Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257393 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2030 on: September 08, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Unless you're talking about in 1979, Jon Anderson didn't quit, he was fired & replaced (without his knowledge until it was announced).

You couldn't tell that I was talking about the 2010-2011 mess?  Okay, you can call it being fired and replaced, but was being an asshole.  He kept them waiting for four years, they scrapped tour plans and plans to go back into the studio while they waited for him, then they found out that he was out touring his solo thing.  Then he cried foul when they found another singer and made an album.  How long are you supposed to wait for someone?  As far as they were concerned, he'd moved on.  He never bothered to tell them what was going on, then he whines that they never told him he'd been replaced?

Regardless of who was fired or quit or whatever, I find Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin nowadays much more interesting than the Howe, Downes, White incarnation. Both tour as nostalgia acts, playing their music from several years ago, but from what I've heard the performances of ARW don't suffer that much from old age.

I've heard that the AWR show is more interesting, because other than the Union tour, those particular three ex-Yesmen were never in the band at the same time.  They've reworked a lot of the songs, which naturally gives them a fresher feel and something different to check out.  Meanwhile official Yes is playing the same songs, same arrangements, only slower and not as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2031 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »
Unless you're talking about in 1979, Jon Anderson didn't quit, he was fired & replaced (without his knowledge until it was announced).

You couldn't tell that I was talking about the 2010-2011 mess?  Okay, you can call it being fired and replaced, but was being an asshole.  He kept them waiting for four years, they scrapped tour plans and plans to go back into the studio while they waited for him, then they found out that he was out touring his solo thing.  Then he cried foul when they found another singer and made an album.  How long are you supposed to wait for someone?  As far as they were concerned, he'd moved on.  He never bothered to tell them what was going on, then he whines that they never told him he'd been replaced?

And thus my comment about "fucking quit" being overrated as a factor.  NONE of these things are as cut and dry as we'd like them to be (and thus the existence of forums like this!).   If nothing else, I think we often forget that for bands like Yes, there are THOUSANDS of dollars at stake; nothing happens randomly, and nothing happens in a vacuum.   Chris was a strong man, and had his way of doing things, but if he had showed anything in the 45 +/- years he led Yes, it's that there was always an open door, and always a chance to get back into the band if that was your desire.   Jon clearly didn't.  He may not have outright "quit", but if you effectively force the hand of the rest of the guys (read:  Squire, and to a lesser degree, White), it ends up in the same place.   

I will say this, though:  I think a Yes ship captained by Squire is a different animal than a Yes ship captained by Steve Howe, and for the better.   Howe comes off as a very bitter, very petty man at times, in a way that Squire never did.  That's not at all good for a band that is as much a community as it is anything else.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2032 on: September 08, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
That much is probably true, that he chose to do his solo stuff because he wasn't up to the Yes touring schedule after his illness.

The problem is that he kept the rest of Yes "on hold" the whole time.  They waited a while, checked back with him, he was still recovering, so they waited a while longer, etc.  A few years went by with no word from him, then they hear that he's out there touring.  Small or large tour, you don't exactly do that if you're supposedly recovering from an illness in order to get back with your main band.  Knowing Yes, there was probably some misunderstanding involved, but at the very least, he could've let them know what was going on.

That's messed up. I didn't realize they waited that long for him to return.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2033 on: September 09, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Very good points on this discussion, enjoying this . Another current factor is that now that Squire is deceased, Anderson is the sole original member in this mix now. Does that not give him some more leeway in the rights to calling ARW YES. It's an interesting situation, and he has two yes members with him that were driving forces behind Yes's most revered and commercially successful era's. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2034 on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
 So sad to hear about Steve Howe's son  suddenly passing away.  :-[
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2035 on: September 11, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
WHAT?! :omg: I hadn't heard!

:'(

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2036 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Posted to their official Facebook page. 

Due to the tragic, unexpected death of guitarist Steve Howe’s beloved younger son, Virgil, YES regrettably announces that the remaining dates of their Yestival Tour have been cancelled.
Ticket refunds for the affected tour dates (in Moorhead, Cedar Rapids, London, Rochester, Boston and Huntington) will be available at point of purchase.
YES — Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood — want to thank all their fans for their support and understanding at this time.
Steve Howe and family ask for their privacy to be respected during this difficult time.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2037 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
so sad.

Just noticed how among Virgil's credits, the THEME for BETTER CALL SAUL.

Maybe they'll dedicate something to him in the credits next season.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2038 on: September 18, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
Very sad news.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2039 on: November 29, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
Felt the need to watch this again and figured someone else might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1blpCcyxAFI

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2040 on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »
This Chris Squire video from 1987 is great on it's own merits but doesn't anyone recognize the tune at 27:41 of this video? Can't be the first one to notice the similarity to State Of Grace (Liquid Tension Experiment) or vice-versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprcYnffK_o

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2041 on: April 02, 2018, 03:45:53 AM »
Yes rereleased Fly From Here with Trevor Horn on vocals and expanded it a little. There's a new song, the FULL Hour Of Need, and a few different interludes on the title suite. Benoit sounded a lot like Trevor, and to a certain extend  think this is pretty disrespectful to Benoit. But I like the new version better. I will wait for the vinyl and probably buy it. Until then it's on YouTube (hope it's not forbidden so say this here).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2042 on: April 02, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »
Yes rereleased Fly From Here with Trevor Horn on vocals and expanded it a little. There's a new song, the FULL Hour Of Need, and a few different interludes on the title suite. Benoit sounded a lot like Trevor, and to a certain extend  think this is pretty disrespectful to Benoit. But I like the new version better. I will wait for the vinyl and probably buy it. Until then it's on YouTube (hope it's not forbidden so say this here).

The video's taken down apparently. & other than that I legitimately can't find where I can buy or listen to it. :huh:

Edit: seems like it's only available on PledgeMusic? Whose idea was that?  :facepalm:

Double-Edit: I found a download link don't kill me mods & wow, this is... not good... All the emotion is drained from the vocals & they lack the charisma that Benoit had on the original. They also cut the outros from the FFH suite tracks, which makes it somehow feel even more disjointed & unfocussed than the original (for the record, I love the original album, but I can totally understand why they originally chose to split it up). Oh yeah, & the new track is horrible. Howe's vocals sound totally dead inside & it's like he can't hit any note above a C0, which - coupled with some dorky synth sounds, totally forgettable guitars & drums, & yeah, it's not worth the new purchase. The full Hour Of Need is disjointed as hell & makes no sense from a pacing standpoint. & other than that, there's not a whole lot that sets this apart from the original, so I'd probably just stick with the original. Don't waste your money. Massive dissapointment from someone who absolutely adored the original FFH.  :tdwn
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:17:17 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2043 on: April 02, 2018, 04:23:32 AM »
& while we're on the topic of FFH, I still don't understand how TMYAWMTB made it onto the album, considering only 1/3 of it was written by a Yes member, & it doesn't even have Benoit David on vocals. Minor pet peeve, but I think the original would be way better if that song was omitted. & maybe also cut the overture too. Then it'd be a solid 9 song, 40 minute album - just like old times.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2044 on: April 02, 2018, 06:09:51 AM »
The Overture??? The Overture is one of the best tracks this mediocre album has to offer :D

I don't have FFH on vinyl and it's very expensive to get. So I think I will get this one since I like Horns vocals (always have).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2045 on: April 02, 2018, 06:28:21 AM »
The Overture??? The Overture is one of the best tracks this mediocre album has to offer :D

Well considering it's almost the exact same as Madman At The Screens, & doesn't make sense as an opener at all, yeah, I'd say cut it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2046 on: April 10, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »
I saw on Facebook that Yes announced their 50th anniversary tour - the version featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman.

Should be amusing when the Steve Howe version announces theirs as well.

If I had to go to one of them, there is no question I would go to the ARW show.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2047 on: April 11, 2018, 03:10:42 AM »
I saw on Facebook that Yes announced their 50th anniversary tour - the version featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman.

I've seen Yes with Chris and Benoit. Also I saw ARW last year at the Loreley.
Trust me, you made the right choice  ;)
Steve is still awesome, but the band just drags. Anderson and Wakeman have not lost any of their touch and abilities. I never was a fan of Rabin, but he's a decent guitarist. Plus, ARW have a good drummer.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2048 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
Cool to know! I'm very anxious for the Yes fet ARW album, but it seems that only at the end of this year or the begginning of the next, according to the same Facebook post. Also glad to know that there will be a live CD/DVD in august/setember taken from a 2017 show :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2049 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
I believe in an album by ARW when I hold it in my hands. Yes have the tendency to announce stuff and never go through with it because someone stole another one’s cucumber and it results in a huge fight and possible lawsuit. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2050 on: April 11, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
They didn’t  announce the album in 2016 to be released at the end of year or the beginning of the next? :P
I don’t know, in the case of this album, it seems that it ‘s maybe Rabin’s fault, just because I got the impression that he is very meticulous in making any album and I guess it’s not a bad thing.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »
I believe in an album by ARW when I hold it in my hands. Yes have the tendency to announce stuff and never go through with it because someone stole another one’s cucumber and it results in a huge fight and possible lawsuit.

HAHAHA.  That about sums it up, no?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2052 on: April 11, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Fritzinger. I saw the Jon Davison version of Yes a few times (with Geoffry Downs on keys) and thought they were very good. However a ton of that was based on the fact that Squire was the man. Now that he's gone it's going to be a pretty sorry deal. They're just sad old men doing it for cash now (Alan White in particular seems like he just doesn't want to be there without his friend). The ARW show that I saw was pretty good, and they really seemed to enjoy themselves (well, two of them--Wakeman always looks bored). They're not a band that's been doing this stuff for 40 years, and it showed, but it was still solid and enjoyable. I'd make a point to see the ARW version if we were in the same town. I've blown off the Howe/Davison version the last couple of times they were in Dallas and will the next time.

I'm actually kind of surprised that White hasn't jumped ship to the ARW camp. Squire's gone and Howe is not a pleasant man to be around. I have to wonder if being the steadiest member of the band all of this time has something to do with it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2053 on: April 11, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
I did chuckle at the blurb about how this album will be the first Yes album to have both Rabin and Wakeman in 28 years.  Oh yeah, what was the name of that album again..."

Union.

I am sure Rick Wakeman is dying to tell us again how much he loved that record. :lol :lol

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2054 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Fritzinger. I saw the Jon Davison version of Yes a few times (with Geoffry Downs on keys) and thought they were very good. However a ton of that was based on the fact that Squire was the man. Now that he's gone it's going to be a pretty sorry deal. They're just sad old men doing it for cash now (Alan White in particular seems like he just doesn't want to be there without his friend). The ARW show that I saw was pretty good, and they really seemed to enjoy themselves (well, two of them--Wakeman always looks bored). They're not a band that's been doing this stuff for 40 years, and it showed, but it was still solid and enjoyable. I'd make a point to see the ARW version if we were in the same town. I've blown off the Howe/Davison version the last couple of times they were in Dallas and will the next time.

I'm actually kind of surprised that White hasn't jumped ship to the ARW camp. Squire's gone and Howe is not a pleasant man to be around. I have to wonder if being the steadiest member of the band all of this time has something to do with it.

Regarding your last paragraph about Alan White. Ya never know how long Wakeman will keep an interest in playing this stuff, and likewise Rabin could also tire of it after the next go round. I'm sure Howe has drilled it in Alan's head that the official Yes is the band to stick with because the other guys are just a short duration project and one that will no doubt  splinter and dissolve in the next two years. And I strongly believe they will wait until that happens before doing their Farewell Tour. That is my thinking.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2055 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:30 PM »

I *just* found out about this release, and yeah, as a person who's a big fan of the band Mystery's work, I find the whole idea a complete slap in the face to Benoit David. Rubs me the wrong way completely.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2056 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
I thought at first, too, but then I read that Benoit David was cool with it and will still receive royalties off of the sales of the new release, so not a big deal. Still not sure why they felt the need to redo such a blah record.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2057 on: April 17, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »
Okay, that does ease me a bit. I like the guy, felt this was a disrespectful move, but if he's okay with it and still getting money off it, I'm good.

I really really like "We Can Fly", "Sad Night At The Airfield" "Madman At The Screens" and "Into The Storm", but yeah, the rest of FFH does pretty much nothing for me. It's almost half a great record while holding a lot of dead weight on it.

I listened to some samples of this new version. There are bits I like, but at some points the music seems like it's going over the top compared to the original. I think Chris' chunky bass is a lot more pronounced here, which I enjoy. Don't know if I'd ever buy this, though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2058 on: April 17, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
Honestly, I’m still skeptical.   I mean, what else is Benoit going to say?   You’re dealing in an industry where it is a general unspoken rule that everyone always speaks nice about each other publicly unless you A) are too big to worry about backlash or b) don’t care about dealing with any backlash which will most likely effect your future of finding work elsewhere.   

Taking the high road is usually best for your long term income in this business.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: April 18, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
Honestly, I’m still skeptical.   I mean, what else is Benoit going to say?   You’re dealing in an industry where it is a general unspoken rule that everyone always speaks nice about each other publicly unless you A) are too big to worry about backlash or b) don’t care about dealing with any backlash which will most likely effect your future of finding work elsewhere.   

Taking the high road is usually best for your long term income in this business.

Um, you haven't been paying attention to anything said in the Yes, Kiss, Van Halen or Sons of Apollo camps, have you?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »
You’re dealing in an industry where it is a general unspoken rule that everyone always speaks nice about each other publicly...

Um, you haven't been paying attention to anything said in the Yes, Kiss, Van Halen or Sons of Apollo camps, have you?

Aren't most rap artists' careers built on not saying nice things about other artists?

Serious question for Yes fans.... is it hard to be a Yes fan with all the line-up changes? What I mean is, I know at the end of the day it's all about the music. But is it harder to identify with the band as a group of individuals if those individuals keep changing, than it is with a band like Metallica who have had 2 member changes since their first album over 30 years ago?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2061 on: April 18, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
I've liked Fly from here since it came out. The epic is filled to the brim with fantastic themes and melodies. The song Chris sings on also has a special vibe and some gorgeous guitar work by Steve Howe, and even though Into the storm initially sounded like Yes by numbers, it still kicks ass. The album is probably my favorite Yes release of this centuruy.

That being said, I'm not particularly interested in the new version. No need to mess with an already good album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2062 on: April 18, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
You’re dealing in an industry where it is a general unspoken rule that everyone always speaks nice about each other publicly...

Aren't most rap artists' careers built on not saying nice things about other artists?

Serious question for Yes fans.... is it hard to be a Yes fan with all the line-up changes? What I mean is, I know at the end of the day it's all about the music. But is it harder to identify with the band as a group of individuals if those individuals keep changing, than it is with a band like Metallica who have had 2 member changes since their first album over 30 years ago?

Yes. Especially when the current line up (and the one with Chris) has not produced any good music. There, I said it, Heaven & Earth sucks. I would be fine if the band could still play awesome live OR made good studio albums. But with both not being the case, I always wondered, what WOULD happen if, they brought back Jon (the real Jon), Rick or Patrick and maybe Bill, since Alan's drums are just not good anymore. And Chris, but we all know that's not possible.
I am very excited for an ARW album though if it ever happens. But what I would love most is another Union, BUT with both bands making music TOGETHER.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2063 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
I've got no problem with the line-up changes per se, as long as the end result is good. But the last couple of records aren't that good. The question is, how much the different musicians are responsible for the mediocre song writing.

I've come to believe that they mostly just lost it, that their time is past and their creativity is mostly gone, no matter who is in Yes. And I still don't believe that ARW will put out original music, and even if they do, if it is really good.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
No disrespect to Fritzinger, with whom I usually agree, but I don't really have a problem with the lineup changes.   Maybe it's because  I've been spoiled because  Chris  has been there since Day One, and I always thought he was sort of the soul of the band.  It took me:

- 4 seconds to get over Peter Banks being gone;
- 9 seconds to get over Tony Kaye;
- 15 seconds to get over Bill Bruford;
- 20 minutes to get over Wakeman the first time;
- 2 seconds to get over Patrick Moraz;
- 5 minutes to get over Howe;

From that point on it got to be 0 seconds for everyone.  That's not to say that all are equal or interchangeable.  "Open Your Eyes" is an embarrassment for a band of the caliber of Yes, and I don't think Heaven and Earth is that far behind (though the recent live disks with the entire albums are pretty good).