Author Topic: 2016-5-03 Paris Show - Le Palais des Congrès  (Read 5067 times)

Offline CharlieT1000

2016-5-03 Paris Show - Le Palais des Congrès
« on: February 18, 2016, 04:29:00 AM »
Hello all! I´ve been a fan since 1992 and will be in Paris for the weekend to catch the Astonishing show on the 5th! :metal It will be my first time in Paris and would like to know if any meetups are planned. If not, lets meet up! I am originally from Houston but now reside in Seville, Spain. Looking forward to the show, being in Paris, and possibly hanging with some passionate DT peeps!!!

(Please forgive me in advance for any first post errors :hefdaddy)
To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain

Offline the keyboard wizard

Re: 2016-5-03 Paris Show - Le Palais des Congrès
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
Hi, Charlie, I'm an admin and a staff member of Your Majesty, the official French fan club. If you have any questions regarding the show, the city, the venue, please contact me.
As for now, no meetups are planned but we're trying to do something. As we are working in close collaboration with the French label, we might be able to sort something out.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline CharlieT1000

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »
Thank you Wizard! I´ll keep a look out for any meetup developments and get in contact if I have any questions!
To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Really looking forward to the show tomorrow. I will interview JP and JR during 30min. I have to admit I'm a little bit stressed :D And I will attend the aftershow along with my friends from the staff of the French Fan Club (thanks to the awesome guy named Noxon).
Don't worry, a full review will be posted in English in the days after the gig.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
Awesome day, awesome band, awesome interview, awesome aftershow with awesome friends. More to come in the new days.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Good to hear!

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 02:06:20 AM »
No Paris reviews.?

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:45:40 AM »
Hey, give just time ;) I'm very busy right now and my review will cover the interview, the show and the aftershow, so it's pretty big ;) But don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
2016-06-03 Paris Show at the palais du congres
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »
It seems there are not many french who post at this forum,
at least I didn't find something about the sunday concert in paris.
I did take the train from frankfurt to paris to have a long weekend with culture, shopping and of course dt with my fiance.
after a nice lunch we spent some time in the hotelroom ;D before going to the concert before going to the concert which was supposed to be at 7 pm.
at 5.30 I checked my mails and there was a mail from this fucking songkick where I ordered the tickets, which said: we are sorry that we send you wrong informations, the concerts starts 6 pm.
We tried to get as fast as possible to the hall, came there by 6.30 and the concert did allready start 20 minutes ago.
I was really pissed, on the tickets we did get at the entrance was the right time printed.
There where many people late( i think mostly the ones with online orders.
In the end it was agreat concert,
James struggled a little bit, but overall really good.
Since I normally stand in the first two rows it was at first strange to sit,
but for this concert it felt right in the end, I concentrated more on the whole story and concept.
The best of all, my fiance, which allways laughed at me(you and your strange dream theater) really digged it.
The most she was impressed by mike mangini, and I have to say she is right, he is all over it.
So I am looking forward to the concert at the 15th in frankfurt,
that time I will be in time :tup :tup, and if you believe it or not, my renata will go too for a second time, she wants to see the beginning too :heart :hefdaddy.
One feally unexpected new dt fan won.
Carpe diem baby

Re: 2016-06-03 Paris Show at the palais du congres
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
I posted on the Saturday show thread as I didn't want to create a new one. Maybe the moderators could merge the two subjects and rename the Saturday show thread.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
Re: 2016-06-03 Paris Show at the palais du congres
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
OK, I didn't see that, good idea :tup
Carpe diem baby

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »
Cool..i meant in general i thought there would be more..did you post one elsewhere in the concert area?

Offline Panos_Ytsejam

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »
im from greece. i was there at saturday. this was my 8th time on a dt concert and i have to say this was by far the best. the best because the show was awesome, with all those video staff and lights. the venue was out of mind. great view, great sound. best ever. lucky you guys in Paris. the band was a little static because of the stage show but this was ok for me. JLB was the mvp of course. he sing so many thinks and characters in the ultimate way. awesome!!

I was on Paris for the second time since 2010. I choose this city to went, because that happen on previous months (terrorist attacks etc). also choose it because i love the French culture and French ppl so much. After the shock i can tell that France is doing well!! and i love it so much!! Love you France, i will return because after so many dt concerts i realise that Paris is the second home for dt after NY.!!

HUGS AND LOVE!!!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
im from greece. i was there at saturday. this was my 8th time on a dt concert and i have to say this was by far the best. the best because the show was awesome, with all those video staff and lights. the venue was out of mind. great view, great sound. best ever. lucky you guys in Paris. the band was a little static because of the stage show but this was ok for me. JLB was the mvp of course. he sing so many thinks and characters in the ultimate way. awesome!!
HUGS AND LOVE!!!

Γεια σου! Πώς είσαι ;
 :tup

Offline Panos_Ytsejam

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »
Καλημέρα είμαι καλά.  :tup

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:09 AM »
Καλημέρα είμαι καλά.  :tup
Great!
My grandmother is Greek (and my grandfather is son of Greeks) so a few years ago I decided to learn a little bit of vocabulary, the alphabet obviously (I teach math, so I need to know the names of the letters).
You have some of the nicest music and food (σουβλάκια, παστίτσιο, χοριάτικι σαλάτα) I've ever eaten. My grandma's παστίτσιο is my favourite food ever.
I've only visited Greece (Athens in particular) once, 2 years ago, but I'd go back just for some more σουβλάκια  :hefdaddy

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
I choose this city to went, because that happen on previous months (terrorist attacks etc). also choose it because i love the French culture and French ppl so much. After the shock i can tell that France is doing well!! and i love it so much!! Love you France, i will return because after so many dt concerts i realise that Paris is the second home for dt after NY.!!

HUGS AND LOVE!!!
We love you too, thanks !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
I know it's been more than a week since the concert but here's my review of my amazing day (sorry about the mistakes but it's late ;) )

The conditions were excellent: car park on the spot, a 30min drive from my home so I decided to go by car. It was my first time driving in this big city so it was a bit stressful. So I left at 2PM and with just small traffic jam on the ring road, I arrive at 2:40PM. I met the two guys with whom I would do the interview to review the questions, talk about the order we would ask the question. Preparing an interview is really hard because you need a clear organization (did I fail to mention that we got to interview John and Jordan during 30 minutes? :D )
At 3:20PM we decided to check for the stage door. As we didn't know where to go, we follow three other guys who were as lost as we were. Those guys happened to be John Myung, James LaBrie and Mike Mangini :D So I think they took us for stalkers who wanted to follow them but it wasn't the case, we were just looking for the same thing.
The interview was done in Jordan and John's room (as there was a Casio piano, the one you can see in the video of Wish You Were Here) and they proposed us some refreshments. The interview was really cool even if I was a bit stressed. Anyway, they were really down to earth and we had a few laughs. I'm sure you will see the result of the interview on DT World's website but it's already published on Your Majesty's website (but it's in French)
After that we spent some time chatting with friends at the Palais des Congrès and we waited for the opening of the doors. I had to get my two tickets and the aftershow passes (yes, Noxon arranged us aftershow passes for the staff members). Two tickets because I had bought one a few months ago and I had won another one in a contest (I thought it would be cool to have a spare ticket and to get it won by one of the fan club member). What a surprise when I saw that the ticket I had won was a really good seat (I had the mixing console behind me and was at the center, perfect for sight and sound).
6:10PM the show starts: the sound is perfect (we could really hear all the instruments) but I needed earplugs (the volume was really loud). It's really nice to have comfy conditions for a metal concert: we could keep our bottles, we had plenty of space for our legs and especially no cellphones and no guy spending their time taking pictures and obstructing the view.
The band was on fire (literally as Mike said that Jordan's stand was a bit on fire due to a stage light and Mike was yelling that the keyboard was on fire but the technicians thought that Jordan was really good and not that the keyboard was actually on fire) even if James struggled sometimes (at the beginning of Losing Faythe). I thought the stage projections were nicely done and as I knew the story well, I appreciated the fact that elements of the story were highlighted by the screen projections. But I know that a huge part of the French audience wanted to have a better explanation of the story with those projections.
8:50PM end of the show but that was not the end. We waited near the stage with our aftershow passes and we were led to a big room (catering room I suppose as there were large tables and some food on them). We waited a few minutes before John P arrived. Then Jordan arrived and the two of them spent some time with people they already knew so WE (the fan club staff) waited a few more minutes before being able to talk with Jordan and John (Mike had arrived meanwhile). They were all nice and signed everything (we had printed things to be signed by them and then to be won by our forum members) and took pictures. Mike signed and took pictures but was a bit in a hurry as he had a hard time on stage (his earphones were too high at the beginning so for about the first quarter of the show he was nearly deaf and had to play with one hand Dystopian Overture while trying to fix his earphones). But he said he would talk to John Myung as the latter was not aware of the aftershow. James and John Myung were the last to come. Myung is a real ghost and he is so impressive: he doesn't talk, he doesn't smile, he doesn't walk: he floats. Jordan was really accessible and was the last to leave, joking and taking care of everyone in the room. I got to sign my tourbook (really nice book), a picture I took with the band in 2009 (so I didn't make it sign by Mangini of course and when Jordan saw the picture, I pointed at Mike Portnoy and said "who's this guy" and just laughed) and the French translation of the lyrics I did in the style of a stage play.
End of the aftershow 10:20PM. So I got home at 11PM which was really nice especially when you have to work the next morning but it was really hard to sleep as my head was full of great memory. One of the nicest day in my life and an experience by far better than the paid Meet and Greet where you have no time to chat and to actually "meet and greet" the band.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
Cool review! Seems like it was a great experience.

A couple of questions:
... It was my first time driving in this big city so it was a bit stressful...

... Mike was yelling that the keyboard was on fire...

... (Mike's) earphones were too high at the beginning so for about the first quarter of the show he was nearly deaf and had to play with one hand Dystopian Overture while trying to fix his earphones...
1. What city do you live in?

2. During the show? How/when did they turn it off?

3. Wow, so impressive! Did he comment on it? (I remember seeing a video when they were playing "Outcry" 4 years ago, and the in-ears swtiched off. After they completed the song, John Petrucci commented on it onstage, praising the powers of "Practice, Practice, Practice").

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
1. I live in a rather big city (80 000 inhabitants) 20km from Paris but I had never driven on the ring road which demands a certain style of driving (the traffic is chaotic sometimes), you need to react quickly if you want to take the exit...
2. I cannot answer that as it was reported to me by a guy who was at the same aftershow, so I didn't ask Mangini myself. Same answer for question 3

Here is the interview in English guys : https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/03/15/john-petrucci-jordan-rudess-we-know-this-album-would-appeal-to-the-more-progressive-minded-fans/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:34:26 AM by the keyboard wizard »

Offline TK

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 07:16:58 AM »
Very nice interview. Really informative. Well done!