Author Topic: The "Lie" Appreciation Thread  (Read 2096 times)

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
The "Lie" Appreciation Thread
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
Well, what do you think of Lie?
Personally, I like it very very much and I find it one of the best "under 10 minutes" Dream Theater song, Dream Theater has created. This song has two exceptional guitar solo's and the guitar solo is like the main: "Hook, line, sinker."
The first guitar solo is epic, but once it goes to the end, it just blows me away. I find myself shaking a bit too uncontrollably after Lie's second solo.
What is your opinion on Lie?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: The "Lie" Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:19:44 PM »
It's probably my favorite DT "thrash" song, or the closest they've ever come to the Metallica sound, anyway. I don't know why it gets so little attention on the forum...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
I don't know why it gets so little attention on the forum...

Because Awake is filled with nothing but great songs, and as is often the case with albums that are awesome from start to finish, the least popular ones often get overlooked a touch.  I think that is what happens here.

But yeah, great tune, one of DT's heaviest to date.  Everything about it is great - main riff, chorus, solos, lyrics, Mirror reprise, etc. :metal :metal

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:50:05 PM »
I know this won't be a majority opinion, but I'm sure there are at least a few people around here who like this song more than CiaW, The Mirror or LSoaD.
I really don't care for any of those songs, and I think lie is at least close to being every bit as good as the rest of Awake.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Bitchin' tune, all the way around.

Offline RJ86

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
Bitchin' tune, all the way around.
Yep.. Bitchin' tune, bitchin' album. My personal favorite DT album, still to this day. The only questionable song on the whole album was Innocence Faded. But, you know that part "Callow and Vain..." is coming up, and the anticipation make you forgive the almost "hair band" sound of the song  ;D
Seriously, though, I have to agree that it gets lost in the crowd of the nearly "perfect" album. I loved WDADU. Then cam I&W... I love the songs (most of them), but always felt like James was stretching to sing songs written for some one else. It was Awake that it felt like the band as a whole hit the ground running. By far and away their absolute best beginning to end. Every other album I can find songs I will skip over.  But, as always, my personal opinion..  :tup

Offline Volante99

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »
Passable metal song in my opinion and the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

BUT, Petrucci saves the day with an outro solo that's so intense and shredtastic, it rivals anything that Dime or Friedman did at their best.

The tone is blistering and the fretboard sounds like it's about ready to catch fire.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »
I first heard "Lie" late at night on MTV around 2007, when I had just become a fan. It was the first of the 90s songs by the band that I ever heard. Later, I listened to it on Greatest Hit. Didn't think much of it, although I really like the instrumental bit starting at 3:41.

Then, in 2014 I bought all of the 90s albums to get to know them better. That's how I finally heard the full version. I still don't enjoy the song much, though I like the reprise of "The Mirror" keyboard line towards the end.

From that album I prefer most other songs, particularly "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" (I like The Cure a lot, and this songs reminds me of their music).

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
I'm not going to lie. While it's really not my favorite song from Awake, it's still a pretty good one.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
Yeah. Only some parts confuse me.

"Mother Mary quite contrary, kiss the boys.... I can still breathe."

"I wanna talk about your lifelong mistakes....stepfather I said so."

Yeah, the lyrics were pretty confusing.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
The main keyboard melody sounds really cool just because of how weird it is, at least to me. And JP  plays some great stuff.
Lyrically it's a bit odd as mentioned, but that's ok.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »
Yeah. Only some parts confuse me.

"Mother Mary quite contrary, kiss the boys.... I can still breathe."

"I wanna talk about your lifelong mistakes....stepfather I said so."

Yeah, the lyrics were pretty confusing.

They seem to be quite clearly about a profoundly shitty relationship. The last line is an artful way of telling a woman she has daddy issues, one of the nuclear weapons of insult if you mean it seriously.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
F****** love it! Probably my fave off Awake. The Mirror reprise just before the solo (and that solo!) kills me every time.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:16:11 AM »
From that album I prefer most other songs, particularly "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" (I like The Cure a lot, and this songs reminds me of their music).

Omg, I hadn't actually picked up on that, but you are right, LSoaD has just the right atmosphere for a Cure album. Love The Cure...

Lie is a stunning track, worthy of high praise. It's placement toward the end of the album means it may get slightly overlooked due to some of the gems earlier in the disc, and it follows the already heavy The Mirror and precedes the epic Scarred and the acquired taste classic Space-Dye Vest, as well as the track above..... There is a lot of competition on that album. If they'd rolled it over and put it on 'Falling Into Infinity' it might have a much higher profile, but why take anything away from 'Awake'?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 04:18:05 AM »

Omg, I hadn't actually picked up on that, but you are right, LSoaD has just the right atmosphere for a Cure album. Love The Cure...

Lie is a stunning track, worthy of high praise. It's placement toward the end of the album means it may get slightly overlooked due to some of the gems earlier in the disc, and it follows the already heavy The Mirror and precedes the epic Scarred and the acquired taste classic Space-Dye Vest, as well as the track above..... There is a lot of competition on that album. If they'd rolled it over and put it on 'Falling Into Infinity' it might have a much higher profile, but why take anything away from 'Awake'?

I love you now (not as much as i love Awake but still....)! :rollin :rollin :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Passable metal song in my opinion and the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

BUT, Petrucci saves the day with an outro solo that's so intense and shredtastic, it rivals anything that Dime or Friedman did at their best.

The tone is blistering and the fretboard sounds like it's about ready to catch fire.

Yeah. HATE the keyboards on this one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 08:36:06 AM »
Great song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »
I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this song? Because it's fantastic!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »
Lie is awesome. Just a great metal song. Gotta love the video with them cool shades as well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
That outro solo is one of Petrucci's best, and all in all it's just an amazing song.

Damn, I really have to listen to Awake again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »
Lie is awesome. Just a great metal song. Gotta love the video with them cool shades as well.
Definitely. Labrie is so bad ass

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
Well, what do you think of Lie?
Personally, I like it very very much and I find it one of the best "under 10 minutes" Dream Theater song, Dream Theater has created. This song has two exceptional guitar solo's and the guitar solo is like the main: "Hook, line, sinker."
The first guitar solo is epic, but once it goes to the end, it just blows me away. I find myself shaking a bit too uncontrollably after Lie's second solo.
What is your opinion on Lie?

I love it.

It was the song that got me into Dream Theater back in 94 when it was a single.  I heard it on the radio back in the day when it was released and thought that it sounded pretty awesome.  For some reason JLB reminded me a little of Bruce Dickinson.  The DJ didn't announce who the band was so I didn;t know who it was.  I remember thinking "of course the DJ didn't announce the band...typical" because I really wanted to know who they were.

A week later I heard it again and they actually mentioned the name of the band this time.  I had my mom take me to the Record store and I bought my first Dream Theater CD (Awake)

I played the CD loudly in the house and my dad came home during Scarred and thought it sounded good.  He became a fan also.  His favorite band is Yes.

A few weeks later when I bought Images and Words I realized that I had heard part of Pull Me Under before.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
It's a really, really good song.

However, I don't normally think of it that way because it is on Awake, which is a stellar album filled with songs that I like even better than Lie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »

Probably the best DT video. JP playing the solo on a moving car is so rad.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 02:06:27 PM »
Lie is great.  Awake is great.  The good ole days were actually great.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
Yes.  But so are the good new days.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
'Lie' is excellent, along with every other song on Awake. It's even better when you're entering the track coming from that heavy half-time outro of 'The Mirror'. That transition gets me pumped every time.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
Probably my favorite track from this record along with Scarred.  :metal