Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257183 times)

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
The Official Yes Thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
Yes: better than Dream Theater. Discuss.

Personally I believe the holy quartet (Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer) to be the greatest string of albums any band's ever produced... ever. Close to the Edge is possible the single greatest pieces of music I've ever heard, personally. Even Yes's low points were better than most band's high points. The music was not only technically proficient, but at the same time as wowing listeners with skill, intense emotion was conveyed through strong melodies and harmonies, rhythms, and lyrics. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:52:11 PM by austin »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: The (New?) Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:09:23 AM »
Better than Dream Theater?  That's debatable.  Both are 'top 10' bands for me, but I find myself listening to a lot more DT of late.  More influential than Dream Theater?  Most definitely. 

Just for fun, if I take my favorite lineup from both bands, here is how it breaks down for me.

Keys:  Rick Wakeman vs Kevin Moore
Guitars:  Steve Howe vs John Petrucci
Vocals:  Jon Anderson vs James Labrie  (tie)
Bass:  Chris Squire vs John Myung
Drums:  Bill Bruford vs Mike Portnoy

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Such a great band. Sound nothing like Dream Theater, and yet Dream Theater will always been completely in debt to Yes' sound. No need to compare the to.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:08:58 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:56:22 AM »
For me, the holy trinity of The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge are my favorites.  Amazing band.  I think Chris Squire has inspired me to pick up bass over the summer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
I should probably stay out of this one.  I'm pretty sure I've listened to more Yes than anyone else here, and this seems like the type of discussion "normal" fans would have.  But I cannot help myself.

Yes: better than Dream Theater.

In many ways, but not all.  DT has taken a "Yeslike" approach to songwriting and arranging and applied it to a much heavier style, mostly with good results.  Yes can rock out sometimes, but never to DT headbanging levels.  That's okay; it's not what they're going for.  But I don't have a problem with metal, and it's cool to be able to get heavy but still in a prog vein.

Personally I believe the holy quartet (Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer) to be the greatest string of albums any band's ever produced... ever. Close to the Edge is possible the single greatest pieces of music I've ever heard, personally. Even Yes's low points were better than most band's high points. The music was not only technically proficient, but at the same time as wowing listeners with skill, intense emotion was conveyed through strong melodies and harmonies, rhythms, and lyrics. What do you think?

You stopped one album too soon.  The sheer "prog pretentiousness" (which I actually mean in a good way) of combining pipes, choir, harp, bells, and tympani, and using each one correctly and effectively is a marvel.  Going for the One stands alone; there is nothing else like it in all of recorded music.  But I'm aware that most people prefer standard instrumentation.  (Gentle Giant would probably cause them seizures.)

Close to the Edge (the album) is probably my favorite Yes album, but the title track and "Awaken" duke it out for top song for me, and "Turn of the Century" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  The Yes main sequence for me consists of five albums, not four.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:46 PM »
Bump

Not too familiar with Yes, but i guess the "where to start" question has been answered in the first post here.  Anything else you can tell me about these guys?

Offline Basekick

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:24 PM »

That's not fair.  A band isn't made up as the sum of its parts, I mean, there's a reason why a lot of supergroups fail to make nearly the same level of music as they did with their previous bands.  And even though you sided with Yes...

Wait, you sided with Yes.  We're cool.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:09:45 PM »
How did I miss this thread?

I love Yes

@Jasc: get Close to the Edge for some hardcore prog. Also, Relayer and Fragile are really awesome

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
Anything else you can tell me about these guys?

In 40 years, no more than two Yes albums in a row have had the same lineup.  Despite all the changes, most people consider the "classic" lineup to be Jon Anderson (lead vocals), Chris Squire (bass), Steve Howe (guitar), Rick Wakeman (keyboards) and Alan White (drums).  Their first studio album together was Tales from Topographic Oceans, although White actually joined shortly before the Close to the Edge and plays on most of the first live album, Yessongs. Bill Bruford was the original drummer and was with them through Close to the Edge, so the classic lineup for everyone else has Bruford on drums rather than White.  Bruford left the band, on very short notice, to join King Crimson.

The 80's version of the band, led by Trevor Rabin on guitar and vocals, was not originally going to be called Yes.  It was in fact a new project from Rabin, Squire and White and was going to be called Cinema.  By time Anderson and (original Yes keyboardist) Tony Kaye were brought on board, the suits strongarmed Rabin into calling the band Yes, virtually guaranteeing it greater record sales.  They were correct, but Rabin has since expressed disappointment with himself for not standing up to the suits.  80's Yes has a fundamentally different sound, and despite the name Yes and the fact that everyone except Rabin was a former member of Yes, many Yesfans even consider this a different band.

Drama is the only Yes album without Jon Anderson on vocals.  Anderson and Wakeman had quit the band (again -- the band took a break the last time this happened) so Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes provide leads vocals and keyboards, respectively.  Some Yesfans deride this album as much because of the lack of Anderson and Wakeman as for the fact that their replacements had previously recorded together as The Buggles, known for the song "Video Killed the Radio Star".  I'm about as hardcore Yes as you can get, and I think Drama is an excellent album.

After checking out Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographics Oceans, Relayer, and Going for the One, go back to The Yes Album (the first album with Howe and the last one before Wakeman), then get Drama.  Get Tormato for completeness only; it is the only 70's Yes album not considered at least very good by most Yesfans.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:28:37 PM »
Drama is an EXCELLENT album.

Also The Yes Album is what I would recommend for a starting point. But you can't go wrong with any album from The Yes Album through Going For The One as a starting point. If you like epic prog pieces, go with Relayer, Close to the Edge, or Tales. Otherwise, Fragile, The Yes Album, and Going for the One are great picks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
Better than Dream Theater?  That's debatable.  Both are 'top 10' bands for me, but I find myself listening to a lot more DT of late.  More influential than Dream Theater?  Most definitely. 

Just for fun, if I take my favorite lineup from both bands, here is how it breaks down for me.

Keys: Jordan Rudess beats Wakeman
Guitars: Tie between Petrucci and Howe
Vocals: Labrie beats Anderson
Bass: Tie
Drums: Portnoy beats White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
Not too familiar with Yes, but i guess the "where to start" question has been answered in the first post here.  Anything else you can tell me about these guys?

Yes.  DO NOT ignore the Rabin years.  They get dogged a lot, but it is excellent pop rock, especially 90125; Big Generator isn't as good, but is still good.  Talk is more rocking and a bit harder, but is most excellent, too; I actually think that is their best Rabin-era CD.  

The obvious classics like The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge and Relayer all go without saying.  Tales from Topographic Oceans is quite a journey, and can be a bit cumbersome at times, but as a whole works pretty well.

DO NOT bother with Tormato and Union until you have heard pretty much everything else by them.

Anyway, I don't listen to Yes nearly as much as I used to (they were one of my most-listened-to bands for about a 10-year span, '93-'03), but they are still in my all-time top 10.  Truly one of the best bands of all time, and possibly the best progressive rock band ever.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
I really think Going for the One is the best Yes album.  Does anyone agree?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »

I do not. 

In fact, I think it is one of their most overrated CDs ever.  A lot of people lump it in with the other classics from the 70s, but I just don't see it.  Okay, "Awaken" and "Turn of the Century" are both damn good (although I think the former is a bit overrated by Yes fans everywhere), but the title cut is somewhat forgettable, and both "Wonderous Stories" and "Parallels" are kind of nice, but nothing too memorable or great. 

And the sound of it has always bothered me.  It is too high and tinny with not enough low end.  Chris Squire's fat bass tones are nowhere to be found, and this is where Steve Howe's clean electric tone started to get a little, um, sketchy. :lol

Sorry. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
From The Yes Album to Going For The One, they made a string of 6 really great albums! There are a couple songs on TYA and GFTO that some may find unlistenable, but to my ears, those six albums are stronger than some bands' entire catalogs (and sometimes even longer! lol)

Yes is probably (and always will be) in my top 10 bands of all time, and I think it's nearly time for me to revisit their works again as it's been awhile since I've cycled their music into my listening.

I recall getting Fragile, CTTE and TFTO as my first albums by them, and was completely blown away. The sprawling epics and the varied sounds from light acoustic guitars to heavy electric guitars and bass, as well as blazing keyboards and drums, really helped me define the type of music I have come to love and appreciate. Sure, some may see them as the epitome of excess and pretentious symphonic prog rock, but it's not like that was their focus - they were just writing the music they wanted to, and it just happened to be a bit long, and technically challenging, but each member of Yes has always had something great to put into the band, even those who were only a part of the band for one album!

Their later works even have their charms, and I occasionally listen to Talk and Keystudio, probably just as much as I've listened to The Yes Album or Fragile. Unfortunately, albums like Open Your Eyes and Big Generator don't get many spins from me (and come to think of it, I don't even recall listening to Open Your Eyes more than twice...)

At any rate, in their hey-day, Yes made some amazing music that has influenced dozens of bands that still continue the music of the progressive rock genre, including our beloved Dream Theater (who should really look into covering a Yes album! I vote Relayer!), as well as others like Spock's Beard (who did a nice studio-cover of "Southside Of The Sky") and The Flower Kings. And one other great thing about Yes is that their music is so varied (in many ways) that it shows in the fans because everyone has different favorite albums and songs, and because of that, the band has such a WIDE fanbase!!!

Here's to 40 years of great music from one of the greatest rock bands in existence!  :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:19:55 AM »
Fragile was my first Yes album and I still hold it as my favourite of theirs. Roundabout, Heart Of The Sunrise, South Side Of The Sky, We Have Heaven... great great songs. Close To The Edge (the track) is one of my favourite epics of all time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:12 AM »
The Yes Album is really good but Close To The Edge bores the crap out of me. Haven't really tried with any of the others.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
For me, the holy trinity of The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge are my favorites.  Amazing band.  I think Chris Squire has inspired me to pick up bass over the summer.

YES!! YES!!! YES!!! (Pun intended)  Those 3 albums to this day stand up the test of time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
As much as I love their classic albums, Union will always have a special place in my heart. It's the only Yes album my Dad had on CD (All the other stuff was on vinyl) so I when I started listening to Yes like 10 years ago Union was the one I listened to the most.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Interesting, I have it nearly opposite.
Wakeman is a better player than most, but I don't think he has the creative versatility of Moore.
I'd probably go with Petrucci, though I still have some questions about him.  One of the things I've always wondered is how Petrucci would do trying to play Clap or Mood for a Day.  Man, what I wouldn't give to see that happen.
I like Anderson better.
I think Myungs a better player, though I like Squire a great deal.  Squire might be more versatile.  Myung is the one who's never really expanded into different styles.
Honestly, I think I'd go with Bruford over Portnoy.  However, I say that considering Bruford's music with King Crimson, which might not be fair.  I suppose if I consider MP's Transatlantic drum work, I'd pick him.  Tough call. 

Under any circumstances I take Bruford over White. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
My wife plays soccer with Alan White's daughter.

That's really all I have to contribute to this thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »
Am I the only one who has The Yes Album at number 2 behind Close to the Edge?  Starship Trooper is just an amazing song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »

Is she hot?

(There, now you have more to contribute, if you so choose!)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Yes I like Yes.

Is she hot?

:biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »
Am I the only one who has The Yes Album at number 2 behind Close to the Edge?  Starship Trooper is just an amazing song.

No, you are not the only one.  That is probably my number 1 and 2, too.  :tup :tup

"Starship Trooper" is a top 5 Yes song for me, as is "Yours Is No Disgrace."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:45 AM »
I've heard the albums from The Yes Album to Tormato. Close to the edge is my favorite album, closely followed by Fragile and Tales. Relayer is strange to me, a bit too wild and chaotic, especially Sound chaser, but it's still OK. I want to check out Drama as soon as possible...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »
Relayer took me a lot longer to get into than the other 70's albums, because it's so different.  Not just due to Moraz on keys, but also Howe's use of the Telecaster and its raw, biting sound.  Also, Squire and White were really learning to work together in the studio by now and were super tight, which lays down a great foundation for Moraz and Howe to go crazy over.  It's an oddball in the catalog, and most Yes fans either really like it a lot, or have some trouble with it.  Not a lot of folks in the middle.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 07:23:39 AM »
Relayer took me a lot longer to get into than the other 70's albums, because it's so different.  Not just due to Moraz on keys, but also Howe's use of the Telecaster and its raw, biting sound.  Also, Squire and White were really learning to work together in the studio by now and were super tight, which lays down a great foundation for Moraz and Howe to go crazy over.  It's an oddball in the catalog, and most Yes fans either really like it a lot, or have some trouble with it.  Not a lot of folks in the middle.

I'll just add that Jon Anderson does some beautiful vocal work on Relayer.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »
"The Gates of Delirium" is arguably Yes' best song, and "To Be Over" is great, too, so those two songs alone make Relayer more than worthy.  "Sound Chaser" is definitely a bit out there, but it has some cool moments, even if it is somewhat of a clusteryouknowwhat. :lol

Mladen, Drama is good.  Not nearly as good as their classic material, or even their best stuff they did with Rabin, but still good.  "Machine Messiah" is an essential Yes song.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Probably my 2nd favorite classic prog band behind Rush.

Close to the Edge is my favorite, followed closely by The Yes Album. They put on a fantastic show when I saw them with the new singer and Oliver Wakeman.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
Mladen, Drama is good.  Not nearly as good as their classic material, or even their best stuff they did with Rabin, but still good.  "Machine Messiah" is an essential Yes song.
I didn't doubt it. Just waiting for some more spare time, and I'll give Drama a spin...

Not my favorite, but really good. The title track rocks hard, for some reason reminds me of early Rush, and it's arguably the best track right after the masterpiece that is Awaken. Wonderous Stories is also a quite nice track, but the remaining two songs aren't as memorable as the rest... The cover sucks, by the way. I've never been a fan of asses.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
The cover bugs the shit out of me, mostly because Going for the One is one of my favorites, but in high school, it's hard to justify having an album with a guy's naked ass prominently on the cover.  Between that and the singer's high-pitched "airy-fairy" voice... let's just say that a certain amount of teasing took place.  Shit like that matters a lot in junior high and high school.

The one thing that's cool about the cover is that it always reminded me of the line "lost in the city" from the song "Heart of the Sunrise" on Fragile.  Nakedness usually represents vulnerability and/or helplessness and all that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
Not my favorite, but really good. The title track rocks hard, for some reason reminds me of early Rush

That seems rather odd.  ???

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »

Is she hot?

* Looks over shoulder to see if the wife is around…

Yes, she is attractive.

It was funny the whole team was at lunch after a game (which I went to as well) when it came up and it was news to most of the team, and they were all “Yes.. What? Who? Is that a band? What kind of music do they play? Would I know anything by them?” It was interesting listening to her talk about it, because for her it was no big deal, he wasn’t a big rock star or anything like that, it was just her dad, and that was his job.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
That's cool.  Her dad plays in a band.  Lots of kids, and nowadays quite a few adults, have parents that play in a band.  Her dad's band just happens to be one of the greatest prog bands ever, but you're right; to her that doesn't matter.  He's just Dad to her.

A friend of mine's doctor was telling my friend one time that he used to play in a band.  One time in the waiting room, he noticed a promo picture of the band Starcastle on the wall.  Starcastle was not nearly as famous or successful as Yes, but they were a recording act and I even have some of their albums.  Anyway, their drummer is now a doctor in Illinois.  My friend was like "You said you were in a band, but I didn't realize you meant a real band."  To which the guy asked "Okay, what constitutes a real band?"