Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257518 times)

Offline njfirefighter

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1960 on: July 27, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
Another box set package of theirs I have that is pretty good is "The Word Is Live" a three disc live package put out by Rhino in 2005. This one has some more obscure stuff.

Disc 1.
Then (BBC 1970)
For Everyone (BBC 1970)
Astral Traveler (Gothenburg 1971)
Everydays (Gothenburg 1971)
Yours Is No Disgrace (London 71)
 I've Seen All Good People (London 71)
America (London 71)
It's love (London 71)

Disc 2.
Apocalypse (Detroit 76)
Siberian Khatru (Detroit 76)
Sound Chaser (Detroit 76)
Sweet Dreams (London 75)
Future Times/Rejoice (Oakland 78)
Circus of Heaven (Oakland 78)
The Big Medley (Time and a word, Long Distance runaround, Survival, The Fish, Perpetual Change and Soon)- Inglewood 78
Hello Chicago (Chicago 79)
Roundabout (Chicago 79)

Disc 3.
Heart of the Sunrise (Oakland 78)
Awaken (Chicago 79)
Go Through This (NY 1980)
We Can Fly From Here (NY 1980)
Tempus Fugit (NY 1980)
Rhythm of Love (Houston 88)
Hold On (Houston 88)
Shoot High, Aim Low (Houston 88)
Make It Easy/Owner of a Lonely Heart (Houston 88)

Pretty cool package and some gathered up lesser available songs on it. I bought it mainly for the 78-80 era stuff. comes in a nice paperback sized hardcover package with a bound inner booklet with great pictures.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1961 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
I like this package, too.  Some fans complained that it was too heavy on the rarities and oddballs, but I'm pretty sure that was the whole point.  The 70-71 was the big draw for me, as there's very little proper live material from the early days.  The stuff here is mostly bootleg-quality (and again, fans complained) but most of it probably did come from bootlegs, if not all.  Same with the Drama-era stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1962 on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »
That is the primary reason I DID buy it.  I'm partial to complete shows as opposed to compilations like this, but Yes is SO good live (I've seen them probably eight or 10 times, and nary a duff show in all of them) that it's worth it.   

I too liked the live versions of the early songs. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1963 on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
The early, *even longer* version of "America" is great.  I know the finished version has a quick quote from Bernstein's "America", but the live version actually starts with that, and shows where the song came from.  Most bands start off doing covers, but Yes took covers to an entirely different level.

I just realized that "Something's Coming" (rarity on YesYears), another cover that gets turned into a mini-epic, is also from West Side Story.  I'm not sure how I never noticed that before.  There aren't that many Yes covers.  But they're all amazing.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #1964 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
I have every studio album up till and including The Ladder, I've heard some of each of the last three and I'm sure will pick them up at some point just to have them. I have all the commercially released live stuff up until Montreux 2003, and then grabbed the Union Tour dvd that came out a few years later. I forget how many times I've seen them live but probably a dozen or so. The highlights being the Keys To Ascension period and the Union Tour as my first show wasn't until I think the Big Generator tour. The last show I saw them live was with Benoit David in 2011 ,which was a good show and got to hear some Drama songs live. I have yet to see them minus Squire and with Jon Davison on vocals. At present I am more interested in seeing the Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman lineup and can't wait to hear a new album from them.

That means I am missing and probably haven't heard much from the following.
Magnification
Fly From Here
Heaven and Earth

Symphonic Live
In The Present (Live from Lyon)
Like It Is (Bristol Hippodrome)
Like It Is (Mesa Arts Center)

Progeny 72 (Which I will most certainly invest in soon)

Of those listed above what are stand out tracks and live stuff that is recommended to check out or are there any that are recommended to be avoided?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1965 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
Magnification is pretty good.  The joke of course is that Wakeman left (again) and they needed a whole orchestra to replace him.  But the band insists that the music was written to allow space for where the orchestra would fill things in.  Connecting the dots, they're kinda the same thing.  Kinda.  It sounds great, and there are some good songs, but overall I don't listen to it much.  A lot of the songs are on the mediocre side, and overall the album is very homogeneous because of the same instrumentation on every song, so I find myself getting bored halfway through.

I listened to Fly From Here again just the other night, and I always forget that this is not Trevor Horn on lead vocals.  Benoit sounds a lot like him to my ears, and the opening suite being an expansion of a Drama-era song helped with the illusion.  It's been referred to as Drama II, and rightfully so.  Overall I like it.  Try to find the import version with the expanded version of "Hour of Need".  With the instrumental intro and outro, it becomes its own mini-suite and pushes up the prog factor.

I cannot get into Heaven and Earth.  Such high hopes for this album, and this lineup, and the results are just so, so bland.  Most albums benefit from a nice mix of heavy and lighter songs, varying moods, etc.  This one is all light and mellow.  Even when you can feel them trying to get heavy, it never really does.  Such a boring, disappointing album.  My least favorite Yes album of all.

I don't have Symphonic Live, but I have the live Blu-ray, and if it's the same performance, it's great.  Rather than the orchestra replacing the keys, it's used to augment the overall sound, with some pretty impressive results.  I honestly didn't think it would work as well as it does, adding orchestra to killer songs like "The Gates of Delirium" and "Close to the Edge" but it works well.  And after listening to "And You And I" with mellotron strings for 40 years, hearing those sweeping, soaring lines played by a real orchestra actually brought tears to my eyes.  It's really beautiful.  Definitely get this one.

Progeny is pretty cool, but in some ways it's more of an interesting look into how things change over the course of a tour.  The same seven-song setlist for each show, so you have to really listen a lot to catch the differences from night to night, but they're there.  But it takes a lot of listening, and a lot of money (14-disc set!) and may or may not be worth it to some.

I haven't heard the others.  I'm actually not that big into live Yes.  Their studio stuff is just so perfect, that while it's impressive how well they pull it off live, I always find myself reaching for the studio albums when I need my Yes fix.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #1966 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
Good info, thanks for taking the time  :hefdaddy

I'll start with Fly From Here and Symphonic then. I actually did hear the Fly From Here title track and thought it was pretty good back when it came out, but never got around to picking up the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: July 29, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »
Up until the last paragraph (and maybe the second to last as well) I agree unequivocally with Orbert.  EXACTLY how I feel about those particular albums. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1968 on: July 29, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
I think I read on the ARW FB page that Fly From Here is being re-released this year with the vocals de-done by Trevor Horn.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1969 on: July 29, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
I think I read on the ARW FB page that Fly From Here is being re-released this year with the vocals de-done by Trevor Horn.

Nice  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1970 on: July 29, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
Interesting.  Sometimes I hear something and wish there was a version of the song with <someone else> doing <some part> but that's always just fantasy.  I don't know how I feel about them actually re-recording the album with a different singer, even if it's one I prefer and the one I was wishing it was.  It still seems disrespectful to the original.  "Yeah, we too always wished Trevor had sung it, so we'll try it again with him."

Also, interesting that it was on the ARW page, since none of A, R or W are on Fly From Here (presumably?) none will be on the re-recording.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1971 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »
They are not re-recording the album, just putting TH vocals over the already existing music.
The FB group ARW is about all the various incarnations of Yes, not just the latest.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1972 on: July 30, 2017, 04:57:31 AM »
Wait, why is that piece of news featured on a band page where none of the band members took part in making of that album?

I really don't see why Fly from here should be re-recorded. The album is fine the way it is, and the vocals are very well performed by David.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1973 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:34 AM »
And right after that will be the re-release of Drama with the vocals re-done by Jon Anderson!

In other news, pigs can now fly.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1974 on: July 30, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
As intriguing as it would be to hear FFH with Horn on vocals, it's kind of a HUGE smack in the face (voice?) of Benoit David, who I thought did a fine job on the vocals. There is literally NO REASON to re-release the album with Horn except for money, and given how often Yes are keen with releasing the same setlists in live sets, and multiple boxsets and compilations, it doesn't really surprise me that they want a cash-grab album, especially considering the luke-warm reception that their last studio album had.

Regardless of how much effort a FHH-with-Horn actually takes, any amount of musical energy left in Yes should really be put into making a decent album and perhaps forgetting that Heaven & Earth ever existed. What's left of Yes is really grasping at straws here and on the eve of their 50th anniversary, they're not really doing much to keep me interested in their band or brand.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1975 on: July 30, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
Phrased a bit more harshly than I might have, but yeah, I agree with all of that.  And I ain't even mad, but I am kinda sad and disappointed because this just seems lame.

I know, I know.  I don't have to buy it, some people will, some will like it, cool for them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1976 on: July 30, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
In other news, Steve Howe's son will apparently be sharing drumming duties with Alan White on their next tour.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: July 30, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
I disagree with that.   There are 100 reasons why they would/might want to do that.   Why did Kiss/Def Leppard/Foreigner/Countless other bands re-record various songs in their catalogue?   Why did Bruce Dickinson re-record several Paul Di'anno songs?   If the band for some reason is now preferring Trevor sing them, whether for artistic reasons, continuity reasons, performance royalty reasons, or whatever, that is on them to do.  It is our choice whether to purchase that or not (I know I will, immediately). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1978 on: July 30, 2017, 08:40:06 PM »
Phrased a bit more harshly than I might have, but yeah, I agree with all of that.  And I ain't even mad, but I am kinda sad and disappointed because this just seems lame.

I know, I know.  I don't have to buy it, some people will, some will like it, cool for them.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh, but as someone who is (was?) a huge fan of Yes, their recent efforts have been lackluster to me, so hearing them taking the time and effort to going back and re-hashing an album that was already one of their better albums in the last 20 years, and re-recording vocals on it, just seems like a waste.

As for having Horn do the vocals, I wouldn't MIND it so much that he was doing them if he wasn't already involved in the project to begin with - if this was an idea they had back then, they should have just had Trevor record the vocals from the start (which, honestly, was what I was hoping would have happened back when it was announced that he was working with them on a new album). Despite Horn only doing production on the album, I was satisfied with David's vocals and the whole thing sounded pretty good to me.

I disagree with that.   There are 100 reasons why they would/might want to do that.   Why did Kiss/Def Leppard/Foreigner/Countless other bands re-record various songs in their catalogue?   Why did Bruce Dickinson re-record several Paul Di'anno songs?   If the band for some reason is now preferring Trevor sing them, whether for artistic reasons, continuity reasons, performance royalty reasons, or whatever, that is on them to do.  It is our choice whether to purchase that or not (I know I will, immediately). 

I get that maybe they have changed their mind and wanted to meddle with their past, but it really does feel like a middle finger to Benoit. It'd be like if they went back and re-recorded Magnification with Geoff Downes just so it would have keyboard parts in it. As for those other bands you've listed that have re-recorded songs from their back catalog, were any of those instances of WHOLE ALBUMS or just various songs/singles/hits that were updated to fit the current line-up? If so, then that is perfectly reasonable, as they would like to show off their current line-up with their old material. In this case of FFH and Trevor Horn, the band haven't been playing much (if any) FFH material in recent years (opting for classic albums instead), and Trevor isn't even IN the band at this point. I would understand if Trevor were back as the permanent lead vocalist, but from what I understand, that role still belongs to Jon Davison, right?

If the whole process is for the sake of "sounding more like Drama", then I'd like them to be very transparent about it, but to be honest, Benoit's vocals were fairly similar to Trevor's to begin with, and suited the material just fine to my ears. Like I said earlier, it just sounds like a cash-grab to me, given their history of doing similar things, though I am surprised we haven't gotten another round of Yes album re-issues yet (though that 50th anniversary is coming up soon, so ya know...).

In other news, Steve Howe's son will apparently be sharing drumming duties with Alan White on their next tour.

That's interesting. Is Alan's health deteriorating or is just a supplementation? I know one of the biggest complaints about recent Yes tours has been the band's tempos, and I figure Alan would be one of the causes of the dragging songs. At some point he will probably retire (and I would rather see him do that before illness takes him), just so he can live out his retirement in comfort.

Either way, I am still hopeful that this line-up (that features half of Asia's first line-up and half of CIRCA's first line-up) actually records an album before another member leaves. They're all capable players and have the potential to write some great stuff - just let Downes and Sherwood write the majority of the music this time.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:26:24 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #1979 on: July 30, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »
Always been a huge fan of Drama, so I would certainly check out a version of fly From Here with Trevor Horn vocals  :tup

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1980 on: July 30, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
Wait, why is that piece of news featured on a band page where none of the band members took part in making of that album?

I really don't see why Fly from here should be re-recorded. The album is fine the way it is, and the vocals are very well performed by David.

As I already stated, the page is for all incarnations of Yes, not just ARW.
It was posted by a fan and backed up with several other posts.
It is fan page, not an offical band one.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1981 on: July 31, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
So I've been listening to a lot of YES the last few days on Google Music. Especially live stuff. Question I have is how often did they play Lonely Heart live with Howe? Was it a constant thing or just once in a while?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: July 31, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
So I've been listening to a lot of YES the last few days on Google Music. Especially live stuff. Question I have is how often did they play Lonely Heart live with Howe? Was it a constant thing or just once in a while?

More often than you'd think, though it wasn't as regular as "Roundabout" or anything. 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #1983 on: August 01, 2017, 04:51:58 AM »
So what's the general feel here for Tormato and Going for the One. I've always held these two among my favorites, love both of these records, and while we're at it add Drama, Drama has always been a favorite of mine. I think Squire, Howe and White really raised their game on Drama maybe cause they weren't sure how the singer change would go over at the time since it was the first without Anderson, Love drama! 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: August 01, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »
Drama is one of their very best, definitely a Top 5 Yes album for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1985 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:55 AM »
IMO, Going For The One & Drama are some of their best albums, but Tormato is one of their worst
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:12 AM »
Well, "Going For The One" is my favorite album of all time by any band ever, so there's that.  :)

I love Drama (one of the first Yes albums I got into after being introduced to "Classic Yes"; and to this day tied for my favorite cover).

I actually love Tormato.  I think it is much maligned, but if you take off the two Anderson abominations (Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven) it's actually a strong record.   I get it, that's a quarter of the album that has to go, but in my opinion, it is not their worst, and not even bottom five. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1987 on: August 01, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
Going for the One blows me away.  It is my favorite album of all-time, same as Stadler.  I cannot think of another band with the vision, the resources, and just plain balls to record an album fusing synthesizers and electric guitars with church organ, choir, and harp, and the compositions to incorporate them all.  To me, it's the pinnacle of prog right there.  Jon Anderson has said that "Awaken" to him is everything Yes was about, and I agree.

Drama is great because it's so different, yet still Yes.  I have no problem with The Buggles joining them for this album, especially since Anderson and Wakeman wanted to go off and do more mellow stuff.  Howe-Squire-White wanted to get heavier, so they stayed and did so.  But it's not all heavy; it runs the spectrum just as any other Yes album.  I think "Man in a White Car" is brilliant in its simplicity, and demonstrates Downes' flair for orchestration.  I even like "Into the Lens" and "Run Through the Light", two songs that get slagged a lot.  I feel like I understand what they were going for.  I know that sounds pretentious, but those songs work for me, I get them.

I'll always have a soft spot for Tormato.  To many, it was disappointing, just a "regular" album, with eight songs, no real epics.  "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" comes close.  But I like the variety, I like the insanity, and yes, I even like "Arriving UFO".  "Circus of Heaven" is a bit tougher, but again, I feel like I know what Jon was going for with that song, so I'm fine with it.  Jon was starting to get more wordy, sometimes even using complete sentences rather than letting the sound of the words work for him, and it turns out he doesn't make much more sense here than when we talked about Siberia going through the motions or mountains coming out of the sky, but whatever.  I just kinda ignore the words and let the voice be the instrument as before and it's all good.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1988 on: August 01, 2017, 07:24:35 AM »
Although I really like Drama and Going For The One I wouldn't rank them in my Yes top 5. For me the classic records and some of the Yes West records are better. And I like Tormato, it's not as bad as some people claim it to be. But Circus Of Heaven is hard to listen to, imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1989 on: August 01, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
I think all of the three albums are underrated. Drama and Going For The One are brilliant, especially Awaken & Machine Messiah. Tormato might be their weakest 70s album, but then again I think it ties with Time & A Word. Still, that doesn't mean anything considering the amount of masterpieces they've release in those 10 years. I could never understand why people considered Tormato Yes' worst album ever. I mean, the guys released Heaven & Earth.

#edit: Man I just put on my old Drama vinyl and WOW what an album! Does It Really Happen? is amazing with its stunning rhythmic complexity and killer bass sound, so is Into The Lens! No word has to be said about Machine Messiah of course. I find it crazy how often I find myself thinking.. "I LOVE Yes.. what a band".
any rock can be made to roll

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #1990 on: August 01, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
Very Cool to see everybody's thoughts on these and all three of getting some praises.

Going for the One: Awaken is a masterpiece, I love that slide guitar Howe plays in the title track, Squire's work on Parallels, Wakeman on Turn of the Century, and the shorter Wonderous Stories where Anderson shines. Whole album works well together and is fantastic.

Tormato: I always loved arriving UFO, great synth work by Wakeman. Future Times/Rejoice, Release Release, and On the Silent Wings of Freedom are great tracks. Onward is an excellent slow track. Don't Kill the Whale is ok, Madrigal and Circus would be the two weaker tracks IMO.

Drama: I think this entire record is strong, so much so that I have no problem with the one weak track White Car that logs in at all of a minute and change.   

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1991 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
The final three albums of the band's Pre-80's run are a curious bunch. Going For The One comes off a 4-album run of progressive rock masterpieces, and I think for many Yes fans, it can be a bit divided on how they feel. Personally, I love it, it's got their progressive stylings but something fresh infused into it that sets is apart from the likes of CTTE or Relayer.

Tormato is a bit more unusual, though I don't entirely dislike it. I remember reading that one or more of the band members wished they had a second pass at all the music before recording it, and I could tell that there was some potential for greatness in the songs, but it felt unfinished, which is a good word to describe Tormato. It's certainly the first significant dip in over-all consistency in their catalog since Fragile (TFTO might be that, for some, as well), but it's not downright horrible (as some of their later albums might prove to be).

Drama is an absolute favorite of mine, regardless of the Buggles, who I think add a lot to the band. With Wakeman leaving again (and not for the last time either), the over-all landscape of sounds was sure to change, and when the album's first song hits you, you can feel it. Every piece is quite different from each other, and even more so from the albums that preceded it. I think because of how different this one is compared to the rest is what drew me to it and why I love it so much. It's heavy in parts, heavy in a way that the band had not done before, and wouldn't really ever again. Part of me wishes that this exact line-up had done a second album in 1981, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

As a 3-album consecutive run, it's very peculiar, and I can  understand why a lot of fans would stop at GFTO or even before it, but this is a run of albums that shouldn't be over-looked. I often refer to the band's first 10 albums as a fantastic run of music. Some would say it goes from The Yes Album to Going For The One, but it's always a shame when people disregard the first two or Tormato and Drama - just because they're different than what they would be known for doesn't mean they're not good songs in their own right (and I say that knowing full well that I don't really like Open Your Eyes or Heaven & Earth, but I don't think there's much of a fence to sit on with those albums - fans seem pretty unanimous on those).

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1992 on: August 04, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
Another box set package of theirs I have that is pretty good is "The Word Is Live" a three disc live package put out by Rhino in 2005. This one has some more obscure stuff.

Disc 1.
Then (BBC 1970)
For Everyone (BBC 1970)
Astral Traveler (Gothenburg 1971)
Everydays (Gothenburg 1971)
Yours Is No Disgrace (London 71)
 I've Seen All Good People (London 71)
America (London 71)
It's love (London 71)

Disc 2.
Apocalypse (Detroit 76)
Siberian Khatru (Detroit 76)
Sound Chaser (Detroit 76)
Sweet Dreams (London 75)
Future Times/Rejoice (Oakland 78)
Circus of Heaven (Oakland 78)
The Big Medley (Time and a word, Long Distance runaround, Survival, The Fish, Perpetual Change and Soon)- Inglewood 78
Hello Chicago (Chicago 79)
Roundabout (Chicago 79)

Disc 3.
Heart of the Sunrise (Oakland 78)
Awaken (Chicago 79)
Go Through This (NY 1980)
We Can Fly From Here (NY 1980)
Tempus Fugit (NY 1980)
Rhythm of Love (Houston 88)
Hold On (Houston 88)
Shoot High, Aim Low (Houston 88)
Make It Easy/Owner of a Lonely Heart (Houston 88)

Pretty cool package and some gathered up lesser available songs on it. I bought it mainly for the 78-80 era stuff. comes in a nice paperback sized hardcover package with a bound inner booklet with great pictures.   

I like this box, but I'm always listening to disc three way more than the rest and I've been known to continually hit the repeat button on Shoot High, Aim Low. Killer version that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1993 on: August 04, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
I like this package, too.  Some fans complained that it was too heavy on the rarities and oddballs, but I'm pretty sure that was the whole point.  The 70-71 was the big draw for me, as there's very little proper live material from the early days.  The stuff here is mostly bootleg-quality (and again, fans complained) but most of it probably did come from bootlegs, if not all.  Same with the Drama-era stuff.

The near bootleg quality was another reason I don't listen to the first two discs much.

I guess it's difficult to nail down a band like Yes live. The only live commercial recordings I can listen to with any regularity at all is Yesshows and the Seven Shows from '72 set.  I almost always prefer live work to studio, but not in the case of Yes usually.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1994 on: August 04, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »

Symphonic Live
In The Present (Live from Lyon)
Like It Is (Bristol Hippodrome)
Like It Is (Mesa Arts Center)

Missing these myself, but I would like to pick them up eventually.