Author Topic: Blink-182  (Read 6373 times)

SebastianPratesi

Blink-182
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »
Yes, I guess this will probably be the most laughed at thread/band in this forum. I loved and listened to a hell lot of Blink-182 from the ages of 11 to 14 (and at later stages in my life), and their songs/melodies are forever implanted in my head. The first time I ever entered a record store was to choose my 11th birthday present - their live, limited edition album. They are currently recording a new album, so I decided to start this thread, to get to know your opinions/experiences with the band, and if I may, to recommend some stuff.

Eventhough Enema Of The State sold many more millions of copies, the general consensus seems to be that their self-titled album (their 5th one, recorded/released in 2003) is their magnum opus. I certainly agree, although it took me 5 years to finally appreciate the album. The pop-punk dimension of the band is featured in just a few songs; instead, the guys opted to experiment with hip-hop, 80s alternative rock and electronic music. A lot of elements were added to the Blink palette, including drum loops and solos, 6-string bass, acoustic guitars, drop-D tunings, spoken word and samples, keys/synths, etc. Many guest musicians add their own colours to the album, including Robert Smith (who co-wrote and sings in a track) and Sick Jacken (a DJ who turned the end of a ballad into a hip-hop beat). Think of it as what Revolver is to Help!. So, if you are interested in giving the band a chance, I think this album is a great introduction.

Most of the tracks are worth noting for different reasons. Some segue into each other, or have an extended intro/outro. The finest examples would be "Easy Target/All Of This" (a 7 minute song, starting punky but turning into a mellow, Cure track) and "Stockholm Syndrome", whose intro consists of actress Joanne Whalley reciting a letter written during World War II. However, in my opinion, the track most representative of the album spirit is "I Miss You" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tAYmMjLdY). It was released as a single, so it's likely you have heard it on MTV or radio. It's so simple (acoustic instruments, a continuous drum-loop, some piano) yet so beautiful. Plus, both Mark and Tom sing, so you can hear both styles of the band's vocals.

The track, nonetheless, doesn't show how amazing a drummer Travis is (he's my favourite drummer), so I'd also recommend checking out "Not Now" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvcOuExmeJg), a b-side/extra track (and later a single). This one has some really fun/creative drum parts, which Travis so wonderfull executed and added to Blink's music since he joined the band. The original drummer had a simpler, less-adventurous style, so when you listen to Travis-era songs, you hear a difference. 1999's "Adam's Song" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRdtXWcgIw) is another great example of this. A more recent one: "Ghost On The Dancefloor" (my favourite song by the band).

Of course, most of their music is in the vein of good old pop-punk, like "A New Hope" (a lovesong to Princess Leia) and "Man Overboard" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u38TqU5rAyk). That was the sound/mood I fell in love with while still in elementary school - I didn't think there was anything more lovely. Dude Ranch is my favourite album in that style - it's just perfect from beginning to end. Some parts of The Astonishing (of course, living in a completely different universe) make me feel the same way as pop-punk; maybe that's why I like the album so much so far.

Anyway, I'd love to keep talking about solo projects and other related miscelanea, but I guess having recommended 8 songs and an album, this is a good moment to stop here for now and see what are the responses. :P

SebastianPratesi

Re: Blink-182
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »
Also, the only two Dream Theater connections I can think of:

• Andy Wallace, who mixed A Dramatic Turn Of Events, also has mixing credits on two of Blink's albums.
  • This 2011 clip of Mark's TV show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBSZ1Nn6B4). The panel talks about Rolling Stone's Top 10 Metal Bands. At 1:56, Sebastian Bach starts making a fool of himself :P It's a fun watch, though.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 11:57:32 PM »
Hi !
Blink is my wife's favorite band and she knows them as good as I know DT :)

You summed very well, their potential only went bigger and bigger, until the band exploded, and now records an album with a "guy" replacing tom...Should have called it +44 or another name maybe.

Pros :
Memorable songs, catchy chorus, some good surprises
Cons :
Lyrics are often lighter than the astonishing ones, only Travis is shining musically

Neighbourhood was impressive rythmwise !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Hi !
Blink is my wife's favorite band and she knows them as good as I know DT :)

You summed very well, their potential only went bigger and bigger, until the band exploded, and now records an album with a "guy" replacing tom...Should have called it +44 or another name maybe.

Pros :
Memorable songs, catchy chorus, some good surprises
Cons :
Lyrics are often lighter than the astonishing ones, only Travis is shining musically

Neighbourhood was impressive rythmwise !

Yeah, I think Travis is the only really good musician in the band. And I agree with most of what you said. Neighborhoods I used to love, now it's pretty 'meh' to me, but Travis saves a lot of the songs ("Snake Charmer", "Heart's All Gone"...).

Does your wife like Angels and Airwaves or +44? I like both bands' music, although the +44 album I love because of the Travis influence (the same with the Box Car Racer album).

Also: has she (or have you two) seen them play live? They've never come to South America, so I haven't had the chance. From the live videos I've watched, it seems Tom sounds awful.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »
I actually really love Blink. Grew up on them at the turn of the century. The run of Dude Ranch, Enema of the State, and Take off Your Pants and Jacket is amazing, and really gets better and better.

They lost me at the self-titled, though. I listened to it last night on my way to sleep, and it's just not for me. Woke up at some point to a woman reading poetry and I was like "WTF IS THIS?!" lol.

I also enjoyed BCR and absolutely LOVED the +44 record. If the new Blink album sounds like that I might pick it up. Still haven't heard Neighborhoods.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
I only really like " Take Off Your Pants and Jacket ".

Up til then they were too immature and after that album they were too mature.

I'm interested in them now that Matt Skiba is the frontman.

Tom Delonge's music sounded the same whatever band he was in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:32 AM »
Still haven't heard Neighborhoods.

It was ok i think. i only listened once. It was pitched somewhere between TOYP&J and Blink-182.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
I still listen to Enema of the State and Dude Ranch a couple times a year. I love their sound. But, I'm a pop punk kid at heart, so it's not surprising.

-Tof

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »
One of my favorite bands. Love everything they've done including side projects.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
The only thing I remember about this band is that they put Janine Lindemulder on the cover of one of their albums.  I am more familiar with her work than theirs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »
The only thing I remember about this band is that they put Janine Lindemulder on the cover of one of their albums.  I am more familiar with her work than theirs.

Lol! Me too.

Used to hang with guy who loved them, Not my cup of tea.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »

In all my years of watching that genre of film, I've never seen even one scene with her acting. I know there is some sort of ban for discussing this topic, but: was her work any good?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »
Still haven't heard Neighborhoods.

It was ok i think. i only listened once. It was pitched somewhere between TOYP&J and Blink-182.

That's a good way to think about it. Although, there are lots of keyboards throughout, and for some reason the guitars/bass on some songs are mixed low - they aren't as 'in your face' as those other records.

Still, OpenYourEyes, you should give it a go; "Heart's All Gone", "Kaleidoscope" and "MH 4.18.2011" are very +44-like (they feature Mark on lead vocals), and "Snake Charmer" is very Box Car Racer-like.

Their follow-up EP, Dogs Eating Dogs, is shorter and features the same styles as Neighborhoods (including the side-projects' influences), so you might want to give that one a go instead.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
New Blink music came out today - their first song with Matt Skiba on board. Album comes out in 2 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGipyel-3I

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
My daughter has been into Blink for awhile now. We have her copies of Enema of the State and Dude Ranch in the car as well as Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and the greatest hits CD. I like all of it.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Didn't realize I was excited for new Blink until I heard there was a song released today! I had no idea I even cared lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:44 AM »
Not bad. Reminds me of the 2nd half of Take Off Your Pants & Jacket. Specifically " One Good Reason " or something.

Still getting their money's worth from the i - v - vi - iv progression like their lives depend on it :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:57 AM »
That was quite catchy. I've kinda lost interest in Blink after Neighbourhoods, and wasn't aware that Tom DeLonge had, er, gone. (DeLonge gone? Must be a joke in there somewhere..  :biggrin:)

Anyway, what I noticed was the new guy has a pretty similar voice to Mark. One of the more interesting things about Blink-182 was the contrast of the two different voices, I thought.

Still, I may pick up the album when it comes out. I just hope the lyrics have matured a bit..  :lol

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
Holy shit just found out Blink- 182 is touring with All Time Low, All American Rejects, and A Day to Remember. I'm more excited about this announcement than hearing DT was touring, not gonna lie.

Definitely hitting at least two dates - Syracuse and Scranton.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:42 AM »
I never liked Tom DeGone's voice.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »
PS I tried to get my daughter to paint some Easter crafts with me, and this is what I ended up with:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 04:51:12 AM »

We were just discussing this as I put her on the school bus.. .we both think that he was what made Blink sound characteristically Blink-like, but neither of us considers it a deal breaker.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 04:58:49 AM »

We were just discussing this as I put her on the school bus.. .we both think that he was what made Blink sound characteristically Blink-like, but neither of us considers it a deal breaker.

Neither of them are great singers, TBH. I suppose they didn't need to be.

I suppose I always thought M sounded a bit more karaoke, and T had the more distinctive voice.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »
I only like Take Off Your Pants & Jacket and Mark sang lead vocals on most of my favourite songs on that album.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:18 AM »
Yeah, Pants and Enema are my favourite albums of theirs. Didn't really care for the self titled one, and Neighbourhoods was a bit of a step up from that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »

Not saying I'm right or anything (I'm very respectful of others' tastes) but for me it's exactly the opposite.  The only redeeming value of Blink is Tom DeLonge's voice.   I think the rest is generic and juvenile, and I can do without it.  Angels and Airwaves, on the other hand... brilliant.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
Take Off Your Pants is pitched about right for me.

Up til and including Enema they were a bit too childish and after Take Off Your Pants... they were too mature.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 08:00:42 AM »
Take Off Your Pants is pitched about right for me.

Up til and including Enema they were a bit too childish and after Take Off Your Pants... they were too mature.

Adam's Song and All The Small Things are the highlights of Enema for me. (They are probably the least-childish ones too.)

For some reason I think of them as sort of the musical equivalent of the American Pie movies..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
Now that Blink have been away for ages - they sound like all the bands that were inspired by them.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
Now that Blink have been away for ages - they sound like all the bands that were inspired by them.

And they're touring with at least one of them. But All Time Low doesn't actually sound that much like them I don't think. My kid is bigtime into pop-punk but I suck at pidgeon holing bands into their proper genres. Not sure if Sleeping with Sirens or Pierce the Veil, for example, are two who you would consider a Blink sound-alike. (But I actually love both bands after listening to every album a billion times with my kid and seeing both live a couple of times. I wouldn't have believed it back when I first joined dtnet.)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
Tom DeLonge is apparently working with high-level government officials on UFO-themed books: https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/tom-delonge-not-consumed-blink-182-departure-ufos-article-1.2617503
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
haha.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
Still getting their money's worth from the i - v - vi - iv progression like their lives depend on it :lol
Ha! :D

Didn't realize I was excited for new Blink until I heard there was a song released today! I had no idea I even cared lol
Good for you! I'm a big fan, and was waiting for new music, but this didn't blow my mind. That said, I was blown away by "Ghost On The Dancefloor" (my personal favourite), which doesn't seem to receive a lot of praise.

One of the more interesting things about Blink-182 was the contrast of the two different voices, I thought.

Still, I may pick up the album when it comes out. I just hope the lyrics have matured a bit..  :lol
Yeah, I agree on the 'vocal contrast' bit. I'll pick the album too - it will be my July purchase (because this year I started buying only one album a month).

I only like Take Off Your Pants & Jacket and Mark sang lead vocals on most of my favourite songs on that album.
I like all of their albums, but just like you, Mark's songs are my favourites on TOYPAJ. Especially "Online Songs", "Roller Coaster" & "Shut Up".

PS I tried to get my daughter to paint some Easter crafts with me, and this is what I ended up with:

Those look really cool! By the way, I'm curious about what age was your daughter when she started listening/liking Blink? I'm curious because I always read stuff about them being a band for teenagers, but I discovered them and started loving them when I was 10 (around the time of "Man Overboard"). I know their lyrics were directed towards teenagers (basically), but as far as the music goes, it always seemed obvious to me that their upbeat songs could be loved by younger kids (like me) as well.
On that note: what do both of you prefer listening to - their poppy, upbeat stuff ("Josie", "Feeling This") or the more serious songs ("Adam's Song", "I Miss You")?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
She's 13 and started listening to them this year. We listen to the albums straight through. I'm partial to the more upbeat songs (but then I'm a relatively new/casual fan)  but I'm not sure how she feels, I"ll have to ask her.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
Sorry but i cannot think of anything positive to say about blink 182.... heard their music and sounds like baby drool to me.... bands like this, coldplay, oasis etc... all sound the same to me...

As i am someone who listens to DT, Rainbow, Yes, Rush, Van Halen etc... thesr bands just do not make the cut
Solo Album in the making.....