Author Topic: Justice Scalia Dead at 79  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Justice Scalia Dead at 79
« Reply #175 on: February 29, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »
Oh god, then every Supreme Court decision will include a paragraph about the outstanding quality of Bourbon.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #176 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:13:35 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/29/politics/supreme-court-clarence-thomas-10-year-streak-question/

The timing certainly is notable. It'd be a gas if he up and decided to help take up the slack in covering Scalia's interrogations/assistance. What's interesting to me is that what he asked was a question that any one of them might, and probably would have asked. This sounds like an argument that I'll have to listen to at some point. Not to hear him speak, I already have, but to hear the context of the question (and also to hear how the solicitor reacted to it--must have been somewhat startling, and those people often tend to be scared shitless under normal circumstances).

As an aside, he obviously didn't ask any questions when I was there, but he did bust out a belly laugh over something Breyer had scrawled on a note to him. After watching him goof off for 55 minutes, the surprise to me is that he's even paying attention during those things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #178 on: February 29, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:13:45 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #179 on: February 29, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
Maybe I'm just dull, but that doesn't make any sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Maybe I'm just dull, but that doesn't make any sense.
You're not dull.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
It makes sense if you have ODS.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:39:42 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »
ODS

If you say so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:14:01 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2016, 07:03:41 AM »
ODS

If you say so.

Optimus Design System?

Online Dating Service?

Octadecylsilane?

Nope; tried all three, still doesn't make much sense. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2016, 07:17:03 AM »
*shrugs*

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »
Obama Derangement Syndrome.

i.e. if it has anything to do with Obama, it's wrong by default.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:14:12 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:15 AM »
:rollin

It doesn't get any better than this.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:14:27 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:19 AM »
If the GOP congress had an ounce of common sense it'd call Obama's bluff with Garland. I suspect the guy's age is one of the reasons Obama picked him as an undeniable nominee. He's probably got 15 years left, tops. That's something the senate should take advantage of. In the mean time, President Hillary will nominate somebody far more divisive and 20 years younger. The bigger issue is who the hell knows what President Trump might nominate? Garland might be their best option regardless of who wins the election.

Personally, I suspect this was a bluff pick based more on Obama wanting to win one over the senate than anything else, and the senate is too stupid to win this round. 
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
I agree with all of that.

I think McConnell is a complete moron for holding out and refusing to even hold a hearing.  All he is accomplishing is proving Obama right, that the Senate is flat-out refusing to do their job.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:14:41 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
El Barto, so you support this pick?  Because he's everything you hate when it comes to the criminal justice system.
No, I don't. I think the procedural variety of due process is rather important, and it would seem that he does not. And while I haven't had much time to read up on him, I suspect he's going to be pretty liberal with regard to search warrant requirements. A little too much of the law and order type for my taste. Another reason why the GOP should consider him and Obama likely never expected him to get a chance.
E.F. Benson

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:14:50 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
The GOP overplayed their hand right off the bat by proclaiming they would not approve anyone Obama put up this year.  How stupid was that? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
The GOP overplayed their hand right off the bat by proclaiming they would not approve anyone Obama put up this year.  How stupid was that?
Pretty stupid.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »
Pretty stupid.

It's only stupid if they don't pass the dude. They could try to spin it as "we tricked obama into nominating a centrist"  If anything obama is certainly crafty...I mean, I don't see what the problem is with this judge? He's not a Kagan or Sotomayor who are a tad more liberal. Dude seems as close to appealing to 'both sides' as you can get. The Repubs will dick around, Hillary will win the White House and then nominate a much younger left leaning judge we'll be stuck with for 30 years as opposed to this guy who may make it 15 yrs.

This stunt by the GOP is the type of crap that makes people HATE politicians. The Dems do it too....it's just the Repubs turn to look like A$$hats. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2016, 07:53:35 AM »
I don't see what the problem is with this judge?

President Obama nominated this judge.  That's the only problem.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »

That and his stance on Heller; he's stated that he would overturn that without question.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:15:05 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
Of course, they're completely within their power to do so.  The only thing that makes it look bad is when they essentially come right out and say "Um, f*ck this president in particular, we're going to use the Constitution to justify our usual habit of standing in the way of any sort of progress whatsoever".

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:15:15 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
"Consent" in this case would be saying "no, we don't like him." That's not what congress is doing. Once McConnel said "it's not about the person" that whole argument went right out the window.

Moreover, it's not about guns. It's not about anything other than Obama, as evidenced by what I just wrote.
E.F. Benson

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:15:26 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out if you're serious or just trolling. This time it looks pretty clearly to be the latter.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2016, 08:18:30 AM »
Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out if you're serious or just trolling. This time it looks pretty clearly to be the latter.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »

Well....let's not pretend that if the shoe was on the other foot that Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Co. wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. They absolutely would and to think they wouldn't be would be being intellectually dishonest.

But the shoe isn't on the other foot.....and the repubs look like tards' doing this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »

Well....let's not pretend that if the shoe was on the other foot that Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Co. wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. They absolutely would and to think they wouldn't be would be being intellectually dishonest.
You can say that, and you can think that, but it's never happened before.  So let's not talk about being intellectually dishonest.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
but it's never happened before. 

This exact scenario....no it hasn't. But to pretend the Dems haven't used perfectly 'legal' yet shady tactics to derail Republicans is silly. there is no doubt that what I said is true...if the shoe were on the other foot Democratic leaders would be saying and doing the exact same things Repubs are doing right now.