Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257188 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1785 on: February 01, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
Jacaranda is good, but it's pretty out there; I have to be in the right mood for that one.  And I have to admit to being a tad disappointed that the first studio album he released in over 20 years didn't have any singing.

I like most of Can't Look Away a lot.  The Cape is an incredible song, especially on a good stereo with the music bouncing around the channels, and I love I Didn't Think It Would Last is catchy as hell.  Big fan of Cover Up and I Miss You Now, as well.

Rabin's first couple albums are a little spotty. but have some great tracks on them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1786 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:11 AM »
Musically they're sound, but lyrically... he needs to take Peter Sinfield out to lunch or something.    Man. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1787 on: February 04, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
Had Can't Look Away when it first came out but didn't really listen to it much.

Not a favorite. Even sold it back at one point and bought it again a few years back because I do break it out once it a while. Probably been more than a year since I last put it on though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1788 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
So I just watched some of the recordings of Yes' concert on Cruise To The Edge.
I am very sorry to say something like this about one of my all time heroes, but compared to their early recordings, this is pretty bad. And I'm not only talking about the fantastic 70s recordings (Progeny, Yessongs, WOW), but also concerts from like 10 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF7kFAy8rU8
On this song the complete band still had a lot of energy, Howes guitar is absolutely mind blowing, Anderson sounds rough and cool.

Now the still pretty badass Steve Howe is playing with
1. An Anderson-clone
2. The worst keyboard player they ever had (sorry Geoff, but you just shouldn't play Wakemans parts)
3. A drummer who hasn't played anything interesting for 20 years now and can't play the full set anymore - don't get me wrong, all the best wishes to Alan) and has to be replaced in the Tales-set.
4. A Squire replacement that does an admittedly good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7KlCYWjro&t=1385s

Meanwhile, Anderson is in VERY good shape and still plays and records great stuff, and in a project with Wakeman.
I don't get why Steve Howe doesn't get that this line up of Yes doesn't work. Why not make up and team up with A&W, do a line up with them, get a good drummer and Billy?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1789 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
Trever Rabin is in the Anderson Wakeman line-up as of now, and I prefer they keep it that way. Its called A.R.W.  saw them in concert a couple months ago and it was awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1790 on: March 05, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Honestly, I just wish Jon Anderson and the current members of Yes would make up, get together, and do one final tour of Yes music before calling it a day. Invite all current and past members of Yes who are willing to play, and do a world tour covering music from all eras of Yes. Have multiple vocalists, guitarists, bassists (I salivate at the idea of Billy and Tony sharing bass duties on that stage), and even multiple drummers (get Bruford to un-retire). Heck, get every keyboard player on there - Wakeman, Downes, Kaye, and even Moraz...is Moraz still alive?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1791 on: March 05, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
That would be a great thing and they could go out with a bang. But Yes being Yes it will never happen and they will let another opportunity pass them by.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1792 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
That would be a great thing and they could go out with a bang. But Yes being Yes it will never happen and they will let another opportunity pass them by.

I worry about who might be the next to go, as sad of a thought as that is. Alan and Steve cannot be getting any younger, and I'm sure if either of them passed away anytime soon, the band might throw in the towel. I mean, if Steve passed away, then what? Get the guy who replaced him in Asia? The band would be even MORE Asia with Billy and that guy, in addition to Geoff. Might as well do a Yesia tour and call it a day.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1793 on: March 05, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
I think they are in the dilemma that their last two albums made the record company lose money. Fly From Here had a brilliant sound and production, but Trevor Horn is not cheap, so Heaven & Earth was produced under the worst circumstances, in a rush and with a very small budget. And you can hear that at ever second. So they send them on tour to play their old classic because let's admit it, no one wants to hear Big Generator at a Yes concert.

But they simply are not able anymore to pull off a Heart Of The Sunrise or Tempus Fugit. IF they have to play classics, why not play the slower stuff and make it easier for them? And You & I, To Be Over, The Revealing Science Of God are not so hard to play as Awaken (okay, Revealing is not easy) but they're still some of the greatest prog pieces ever written. Plus, I would really like to see some of their later stuff live as well, because they did indeed release some great songs after Drama, f.e. In The Presence or Homeworld. But instead they play Starship Trooper for the millionth time, Roundabout for the second millionth time (and way to slow).

I would love a Union-like tour to end with a bang as well. But I don't know if Bill wants to come out of retirement.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1794 on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »

I worry about who might be the next to go, as sad of a thought as that is. Alan and Steve cannot be getting any younger, and I'm sure if either of them passed away anytime soon, the band might throw in the towel. I mean, if Steve passed away, then what? Get the guy who replaced him in Asia? The band would be even MORE Asia with Billy and that guy, in addition to Geoff. Might as well do a Yesia tour and call it a day.

-Marc.

You mean Guthrie Govan? :D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1795 on: March 05, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »

I would love a Union-like tour to end with a bang as well. But I don't know if Bill wants to come out of retirement.

I think he would, for the band that launched his career. I doubt he'd play with King Crimson ever again, especially now that they have four drummers, but for Yes, if they told him that it was their final tour, I feel like Bill might consider it.

-Marc.

Nah, I mean Sam Coulson, the guy who replaced Steve after the 3 reunion albums that they did (Phoenix, Omega and the poorly-titled XXX - never Google "Asia XXX").

Asia is currently Geoff and Billy, with Carl and Sam. Yes is currently Geoff and Billy, with Steve, Alan and Jon. It totally makes sense to just tour as Yes AND Asia with the same keyboardists and bassist. Heck, I'm sure Carl could play old Yes stuff better than Alan does these days, and having Steve play the old Asia stuff again would be a treat (and probably not as taxing or complicated as Yes stuff). A dual tour would probably rake in a lot of money.

I just think SOMETHING awesome needs to happen to Yes before another awful thing happens again.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1796 on: March 05, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »

I think he would, for the band that launched his career. I doubt he'd play with King Crimson ever again, especially now that they have four drummers, but for Yes, if they told him that it was their final tour, I feel like Bill might consider it.

-Marc.

Nah, I mean Sam Coulson, the guy who replaced Steve after the 3 reunion albums that they did (Phoenix, Omega and the poorly-titled XXX - never Google "Asia XXX").

Asia is currently Geoff and Billy, with Carl and Sam. Yes is currently Geoff and Billy, with Steve, Alan and Jon. It totally makes sense to just tour as Yes AND Asia with the same keyboardists and bassist. Heck, I'm sure Carl could play old Yes stuff better than Alan does these days, and having Steve play the old Asia stuff again would be a treat (and probably not as taxing or complicated as Yes stuff). A dual tour would probably rake in a lot of money.

I just think SOMETHING awesome needs to happen to Yes before another awful thing happens again.

-Marc.

Man that's really good point! You should go to Yes' management and suggest the idea right now.
(Although I'm not sure if Carl wants to practice complicated stuff like the old Yes tunes at his age.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1797 on: March 05, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
Here's a better idea! Hold a two or three day festival, call it the YEStival, and host all of the various Yes spin-off bands and solo acts. Have Yes, Asia, GPS, John Payne's Asia, CIRCA, ARW, Yoso, and whoever else wants to perform, and make it a huge event. Record every performance, and then have a huge everyone-plays-together performance at the end of it all, doing the Yes classics (yes, even Roundabout, because let's face it, even though Yes have played it a billion times to the sun and back, you'd hear it if all of those above musicians were involved).

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1798 on: March 05, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
Here's a better idea! Hold a two or three day festival, call it the YEStival, and host all of the various Yes spin-off bands and solo acts. Have Yes, Asia, GPS, John Payne's Asia, CIRCA, ARW, Yoso, and whoever else wants to perform, and make it a huge event. Record every performance, and then have a huge everyone-plays-together performance at the end of it all, doing the Yes classics (yes, even Roundabout, because let's face it, even though Yes have played it a billion times to the sun and back, you'd hear it if all of those above musicians were involved).

-Marc.

Guess we're all a little Morse-influenced ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1799 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
After all my talk about Yes and Asia yesterday, I just saw that Steve Howe is BACK in Asia, replacing his 2013 replacement Sam Coulson, but now Steve's son, Dylan Howe, is replacing Carl Palmer on drums.

The announcement is only so far for four shows in November as a tribute to Wetton, so I'm not sure if this is an on-going commitment from all members, seeing as how Carl is unable to join due to prior commitments.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1800 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
For those who care, things are taking shape regarding the Yes induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Of course they will play Roundabout, and Geddy Lee will be playing bass for at least that one tune.  Meanwhile, Rick Wakeman seems to have gotten over his "I don't care and I won't be there" attitude, possibly because he's currently playing with Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin in ARW and the other two will be there.

Linkage!

Yeah yeah, the RRHoF is a joke and real artists don't give a shit, but it's still a cool opportunity to see bands play, especially if you get interesting one-off lineups like Geddy Lee sitting in for the late Chris Squire.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1801 on: March 08, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Since Rush has pretty much called it quits, it would be cool to see Geddy Lee do a tour with ARW, even make an album with them. I bet ticket sales would increase by at least two-fold..
That would be epic imo!  :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1802 on: March 09, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Well, crap.  It turns out that Jon Anderson was just high again and Geddy will not be playing bass on Roundabout after all.  Or at least it has not yet been announced.  A follow-up came out hours after the original "announcement" (which apparently was just Anderson talking out of his ass again, as usual).

Response on the Yesfans boards was mixed from the start.  Sure, Geddy is a highly respected bassist, and is even known for his Rickenbacker skillz, just as Chris Squire was, but Yes does have a bass player (Billy Sherwood, Squire's close friend and personal choice as his successor, and even a former Yesman himself), so it would be a slap in his face to not be the one playing.

ARW (Anderson Rabin Wakeman) is also currently touring, doing weirdass rearranged Yessongs, and they have a regular bassist and drummer as well.  Their bassist, Lee Pomeroy, would also be an excellent choice.

Anyway, it seems I jumped the gun on this one.  Got excited about something that was only true in Jon Anderson's mind, when I should have known not to trust it until an official announcement.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1803 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »
I dunno, I saw on FB this morning that Geddy is playing bass on Roundabout at the induction ceremony..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1804 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
If it's on Facebook, then it must be true!

Most likely people have taken the story and run with it.  Who knows?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1805 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
I could see why Geddy might feel awkward playing bass with them on stage, he wants to honor YES and not step on anyone's toes.
 I think it would be awesome for Geddy and Alex to do a jam with them. When Rush was inducted, they shared the stage with Ann and Nancy Wilson of HEART and many other musicians.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1806 on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
Yeah but that happens at the end of the ceremony every year where all the inductees get up on stage and jam to a few songs.

Squire was one of Ged's idols so it would be cool but we'll have to wait and see.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1807 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
If it's on Facebook, then it must be true!

Most likely people have taken the story and run with it.  Who knows?
It was actually posted from ultimateclassicrock.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1808 on: March 09, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
(never Google "Asia XXX").

Tell that to BlobVanDam.  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1809 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
Does anyone own the NEW 2x Vinyl LP of Tales From Topographic Oceans?

I have the old version but it bothers me that the original intro of The Revealing Science Of God is not included on the original LP.
Can anyone tell me if the intro is on the new LP? Or does it start with Anderson's vocals?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1810 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1811 on: April 08, 2017, 05:13:02 AM »
THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE EXCITEMENT FROM THE FANS! THIS HAPPENED LAST NIGHT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjm10iXTon4

God, they're old, but it's still so touching to see this.  :hefdaddy

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1812 on: April 08, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
That was cool. Looking forward to seeing the whole show on HBO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1813 on: April 08, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
Good to see the core members of Yes sucked it up and all showed up last night, even if Howe and the current ARW band barely acknowledged either when playing or during the induction speeches.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1814 on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:27 PM »
ARW (Anderson Rabin Wakeman) is now billing themselves as "Yes featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman".  That just strikes me as wrong.  But I try to get past it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1815 on: April 08, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »
ARW (Anderson Rabin Wakeman) is now billing themselves as "Yes featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman".  That just strikes me as wrong.  But I try to get past it.

I thought they weren't and that was a European promoter that did that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1816 on: April 08, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
here's an animated video for some to check out. Andy Greene of Rolling Stone made it. He's a Yes fan, but also per this article and video, has some less than agreeable opinions. And facts are a little off (pronouncing Trevor's last name even).

animated video about the drama/egos on the history of Yes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/yes-an-animated-breakdown-of-the-band-over-19-iterations-w475371

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1817 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »

I thought they weren't and that was a European promoter that did that.

When ARW originally announced some concert dates, there were promotional materials out there that boldly included the Yes logo, and those disappeared quickly.  I heard speculation that it was perhaps some overzealous promoter going a bit too far to make the Yes connection.  I don't remember hearing a final word on that; but I kinda stopped following it after a while.  Sounds likely.

Now it seems to either be official, or ARW's lawyers are daring the "real" Yes to challenge them on it.  Still wrong to me.  Yes as a band is still around and working, and yeah, there are now zero original members left, but Steve Howe and Alan White both joined over 40 years ago, so come on.  Downes has been on three albums now, same as Trevor Rabin, so he's a legitimate member IMO now, too.  Amongst ARW, there's only one original Yes member there.  Okay, it's Jon Anderson, arguably the most important member to the overall sound of the group, but it's... arguable.  I love his voice, but Yes to me was always about the music first anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1818 on: April 09, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »
Orbert, while I get where you are coming from, I disagree with several things there.

First, Rabin has actually been on four albums (Union isn't very good, but it counts), but that aside, all tenure is not measured the same way.  Rabin was on, and was the main songwriter, two albums which had some of their biggest hits ever (90125 and Big Generator), while Downes was on three albums that didn't make a dent at all (except Drama, which is liked by some hardcore fans like us quite a bit).  Impact, success and relevance matter much more than tenure, more often than not. 

Second, I think we all tend to worry too much about "original members."  I mean, does that really matter that much?  Peter Banks is an original member, but he is more Yes than Rick Wakeman, Trevor Rabin or Steve Howe? Hell no.  To me, with Squire gone, Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, White, Bruford and Rabin are the six who I look at as true Yes guys who are currently alive.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1819 on: April 09, 2017, 07:50:25 AM »