Author Topic: PVRIS  (Read 1226 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
PVRIS
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
Anyone else a fan of PVRIS (pronounced PARIS)? Allmusic describes them as "dark, electronica-laced alt-rock." Kind of like a somewhat more electronic version of Paramore, if you're looking for a comparison. Their debut album, White Noise, is pretty killer, in my opinion. Probably not what most folks here will listen to, but they just released a new track that I'll link to below.

https://youtu.be/D0NqJgcbHe8

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: PVRIS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
Happened to catch them on Warped Tour and was impressed. Got White Noise and have been a big fan of it. Generally if I'm listening to "popular music" I prefer it to have bit of alt-edge and the debut is great for that IMO. The new song is ok, but I love all the songs off White Noise.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
This is surely not the type of band I think DTF would listen to, so color me surprised when I saw the thread title  :lol

Let me tell you, PVRIS is one of the most promising pop bands I discovered in 2015. I like how they use electronic beats a lot but know how to tone it down when it's needed and don't go full synthpop on all of their songs, and Lynn Gvnn may not be as famous as Hayley Williams but I find her voice way more versatile, prettier, harsher, and overall way better. You and I is an okay song, but I prefer songs like Let them In, Smoke or St. Patrick more. I also like that their quieter, slower songs like Holy or Eyelids aren't the typical token love pop ballads many other bands like them put in their albums.

I did feel White Noise had some bits of filler songs here and there, but I think it's really outstanding for a debut album. They definitely should be more famous and I'm really looking forward to what they'll put out next.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
This is surely not the type of band I think DTF would listen to, so color me surprised when I saw the thread title  :lol

Let me tell you, PVRIS is one of the most promising pop bands I discovered in 2015. I like how they use electronic beats a lot but know how to tone it down when it's needed and don't go full synthpop on all of their songs, and Lynn Gvnn may not be as famous as Hayley Williams but I find her voice way more versatile, prettier, harsher, and overall way better. You and I is an okay song, but I prefer songs like Let them In, Smoke or St. Patrick more. I also like that their quieter, slower songs like Holy or Eyelids aren't the typical token love pop ballads many other bands like them put in their albums.

I did feel White Noise had some bits of filler songs here and there, but I think it's really outstanding for a debut album. They definitely should be more famous and I'm really looking forward to what they'll put out next.
I'm a huge Hayley Williams fan, so I'm not going to be in full agreement here. Lynn has her own unique style--I love it when she goes gritty--and she has an awesome voice, but she doesn't have the chops Hayley has. But Hayley didn't on Paramore's debut album either. She didn't really branch out stylistically until their self-titled album.

Regardless, I agree that PVRIS is one of the most promising new acts out there. Once they're back on a tour with someone whom I can stand (i.e. not Fall Out Boy), I will definitely be at one of their shows, and I can't wait for more new music.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Wow, this song is really good. First time hearing of this band, but I think I'm gonna investigate them further.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
Wow, this song is really good. First time hearing of this band, but I think I'm gonna investigate them further.
Then this thread is a success! :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »
So their new album All We Know of Heaven, All we Need of Hell is out today!

Has somebody listened to them? The singles haven't been as good as the first album... Except from What's Wrong, which is a song I didn't like at the beginning but it gradually grew a lot on me. No Mercy is an amazing track, too :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 01:13:26 AM »
I knew a new album was coming, didn't know when. I'll probably get into this over the weekend.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
I have the new album, but I've only had a chance for one listen so far. My first impression is that it's a step down from White Noise, but it's too early to make that kind of judgement. Also, the way the vocals are produced, I'm having trouble understanding what Lynn is saying a lot of the time, but maybe it's just me.