Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257374 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
Seriously?  How did it sound?  According to reports, that is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
Eh, aside from the two Drama tunes, that pretty much looks like just about every set list Yes has done for the last 15 years...nothing but generally the same stuff from the 70s plus one token Rabin song which is always "Owner of a Lonely Heart."  Ho-hum.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
Eh, aside from the two Drama tunes, that pretty much looks like just about every set list Yes has done for the last 15 years...nothing but generally the same stuff from the 70s plus one token Rabin song which is always "Owner of a Lonely Heart."  Ho-hum.

Still an awesome set for those of us who have never seen the band live, although I can still understand your disenchantment with the setlist.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

Still an awesome set for those of us who have never seen the band live, although I can still understand your disenchantment with the setlist.

This. I still have yet to see Yes and a set list like that would be great for me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »

Agreed, except for the ho-hum part(for me, every Yes show is a treat, no matter the setlist), and not counting the Masterworks tour.  The show I saw on that one had CTTE, Heart of the Sunrise, Rituals, Gates of Delerium, Starship Trooper, and Revealing Science of God.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

Agreed, except for the ho-hum part(for me, every Yes show is a treat, no matter the setlist), and not counting the Masterworks tour.  The show I saw on that one had CTTE, Heart of the Sunrise, Rituals, Gates of Delerium, Starship Trooper, and Revealing Science of God.

I'm jealous.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
That's one reason why I honestly don't understand seeing a band on literally every single tour, especially a band like Yes, who haven't had a new album in years and basically do nostalgia tours now.  At some point, it's just not special anymore.  If you've seen Yes so many times that that setlist is "ho-hum", you've actually managed to see Yes too many times, which is itself quite an accomplishment.  (And of course there are still people who claim that every time is amazing and awesome.)

The list is impressive, and anyone who hasn't seen Yes before would get a lot out of it.  Yeah, they'd still miss out on "Close to the Edge", but the guys are in their 60's now.  Take what you can get while they're still around.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
Going to see Yes, for me, is a spiritual experience, and is uplifting and fulfilling every time.

And to quadrochosis, that show pretty much was the best ever.  Another close one though was the Reunion tour, when they played in the round and almost all present and former members played, including Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Squire, Bruford, White, Kaye, and Wakeman(I think).

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
I saw Yes when I was quite young. Maybe 14 or so.

Everyone recommend me an album for me to give them another shot with, plz.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »

Fragile or Close to the Edge are probably your two best bets. The Yes Album is also up there, and those three albums are pretty much the holy trinity of Yes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
The Yes Album is the perrenial training album, from there work with either Close to the Edge or Relayer.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

Fragile or Close to the Edge are probably your two best bets. The Yes Album is also up there, and those three albums are pretty much the holy trinity of Yes.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
Another close one though was the Reunion tour, when they played in the round and almost all present and former members played, including Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Squire, Bruford, White, Kaye, and Wakeman(I think).

That's the one and only time I've seen them, when all eight of them were up there in the round.  Only Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz were absent.  Wakeman was there, and the tour was "Union" (the union of YesWest and ABWH, the two Yes "factions" at the time).  I figure that they'll never top that, between the fact that they're all getting older and some of them will never be back anyway, so at this point, I'll check out the occassional concert vid and hang onto my memories.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a Yes survivor in the Poll Board? (Assuming no one else already holds this job and I am unaware of it?)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

Fragile and The Yes Album are awesome.  From there, move on to Close to the Edge.  You will now be in possession of Yes' 3 best albums.  Buy everything else from their "classic" period (with the exception of Tornado), then buy 90215 and delve into Rabin-era if that's your taste.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
Another close one though was the Reunion tour, when they played in the round and almost all present and former members played, including Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Squire, Bruford, White, Kaye, and Wakeman(I think).

That's the one and only time I've seen them, when all eight of them were up there in the round.  Only Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz were absent.  Wakeman was there, and the tour was "Union" (the union of YesWest and ABWH, the two Yes "factions" at the time).  I figure that they'll never top that, between the fact that they're all getting older and some of them will never be back anyway, so at this point, I'll check out the occassional concert vid and hang onto my memories.

That is such a depressing post, but so so true :(

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
It is depressing, and I wasn't really gonna bring it up, but I had to correct lonestar on the name of the tour, and verify that Wakeman was indeed in the lineup.

It was actually a fucking amazing show.  Howe and Rabin were opposite each other, Kaye and Wakeman were also opposite each other, this formed the main "crosshairs".  Bruford and White were opposite each other, each between a guitarist and a keyboardist.  The remaining two spots were Anderson and Squire.  A perfectly balanced and perfectly logical arrangement.  The round stage rotated slowly sometimes, so everybody got to see their favorite players "in front" at least some of the time, but it didn't just move all the time, because that would be distracting.  It mostly stayed still.  No opening act, and counting a 15-minute intermission and encores, the show was nearly three hours long.  

What's extra cool is that, while different players took breaks during the show, the 80's stuff wasn't just played by the 90125 band, and the "classic" stuff wasn't just played by the classic lineup.  Rabin and Howe did the guitar duel at the end of "Starship Trooper", for example.  Wakeman took a screaming Moog solo at the end of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", a song he didn't even play on originally.  That kind of thing.  You might think that with two guitars, two keyboards, and two drummers, it would be cacaphony, but it wasn't.  It was orchestral; a huge sound, mondo prog.  "Awaken" was out of this world.

As I said, I don't think they'll ever top it, and I'm glad I got to see them at their peak, so I'm done seeing Yes in concert.  It would only be disappointing now.  But I'd still recommend seeing any version of Yes to someone who's never seen them.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
It is depressing, and I wasn't really gonna bring it up, but I had to correct lonestar on the name of the tour, and verify that Wakeman was indeed in the lineup.

It was actually a fucking amazing show.  Howe and Rabin were opposite each other, Kaye and Wakeman were also opposite each other, this formed the main "crosshairs".  Bruford and White were opposite each other, each between a guitarist and a keyboardist.  The remaining two spots were Anderson and Squire.  A perfectly balanced and perfectly logical arrangement.  The round stage rotated slowly sometimes, so everybody got to see their favorite players "in front" at least some of the time, but it didn't just move all the time, because that would be distracting.  It mostly stayed still.  No opening act, and counting a 15-minute intermission and encores, the show was nearly three hours long.  

What's extra cool is that, while different players took breaks during the show, the 80's stuff wasn't just played by the 90125 band, and the "classic" stuff wasn't just played by the classic lineup.  Rabin and Howe did the guitar duel at the end of "Starship Trooper", for example.  Wakeman took a screaming Moog solo at the end of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", a song he didn't even play on originally.  That kind of thing.  You might think that with two guitars, two keyboards, and two drummers, it would be cacaphony, but it wasn't.  It was orchestral; a huge sound, mondo prog.  "Awaken" was out of this world.

As I said, I don't think they'll ever top it, and I'm glad I got to see them at their peak, so I'm done seeing Yes in concert.  It would only be disappointing now.  But I'd still recommend seeing any version of Yes to someone who's never seen them.

That sounds amazing! I'm gonna have to get some live bootlegs of this, it sounds incredible. Did you see them before or after the Union album, and did they play any material from it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »

It was actually a fucking amazing show.  Howe and Rabin were opposite each other, Kaye and Wakeman were also opposite each other, this formed the main "crosshairs".  Bruford and White were opposite each other, each between a guitarist and a keyboardist.  The remaining two spots were Anderson and Squire.  A perfectly balanced and perfectly logical arrangement.  The round stage rotated slowly sometimes, so everybody got to see their favorite players "in front" at least some of the time, but it didn't just move all the time, because that would be distracting.  It mostly stayed still.  No opening act, and counting a 15-minute intermission and encores, the show was nearly three hours long. 

What's extra cool is that, while different players took breaks during the show, the 80's stuff wasn't just played by the 90125 band, and the "classic" stuff wasn't just played by the classic lineup.  Rabin and Howe did the guitar duel at the end of "Starship Trooper", for example.  Wakeman took a screaming Moog solo at the end of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", a song he didn't even play on originally.  That kind of thing.  You might think that with two guitars, two keyboards, and two drummers, it would be cacaphony, but it wasn't.  It was orchestral; a huge sound, mondo prog.  "Awaken" was out of this world.

As I said, I don't think they'll ever top it, and I'm glad I got to see them at their peak, so I'm done seeing Yes in concert.  It would only be disappointing now.  But I'd still recommend seeing any version of Yes to someone who's never seen them.

That sounds amazing! I'm gonna have to get some live bootlegs of this, it sounds incredible. Did you see them before or after the Union album, and did they play any material from it?

I'd like to know this too. Union is one of my favorite Yes albums.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2010, 01:31:18 AM »
Would anyone be interested in a Yes survivor in the Poll Board? (Assuming no one else already holds this job and I am unaware of it?)

I would!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »
I would be interested, too.  :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2010, 01:47:12 AM »

I would!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2010, 04:58:47 AM »
kk cool, I'll start it up as soon as I have time today. :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:45 AM »
I should probably add a little note to start listening to their discography starting with Yes :)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
Damn, I'll have to skip the first two albums...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
If the intention is to listen to the entire discography, I suggest including the first two albums at some point.  There's certainly nothing wrong with them.  The songs are not as prog, but even in the early days, Yes had a penchant for going a bit beyond standard arrangements, and they have some pretty inventive covers on those first two albums.  It's insightful to see where they started from.

As for the setlist from Union, I don't remember it all.  But they opened with the excerpt from "The Firebird" and jumped into "Yours is No Disgrace".  Abrupt, but it did start the show with a bang.  I know they did "Awaken" because it closed the first set.  All the standards were there, including "All Good People", "And You And I", and of course "Roundabout" for the encore.  They pretty much had to play "Owner of a Lonely Heart" -- their only #1 song.  Oh yeah, that night (7/20/1991) they were celebrating Trevor Rabin's newly minted U.S. Citizenship.  He's South African by birth, but had applied for, and was granted that day, U.S. Citizenship as well.

Wakeman and Howe had their solo spots, and Kaye even got a short one which led into "Changes".  Late in the show, where you might expect a drum solo, there was a drum duet, not unlike what Genesis did with Collins and Thompson.  White stuck mainly to traps, and Bruford provided mostly the crazy licks and fills he's known for.  (Interesting, I just realized that the one tour Chester Thompson didn't do with Genesis after Phil Collins started fronting the band, it was Bill Bruford who played drums.  Funny how that works.)

"Heart of the Sunrise" was a treat.  "Long Distance Runaround + The Fish" was in there, too, basically Squire's solo spot.  From the Union album, they did "Shock to the System" and "Lift Me Up".

My memory must be playing tricks on me, because I thought Rabin and Howe had dueled at the end of "Starship Trooper", but I'm not seeing that song on any setlists I can find online (yeah, I finally had to cheat).  It was during "Yours is No Disgrace".  On Yessongs, there's a part where Howe takes off for a while, before they come back with "death-defying, mutilated.." and that's where Rabin and Howe traded licks.

There are video boots and torrents out there of the Union tour.  I've seen some of it, and it's not bad.  The Denver show is the best, if you can find it.  Also, there was an official release in Japan -- I think it may have been Laserdisc -- which is out of print, but boots of it are out there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
Sounds like Wakeman and Rabin are going to work on an album together.  About time!! ;D ;D

https://uploads.mailboxdrive.com/Ask%20Rick%20-%20Wakey%20and%20Trev.mp3
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
Awesome post Orbert. And yes, I do intend on starting this from the beginning. The self titled will indeed be first.
space cadet, pull out.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
You will not regret it.  :tup  As I said upthread, Yes has changed a lot over the years, and one way to really appreciate it is to just listen to the whole discography in order of release.  It will be an interesting (and long) journey.

Wakeman and Rabin have talked about wanting to record together for a long time.  They were both psyched about playing together on the Union tour, but bummed that the album didn't actually have the two bands playing together on anything, and then the suits wouldn't let Wakeman appear on the next Yes album, which eventually became Talk.  Rabin did appear on Wakeman's Return to the Center of the Earth (I think that was the one, anyway), but this will be their first real project together.  If it works out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
I have officially begun the Yes Survivor!

Here's a link:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10663.0
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »
Something that I have noticed in Yes' music is the use of the word "River." It's present in many of their songs that were made throughout the 70s. Anyone have any ideas as to what this may mean. I know in some Eastern traditions rivers are seen as holy or mystical symbols for rebirth, life, etc. Perhaps they are using the word in this way?
space cadet, pull out.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
That is entirely possible.  Jon is into Eastern mysticism and open to any form of spirituality in general.  Water and images involving water show up a lot in Yes music.  The source of life and all that, plus its calming effect on the psyche is well-documented.

Close to the edge, down by the river
A river, a mountain to be crossed
I awoke this morning, love laid me down by the river
In and around the lake
I still remember the talks by the water
You crossed over the river (technically ABWH, but still)

That's just off the top of my head.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
I've always noted that Yes's lyrics created a mood that goes with the music, especially in their older stuff.  I mean a lot of their lyrics don't make a ton of sense, but when listened with the music, it just sounds right.

On a side note, I remembered an incident about 12 years back, and a young coworker of mine was perusing the back of my newly acquired Keys to Ascension CD.  Out of the blue, she pipes up,"A twenty minute song, god damn."  In response, I said,"Look at the song title, The Revealing Science of God, it takes a while to cover that."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
Great answer!

As for the mood/lyrics connection, I agree totally, and believe that that was the point.  The lyrics don't always make literal sense, but conjure a lot of images and have a certain sound to them that fits the music.  Jon's voice was his instrument, and what he did with lyrics was something like scatting in jazz, only I would say even better because there is lyrical content, whereas scat truly is jibberish.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
There's a lot of great stuff on the first two Yes albums that often gets overlooked. I also love Tony Kaye's work on the first three albums, even more than his work when he rejoined.

Early Floyd is like that in a way, but maybe early Floyd is not as overlooked due in large part to the legend of Syd.