Author Topic: Chosen/Losing Faythe appreciation  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Ħ

Chosen/Losing Faythe appreciation
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:34:50 AM »
These songs really grew on me. Losing Faythe in particular makes me sorrowful. I don't know exactly what is meant to be conveyed by their parallel structure, but it's really beautiful to hear James (as Nafaryus) singing the whole There's a reason now I see... verse. Chills.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online MirrorMask

Re: Chosen/Losing Faythe appreciation
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:59 AM »
Chosen is great, the chorus grows on you after a while and gets you. Love the reprise at the end with just the piano and vocals.

Losing Faythe is weird in the sense that they're all despairing about Faythe dying, but the song vibe is optimistic. Still, it has great melodies (like the one you mentioned) and all in all is a very solid song so no complaints from me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 04:22:37 AM »
Great tandem of songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:58:00 AM »
I prefer Losing Faythe to Chosen by a mile. Don't know why really.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Chosen is awesome. One of my favorites.

I am not a big fan of Losing Faythe, mostly it seems to just meander for the first 2/3, but the last 80 seconds or so is pretty great.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »
Chosen is easily a top 10 song on the album. Losing Faythe is also really pretty but would be better without the crying samples...

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Yes, non-musical samples on albums sound ok the first time you hear them, then tend to grate a little.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »
I've woken up this morning with the Reason chorus from both these songs stuck in my head. I also love the buildup of chords at "I'm convinced beyond all doubt...".