Author Topic: Justice Scalia Dead at 79  (Read 3773 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Justice Scalia Dead at 79
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
From PA Senator Pat Toomey (R) on Twitter:

With the U.S. Supreme Courtís balance at stake, and with the presidential election fewer than eight months away it is wise to give the American people a more direct voice in the selection and confirmation of the next justice.  Should Merrick Garland be nominated again by the next president, I would be happy to carefully consider his nomination as I have done with dozens of judges submitted by President Obama.

It isn't about doing his job, based on what the Constitution allows him to do.  It's about who made the nomination.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
The dumbest rationale by a pretty dumb party is that "the people should have a say" in the process. The people already said what they wanted. The people elected Obama's silly ass for a 4 year term. I really don't get how that suddenly becomes "3 years and 2 months" just because Scalia croaked.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
The dumbest rationale by a pretty dumb party is that "the people should have a say" in the process. The people already said what they wanted. The people elected Obama's silly ass for a 4 year term. I really don't get how that suddenly becomes "3 years and 2 months" just because Scalia croaked.
I agree.

Which makes it doubly weird that apparently some GOP Senators would like to confirm him in the event of a lame-duck session.  Which would be extremely hypocritical. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.