Author Topic: Lent  (Read 903 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Lent
« on: February 13, 2016, 04:10:05 AM »
Too much political, not enough religious lately.

So, anyone giving anything up for Lent?  Or how do you otherwise prepare for Easter?  Any special habits, rituals, or observations?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Lent
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
I'm giving myself up.
My daughter's portrait was replaced for this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
Soda and ice cream.

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Obviously, I don't partake in that. However, I wanted to add that my ex-wife's cousin's husband is Greek Orthodox and he fasts completely throughout Lent. He loses something like 20 pounds. Anyone else here that strict?

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »
Obviously, I don't partake in that. However, I wanted to add that my ex-wife's cousin's husband is Greek Orthodox and he fasts completely throughout Lent. He loses something like 20 pounds. Anyone else here that strict?
I take it he finds those 20 lbs by the next Lent.

Not being religious, I look for local deals on fish.  Love fish, so thank you to all those that create these conditions.
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Not being religious, I look for local deals on fish.  Love fish, so thank you to all those that create these conditions.
Yeah, my main concern during Lent is always finding the best fish. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:18 AM »
I've never heard of anyone being that strict.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »

My grandfather - may he rest in peace - would fast from Holy Thursday night (at midnight) until the Easter celebration following mass. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »

My grandfather - may he rest in peace - would fast from Holy Thursday night (at midnight) until the Easter celebration following mass.
While somewhat extreme, that's really only a few days, not a practice for all of Lent.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »

Neither did I until then. As much as I'm agnostic, I find some respect in what he does. Regardless of what he believes, the principle of being that steadfast with something is admirable. He's not harming anyone. He's not breaking the law. He's simply adhering to his faith in his own way.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Stop giving stuff up for me. ;)
My daughter's portrait was replaced for this.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:28 PM »

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
How does one truly fast for 40 days?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »

If you're fat enough and are allowed to drink water, you might be able to make it 40 days. If you aren't allowed water, it's not possible.

Offline TL

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
I like what Pope Francis suggested recently. That if people choose to give something up for Lent, he's encouraging them to give up indifference (and obviously hopes they'll keep that going even after Lent). Basically, instead of giving up a material thing, making more of an effort to help the less fortunate in whatever way you can.

In addition to that, while I don't usually give up a specific thing during Lent, I do usually make an effort to simplify a bit, and be more modest with what I consume. Also, I like using it as a time to really reflect on where I'm at in life, and what my priorities are/should be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
I like using it as a time to really reflect on where I'm at in life, and what my priorities are/should be.
I think this is probably the most effective thing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »
I like using it as a time to really reflect on where I'm at in life, and what my priorities are/should be.
I think this is probably the most effective thing.

I know a girl who writes a letter every day of lent and sends it to someone she cares about.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »

If you're fat enough and are allowed to drink water, you might be able to make it 40 days. If you aren't allowed water, it's not possible.

I'm not sure what it was he did consume, but I'm assuming water was one of them. Maybe someone here who is Greek Orthodox has done this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Never really understood the point in giving something up honestly.  Sure there's plenty of things I don't need or that I should give up to better myself, but to me, and even as a somewhat religion Christian, I never understood many of the things where you have to sacrifice something from yourself to serve a religious purpose.  Same with no eating meat on Fridays.  I just see these as things humans do, but having no real impact on my religious beliefs.  I don't think I have even attempted to follow this lent tradition in at least 20 years.

But this all goes into my own personal religious beliefs so I get it that I am not traditional at all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
Never really understood the point in giving something up honestly.  Sure there's plenty of things I don't need or that I should give up to better myself, but to me, and even as a somewhat religion Christian, I never understood many of the things where you have to sacrifice something from yourself to serve a religious purpose.  Same with no eating meat on Fridays.  I just see these as things humans do, but having no real impact on my religious beliefs.  I don't think I have even attempted to follow this lent tradition in at least 20 years.

That's okay to do now (I think it has been since the Pope Paul said it was okay in the 60s). I've read that it was originally put into practice because the pope was invested in Italian fishermen. Not sure about the validity of that though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »

That's okay to do now (I think it has been since the Pope Paul said it was okay in the 60s). I've read that it was originally put into practice because the pope was invested in Italian fishermen. Not sure about the validity of that though.

Didn't know that at all, but if that's true it just adds to my feelings that these are humans doing human things and it has no bearing on religion.  That's the way I feel about it and I know it goes against Christianity.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

I heard that same reason, but can't be sure if it's actually true. The no meat rule varies though. Some people don't eat meat on Fridays throughout Lent only. My grandmother never ate meat on Fridays throughout the entire year. She said herself that it's not documented anywhere that people must do it; it's just dependent on how a person wants to practice their faith.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »

I heard that same reason, but can't be sure if it's actually true. The no meat rule varies though. Some people don't eat meat on Fridays throughout Lent only. My grandmother never ate meat on Fridays throughout the entire year. She said herself that it's not documented anywhere that people must do it; it's just dependent on how a person wants to practice their faith.

There's a hot dog place in CT called Blackies (really good hot dogs) that's closed on Fridays. It's been around since my parents were kids and it being closed on Friday is due to the fact that they'd do no business on Fridays (back in the day). Now the owners probably do it because it's a cash cow and having Fridays off is awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »

There's a hot dog place in CT called Blackies (really good hot dogs) that's closed on Fridays. It's been around since my parents were kids and it being closed on Friday is due to the fact that they'd do no business on Fridays (back in the day). Now the owners probably do it because it's a cash cow and having Fridays off is awesome.

That's interesting and the first time I've ever heard of that. I've never seen a place around here that's closed on Fridays.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

But this all goes into my own personal religious beliefs so I get it that I am not traditional at all.
I think the original intention of giving something up for Lent was to symbolically identify (if even in a small way) with the sacrifice made by Christ.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »

I think the original intention of giving something up for Lent was to symbolically identify (if even in a small way) with the sacrifice made by Christ.

Oh, I know that.  I'm thinking a bit bigger, like why is it that a human today needs to make a symbolical sacrifice because Christ had done the same?  Lent is only with regards to one religion, but I think of it not much different than Jews during passover and Muslims during Ramadan.  I understand my view is going to be a minority view in this, I just don't understand why us lowly humans perform such mundane things to make us feel the same impact as Christ or whoever felt when they made their sacrifice. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
Previously, I have been very selfish in what I give up for Lent. For example, I once gave up sugar...but of course, I did so in part for others reasons (because I wanted to look better and be healthier). My sacrifices weren't pure - not that they ever could be, but you understand.

I am not celebrating Lent this year. If I were to, though, I would give up the internet, email-checking, text-checking, and my smartphone. All those things that are distracters from relationship with Christ.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »

LOVE Blackies.   I remember the first time I ate there (at the break for my CT Bar Exam). 

It's not that far off from Chick-fil-A being closed on Sundays.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »
For the past 23 years I have given up Julia Roberts for Lent. I won't see her, speak to her, take her calls, or anything else. I totally and completely have no dealings with her during Lent, and it has worked out fine for me. Granted, I have never met Julia Roberts, and she more than likely has no clue or care that I exist, probably. But, I remain clear of conscience up until Easter every year.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."