember. I think the only one I was really disappointed with was AMH because it had so much potential after that first season and just shit itself. Over and over.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
Tio, Supernatural should have just ended at season 5, which was what I thought to be the peak of the series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
"THE HUNDRED" (The 100; I'm not sure why I even started watching and don't understand any love for this dumbass writing at all)

Tio...I binge watched the first (5) episodes one night and am still trying to decide if I'll make the plunge or not to tear back into it.

American Horror Story (....*sounds of farts and diarrhea*)

None of the subsequent seasons ever came close to touching Season 1. In fairness...I didn't watch one frame of the last season, maybe it was better but everything after season 1 never captured the magic of that first season.

And....I too gave up on 'The Following' about four episodes in.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I watched a few episodes of season 1 of AHS, and I really enjoyed it and was hooked, but I got sidetracked and never got back on it unfortunately. I will definitely make sure to do so though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
Once Upon a Time. Just completely gave up after Peter Pan story line started.

Was considering giving up on Love, but it was such a short show that I suffered through it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
Simpsons nowadays is so, so bad.

it used to be a nice animated sitcom with buckets of charm and charisma.

Now it's entirely self-referential and the jokes have the most obvious punchlines possible and if a cliche can be used instead of something else then it'll be used. **

** although sometimes with a look to camera - which is even worse.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »
I watched a few episodes of season 1 of AHS, and I really enjoyed it and was hooked, but I got sidetracked and never got back on it unfortunately. I will definitely make sure to do so though.

First Season was just awesome TV. It really was unique and the acting performances were great, story was cool. IMO they never re-captured that allure that season 1 had.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

Now it's entirely self-referential and the jokes have the most obvious punchlines possible and if a cliche can be used instead of something else then it'll be used. **

I have never watched one single episode of the Simpsons. Obviously I know what it is, have seen a clip here or there but that's it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
The first 8 - 10 series are GREAT tv.

After that they entirely ran out of ideas but kept it going for another 15 years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Tio, Supernatural should have just ended at season 5, which was what I thought to be the peak of the series.

No good series should end after 5 seasons but I do understand why you are saying this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
I should also add Dexter. Never even watched the last season. Just quit caring by that point.

I also initially gave up on Californication, but eventually forced myself to watch the last season or two. It was not a good decision.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
I should also add Dexter. Never even watched the last season. Just quit caring by that point.

You didn't miss out anything, but I think season 7 was excellent and a true return to form. It made the atrocity that was season 8 even harder to endure.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 01:10:31 PM »
Actually, having rewatched relatively recently, season 1 still holds up really well. Season 2 was not very good. After that it settled at adequate - some great ideas brought down by nothing really making any sense.

I didn't consciously give up on shows in the past, merely stop paying attention and so on. But these days I'm a bit more committed to keeping up with the shows I'm watching, and there are now two I've given up on:

Helix
The Leftovers

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »

No good series should end after 5 seasons but I do understand why you are saying this.

The only reason I say this is just because of where the story is at the end of season 5. I feel things were at such a high point that 5 more seasons and counting seems a little bit much.

Actually, having rewatched relatively recently, season 1 still holds up really well. Season 2 was not very good. After that it settled at adequate - some great ideas brought down by nothing really making any sense.

I didn't consciously give up on shows in the past, merely stop paying attention and so on. But these days I'm a bit more committed to keeping up with the shows I'm watching, and there are now two I've given up on:

Helix
The Leftovers

That sucks to hear about The Leftovers. Seneca is a big fan of the show and he recommended I watch it. I just watched the first two episodes the other night, and while I'm a little confused with a lot of things, it's holding my interest. Without spoiling anything, what made you quit?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
The X-Files. 4 episodes in I realised that, despite liking paranormal stuff, I couldn't sit through 9 seasons of it. I may come back to it tho.

Calvin6s

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Usually, if I give up on them, they also quickly leave the RAM until somebody else spins up the HDD.  So going off what others have mentioned:
Gotham
Grimm
New Girl
PBS Frontline hasn't done much for me lately

There are probably too many shows I finished off just because it was so close to the end.  X-Files could be one of them.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »

I agree. For a long time I thought that the reason people didn't like the recent seasons in South America was because the humour got lost in translation or something. That doesn't seem to be the case.
Another issue we have is the dubbing. The actor's voices in the '90s were AMAZINGLY funny - to the point were I watch the same clips in English and I don't laugh as much. Around 2003 (I think) the most important actors were replaced, so now not even the jokes aren't funny, but the voices don't help either.
That said, I laughed immediately after the "I smell Oscar" joke the first time. That one I liked, eventhough it was so stupid.

As far as other shows: I used to love The Office (US version). I think I watched some episodes from Carell-less seasons, and I liked Will Ferrell replacing him, but then it just felt repetitive. The same goes for Two And Half Men.

One show I've never understood why people like it is The Big Bang Theory. So awful!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Arrow - A few minutes into the second episode of season 2 I violently realized I don't give a shit about anything happening on screen. Also, I hate CW.

The Walking Dead - After six years (of which I spent three bored), I quit after having seen the absolute worst writing I have ever seen in a big budget "professional" TV show.

Otherwise I have stuck to most series I've started. I've fallen a few years behind on stuff like Family Guy and South Park, but I still like those, and might see more some day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

One show I've never understood why people like it is The Big Bang Theory. So awful!

:hug: :hifive:

It's dreadful.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »
Agreed.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
My roommate was watching Fuller House and I walked in and immediately gave up. So cringeworthy..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
Agreed.

Character walks into a room.

Sees another character.

Character 1 : Hey

Character 2 : Hey

" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "

Offline BlackInk