Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257337 times)

devieira73 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The (New?) Official Yes Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Orcus, you oughta try Going For the One if Close to the Edge doesn't do it for you.  It's easily the most diverse album Yes have (that's high quality).

As for general Yes discussion, I've avoided most of the newest stuff but Magnification is pretty good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »
To me, "Mind Drive," "Footprints" and "Bring Me to the Power" are all good songs.  The other four songs from the Keys session are all just okay.  As a whole, the whole Keystudio CD isn't essential, unless you are a diehard fan.

PC, I do not agree with that.  Honestly, if someone doesn't dig Close to the Edge, they probably aren't gonna dig classic Yes in general. 

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
PC, I do not agree with that.  Honestly, if someone doesn't dig Close to the Edge, they probably aren't gonna dig classic Yes in general.

Or better put: If someone dislikes a flawless masterpiece, they sure as hell won't like albums that aren't. :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:10 AM »

Or better put: If someone dislikes a flawless masterpiece, they sure as hell won't like albums that aren't. :P

Bingo.  :tup :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
Yeah I couldn't get into the song Close To The Edge, at least not in the sense other people have. It just seems like one really drawn out average idea. Never really got into Roundabout either but I haven't listened to that in awhile. The Yes Album, on the other hand, is fantastic from start to finish. Starship Trooper is easily my favorite out of what I've heard.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
The only Yes song I've listened to is Roundabout, but it contains the best bass line I have ever heard.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
Yeah I couldn't get into the song Close To The Edge, at least not in the sense other people have. It just seems like one really drawn out average idea. Never really got into Roundabout either but I haven't listened to that in awhile. The Yes Album, on the other hand, is fantastic from start to finish. Starship Trooper is easily my favorite out of what I've heard.

You only think this because you weren't around when the album came out in 72, so that's not entirely fair.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
And it's fair to use that excuse because I wasn't even born in 1972? Are you fucking serious? So I can't have a true opinion on any music of that time period because I wasn't there to hear it when it came out? Give me a break.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »
And it's fair to use that excuse because I wasn't even born in 1972? Are you fucking serious? So I can't have a true opinion on any music of that time period because I wasn't there to hear it when it came out? Give me a break.

:chill

I just meant that the concept was considered more interesting to people who heard it when it came out because such an idea had never really been done at the time. You've been exposed to a lot of progressive rock since then presumably, so CTTE doesn't seem as interesting as it did when it first came out.

(edit)
In other news: Let's not take the internet so seriously.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »
There was no need to pull out the Internet Cool Guy baiting tactics.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »

You only think this because you weren't around when the album came out in 72, so that's not entirely fair.
Whereas you, of course, being at least 37 which you definitely are, are far more enlightened and fully understand it in all its beauty?

Damn.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »

Aren't you like 18/19?  If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.  I'm baffled as well, but hey, he loves the Yes Album, so I think he's an okay guy.

EDIT, decided to try a top 10.  Here goes:

1. And You And I
2. Starship Trooper
3. Close to the Edge
Tempus Fugit
Wondrous Stories
Heart of the Sunrise
South Side of the Sky
Yours Is No Disgrace
Siberian Khatru
I've Seen All Good People

I really need to pick up Tales, Keystudio and Time and a Word.  As for the Rabin-era stuff, I tried listening to "Rhythm of Love" the other day and didn't really get it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:52:52 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »
Just posting to say I'm listening to Close to the Edge now and it is fantastical.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:51 AM »
Just posting to say I'm listening to Close to the Edge now and it is fantastical.

:tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2009, 04:15:13 AM »
There was no need to pull out the Internet Cool Guy baiting tactics.

Fair enough.

Anyway, all of you missed my point, so I obviously worded my post wrong. I'll better clarify: All I meant was that he didn't find the concept of the album interesting due to the fact that the idea is old and overused now (by prog rock standards, anyway). No need to jump down my throat about it.  :lol I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk or anything, I was just in a rush when I was posting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:23:11 AM by Shadoshi »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »
I've just purchased that 35th anniversary concert DVD, and it's pretty cool. The set list could've been better, but oh well...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

:tup
I always listen to it when I go camping in the Sierras.  Lying on my back, staring at the starfilled sky, with that song playing, is on of the most beautiful experiences of life.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2009, 02:23:39 AM »
2009 hasn't been a good year at all, but at least it was the year where I finally started a long Yes obsession. Tales of Topographic Oceans, Relayer, and Going for the One are three of the greatest albums I've ever heard--they give me chills every time. I honestly love every track on all of those albums. The most disappointing one in my opinion is Tormato, just because the opening track is so strong and bizarre that the rest seems awfully boring in comparison. Union also doesn't do much for me at all.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »
This was the year I started my Yes obsession as well... Good for me.  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2009, 07:04:37 AM »
Tormato is a tough one.  I agree with most other Yesfans that's among their weakest, but there are some high points.  I think the closer "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" is quite strong, one of my favorites.  "Onward" is a beautiful song.  And there are parts of many songs that are pretty cool, even if the song overall isn't great.

The thing that's most often pointed out is that the keyboards sound dated.  I guess I'm lucky in that I picked this one up when it came out, so they don't sound dated to me; that's just how they sound.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »
Tormato is a tough one.  I agree with most other Yesfans that's among their weakest, but there are some high points.  I think the closer "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" is quite strong, one of my favorites.  "Onward" is a beautiful song.  And there are parts of many songs that are pretty cool, even if the song overall isn't great.

The thing that's most often pointed out is that the keyboards sound dated.  I guess I'm lucky in that I picked this one up when it came out, so they don't sound dated to me; that's just how they sound.

You know, I probably haven't listened to Tormato in over a year. I should probably try and fit it in sometime soon....If only to hear On The Silent Wings Of Freedom and Onward. It's just never a preference for me to throw on Going For The One or Tormato. 

For me, that's like the forgotten Yes years because after those two came Drama and 90125, which are a pair of awesome albums in my opinion and then everyone knows about the classic track record before that.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »
So I bought Fragile and Close to the Edge a few weeks ago.  I haven't listened to CttE at all yet, but gave Fragile quite a few front to back listens.  I will listen to CttE tonight on my drive to Pennsylvania, since I'll have 3 hours in the car.

Roundabout-  This song really gets stuck in my head a lot.  I'm not well versed in prog, so this is a bit much to swallow at once.  I love the main bass riff, too.

Cans and Brahms- OK.  Sounds like "Hey, look what I've been messing around with.  Let's put it on the album."

We Have Heaven- ??? I guess this is a concept album of some sort, and this fits some part of the story.  Otherwise, I don't get it.

I dont really have a good enough handle on the rest of the songs to make any meaningful comments, except for Long Distance Run Around; I swear, it must have been the inspiration to the Super Mario Bros theme.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
Be forewarned, CTTE is tougher to digest than Fragile is.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
jasc15, Fragile is four full band compositions and the other five tracks are all in essence solo tracks by the five members.  "We Have Heaven" is Jon Anderson's solo, and "Cans and Brahms" is Wakeman's.  The best of the five are quite obviously "The Fish" (Squire's) and "Mood for a Day" (Howe's).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
I've been getting the feeling that:

Wakeman:Yes::Rudess:Dream Theater

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »
Something like that.  Just as Wakeman has played keys on the majority of Yes albums, Rudess has now played on the majority of Dream Theater albums. There have been others, all with merit, but Wakeman and Rudess are the most widely known by a longshot.

Also, the reason why "Cans and Brahms" is rather -- well "weak" is the word -- is because Wakeman had another piece ready to put on Fragile but he was signed to A&M Records, and Yes was on Atlantic at the time, and A&M wouldn't let him use anything he'd written "for them" (A&M); it had to be a new composition or arrangement.  The original piece ended up being on Six Wives.  

So Wakeman threw "Cans and Brahms" together at the last minute because the band already had this idea of having each player get a spotlight piece on the album.  For what it is, it's not bad.  Listen to "Anne of Cleves" from The Six Wives of Henry VIII for some serious Wakeman action.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »
I've been getting the feeling that:

Wakeman:Yes::Rudess:Dream Theater

Except that Rudess doesn't quit and rejoin Dream Theater every 20 minutes.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »
Also I'm in the mood to rank Yes albums, so here goes:

1. Fragile
2. The Yes Album
3. Close to the Edge
4. Relayer
5. Tales from Topographic Oceans
6. Going for the One
7. Union (I know, I know, but this was my first Yes album and I've essentially been listening to it for more than 10 years, and I'm only 19. This was due to the fact that my father had all of Yes on vinyl and this was the only Yes release he had on CD.)
8. Time and A Word
9. Yes
10. Tormato
11. Talk
12. Magnification
13. Drama
14. Open Your Eyes
15. The Ladder
16. Big Generator
17. 90125
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
You want some great Wakeman solo action, watch this.  This never fails to amaze me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkpGF4eWufg

And that is a bizarre list, to say the least, Quadrochosis.  Seeing Union that high is just goofy.  And 90125 last?  For shame!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
You want some great Wakeman solo action, watch this.  This never fails to amaze me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkpGF4eWufg

And that is a bizarre list, to say the least, Quadrochosis.  Seeing Union that high is just goofy.  And 90125 last?  For shame!

Well like I said, I grew up on Union.

The reason 90125 and BG are last is because I'm not big into the 80s synth music.

And Drama is low because Jon Anderson isn't on it.
space cadet, pull out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
As a Yes fan of thirty plus years, hear is my top ten...
1-And You And I(the most beautiful song, ever)
2-Close to the Edge
3-Awaken
4-Rituals
5-Gates of Delerium
6-Yours is no Disgrace
7-America(I know it's a cover, but the guitar work is mindblowing)
8-Starship Trooper
9-The Revealing Science of God
10-Roundabout
And an honorable mention to Your Move/All Good People

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
As a Yes fan of thirty plus years, hear is my top ten...
1-And You And I(the most beautiful song, ever)
2-Close to the Edge
3-Awaken
4-Rituals
5-Gates of Delerium
6-Yours is no Disgrace
7-America(I know it's a cover, but the guitar work is mindblowing)
8-Starship Trooper
9-The Revealing Science of God
10-Roundabout
And an honorable mention to Your Move/All Good People

Pretty solid list. You should do a Yes top __ list, seeing as you seem to be the resident Yes fan.

If you don't want to do it I would be honored to, seeing as I recently finished my Opeth one and I am looking for something to do lol.
space cadet, pull out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
They just announced a new slew of dates, including Dallas.  The reviews from their last aborted tour were pretty bad.  Hopefully, they've regrouped during the time off.  Regardless, anybody who'd pass up an opportunity to see Howe and Squire should have their eyes and ears gouged. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »

I'll give this a shot. I can probably group them into tiers:

Top Tier (no order):

The Yes Album
Relayer
Drama
Close To The Edge

Middle Tier (no order):

Tales From Topographic Oceans
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe
Fragile
Time And A Word
Yes
Big Generator
Talk
Union
Keys To Ascension I
Keys To Ascension II

Lower Tier (no order):

Going For The One
Tormato
The Ladder
Magnification

Least Favorite Yes album:

Open Your Eyes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
  Regardless, anybody who'd pass up an opportunity to see Howe and Squire should have their eyes and ears gouged. 

Considering how ugly Steve Howe is, I am pretty sure passing up the opportunity to see him would actually be doing your eyes a favor.  :biggrin: :biggrin: