Author Topic: Love - Netflix Original  (Read 1000 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Love - Netflix Original
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:56:41 AM »
Starring Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust, Judd Apatow is involved. I enjoyed it. Far from loved it but it did awkward comedic moments extremely well and were almost too organic at some points. But for the most part I ranged from caring very little to being fairly interested in the characters and the story. Absolutely the weakest Netflix Original I've seen so far though. Gillian Jacobs does a really great job of portraying a very troubled young adult who still has a whole lot of growing up to do and Paul Rust for the most part has the other end of the all-too-grown-up yet still somehow immature in his own way dork down to a T. It's a good boredom killer but to say I'm invested is a long shot. Great for a few rainy days though.

I will say however that the reviews that are completely tearing it down are pretty ridiculous. Although with how new it is, pretty much every review is bullshit at this point. I don't think I'll watch this again for some time though, so maybe that says something. I watched Master Of None again after like a week of first seeing it, which is probably the closest thing I'd compare it to that's a Netflix Original at this point.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
Re: Love - Netflix Original
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
Just finished watching it. It was ok. It felt like a typical romantic comedy, just made to be a bit longer. This didn't really need to be a Netflix series, and like you said, it's definitely the weakest show Netflix has put out so far.
I thought the acting was fine all around, but the story was very cliché and predictable. Especially the ending.  :\
And I hear it's already renewed for a second season? I probably won't watch it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:22:21 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
I posted about watching it twice in the last sentence of my post.  :laugh: :P Suffice it to say I agree; loved the hell out of it. This could hardly hold a candle to it.

I'm really surprised it got renewed for a second season already. I'll definitely at least check it out but it'll also assuredly be reserved for a day that I have literally nothing else to watch. I have a feeling it'll either rectify the issues after seeing how poorly it's being received, or do the exact same and I'll end up turning it off before the halfway point.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
I hated these characters. Hated them.

Little Geddy Lee turned down a three way with two hot sisters because he didn't want to be a party to incest? Dude has multiple women fighting over him?

And Jacobs has one good moment or two, and her acting was spot on, but her character was just awful. I honestly have not hated characters quite this much in a long time.

cool to see the counselor from Freaks and Geeks though.

Edit: I did like the scene where Geddy and Australia both decided to tank their date. That was cute. She was a cool character. And I also liked the one line Britta had at the end of their date when she apologized for not liking magic. That might be it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
I am in a 'show hole' so checked out the first episode.  I want my 40 minutes back.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
I ended up loving this show. I didn't pay much attention to the first episode, but I watched episode 2 through the finale. It wasn't an amazing show, but I still found it highly enjoyable. It felt like a really long version of Adventureland.

I look forward to season two, but I don't see how they're going to be able to milk this one much more than another season or two.