Author Topic: Amusement/Theme Park, County/State/Country Fair, and Overall Ride thread  (Read 17842 times)

Offline Cable

Getting closer to that season for most in the US!  :tup

I thought about resurrecting this thread about Vacations, https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37856.105, but that is vacations. Even though Walt Disney World (WDW) took a huge part of that.

I am planning a WDW vacation at the end of this year, and am in general an amusement park person. I try to downplay it, but it's part of what I grew up doing. I used to have a season pass to Cedar Point for seven years from age 18-25. But for a lot of reasons, I stopped having one, and am refusing to go there for other reasons. I enjoy parks still as an adult, but I am trying to step out a bit to go to other places. Shifting to be a Disney fan, it has made me appreciate more of the theme behind things.

As such, I'm planning a spring trip to Holiday World. Wood coasters will always be my favorite, and The Voyage is one of the best apparently. It looks amazing via on ride videos, although it seems to have been tamed a bit via trim brakes halfway thru. Which is always a bummer on rides.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:08:41 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Amusement/Theme Park, State/Country Fair, and Overall Ride thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:00:21 AM »
I really have enjoyed Six flags great adventure in Jersey

I absolutely love EL toro. Yeah its wooden, which usually I don't care for, but this is my favorite roller coaster ever. The drop on this thing is insane and it is so intense. I love it

Also at this park was the great american scream machine. Built around 89, it was the first coaster that I fell in love with and until it was torn down, i could ride as many times as I wanted since it was so old, nobody wanted to go on it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:27:56 AM »
I'm a big amusement park fan, I'm only forty minutes from Bush Gardens and an hour and a half from Disney World. My favorite ride is Shikra at Busch Gardens, 90 degree drop is amazing and it's one of the smoothie at coasters around.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
I really have enjoyed Six flags great adventure in Jersey

I absolutely love EL toro. Yeah its wooden, which usually I don't care for, but this is my favorite roller coaster ever. The drop on this thing is insane and it is so intense. I love it

Also at this park was the great american scream machine. Built around 89, it was the first coaster that I fell in love with and until it was torn down, i could ride as many times as I wanted since it was so old, nobody wanted to go on it.

My home park. I love El Toro and dearly miss Great American Scream Machine, but my favorite ride in the park (favorite ride in general actually) would have to be Nitro.

It's quite the adventurous roller coaster, with over a mile of track, 9 hills, and a very forceful helix. Night rides are especially great because there are no lights on the track other than the lift hill so you can't see anything. This is the roller coaster that made me an enthusiast.

Another great park is Cedar Point in Ohio. A lot of great rides there but my two favorites are the 300 foot tall Millennium Force and insanely wild Maverick.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:42:25 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
I am a huge fan of parks and rides, but about 1,000 miles from anything here in the PNW  :'(
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
I'm a huge roller coaster fan! Of course the first two rides posted are the ones I'd most wish to go on. El Toro looks amazing, and Voyager has always been well known as one of the best. I'd love to visit them one day. My home park is Six Flags Great America, and although it apparently is one of the better SF parks, I don't find myself going there as much any more. This is definitely not a unique opinion, but Cedar Point has been my favorite park for coasters. I usually make it a point to go out there once a year.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Big coaster fan, though I don't see myself being able to ride them anymore without coming away with a seriously bruised kidney.

Since SFoT is the bastard stepchild of the Six Flags organization (kind of bullshit since it pretty much invented the thing), I adopted SF Magic Mountain as my preferred park. Between Tatsu, Full Throttle and my personal favorite Scream, it really delivers the goods.

I love how Scream has you do a diving sprial down to the parking lot. The stripes give a perfect frame of reference, heightening your awareness of what's going on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
I love roller coasters, and have traveled 1000 miles+ to ride specific coasters.  I grew up going to Cedar Point and Kings Island (both in Ohio).  As much as I still love those Parks, Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey has the best 123 coaster punch in El Toro, Nitro and Kingda Ka.  My favorite wooden coaster is still "The Beast" at Kings Island.  As long as the woodsy area that the ride goes through remains undeveloped, it will be hard to surpass that experience.

But also, I love Disney World - which is really great so long as you can immerse yourself in the "Disney Magic" and suspend any angst for corporate greed.  They do it right, and I not only enjoy the parks, but also the resorts and restaurants (mostly).  Oh, and if you can find a way to swing it, going off-season without the largest crowds and heat makes the parks a much different experience - so much better.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:59:25 AM »
I've been working for the Disney Parks, both Disney World and Disneyland, for almost 10 years now. Let me know if there's any advice I can give ya'll  :tup

Offline Cable

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »
I've been working for the Disney Parks, both Disney World and Disneyland, for almost 10 years now. Let me know if there's any advice I can give ya'll  :tup

Will do! Disney parks are my favorite, and a good piece of that are the Cast Members (employees). So many good stories I have heard, or experienced myself as a result.

Big coaster fan, though I don't see myself being able to ride them anymore without coming away with a seriously bruised kidney.

Since SFoT is the bastard stepchild of the Six Flags organization (kind of bullshit since it pretty much invented the thing), I adopted SF Magic Mountain as my preferred park. Between Tatsu, Full Throttle and my personal favorite Scream, it really delivers the goods.

I love how Scream has you do a diving sprial down to the parking lot. The stripes give a perfect frame of reference, heightening your awareness of what's going on.

I have never noticed Scream- looks awesome. Cannot go wrong with floorless B&Ms.

I still have not made it out to SF:MM. I will eventually. But to me, Cedar Point and MM have always competed. To me, from a distance, I think MM is ahead of CP for best collection. Especially since CP has removed two to make room for two different ones. If I compare similar type rides at each (Raptor to Batman, Mantis/Rogagoru to Riddlers etc), I feel MM edges CP out. Plus MM has X2! It is like MM, outside of wooden, has a coaster of basically every type.
---

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
Cannot go wrong with floorless B&Ms.

Can't wait to ride Mantis's conversion at CP. I've always enjoyed stand up roller coasters even though B&M was particularly bad at making them smooth.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:25 PM »
I have never noticed Scream- looks awesome. Cannot go wrong with floorless B&Ms.

I still have not made it out to SF:MM. I will eventually. But to me, Cedar Point and MM have always competed. To me, from a distance, I think MM is ahead of CP for best collection. Especially since CP has removed two to make room for two different ones. If I compare similar type rides at each (Raptor to Batman, Mantis/Rogagoru to Riddlers etc), I feel MM edges CP out. Plus MM has X2! It is like MM, outside of wooden, has a coaster of basically every type.
Scream's probably my favorite coaster out there. As you said, floorless B&M. Add to that the parking lot is really unsettling. There's a pass where you curve around sideways for a good clip a couple of feet off the asphalt and you can still see the stripes keeping everything in perspective. Add to that, it's old so the lines are often nonexistent.

Full Throttle is a definite contender. The launch over that enormous loop is pretty great, and the return over the top of it is probably even more intense.

X2 isn't particularly good, IMO. It's just sheer chaos. You're spinning so fast you never see enough to really figure out what the hell's going on. The ride up (facing back and down) and the initial drop are the entertaining parts. Once you pull up it's just a blur until you pull into the station. And MM has one very good woody and one famous one that's being remodeled into something quite unique. Terminator might be my favorite wooden coaster, fast and out of control. Cyclops, famous for John Candy and the Griswolds, was converted to a hybrid with some remarkable features. It's an old racing coaster, but since it now has inversions the two trains can cross over each other in opposition.

Cannot go wrong with floorless B&Ms.

Can't wait to ride Mantis's conversion at CP. I've always enjoyed stand up roller coasters even though B&M was particularly bad at making them smooth.
The only standup coaster I've ridden was Riddler and both times I didn't get much out of it. Just didn't think standing up really added anything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:06:57 PM »
I live not far from six flags great America... Went last year. It's always fun. Raging bull is the shit.

Growing up in Green Bay I always had bay beach. Seriously if you are looking for classic amusement park rides... Like fair rides... Go there. Open basically Memorial Day to Labor Day (weekends before and after) and tickets are 25 or 50 cents each. Yes you read that right. Some rides are like 4 tickets, but still. You go to a fair or a festival and it's like 3 times that amount. It's a complete ripoff.

Anyways, few years back the city purchased the Zippin Pippin... Apparently it was Elvis' favorite coaster. It's one of the oldest wooden coasters in the US (Obv they've refurbished it), but it is classic FUN.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline j

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »
Wood coasters will always be my favorite

Could you explain this?  I'm not a connoisseur or anything but I've been to my share of parks growing up, and I remember even the newer/well-maintained wooden coasters always being a rickety crapfest that left me with a sore neck and back.  Couldn't enjoy the actual ride because there was so much bumping, etc.  But I know of other people who share your opinion.  Just curious.

-J

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
I've been to Carowinds a number of times (around 90-100).  I'm a big amusement park nerd, and draw plans for parks all the time!  Also I'm working on a 3-D model of a B&M giga coaster.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »

Could you explain this?  I'm not a connoisseur or anything but I've been to my share of parks growing up, and I remember even the newer/well-maintained wooden coasters always being a rickety crapfest that left me with a sore neck and back.  Couldn't enjoy the actual ride because there was so much bumping, etc.  But I know of other people who share your opinion.  Just curious.

-J

Not speaking for Cable, but the best wooden roller coasters tend to be my favorite as well. It's usually because if they are done well, there is much more of a focus on fast hills, drops, and airtime, which are my favorite aspects of coasters. Yes, some rides are terrible because they are too rough and painful, e.g. the Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

But some of the best wooden coasters are some of the coasters in general, e.g. El Torro and The Voyage.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »

Will do! Disney parks are my favorite, and a good piece of that are the Cast Members (employees). So many good stories I have heard, or experienced myself as a result.

Even though Magic Mountain has more, Cedar Point's overall roller coaster collection is generally considered to be better (Six Flags Great Adventure's collection is considered better too for that matter). Looks can be very deceiving as far as rides are concerned (Manhattan Express at the New York New York hotel in Vegas is a great example of a roller coaster that looks fun but is actually terrible). I have never been to MM either but the general consensus among enthusiasts is that MM is great but CP is tops in the business.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
I'm a huge coaster fan, I've always wanted to go to Cedar Point but have never found the time or had the opportunity. I do live 40 minutes from Busch Gardens in Florida and it's a great park. If you're a Florida resident you pay for one days general admission and you get a year long ticket.

Anyway Shikra and Cheetah Hunt are some of my favorite there. They are opening up another new coaster this Spring called Cobra's Curse that from what I understand the car is open to free rotation while you're on the coaster.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
I f---ing love rollercoasters.  :tup

A few years ago I went to Thorpe Park in England where they had the Saw coaster. My buddy who I went with had special members passes to go to the park on members only days so there were no

queues anywhere. We must have gone on everything like 5 times.

Saw was amazing. vertical ascent - which is scary as crap and then a beyond vertical drop. We went straight back around and went on again :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6t_MiUy1w

I had released so much adrenaline that at the end of the day I was the most exhausted i'd ever been. Got home and slept for like 18 hours in a row.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
That is awesome Kotow, I love the start when it comes out the outside track.

Here are cam videos of my two favorite local rides:

Shikra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp5Dw4pBbns

Cheetah Hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDma8WzHT2o

Kumba (a classic at the park): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4usNzWNcz_k

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
There is a theme park not far from where I live in Wales called Oakwood with Europe's largest wooden coaster. Sitting at the back, the first drop is awesome.

Plus it has a vertical ascent coaster called Speed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
That Sheikra one looks awesome !!!!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
Yeah Busch Gardens Tampa has some great coasters

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Yeah Busch Gardens Tampa has some great coasters

I went to Busch Gardens Tampa in 1998 for my 8th grade class trip. It was my first time on real rollercoasters, outside of Disney World. I lost my prescription glasses on Montu. My vision uncorrected is TERRIBLE, and I had to have a friend essentially guide me around for the rest of the day. But Damn! those coasters are sweet!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
oh man 1998, that's around the time montu first opened up. Montu was my first real rollercoaster, I was scared out of my mind going up that first hill.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Montu is the best inverted coaster I've been on. I'd say it's probably the best ever, but I haven't had the pleasure of going on Nemesis yet.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »
When Montu first opened, there were live crocodiles in the ditch coming right out of the station  :metal.  But like animal rights and all... no longer there.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:59 AM »
Oh yeah, that ride delivered. A guy in my class was sitting up front with a hat on (shows how much we knew about roller coaster physics  :rollin) and it blew off. A kid in the back reached up and grabbed it out of the air. One gets off cussing that he lost his hat while the other guy says, "Who lost their hat? :biggrin:"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
Well thanks to all this talk in this thread my gf and I are heading to Busch Gardens this Saturday.

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »

-J

Not speaking for Cable, but the best wooden roller coasters tend to be my favorite as well. It's usually because if they are done well, there is much more of a focus on fast hills, drops, and airtime, which are my favorite aspects of coasters. Yes, some rides are terrible because they are too rough and painful, e.g. the Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

But some of the best wooden coasters are some of the coasters in general, e.g. El Torro and The Voyage.

Pretty much what Implode said! For distinction purposes, I refer to wood rides as having square shaped rails. Rides such as The Beast, The Cyclone, The Phoenix and so on are wood rides. Something like the Gemini at Cedar Point has a wood structure, but actual runs on steel rails. Because wood rides in general are not super high, nor generally have no inversions, the focus is indeed on those the drops, hills and turns. If you look at the enthusiast favourites, wood and steel, and the overall opinion, you will see a focus on negative G's aka "Airtime" as Implode noted. Using Cedar Point again, look at Millennium Force. That ride is consistently rated #1 or near the top of Golden Ticket's awards. It is very much wood inspired- all drops, speed and turns. Even better, the Magnum XL-200 at CP (my favorite there). It is out and back design, and all about hills. Out and back is a classic design, done in the days of wooden only rides. The ride actually isn't designed the best, so it is actually rough like a wooden ride.

I like the aggressive nature- call me a sadist or something. It also scares others away. But there is nothing better to me than a quick, sometimes unpredictable run through a wood structure. To that end, the traditional wood track never produces the same exact ride twice, as the train has more room to bounce around. A steel ride stays glued precisely to the rails. Traditionally also, the restraints are not what they are now. Rides like Millennium Force and El Toro (I think) have more form fitting restraints. They used to have a bench seat, with a shared or simple bar restraint. A ride like the Blue Streak at CP at one time had a restraint like this, and then they put in a seat divider and individual restraints and seatbelts. To many I guess, that destroyed the ride.

On the issue of the Mean Streak, I actually rode that ride when it was full speed. Now the drop is trim braked, and really destroys the ride. On top of course of the painful nature. But when the ride was new, it was amazing. My guess is the structure itself is flawed, as they gutted the Texas Giant in SF:Texas as it was by the same designer. But I am no engineer.

Montu is the best inverted coaster I've been on. I'd say it's probably the best ever, but I haven't had the pleasure of going on Nemesis yet.

Same here. I want to make it out to BG:Williamsburg though, because Alpengeist is like the highest interverted B&M ride. Nemesis looks to be a true mastery of theming and natural features, which can make a ride so much better. Not the best analogy, but something like The Tower of Terror (WDW version) vs. Dr.Doom at Universal or another 200+ ft drop ride. ToT is usually a lot better because of all the stuff involved.
---

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
On the issue of the Mean Streak, I actually rode that ride when it was full speed. Now the drop is trim braked, and really destroys the ride. On top of course of the painful nature. But when the ride was new, it was amazing. My guess is the structure itself is flawed, as they gutted the Texas Giant in SF:Texas as it was by the same designer. But I am no engineer.

I would love to have ridden it when it was new and with no trims on the first drop.

Same goes for Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America. It's a decent ride, but I bet it would be more than twice as enjoyable if they got rid of the trims on the second hill. I've heard stories about people who've ridden with them turned off, and they all say the ride is so much better.

Maverick is another example, though I understand why the brakes are there (I'm referring to the ones right after the boost halfway through the ride. It literally shoots you to 70mph straight into brakes :lol). I'm not sure if the brakes were always part of the design or if they were added at the same time the barrel roll was removed. I complain about this one a bit less because those tight turns at the end are still pretty dang forceful even if the ride was slowed down.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
On the topic of Mean Streak, that thing absolutely needs a retracking like what Texas Giant got. As it is right now, it's the roughest roller coaster I have ever ridden. I had heard that it gives you a beating but I still was surprised by how rough it really is. It's a shame because you look at the size and overall layout and there is an amazing roller coaster hidden in there somewhere. It's just being held hostage by its age and the crap job that the construction crew did when building it.

-MirrorMask

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »
Busch Gardens, Tampa shut down their only wooden coaster, Gwazi, a little over a year ago.  I couldn't ride it without getting a headache, and everyone I know who rode it during the last few years says the same thing.  It was built to be a dueling wooden coaster, and once you stop running the trains together, these rides just lose something.

Who's with me here: I'll ride anything but, those little "Wild Mouse" coasters scare me more than anything.  Convinced I will either die falling off the edge of one of those, or being eaten by a shark.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
Who's with me here: I'll ride anything but, those little "Wild Mouse" coasters scare me more than anything.  Convinced I will either die falling off the edge of one of those, or being eaten by a shark.

I'm with you on this. I can ride the 300 ft, 90+ mph coaster at one of my local parks without any issues, but the non-banked turns on those Wild Mouse rides terrify me. The same park has a ride that's based on the Wild Mouse; it has the same types of turns, but starts with a big drop and doesn't follow the exact layout. I never want to ride one of those things again.

RE: Wooden Coasters. I hated them until I tried riding one in the front car. The first two or three rows, depending on the car design, is a great experience. Everything after that makes my sides numb. My favorite wooden ride is Collosus from Heidepark in Germany, though I have yet to try some of the more famous ones in the US.

The two parks I really want to go to are Six Flags: GA and Cedar Point. Maybe this summer...
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »

Even though Magic Mountain has more, Cedar Point's overall roller coaster collection is generally considered to be better (Six Flags Great Adventure's collection is considered better too for that matter). Looks can be very deceiving as far as rides are concerned (Manhattan Express at the New York New York hotel in Vegas is a great example of a roller coaster that looks fun but is actually terrible). I have never been to MM either but the general consensus among enthusiasts is that MM is great but CP is tops in the business.
The general consensus is a 50/50 split. I checked several polls and reviews from the coaster sites and there is no winner between the two.

As for me personally, I get the impression that CP is more interested in breaking records than making kick ass coasters. That's why you get Top Thrill, which does one thing, and they lag behind everywhere else. They're just now opening a floorless coaster, 10 years after Scream. Seven years behind Tatsu for a flying coaster. Still no 4d coaster 14 years after X first opened. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to ride everything at Cedar Point, and I get that it's an awesome park. The important thing is that as long as MM and CP compete with each other everybody wins. MM just seems to be more style, and it's by no means a consensus better park.
E.F. Benson