Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 79122 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2030 on: September 08, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Unless you're talking about in 1979, Jon Anderson didn't quit, he was fired & replaced (without his knowledge until it was announced).

You couldn't tell that I was talking about the 2010-2011 mess?  Okay, you can call it being fired and replaced, but was being an asshole.  He kept them waiting for four years, they scrapped tour plans and plans to go back into the studio while they waited for him, then they found out that he was out touring his solo thing.  Then he cried foul when they found another singer and made an album.  How long are you supposed to wait for someone?  As far as they were concerned, he'd moved on.  He never bothered to tell them what was going on, then he whines that they never told him he'd been replaced?

Regardless of who was fired or quit or whatever, I find Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin nowadays much more interesting than the Howe, Downes, White incarnation. Both tour as nostalgia acts, playing their music from several years ago, but from what I've heard the performances of ARW don't suffer that much from old age.

I've heard that the AWR show is more interesting, because other than the Union tour, those particular three ex-Yesmen were never in the band at the same time.  They've reworked a lot of the songs, which naturally gives them a fresher feel and something different to check out.  Meanwhile official Yes is playing the same songs, same arrangements, only slower and not as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »
Unless you're talking about in 1979, Jon Anderson didn't quit, he was fired & replaced (without his knowledge until it was announced).

You couldn't tell that I was talking about the 2010-2011 mess?  Okay, you can call it being fired and replaced, but was being an asshole.  He kept them waiting for four years, they scrapped tour plans and plans to go back into the studio while they waited for him, then they found out that he was out touring his solo thing.  Then he cried foul when they found another singer and made an album.  How long are you supposed to wait for someone?  As far as they were concerned, he'd moved on.  He never bothered to tell them what was going on, then he whines that they never told him he'd been replaced?

And thus my comment about "fucking quit" being overrated as a factor.  NONE of these things are as cut and dry as we'd like them to be (and thus the existence of forums like this!).   If nothing else, I think we often forget that for bands like Yes, there are THOUSANDS of dollars at stake; nothing happens randomly, and nothing happens in a vacuum.   Chris was a strong man, and had his way of doing things, but if he had showed anything in the 45 +/- years he led Yes, it's that there was always an open door, and always a chance to get back into the band if that was your desire.   Jon clearly didn't.  He may not have outright "quit", but if you effectively force the hand of the rest of the guys (read:  Squire, and to a lesser degree, White), it ends up in the same place.   

I will say this, though:  I think a Yes ship captained by Squire is a different animal than a Yes ship captained by Steve Howe, and for the better.   Howe comes off as a very bitter, very petty man at times, in a way that Squire never did.  That's not at all good for a band that is as much a community as it is anything else.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2032 on: September 08, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
That much is probably true, that he chose to do his solo stuff because he wasn't up to the Yes touring schedule after his illness.

The problem is that he kept the rest of Yes "on hold" the whole time.  They waited a while, checked back with him, he was still recovering, so they waited a while longer, etc.  A few years went by with no word from him, then they hear that he's out there touring.  Small or large tour, you don't exactly do that if you're supposedly recovering from an illness in order to get back with your main band.  Knowing Yes, there was probably some misunderstanding involved, but at the very least, he could've let them know what was going on.

That's messed up. I didn't realize they waited that long for him to return.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline njfirefighter

• Roadstomadness.com
    • Roadstomadness.com
« Reply #2033 on: September 09, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Very good points on this discussion, enjoying this . Another current factor is that now that Squire is deceased, Anderson is the sole original member in this mix now. Does that not give him some more leeway in the rights to calling ARW YES. It's an interesting situation, and he has two yes members with him that were driving forces behind Yes's most revered and commercially successful era's. 

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #2034 on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
 So sad to hear about Steve Howe's son  suddenly passing away.  :-[
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2035 on: September 11, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
WHAT?! :omg: I hadn't heard!

:'(

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #2036 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Posted to their official Facebook page. 

Due to the tragic, unexpected death of guitarist Steve Howe’s beloved younger son, Virgil, YES regrettably announces that the remaining dates of their Yestival Tour have been cancelled.
Ticket refunds for the affected tour dates (in Moorhead, Cedar Rapids, London, Rochester, Boston and Huntington) will be available at point of purchase.
YES — Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood — want to thank all their fans for their support and understanding at this time.
Steve Howe and family ask for their privacy to be respected during this difficult time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

• allmediareviews
« Reply #2037 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
so sad.

Just noticed how among Virgil's credits, the THEME for BETTER CALL SAUL.

Maybe they'll dedicate something to him in the credits next season.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2038 on: September 18, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
Very sad news.