Author Topic: Term Limits  (Read 319 times)

Offline kaos2900

Term Limits
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
I think it's time that the term limits for Congressman, Senators, and the President are looked at. With how inefficient the government and the majority of politicians are I think have a more constant flow of fresh blood in the system would only be for the better. Here is my suggestion.

President- Term Limit: 1 Duration: 5 years
Senate- Term Limit: 2 Duration of each term: 3 Years
Congress- Term Limit: 2 Duration of each term: 3 Years

I think eliminating the time politicians spend on trying to get re-elected vs. actually working would decrease. This would also get rid of the lifers who are not making things better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Term Limits
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »
I don't think think you will ever get a change to the duration of each term.

But term limits for Congressmen and Senators I am all for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
I'm totally down with Term limits. You'll never get them passed though.... and if the President were limited to one term I'd give him/her a (6) year term, but I'm fine with the President's having the ability to be in office twice 4 years at a time.

It's Congress that needs the limits. It's a joke that some of these dudes are there for 30-40 years....it was never intended for that nor to be a 'full time job'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
Agreed.  I don't have any problem with the 2 terms for President, but I don't understand why there AREN'T term limits for the Congress and Senate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
Definitely agree

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
I'll disagree here. The problem isn't that they can work there forever. It's that they want to. If you make it a sucky job, then the people who actually want to stay around will be the ones you want sticking around long term.

Moreover, I think there's something to be said for senior leadership. If nobody ever gets more experience than any of the rest you've got a real lack of leadership going on. If you think about it now, it's not the old-timers that have created the impasses. I think they're just trying to keep up with the youngsters who are convinced that divine providence has placed them there to save the world.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
Moreover, I think there's something to be said for senior leadership. If nobody ever gets more experience than any of the rest you've got a real lack of leadership going on. If you think about it now, it's not the old-timers that have created the impasses. I think they're just trying to keep up with the youngsters who are convinced that divine providence compels them to reinvent the wheel.

Ehh...I disagree EB. The old timers are just as guilty as the new blood in this. The only reason senior leadership is even needed is because of how big a mess and tangled web they've made it. It really shouldn't be as difficult as they've made it and it really shouldn't be that hard for them to get on the same page and do things for the good of the country, and not themselves or for party lines. Term limits would do that. They'd know they have a limited time to get something done....not have endless time to fluff their nest and start to take root in order to continually fleece us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
This probably isn't what kaos aimed at with this thread, but I'd be interested in what you guys think on this.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/scalia-how-to-fix-supreme-court-vacancy-reform-213637
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
Moreover, I think there's something to be said for senior leadership. If nobody ever gets more experience than any of the rest you've got a real lack of leadership going on. If you think about it now, it's not the old-timers that have created the impasses. I think they're just trying to keep up with the youngsters who are convinced that divine providence compels them to reinvent the wheel.

Ehh...I disagree EB. The old timers are just as guilty as the new blood in this. The only reason senior leadership is even needed is because of how big a mess and tangled web they've made it. It really shouldn't be as difficult as they've made it and it really shouldn't be that hard for them to get on the same page and do things for the good of the country, and not themselves or for party lines. Term limits would do that. They'd know they have a limited time to get something done....not have endless time to fluff their nest and start to take root in order to continually fleece us.
The old timers were always excited to bluster for C-Span, but willing to sit down with some Scotch and work together after the lights went down. That's when you'd actually have back room deals made. Moreover, because of the senior leadership the youngsters knew they couldn't storm in there expecting to change the world overnight, accepting nothing to the contrary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:08:31 PM »
I read something a few years back where a guy suggested that for Congress or Senate that there is no limit on the number of terms, but the terms cannot be consecutive. So you serve a term, take one off, then can be reelected again. Kind of makes sense to me. You get to have experienced politicians in office, but they will never be campaigning while in office.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
Anyone think the size of the house could also be addressed? Last night I read about the Reapportionment Act of 1929. The number of seats used to be based on the size of the population. With a population of 128 million, that count was capped at 435. We have 318 million people in this country today. I feel like the people are not being properly represented.