Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257386 times)

Offline njfirefighter

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1995 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
Another box set package of theirs I have that is pretty good is "The Word Is Live" a three disc live package put out by Rhino in 2005. This one has some more obscure stuff.

Disc 1.
Then (BBC 1970)
For Everyone (BBC 1970)
Astral Traveler (Gothenburg 1971)
Everydays (Gothenburg 1971)
Yours Is No Disgrace (London 71)
 I've Seen All Good People (London 71)
America (London 71)
It's love (London 71)

Disc 2.
Apocalypse (Detroit 76)
Siberian Khatru (Detroit 76)
Sound Chaser (Detroit 76)
Sweet Dreams (London 75)
Future Times/Rejoice (Oakland 78)
Circus of Heaven (Oakland 78)
The Big Medley (Time and a word, Long Distance runaround, Survival, The Fish, Perpetual Change and Soon)- Inglewood 78
Hello Chicago (Chicago 79)
Roundabout (Chicago 79)

Disc 3.
Heart of the Sunrise (Oakland 78)
Awaken (Chicago 79)
Go Through This (NY 1980)
We Can Fly From Here (NY 1980)
Tempus Fugit (NY 1980)
Rhythm of Love (Houston 88)
Hold On (Houston 88)
Shoot High, Aim Low (Houston 88)
Make It Easy/Owner of a Lonely Heart (Houston 88)

Pretty cool package and some gathered up lesser available songs on it. I bought it mainly for the 78-80 era stuff. comes in a nice paperback sized hardcover package with a bound inner booklet with great pictures.   

I like this box, but I'm always listening to disc three way more than the rest and I've been known to continually hit the repeat button on Shoot High, Aim Low. Killer version that.

Yeah was very cool to have that included, my favorite song on Big Generator. Funny, I remember that tour, that was a strange Yes tour. They played the Spectrum in Philly and played Hendrix's Hey Joe I believe it was one of the encores. A lot of empty seats too, I believe each tour thereafter they downsized to smaller venues. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1996 on: August 10, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
Another box set package of theirs I have that is pretty good is "The Word Is Live" a three disc live package put out by Rhino in 2005. This one has some more obscure stuff.

Disc 1.
Then (BBC 1970)
For Everyone (BBC 1970)
Astral Traveler (Gothenburg 1971)
Everydays (Gothenburg 1971)
Yours Is No Disgrace (London 71)
 I've Seen All Good People (London 71)
America (London 71)
It's love (London 71)

Disc 2.
Apocalypse (Detroit 76)
Siberian Khatru (Detroit 76)
Sound Chaser (Detroit 76)
Sweet Dreams (London 75)
Future Times/Rejoice (Oakland 78)
Circus of Heaven (Oakland 78)
The Big Medley (Time and a word, Long Distance runaround, Survival, The Fish, Perpetual Change and Soon)- Inglewood 78
Hello Chicago (Chicago 79)
Roundabout (Chicago 79)

Disc 3.
Heart of the Sunrise (Oakland 78)
Awaken (Chicago 79)
Go Through This (NY 1980)
We Can Fly From Here (NY 1980)
Tempus Fugit (NY 1980)
Rhythm of Love (Houston 88)
Hold On (Houston 88)
Shoot High, Aim Low (Houston 88)
Make It Easy/Owner of a Lonely Heart (Houston 88)

Pretty cool package and some gathered up lesser available songs on it. I bought it mainly for the 78-80 era stuff. comes in a nice paperback sized hardcover package with a bound inner booklet with great pictures.   

I like this box, but I'm always listening to disc three way more than the rest and I've been known to continually hit the repeat button on Shoot High, Aim Low. Killer version that.

Yeah was very cool to have that included, my favorite song on Big Generator. Funny, I remember that tour, that was a strange Yes tour. They played the Spectrum in Philly and played Hendrix's Hey Joe I believe it was one of the encores. A lot of empty seats too, I believe each tour thereafter they downsized to smaller venues.

I missed them that tour because Rush's Hold Your Fire Tour was around the same time and I didn't have any money left.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1997 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »
So my little sister is seeing YES (Howe/Sherwood/Davison) tonight.. along with Carl Palmer opening. She MET Carl Palmer.

When the hell did my sister become a YES fan?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1998 on: August 30, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »
Don't question, just go with it.  It is a good thing and you should be happy for her. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1999 on: August 30, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
I'm more interested in when she became friends with Carl Palmer.  Sounds like there's a better story there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:12 PM »
Her best friend (who is actually really cute... which is a nice plus) is a huge prog fan apparently. Genesis. YES (she saw Anderson Wakeman Rabin recently), ELP, etc... and is getting my sister into it.

WIN.

I guess they did a meet and greet ? Or it was just an informal chance. My sister met Carl Palmer and Todd Rudgren. Her friend got to chat with Billy Sherwood.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Her best friend (who is actually really cute... which is a nice plus) is a huge prog fan apparently. Genesis. YES (she saw Anderson Wakeman Rabin recently), ELP, etc... and is getting my sister into it.

WIN.

I guess they did a meet and greet ? Or it was just an informal chance. My sister met Carl Palmer and Todd Rudgren. Her friend got to chat with Billy Sherwood.

Seems like they like older, doughy guys with questionable taste in music...  I'll PM you my number!   :)   

(I'm kidding, of course). 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
:lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2003 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
Anyone know of a good quality live version of Close to the Edge?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2004 on: August 30, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »
Since you're asking, I'm assuming you don't consider the Yessongs version to be "good quality".  That's understandable.  A lot of people have trouble with the sound quality of that album, but the performances themselves are absolutely smoking.  That's still my favorite live version of the song.

In terms of sound quality, the best ones are in the Progeny set.  Soundboard recordings from the original tour.

If you're not in a position to flip for a 14-disc set, the next best version IMO is the ABWH version on An Evening of Yes Music Plus.  Bruford was using his electronic drums at the time, so that could be an issue.  Again, I try to listen to the musical performance itself, but it's tougher here because it's so clear.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2005 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
I like to watch as well as listen, I'm very partial to this excellent show and version.  :hefdaddy

Live at the Rainbow Theatre 1972 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLvReUNcbE

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2006 on: August 30, 2017, 11:57:14 PM »
I don't mind the sound of Yessongs and the performance is top notch.

The ABWH version is good but (imo) lacks a little bit in the bass department due to Tony Levin being ill and Jeff Berlin stepping in on short notice. And of course Chris Squire not being part of it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
I know I'm a minority here, and I'm generally a huge fan of Tony Levin, but ABWH suffers GREATLY in terms of the lack of Chris Squire.   You can't just fill in a "talented bassist" and cover the ground that Squire does.   Stick with the Yessongs/Progeny versions, if you're asking me.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2008 on: August 31, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
I would absolutely agree. Any variation of Yes without Squire is very noticeably lacking. Not just because of his dominant bass playing but also his outstanding backing vocals, which were a VERY important part of Yes's sound and depth. He along with Wakeman, were always my favorite members of Yes through the years, which is why I rank Going For The One and Tormato as high as I do. Drama, another favorite of mine was definitely driven by Squire. He is so much of a loss to Yes's sound, that I probably will hold my memories dear and never bother to see the band live again. Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman's version on the other hand I would love to check out at least once, one because I'm a major Wakeman fan and two because it has been years since I've seen Anderson.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
I would absolutely agree. Any variation of Yes without Squire is very noticeably lacking. Not just because of his dominant bass playing but also his outstanding backing vocals, which were a VERY important part of Yes's sound and depth. He along with Wakeman, were always my favorite members of Yes through the years, which is why I rank Going For The One and Tormato as high as I do. Drama, another favorite of mine was definitely driven by Squire. He is so much of a loss to Yes's sound, that I probably will hold my memories dear and never bother to see the band live again. Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman's version on the other hand I would love to check out at least once, one because I'm a major Wakeman fan and two because it has been years since I've seen Anderson.

Going For The One is my favorite record of all time, by any band.

I have seen Yes too many times to count and I will not be seeing the "Howe-version" again.  No interest.

I will go see AWR, if only to see Trevor play guitar with Rick, but I'm under no illusions that it is "Yes". 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2010 on: August 31, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry, I should've said that I don't like the sound of Yessongs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2011 on: September 03, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
Since you're asking, I'm assuming you don't consider the Yessongs version to be "good quality".  That's understandable.  A lot of people have trouble with the sound quality of that album, but the performances themselves are absolutely smoking.  That's still my favorite live version of the song.

In terms of sound quality, the best ones are in the Progeny set.  Soundboard recordings from the original tour.

If you're not in a position to flip for a 14-disc set, the next best version IMO is the ABWH version on An Evening of Yes Music Plus.  Bruford was using his electronic drums at the time, so that could be an issue.  Again, I try to listen to the musical performance itself, but it's tougher here because it's so clear.

Gone over this before, but I'm one of the ones who doesn't listen to Yessongs a lot despite the amazing set. That album turned be off of live Yes for a very long time. Fortunately that Progeny set me straight on live Yes from that period. Even the first two discs of the Word Is Live I don't listen to much.

Love that Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe live album though. Aside from those electronic drums (minor issue I guess), the music on that album just sings to me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2012 on: September 03, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
I don't mind the sound of Yessongs and the performance is top notch.

The ABWH version is good but (imo) lacks a little bit in the bass department due to Tony Levin being ill and Jeff Berlin stepping in on short notice. And of course Chris Squire not being part of it.

I'm a huge fan of Levin and Berlin. Berlin can flat out play but I don't think this was an optimal situation for him. He's never been what I'd consider to be a "flashy" bass player.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2013 on: September 05, 2017, 04:01:35 AM »
Apparently YES will do a 50 anniversary tour next year and release a live album covering their last tour called Topographic Drama later this year.
Well... there goes the dream of ARW and Yes reuniting for their 50th anniversary for a giant tour.

Here's the full statement from their Facebook page. Yes news are getting less exciting each time.

YES ANNOUNCES #YES50 - 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR
The year 2018 marks half a century since the formation of the legendary group YES, one of the biggest bands in prog-rock history and true pioneers of the genre. To celebrate this remarkable milestone YES will embark on a 10-date UK tour in March 2018 - #YES50.
On this not-to-be-missed tour, YES [Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood] will feature not only many of the band’s classic hits, but performances of Sides 1 and 4 and an excerpt from Side 3 of their 1973 album, 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', which was the first YES album to top the UK Album Charts. YES will also play some European shows. More dates will be announced soon on yesworld.com.
50TH ANNIVERSARY FAN CONVENTION
The final weekend of the UK Tour at the London Palladium on 24th and 25th March will include a 50th Anniversary Fan Convention – more details of the Anniversary Celebrations will be announced soon.
NEW ROGER DEAN 'CLOSE TO THE EDGE' PAINTINGS
Roger Dean (whose fantastical landscapes and logos have become synonymous with the band’s albums) will unveil new “Close To The Edge” paintings at the Palladium on March 25th.
TOPOGRAPHIC DRAMA – LIVE ACROSS AMERICA
YES, deservedly inducted into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame in April 2017, will release “Topographic Drama – Live Across America”, a new live album, planned for later in the year, recorded during their US 2016/17 tours.
50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR - QUOTES
Talking about their 50th Anniversary, Steve Howe said: “We want to mark this anniversary with a tour that encompasses some of our best loved work - we want to play things we enjoy, maybe songs we haven’t done in a while.”
Geoff Downes adds: “I feel enormously privileged be a part of the legacy of the incredible and unique line of musicians in YES. The band has always remained fresh and inventive throughout its 50-year history, and created an amazing catalogue of music that has inspired millions from all generations."
Alan White says: "Reflecting on the past 46 years that I've devoted my life to playing YES music, it's been an interesting journey and a true labour of love. I've always believed in the power of music and the band's recent induction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and our Grammy (awarded in 1985) are testament to the longevity of influence our music has had through the years. I'm extremely grateful to continue to be performing on stages for our dedicated fans and look forward to our 50th Anniversary performing together in 2018. It's been a great ride!!"
#YES50 TOUR DATES - 2018 (UK & Europe)
Tue 13th March - Bristol Colston Hall
Wed 14th March - Sheffield City Hall
Fri 16th March - Glasgow SEC Armadillo
Sat 17th March - Manchester Bridgewater Hall
Sun 18th March - Gateshead Sage
Tue 20th March - Birmingham Symphony Hall
Wed 21st March - Brighton Centre
Fri 23rd March - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
Sat 24th March - London Palladium
Sun 25th March - London Palladium
Tue 27th March - Tilburg 013
Wed 28th March - Antwerp De Roma
Fri 30th March - Paris Olympia
UK Tickets onsale Friday 8th September from 10.00am.
Available from BookingsDirect.com 24hr Ticket Hotline 0844 249 2222 (subject to fees).
Also available from venue box offices and select authorised ticket agencies.
Front row, Meet & Greet & VIP packages are available from yesworld.com
There is no support. Please see ticket for start time.
European Dates to be announced soon at yesworld.com
ABOUT YES:
YES is:
• Steve Howe: guitars, backing vocals (1970 –1981, 1990–1992, 1995–present)
• Alan White: drums, percussion (1972 – present)
• Geoff Downes: keyboards (1980–1981, 2011–present)
• Billy Sherwood: guitar, backing vocals ((1994, 1997–2000), bass guitar, backing vocals (2015–present)
• Jon Davison: lead vocals, acoustic guitar (2012–present)
Founded in 1968 by the late and much-missed Chris Squire and Jon Anderson, Grammy-award winning recording artist YES has created some of the most important and influential music in rock history, including iconic pieces such as 'Roundabout', 'Close to the Edge', 'I’ve Seen All Good People', 'Starship Trooper' and countless others. The band’s albums, including Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For the One and 90125, have been certified multi-platinum, double-platinum, platinum, and more by the RIAA, selling over 50 million records during the band’s long and successful career that has so far spanned six decades. YES is undeniably one of the world’s all time most influential, ground-breaking, respected and loved progressive rock bands.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: September 05, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
Why does that do absolutely nothing for me?  (And this a band I've seen as much as any other, "Going For The One" is my favorite album of all time, and I even LIKED Tomato, and (most of) Onion).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2015 on: September 05, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
For me, it's because almost none of the original players are out there playing it.  Steve and Alan are the only ones left who were on Tales, and Geoff was on Drama, but without the original vocalists and the amazing Chris Squire, it will obviously not be the same as if you'd seen the original lineup back in the day, or even now.

I won't go as far as some who've called the current lineup "a Yes cover band" because that's not only stupid and disrespectful, it's just plain inaccurate.  This is the official lineup of the band, today, like it or not.  But I have little hope that they can recapture the magic.

My feeling is:  If you're a big fan of the music itself, and the band itself, by all means go; you'll probably enjoy it.  I don't think you can witness a live performance by five musicians of this caliber playing music at this level and not come away impressed.  But for me, the attraction would be seeing Jon Anderson or Trevor Horn singing, or Rick Wakeman on keys (on Tales), not just whoever's in the band these days.  And again, Chris is absent either way, which cannot be helped, but that's pretty much the deal-breaker for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2016 on: September 06, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
The Masterworks Tour was the last time I was interested in live Yes and it has nothing to do with who is and who isn't in the band.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2017 on: September 06, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
Why does that do absolutely nothing for me?  (And this a band I've seen as much as any other, "Going For The One" is my favorite album of all time, and I even LIKED Tomato, and (most of) Onion).

huh, what year was Onion released?  :lol :biggrin:

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2018 on: September 06, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
For me, it's because almost none of the original players are out there playing it.  Steve and Alan are the only ones left who were on Tales, and Geoff was on Drama, but without the original vocalists and the amazing Chris Squire, it will obviously not be the same as if you'd seen the original lineup back in the day, or even now.

I won't go as far as some who've called the current lineup "a Yes cover band" because that's not only stupid and disrespectful, it's just plain inaccurate.  This is the official lineup of the band, today, like it or not.  But I have little hope that they can recapture the magic.

My feeling is:  If you're a big fan of the music itself, and the band itself, by all means go; you'll probably enjoy it.  I don't think you can witness a live performance by five musicians of this caliber playing music at this level and not come away impressed.  But for me, the attraction would be seeing Jon Anderson or Trevor Horn singing, or Rick Wakeman on keys (on Tales), not just whoever's in the band these days.  And again, Chris is absent either way, which cannot be helped, but that's pretty much the deal-breaker for me.

Pretty much agree with everything stated above. The Squire factor really weighs hard on my lack of interest. The simple addition of Wakeman (and that doesn't mean Downes would have to go, duties could be split, kinda like the Union tour) would have made this much more enticing. Ideally I would have liked to see a merge of the two current touring bands of Yes members.

Actually What the hell, why not do the whole Union thing all over again, the members are getting pretty up there in age and it's been what? twenty six years or something like that since the Union tour. Bring back Kaye, Moraz, Horn, whoever the hell wanted to participate of living band members. Make it a three hour show with an intermission and rotate people in and out playing a wide ranging diverse set list encompassing the whole career. I think for a 50th Anniversary celebration that would have been cool as shit. So that ball has been dropped, pending some 11th hour change of plans. Maybe when the time comes (and it probably won't be long) they could still pull something like that off for a farewell tour. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2019 on: September 06, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
Never say never, but right now the feelings between certain members of the band and certain ex-members of the band are so bad that I really do not think it will happen.  Jon Anderson has said many times that he would love to be back in Yes, but his actions on many occasions prove otherwise.  Wakeman will only play in Yes if he feels like it and it's convenient for him, and also only if Jon is in the band.  Rabin just isn't that invested; he moved on a long time ago, but likes playing the music, so why not?  AWR has managed to bill themselves "Yes Featuring Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabin" because they consider themselves the "real" Yes, despite all three of them not being members of the official Yes because they all fucking quit, some of them multiple times.

Meanwhile, the actual official band Yes has tried to take the high road, but it's tough when three ex-members get together and start calling themselves Yes and basically dare them to take legal action.  Howe and White won't do that.  They still would rather all get along, but they won't kick Davison and Downes out of the band just so Anderson and Wakeman can come back.

Now that he's gone, it's become more clear that not only was Chris Squire the keeper of the flame, but literally the one who kept the band together.  That is, his calming influence is what kept them from tearing each other apart.  With his passing, there really doesn't seem to be much hope of a nice, happy re-union.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: September 07, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »
Orbert, none of this is against you, per se, but as a general comment, I don't quite accept the "they quit" argument.   Maybe it's because I was in a marriage, and I felt a long time that it was my obligation, my DUTY to make it work, and once I got out I realized that literally NOTHING I could have done would have made it work, I'm sensitive to the idea that some of these people shouldn't be penalized - branded, really - for all eternity by the "THEY FUCKING QUIT" label.  Why should a guy like Trevor Rabin, a creative, self-sufficient musician, subject himself to the shit-show that was Yes following the Talk record?   He had a vocalist that didn't get along with his bandleader, he had a keyboard player that wouldn't/couldn't play what was asked of him (requiring Trevor to essentially play all the keys parts as well) and a band leader that, at the time, was widely understood to be in the thralls of a pretty impressive - even by rock and roll standards - affair with the cocaine.   

Steve Howe, I guess it could be said, HASN'T quit, but his output has noticeably suffered.  The recent albums are not at all stylistically what could be expected of Yes as a band and Howe as a player, and having seen him live now twice since Anderson left Yes (including once with Asia), one of the truly, all time greats has been phoning it in, in my opinion.  Tempos are down, arrangements are simplified, and I've heard more mistakes from him in two shows than I've heard in 30 years of live stuff before. 

Creative, artistic musicians should not be obligated to subsume that creativity to some arbitrary standard of "I quit".  It's not and never is that simple.  (And yes, I fully am aware of the irony of discussing the importance of a band member supposedly "quitting" on a Dream Theater fan forum). 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2021 on: September 07, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »
It's more complicated than that, I admit.  If a member gets sick and can't tour and/or can't record the new album, usually it's not a huge deal for the band to wait until he gets better.  (The obvious exception is Styx, which has already been discussed to death).  But if the rest of the band waits for him to get better, decides not to tour, and goes back to their various side projects and other endeavors, then later finds out that the guy they're waiting for has actually gone out on a solo tour in the meantime, then I feel they have every right to fire his ass.  In the case of Yes, it wasn't firing so much as them deciding to move on without him.  Either Jon Anderson wasn't as sick as he'd let on, or got better but decided not to contact the rest of Yes, even though last he knew, they were all waiting for him.  So I'm not sure what you'd call that, but it seemed obvious that Yes was not his top priority.  And he did outright quit the band after Tormato, as did Wakeman, though that was like the third time Wakeman had left anyway.  So that's two guys who've left Yes when they just didn't feel like being in it, and now are saying "But we are the real Yes!"  I think that's simply crap.

Rabin I'll give you.  He didn't quit so much as decide not to fight about it when the band chose to carry on without him.  Through all of this, he's been the one who seemed the least personally invested in Yes.  Don't get me wrong; when he was leading the band, he was in it 100%.  He's a consummate professional, always has been.  But I don't blame him for not being thrilled about how any of the 80's and 90's stuff shook out, especially since he never wanted the band to be called Yes in the first place.  It got away from him, he rode it as long as he could, and stepped off when the opportunity presented itself.

My post was muddled because I guess I was trying to make at least two points at once.  One that I really don't see the two factions getting back together, and the other that "Yes Featuring AWR" becoming legitimate sure as hell didn't help that situation, and my feelings about that.

I won't go as far as saying Steve has been phoning it in.  He's 70 years old and can't play the way he used to.  He's gone on record saying that yes, they know the tempos are down, but they feel that that's better than trying to play them at original tempos and butchering them.  They've been trying to work on that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
I won't go as far as saying Steve has been phoning it in.  He's 70 years old and can't play the way he used to.  He's gone on record saying that yes, they know the tempos are down, but they feel that that's better than trying to play them at original tempos and butchering them.  They've been trying to work on that.

Fair point.  I wasn't aware of his acknowledgement, but good for him if that's the case.  At least he's being honest.  Can't find too much fault in that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2023 on: September 07, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
I was always under the impression that Anderson chose to do his solo stuff because he wasn't up to the Yes touring schedule after recovering from his health problems. Honestly I never even looked into how much he was touring with his solo band so I could be way off here.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2024 on: September 07, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
That much is probably true, that he chose to do his solo stuff because he wasn't up to the Yes touring schedule after his illness.

The problem is that he kept the rest of Yes "on hold" the whole time.  They waited a while, checked back with him, he was still recovering, so they waited a while longer, etc.  A few years went by with no word from him, then they hear that he's out there touring.  Small or large tour, you don't exactly do that if you're supposedly recovering from an illness in order to get back with your main band.  Knowing Yes, there was probably some misunderstanding involved, but at the very least, he could've let them know what was going on.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2025 on: September 07, 2017, 10:08:17 PM »
Unless you're talking about in 1979, Jon Anderson didn't quit, he was fired & replaced (without his knowledge until it was announced).
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2026 on: September 07, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
Really? Didn't Jon leave on his own and then Rick followed him?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2027 on: September 07, 2017, 11:56:40 PM »
I'm talking about the breakup in 2010-11, that's why I said "Unless you're talking about in 1979,"
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2028 on: September 07, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
I'm talking about the breakup in 2010-11, that's why I said "Unless you're talking about in 1979,"
Shit. It's 8AM here, pardon me.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2029 on: September 08, 2017, 12:16:40 AM »
Regardless of who was fired or quit or whatever, I find Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin nowadays much more interesting than the Howe, Downes, White incarnation. Both tour as nostalgia acts, playing their music from several years ago, but from what I've heard the performances of ARW don't suffer that much from old age.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D