Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23554 times)

Offline Tomislav95

So finally, I'm starting my own Top 50 thread. Firstly, for those who don't know me, I'm Tomislav(obviously) from Croatia, simple man, computing student, music, film and books lover. There were actually not many things that influenced my music taste, I found most of it on my own(with help of the Internet, of course). But my older sister used to like rock/metal so she somewhat exsposed me to bands like Iron Maiden, Iced Earth and Nevermore. Unfortunately, she is now listening to not so good music :lol My parents like rock but not many of those things I like (they mostly listen to Croatian music). I would say I influenced my family more than they did me in terms of music.

But enough about me. What You can expect to see on this list? This is my ultimate Top 50 but there are some albums I discovered last year or so. Reason why I'm making this thread is the fact I love lists and also I hope to show some of you bands you might like. Also, since I'm in college, this is the only place where I frequently use English so this is chance to use it some more (excuse me if my English is bad :) ).
Most of the albums on this list are classics but there are some you might not be familiar with. I was thinking about having a number of albums by artist limit but I didn't have a heart to exclude some of the albums :P
Here's pie chart with albums by decade for some spoilers :P (idea shamelessly stolen from Evermind)

What I learnt from making list is how hard it is. It was really hard not to include some of the albums but I had to because there were over 50 albums I liked more.
I'll probably start with honorable mentions today. There will be some albums I didn't want to include for some reason(EPs) and those I love so much but I disconnected from them lately. Hope you'll enjoy my list :)

#50: Katatonia - Dead End Kings/Last Fair Deal Gone Down
#49: Blackfield - Blackfield II
#48: The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
#47: Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
#46: Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunders Roar
#45: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing(and other stories)
#44: Camel - Mirage
#43: Tool - 10,000 Days
#42: Dire Straits - Making Movies
#41: Wishbone Ash - Argus
#40: Tool - Ænima
#39: Death - Symbolic
#38: Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun
#37: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
#36: Rush - A Farewell to Kings
#35: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
#34: Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow/Rising
#33: Riverside - Out of Myself
#32: King Crimson - Red
#31: Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
#30: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
#29: Opeth - Damnation
#28: Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
#27: Anathema - Weather Systems
#26: Rush - Grace Under Pressure
#25: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
#24: Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
#23: Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
#22: The Who - Quadrophenia
#21: Opeth - Blackwater Park
#20: Metallica - ...And Justice for All
#19: Dream Theater - Awake
#18: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
#17: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
#16: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
#15: Opeth - Ghost Reveries
#14: Fates Warning - Parallels
#13: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of the Seventh Son
#12: Rush - 2112/Permanent Waves
#11: Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
#10: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
#9: Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
#8: Dream Theater - Images and Words
#7: Kansas - Leftoverture
#6: Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
#5: Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
#4: King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
#3: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
#2: Mastodon - Crack the Skye
#1: Dream Theater - Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:35:08 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:24:02 AM »
Following.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:29:02 AM »
The 2000's obviously have more representation, but it's still a fairly good mix of the decades. I'll follow this aswell.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - honorable mentions: two EPs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:57:58 AM »
Let's start with two honorable mentions:

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes(2012)

Black/folk metal

This is Agalloch's newest EP which contains only one song, over 21-minute long Faustian Echoes. It was hard for me not include this EP because this song is one of my favorite songs ever. Agalloch is one of those band who can incorporate shrieking vocals, tremolo picking, blast-beats, acoustic and atmospheric parts in one song and you can bet they make it sound great. I'm not the biggest fan of black metal but it works for me when there are good melodies. Also, it contains samples from movie Faust and lyrics are taken from Goethe's Faust.
What more can I say, if you like folky black metal with progressive elements, you'll like this.
Faustian Echoes

Daughter - The Wild Youth(2011)

Indie Pop

This is little different than Agalloch :lol
The Wild Youth is short but sweet record, only under 19 minutes long, has 4 perfect songs. If you ever heard of Daughter, you probably heard song Youth which is on this EP and on their first LP If You Leave, as well.
What I love about this record? Well, it's simple but atmospheric record and that's sometimes all I need. For me, highlight of this EP and this band is vocalist Elena Tonra. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful and it really matches the whole melancholic atmosphere of their music. If I had to describe it with just one word I would simply say: beautiful.
Recommended song: Medicine

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
The Daughter song was pretty chill, I liked it.

Agalloch I heard one song from, really liked it, but I think 20 minutes of it will be a little too overwhelming for me. I'm still not completely used to those black metal growls and probably won't for quite a while.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
Don't know either of these albums, but I'll be following.

I've checked something from Agalloch and I remember thinking it would've been nice if they only had acoustic sections. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
The Daughter song was pretty chill, I liked it.
I think you'd like whole EP then.

Don't know either of these albums, but I'll be following.

I've checked something from Agalloch and I remember thinking it would've been nice if they only had acoustic sections. :lol
Actually, they have The White EP (it's over 30 minutes) which is all acoustic. Check it out, it's awesome :tup (damn, now I can't send it in roulette  :-X)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »
Why? Agalloch isn't banned and I won't check out new music until roulette is over, so everything I don't know is fair game.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:17:54 AM »
I can't get into agalloch, honestly. But will follow this.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
Why? Agalloch isn't banned and I won't check out new music until roulette is over, so everything I don't know is fair game.
Just kidding. If I had intention od sending it I wouldn't mention it here :P and it would kinda suck if I sent a band you could only listen one EP of.
I can't get into agalloch, honestly. But will follow this.
I think there will be some bands you like :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
I'm only familiar with some Agalloch, but not this EP. Still following, though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
Two more honorable mentions. Tomorrow I'm starting with the actual list!

Ensiferum - Ensiferum(2001)

Melodic/Folk Death Metal

If you're into melodic or power metal, there's big chance you heard Ensiferum. They are band from Finland and they play mix of folk and melodic death metal with "viking" image. Big majority(if not all the songs) have fantasy lyrics with influence in Norse mythology.
This particular album is my favorite of theirs. I'm not into this kind of music that much anymore but every time I want some melodic death metal I spin this album. And what I love about this album(and this band) is how through simplicity they achieve epicness. There are not many instrument nor is keyboard heavily used but it sounds really epic(there is no other word). It's full of great riffs, harmonies and both growls and clean vocals. Some of you might recognize Jari Mäenpää from Wintersun, he was guitarist, vocalist and main songwriter on this(and next Ensiferum's album).
Recommended songs: Token of Time, Old Man, Treacherous Gods

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia(2000)

Blues Rock

Ah, Mark Knopfler :) He is one of my favorite , if not the favorite, guitarist ever. There is something in his style that makes me want to listen to his music all the time(if I'm not in the mood for something heavier). I'm not familiar with all of his solo albums but I think this one is the most similar to Dire Straits. Still, Sailing to Philadelphia is more bluesy, even country-sounding than anything he's with Dire Straits but there are some pretty rocking tunes. What is the same is Mark's signature finger-picking style. And it's wonderful as always. I have to stay backing band is spot on and I have to give props to Van Morrison in The Last Laugh. That man can sing :) Reason why this isn't in the Top 50 is that I feel album is little too long and it can get boring at the end.
Recommended songs: What It Is?, The Last Laugh, Speedway at Nazareth

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - honorable mentions: two more
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
I would pick either Iron or From Afar by Ensiferum, but this album is alright too.

And oh damn, I forgot it's you who likes Mark Knopfler a lot! I can't say this album is among my favourites (I prefer his later stuff starting from Kill to Get Crimson and onwards), but any of his albums appearance earns a big fat yes from me. :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I would pick either Iron or From Afar by Ensiferum, but this album is alright too.

And oh damn, I forgot it's you who likes Mark Knopfler a lot! I can't say this album is among my favourites (I prefer his later stuff starting from Kill to Get Crimson and onwards), but any of his albums appearance earns a big fat yes from me. :tup
I'm also familiar with Golden Heart, Privateering, Tracker but Sailing to Philadelphia is still my favorite. There are many of his songs I love but albums are not that consistent IMO. On the other hand, there is Dire Straits... :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
Ooooh Ensiferum! I personally love Iron most, but most of their albums range from good to great (except for Unsung Heroes, which was pretty disappointing except for like, two songs), and I'm always glad to see them mentioned. "Token of Time" is one of my favourite songs of theirs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
Ooooh Ensiferum! I personally love Iron most, but most of their albums range from good to great (except for Unsung Heroes, which was pretty disappointing except for like, two songs), and I'm always glad to see them mentioned. "Token of Time" is one of my favourite songs of theirs.
To me, Unsung Heroes is good(but has some bad song). I saw them on supporting tour for Unsung Heroes and they played all songs I liked(except for Pohjola). I have a chance to see them in April but I didn't yet get into their newest, One Man Army. It's sounds generic when compared to older albums :/

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
Faustian Echoes is pretty consistent as a song I'd say. Probably not my favorite thing Agalloch's ever put out, but pretty solid.

Will follow. :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #50."... I need a sound of rain... "
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »
#50: Katatonia - Dead End Kings(2012)

Doom/progressive rock

I remember listening to this for the first time and thinking it sounds like one song over and over. Nothing sticked out and I felt bored with it. But it grew on me. A lot. In one hand it is similar to older albums by Katatonia but on the other hand it's more technical and instruments oriented than anything they did. If you play it from beginning you'll immediately notice strings. I can't remember if Katatonia used them before and if they did, they never used it in this context. It really adds another layer to their core sound. Next cool thing is additional vocalist on The One You Are Looking for. She is Silje Wergeland, singer from The Gathering. Contrast between her and Jonas' vocals are something I'd like to hear in some other songs. I can't skip next two songs, heartaching Hypnone and The Racing Heart. Both of those sounds perfectly dreadful. If you like that kind of sad songs, this is for you. Another songs I have strong feelings for is Undo You. There is part where heavy breathing is recorded underneath lyrics: "Breathing lifeless, not afraid to die. Breathing lifeless, you're afraid not to live". Damn, Katatonia. It's unreal how easily they combine depressing and beautiful. There is also Lethean, little heavier than anything else. It has cool atmospheric riff, great drumming and catchy chorus(if you can imagine melancholy to be catchy :lol). Also, I don't know if it's because I discovered them after rest of the album but I consider bonus tracks, Second and The Act of Darkening(Porcupine Tree fans might like this one), to be among highlights of album.
With Dead End Kings, Katatonia stayed true to their roots but made it more progressive and modern sounding. I hope their next will be in vein of Dead End Kings. Special props to vocalist Jonas Renkse, he sounds better than ever. This might have been higher on my list but I feel I could do without some songs. And also, two bonus songs are better than a half of the album.
Recommended songs: The Racing Heart, Hypnone, Lethean

#50: Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down(2001)

Doom rock

I haven't even started with my list and I'm already cheating :lol (there will be two more ties so this is actually Top 53)
If Dead End Kings is very depressive kind of sad this one is more spooky melancholic type of sad(if you understand what I want to say :P ). This was always reminding me of game Silent Hill. It's melancholic and disturbing like SH and artwork is also on that side. Overall sound of album is reverb-y and it sounds like everything is far from listener. Usually I wouldn't like such production but here it works very well and matches the atmosphere of album. Dispossession is song which opens the albums with kickass melodic guitar solo. Awesome tune. Next song is Chrome which is actually one of the songs that got me into Katatonia. It got great melodies and I'm sucker for those. However, there are some "weird" songs which are not so good on its own but work better in context of the album. Other more awesome tunes are Teargas, I Transpire but one that recently became favorite of mine is The Future of Speech. It's pretty unique and different from other songs on the album, it's stick to me because of great vocal melodies.
So, if you like melancholic spooky atmosphere, melodic solos you should check this. From my writeup it could seem I don't like it as much as Dead End Kings but I actually couldn't decide which one I liked more. While Dead End Kings have better production and is more progressive, Last Fair Deal Gone Down have perfect doom atmosphere and cooler solos.
Recommended songs: Chrome, Teargas, The Future of Speech
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:59:57 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
both at #50?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
both at #50?
Yes, it's actually Top 53 list :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
I don't have all the time in the world goddamnit Tomislav, another album on your list that interests me to the point where I want to check it out, The Racing Heart sounds very cool. And I guess since both albums are from the same artists I will end up having to check out both.

At this point I should just create one of those spreadsheets Sacul has, my list is becoming huge.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #50."...I need a sound of rain..."
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
The start of this list is quite intriguing since I've heard almost everything featured so far (caught Faustian Echoes live, in fact). I'm not that big on Katatonia though.

Following :)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
At this point I should just create one of those spreadsheets Sacul has, my list is becoming huge.
It just gets bigger and bigger, my friend ;)

Offline Tomislav95

#49: Blackfield - Blackfield II(2007)

Progressive rock/Pop-rock

Another gloomy album on this list. Get used to it :lol
Blackfield is collaboration project between Steven Wilson and Aviv Geffen. Those two really know how to make catchy and sad tunes. But unlike anything else that's catchy(like pop) this didn't bore me too soon. I probably listened to this album more times than some of the albums higher on the list but that's just because this album was perfect for me in last two years. It strange but is seems I like to feed my bad mood with songs like these :P First song, Once, is still among my favorites after x times I heard it. Great rocking song with interesting instrumentation. Those repetitive drum patterns really add something cool to the song and chorus is really catchy(as most on this album). I don't know about the others but song This Killer is for me one of the best songs Steven ever did. Isn't it something? Beautifuly sad. Another similar song, a maybe little cringey, is The Gift of Silence. But I love it as it is, despite lyrics(„...Don't hate yourself... “), and it is one of the representative Blackfield songs(if you didn't yet hear them). To sum up, all songs are at least good (some are better than other) but I can't listen to this album anytime, I have to be in the mood for it so that's the reason why it's not higher.
Recommended songs: Once, This Killer, My Gift of Silence

#48: The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky(1982)

Progressive rock

I have to say I'm not really really a fan of this band/project but I love this album. There is big chance you heard of Alan Parsons in context of audio engineering and producing on classic albums such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side od the Moon. And while some of his other albums are oriented towards art rock, this one is really mixed bag of everything. And I love it for it. Eye in the Sky(the song) is for me sound of '80s rock. I didn't live in '80s (obviously) but this song remind me of '80s music. Some may say it's little cheesy and I'll probably agree. However, it's really emotional and catchy song. Keyboards are also big part of this album. Usually I don't like them in this kind of rock but here they work really well. There are few vocalist on Eye in the Sky. Of course, there is great Eric Woolfson on title track and melancholic Silence and I. But my favorite vocalist on this album is Lenny Zakatek. He is singing on faster paced, funky songs You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned and Step by Step. Fans of funk might also like song Psychobabble. Last song of the album is Old and Wise, heavily orchestrated melancholic piece. It really makes me think of transience of life. But there're no bad song on this albums.
Eye in the Sky made appearance on my list practically at last moment. I heard it long ago and now wherever I want something easy to listen and catchy I spin this. So I thought to myself: why not to include it?
Recommended songs: Sirius/Eye in the Sky, You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned, Old and Wise

#47: Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms(1985)

Classic rock

Here's for most well known album by British rock group Dire Straits. It's one of the most successful and best-selling rock albums ever. As you probably know, main songwriter of Dire Straits is Mark Knopfler whose album was among my honorable mentions so I won't waste words to say why I love Mark's playing.
I think with this album Mark Knopfler set the base for his solo work, it's more bluesy than some previous works and that's surely big plus in my book. Brothers in Arms is iconic albums in more ways. It contains one of the most recognizable riff in rock history, Money for Nothing. Also, there is catchy Walk of Life which is also among fan favorites. Next, saxophone melody in Your Latest Trick is well known, too. But as I said, bluesy side of this album is what I adore. I mean, title track is definitely one of my favorite songs of all time. From guitar tone, to lyrics, to solo – everything is perfect. Sometimes when I'm bored, I sit with my guitar and play intro to Brothers in Arms but it never sounds as good as when Mark plays it. It shows how great songwriter he is. Such a simple guitar part but hard to phrase perfectly. Song that grew on me the most is One World. Not really similar to any other song in their catalogue, with kinda funky-rock feel, it's unique. I've been listening to Dire Straits since I got in rock but this album as a whole clicked with me just recently.
Recommended songs: Brothers in Arms, One World

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Brothers in Arms is fantastic, this album also made my Top 50. I think I ranked it #44 or something like that.

Blackfield is one of SW projects I don't care about.

And hey, Alan Parsons Project! The very one I've just eliminated Splent for. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Hey, look, something I do know for the first time here  :lol I like Brothers In Arms, and I'm probably crazy for this, but I prefer self-titled and that's still my favorite Dire Straits album (almost made my top 50/HM's too).

The title track is undeniably great, though I don't seem to enjoy it as much as most. Telegraph Road I believe is Evermind's favorite and I can't argue with that, it's fucking amazing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The title track is undeniably great, though I don't seem to enjoy it as much as most. Telegraph Road I believe is Evermind's favorite and I can't argue with that, it's fucking amazing.

Yes, but Telegraph Road is from another album, Love Over Gold, which is my #3 album of all time. Well, it was #2 when I made my list, but now The Human Equation occupies that spot.

Offline Tomislav95

Brothers in Arms is fantastic, this album also made my Top 50. I think I ranked it #44 or something like that.

And hey, Alan Parsons Project! The very one I've just eliminated Splent for. :lol
Actually, I wanted to send you their song in one of the rounds. But I'm not too sure now :lol Splent's choice wouldn't be mine, I think you'd like mine better.
Hey, look, something I do know for the first time here  :lol I like Brothers In Arms, and I'm probably crazy for this, but I prefer self-titled and that's still my favorite Dire Straits album (almost made my top 50/HM's too).

Telegraph Road is also among my all time favorite songs but sadly it's the only song from Love Over Gold which I like :/

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I have that Alan Parsons album; I like it a lot, though I've never really checked out much of their other material.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
No love for It Never Rains or title track? Not even Private Investigations?

You're a weird Dire Straits fan. :P

Offline Tomislav95

No love for It Never Rains or title track? Not even Private Investigations?

You're a weird Dire Straits fan. :P
Private Investigation is good. But I can't get into that album :/ I should check it again soon.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
We can't be friends  :'(

Offline Mladen

That's one legendary Dire Straits album.  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i really like the title track but when i listened to the album most of the other tracks didn't do much for me

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I still need to properly check out Dire Straits. I know I like them, just never gone as far as getting an album.