Author Topic: Sale price deteremined by race, gender and sexual preference  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Calvin6s

Re: Sale price deteremined by race, gender and sexual preference
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »
o
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:22:59 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
k
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:23:09 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
In-N-Out is the worst.

And like CramX3 said, it's nothing but a chunk of chicken on a generic bun.

As for your topic at hand, the victim of the lady's night thing is the 50% of the population who don't get discounted drinks. I get that it's good for the business, and good for men looking for drunk women, but if you're just going in there for a couple of beers I can see how it'd be annoying (though I wouldn't be rushing off to throw money in Bosk's direction because of it). There is a victim.

However, I suspect it has more to do with just being the logical conclusion of an anti-discrimination law. If you're not allowed to give discounts to white people, or straight people, then it would honestly need to apply to the ladies, as well. What I personally see as the distinction here is that it's lady's night, singular. If you did that one night and had guy's night the next, I'm not sure how that would be a problem.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »
Are you sure that lady's night is illegal because of a discrimination claim? Many states, including Texas, have bans on promotions that encourage people to drink more at bars. It's possible that your beef in this instance is with MADD rather than curmudgeonly male tightwads.

Yeah, unfortunately, greedy plaintiffs' lawyers have filed class action discrimination lawsuits in recent years against nightclubs offering ladies' night promotions, professional sports teams offering Mothers' Day promotions (yes, you read that right), and in other similarly absurd situations, and some of those have actually been ruled on in favor of the plaintiff classes.  But the costs of litigating class action lawsuits are so exorbitant, and the potential exposure if a verdict goes against the defendant is so high that business have been de facto bullied out of offering such promotions.

EDIT:  And as Barto kind of alluded to, whenever you have one class of people being treated differently than another, the class that is not receiving the perceived benefit is deemed to be the "victim," for all intents and purposes.  That is true even in the ridiculous types of cases I mention above.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:08:15 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
o
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:23:22 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »
Are you sure that lady's night is illegal because of a discrimination claim? Many states, including Texas, have bans on promotions that encourage people to drink more at bars. It's possible that your beef in this instance is with MADD rather than curmudgeonly male tightwads.

Yeah, unfortunately, greedy plaintiffs' lawyers have filed class action discrimination lawsuits in recent years against nightclubs offering ladies' night promotions, professional sports teams offering Mothers' Day promotions (yes, you read that right), and in other similarly absurd situations, and some of those have actually been ruled on in favor of the plaintiff classes.  But the costs of litigating class action lawsuits are so exorbitant, and the potential exposure if a verdict goes against the defendant is so high that business have been de facto bullied out of offering such promotions.

wow that sucks, as a single dude, we need more ladies nights!

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
What I personally see as the distinction here is that it's lady's night, singular. If you did that one night and had guy's night the next, I'm not sure how that would be a problem.

But there are two practical impediments that make it a problem:  (1) Ladies' night promotions generally increase business overall.  Dudes' night promotions do not.  (2) Given the litigation costs, nobody wants to be the test case for how a court might rule when they still inevitably get sued. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
Just change men's night to $5.99 steak tips & $2 bourbon pours and many guys will show up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »

EDIT:  And as Barto kind of alluded to, whenever you have one class of people being treated differently than another, the class that is not receiving the perceived benefit is deemed to be the "victim," for all intents and purposes.  That is true even in the ridiculous types of cases I mention above.
So what you're saying is that people suck?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
alright
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:23:36 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
alright
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:23:45 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
k
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:24:08 PM by Calvin6s »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
Well, we have a Mothers' and Fathers' Day, so there goes the thought that as long as both get their turn, no foul idea.
Nah, techinically I, as a confirmed non-breeder, will never be able to avail myself of that promotion. Victim!

Well there are two levels of victim.  Legally defined and publicly perceived.  If the average dude realizes the benefit of ladies' night, that lowers the pool of possible plaintiffs.  In other words, some things get less attention (legally) because the public interest isn't there, even if it is legally sound.  That is obviously the case as some states, like the highly litigious California, have gone the lawsuit for the sake of lawsuit route while others have not.  Then you have people that are willing to bring a lawsuit more to make a point than to achieve the specific point of their lawsuit.  I'm thinking the whole Hooter's gender discrimination and similar public and legal events.

One thing that is obvious is that there seems to be a line drawn that does not make it the cut and dry gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. dividing line.  Can this line even be defined beyond a few examples, but not an actual "equation".

And despite finding it silly when these things are taken to extremes, I can accept what we've come to. The problem is the hidden class between legal and perceived. Since nobody wants to be the test case, there's a huge gray area between the two which none of us can predict. This is why I'm concerned about the mob dictating acceptability. If it were simply a matter of a business owner being told this is what is and is not acceptable then I'd not be particularly troubled about it; nation of fairies, blah blah blah. Where I am troubled is when the business owner finds out about it because 20 million nimrods are tweeting about what a racist fuck he is. Times change and socially acceptable behavior does along with it. It had honestly never occurred to me that girl was offensive until the thread a week ago. I can see how somebody might have slipped on that. Same with the relatively new phenomenon of the athlete formerly known as Bruce. But the mob doesn't give a shit if it's an honest mistake, nor does it care if the intention was completely over its head. Putting out the torches is no where near as satisfying as firing the up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
k
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:24:19 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
Well, we have a Mothers' and Fathers' Day, so there goes the thought that as long as both get their turn, no foul idea.
Nah, techinically I, as a confirmed non-breeder, will never be able to avail myself of that promotion. Victim!

Well there are two levels of victim.  Legally defined and publicly perceived.  If the average dude realizes the benefit of ladies' night, that lowers the pool of possible plaintiffs.  In other words, some things get less attention (legally) because the public interest isn't there, even if it is legally sound.  That is obviously the case as some states, like the highly litigious California, have gone the lawsuit for the sake of lawsuit route while others have not.  Then you have people that are willing to bring a lawsuit more to make a point than to achieve the specific point of their lawsuit.  I'm thinking the whole Hooter's gender discrimination and similar public and legal events.

One thing that is obvious is that there seems to be a line drawn that does not make it the cut and dry gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. dividing line.  Can this line even be defined beyond a few examples, but not an actual "equation".

And despite finding it silly when these things are taken to extremes, I can accept what we've come to. The problem is the hidden class between legal and perceived. Since nobody wants to be the test case, there's a huge gray area between the two which none of us can predict. This is why I'm concerned about the mob dictating acceptability. If it were simply a matter of a business owner being told this is what is and is not acceptable then I'd not be particularly troubled about it; nation of fairies, blah blah blah. Where I am troubled is when the business owner finds out about it because 20 million nimrods are tweeting about what a racist fuck he is. Times change and socially acceptable behavior does along with it. It had honestly never occurred to me that girl was offensive until the thread a week ago. I can see how somebody might have slipped on that. Same with the relatively new phenomenon of the athlete formerly known as Bruce. But the mob doesn't give a shit if it's an honest mistake, nor does it care if the intention was completely over its head. Putting out the torches is no where near as satisfying as firing the up.

To an extent, the legal process does not either.  I mean, a case might be a dead-bang loser for the plaintiff(s) by the time it gets to trial.  But getting to trial takes years and costs upwards of six figures (sometimes lots more), and getting through trial doubles that.  Many businesses can't take that kind of financial hit just to prove that they are right.  And even if they are right, they still have to pay the huge deductible, and then have to deal with their insurance carrier jacking up their rates or canceling them because they have a claim.  A lot of businesses cannot even afford that kind of financial hit and go out of business as a result.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2016, 07:08:41 AM »
edit: and the last time I had a Chick-Fil-A sandwich I was woefully disappointed. It was the chicken based equivalent of a basic McDonald's hamburger, but it cost $5 instead of 99. When I was a kid it was great, but in the intervening 30 years it really turned to crap.

Usually, even when we disagree it's a matter of degree more than anything else (and even when it's not that, I totally understand where you're coming from).

Until now.

Chick-fil-A is unbelievable.  Once in a blue moon, if it sits too long, it will get soggy, but the coating they use on their fillets rivals KFC in my book.   Their lemonade is to die for (I used to get gallon jugs of the diet - which I usually despise - and put it in my frig).  The chicken salad is great too. 

I got to meet Truett Cathy (Google it) and two of his sons while at Emory getting my MBA.  Religious beliefs notwithstanding, you couldn't find three of the nicer people in the world, and - again, religious beliefs notwithstanding - you can't say that Truett (R.I.P.) didn't walk the walk.  Closed on Sundays, his orphanage... he put his money where his mouth was/is.  Again, you don't have to agree with their stance on gay marriage to acknowledge that they have done more good in the world than many similar entrepreneurs in the same position.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
To an extent, the legal process does not either.  I mean, a case might be a dead-bang loser for the plaintiff(s) by the time it gets to trial.  But getting to trial takes years and costs upwards of six figures (sometimes lots more), and getting through trial doubles that.  Many businesses can't take that kind of financial hit just to prove that they are right.  And even if they are right, they still have to pay the huge deductible, and then have to deal with their insurance carrier jacking up their rates or canceling them because they have a claim.  A lot of businesses cannot even afford that kind of financial hit and go out of business as a result.

All true, BUT, it is their choice.  If they WANT to make it an issue, or like Trump, continue it out of principle, they can.   With the mob, there isn't even the barest of choices.   It's a one-way dialogue. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2016, 07:19:15 AM »

I think Calvin is right with the "legal" and "perceived", but rather than there being a "hidden level" in between, I'd argue that the gap is closing so that the one looks like the other more and more.  And that's problematic.   I know we talk about "activist" judges on the national scene and it comes up most with things like "gay marriage" and what not, but I think this is where it's even more egregious.   The justice system is intended to put the parties in the position they reasonably could have expected to be in if both parties met their obligations, but it is NOT the equivalent of hitting the lottery.   The legal system was never intended to enforce the idea that nothing bad would ever happen to someone.  It was meant, in a way, to solve the problem of 'the tragedy of the commons' (I'm not talking about criminal law, here, but civil).   We've kind of lost that, and Erin Andrews can speak to that. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »
Chick-fil-A is unbelievable.  Once in a blue moon, if it sits too long, it will get soggy, but the coating they use on their fillets rivals KFC in my book.   

This is making me salivate.  The taste is very distinct, I've had similar chicken where people have tried to mock that fried flavor, but nothing beats Chick-Fil-A in this department.  The nuggets are amazing.  Better than KFC IMO in this regards.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »

All true, BUT, it is their choice.  If they WANT to make it an issue, or like Trump, continue it out of principle, they can.   With the mob, there isn't even the barest of choices.   It's a one-way dialogue. 

Not necessarily.  Let's say they get sued and their deductible is $100k, and the plaintiff(s) will not settle for less than $300k.  The business owner is stuck paying the first $100k in fees and fighting through trial unless the insurance carrier is willing to pony up to settle for the $300k.  There really isn't any "choice" in that scenario for the business owner.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
Chick-fil-A is unbelievable.  Once in a blue moon, if it sits too long, it will get soggy, but the coating they use on their fillets rivals KFC in my book.   

This is making me salivate.  The taste is very distinct, I've had similar chicken where people have tried to mock that fried flavor, but nothing beats Chick-Fil-A in this department.  The nuggets are amazing.  Better than KFC IMO in this regards.

This. I'd take Chick-Fil-A over KFC anyday. I also think Popeyes is better than KFC.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
I am convinced someone at Popeye's made some sort of deal that involved sale of one's soul to the devil.  Nothing has any right to taste that good.

I like Chick-Fil-A just fine.  But to me, it's nothing special.  The service is fantastic, which I appreciate (as well as some other things about their business practices).  But the food is just "good," and that's about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
I like Chik-Fil-A quite a bit.  The old # 1 is a classic, the spicy chicken is pretty good, and I love their nuggets with Polynesian sauce.  Also, it's never a bad time for waffle-cut fries.

No Popeyes here, but I've heard good things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
k
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:24:43 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »

Think Bojangles.  I believe they were the same company for awhile, but just different names in different regions.  They still have Bojangles in NC, right?

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Popeye's can be very good and priced competitively.  However, it can be very inconsistent.  When I recommend "there's a Popeye's right over there", I'm usually whistling in the wind.

Well, see, that's your problem right there.  Fried chicken and whistling don't really even go together.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

Think Bojangles.  I believe they were the same company for awhile, but just different names in different regions.  They still have Bojangles in NC, right?
We definitely have Bojangles.  I like Bojangles.

EDIT: A quick bit of research shows no connection between Bojangles and Popeyes.  Two completely separate companies.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
I somewhat miss the days when I was 20 or 21 and could polish off a 9-piece chicken & biscuit box from Bajangles and not gain an ounce. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
I forgot what thread this was for a minute. We need a fried chicken or general chicken thread because clearly we have a lot to discuss.  :lol

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2016, 12:52:55 PM »
lk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:24:55 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
I am convinced someone at Popeye's made some sort of deal that involved sale of one's soul to the devil.  Nothing has any right to taste that good.

I like Chick-Fil-A just fine.  But to me, it's nothing special.  The service is fantastic, which I appreciate (as well as some other things about their business practices).  But the food is just "good," and that's about it.

Wasn't Popeyes' started by a woman from N'awlins?  Maybe there's some voodoo shit going on there. 

I love Popeye's. I don't know what I'd pick between that and KFC, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
There was one really crappy Popeyes close to my old job, the only one I had ever seen.  I ate there a bunch of times and never thought it was anything special.  I'm guessing that location was just crap.  It wasn't bad but nothing I'd talk about the way you guys are here. 

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
Get out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
Get out.

They charged me more for being in Jersey too