Author Topic: Half instrumental concert?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline terrell39

Half instrumental concert?
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »
As many amazing instrumentals as DT has, would you like to see them play all the instrumentals (which would probably be more than an hour).  That would mean a half instrumental (other half with vocals) concert and record it for blu-ray/cd (or even a tour like that)?

Online MirrorMask

Re: Half instrumental concert?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
No way, I would pass. Vocals are my favorite "instrument", and James is one of my favorite singers, so I wouldn't be interested in sitting through all the instrumentals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
Nah. A few thrown in here and there is fine for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:06:54 PM »
No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
It would be interesting but JLB is a big part of what makes DT what it is... if, for some reason, JLB cannot make it to one show and they had to play the show anyway, then I would be up for it.

Offline terrell39

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
That is the only reason I can think of where this would ever happen is if Jaime was sick or lost his voice.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
I remember once on the SFAM tour (or any of the earlier ones) James was sick and Portnoy's idea was to offer an instrumental show, and a refund for those not interested... but the promoter or whoever was in charge didn't like the idea and so the show was just cancelled.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline terrell39

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
Always wondered if that ever happened and if the fans were given a choice which they would choose but I guess the promoter made the choice for them...Bastard!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
It would be interesting but JLB is a big part of what makes DT what it is... if, for some reason, JLB cannot make it to one show and they had to play the show anyway, then I would be up for it.

This.  Otherwise no, JLB is just a big of a factor in DT as the rest of the guys and I want to hear vocals live.  I have no problem with a couple instrumentals in the set though, and honestly if the above scenario ever happened, I think it would be cool to experience, but in general my answer is no.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
Not as a Dream Theater show. At the same time I'd be infinitely more interested in seeing LTE, which is pretty much just the instrumental version.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pcs90

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
Not as a standard DT show. Also I tend to skip over some of them like SOC and TDOE...if they brought back all of those IW and Awake instrumental jams, then absolutely, but they could still do that with James because several were connected to songs (for example the extended guitar solo in To Live Forever).
LTE, however, would be amazing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I remember once on the SFAM tour (or any of the earlier ones) James was sick and Portnoy's idea was to offer an instrumental show, and a refund for those not interested... but the promoter or whoever was in charge didn't like the idea and so the show was just cancelled.
Correct, altho it was a Touring Into Infinity show in England. Actually the Rudess Morgenstein Project was opening for DT at the time, so MP had suggested that they do some instrumental DT stuff, along with some tracks from LTE, Platypus and a few others. Wish it would've happened as it would've been a very unique and very cool show! Stoooopid promoter didn't know what he was doing. Jerk.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
No.

Also...no.
But mainly, no.
And to add my thoughts to this, no.
I'm about to get banned or commit forum suicide by responding to all the big guns here, but  . . .  yes!

To be fair, it's a qualified yes because it really isn't practical but I really love their instrumentals and it would be awesome to see it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »

Offline CB

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
No... but a three hour show with one hour of instrumentals (but not in a row please) would be ok for me.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
No... but a three hour show with one hour of instrumentals (but not in a row please) would be ok for me.
I'm pretty sure if we took all the instrumental sections from the songs played on the DT12 tour there'd be about an hour of material there. I'm sure most tours are similar really.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
Exactly, a drinking game that, during a DT DVD, would go "Take a sip each time James leaves the stage" would have everyone stone cold drunk even before the intermission  :lol