Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257448 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1890 on: May 04, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
I'll let this go, but my point isn't that mine are superior to Wenner's - they are! :) - but rather that NEITHER of ours should matter.  Yes, it's subjective, in a sense, but there should at least be lip service paid to the integrity of the process, and while all the other things are measurable to some degree or another - we can count records sold; we can count cover versions; we can, in theory, count the artists influenced by a given act - "Wenner's politics" is an extremely arbitrary and capricious standard.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1891 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1892 on: May 04, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »

What did Jackson Browne do?  Wrote a couple hits (quick: name one besides "Running On Empty", "Tender Is The Night", and that song about the roadies that no one knows the title to ("The Load Out") and that ends with the squeally annoying Frankie Valli impression ("Stay")).  Hey!  Did you see that shredding guitar solo he laid down at that RnRHoF ceremony?  No?  No.  Because it didn't happen.   

He co-wrote Take It Easy (that the Eagles made famous).

I have no idea if they were chart hits, but Boulevard and Somebody's Baby were both pretty big.

Lawyers in Love was a popular hit in 1983.

Who cares if Browne did a shreddy solo or not?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1893 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
Waiting For You
I'm Alive
Looking East
The Barricades Of Heaven
The Pretender
That Girl Could Sing
Take This Rain
Knock On Any Door

Shall I go on?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: May 05, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »
Waiting For You
I'm Alive
Looking East
The Barricades Of Heaven
The Pretender
That Girl Could Sing
Take This Rain
Knock On Any Door

Shall I go on?

You should probably START first, before "going on".   Not one of those is half as relevant or insinuated into the fabric like "Rock and Roll All Nite", "Beth", "Love Gun", "Lick It Up", "I Love It Loud", "Shout it Out Loud", "I Was Made For Loving You".    In the recent movie "Why Him?", big budget, Bryan Cranston, James Franco, who did they fly in by helicopter to play at the wedding?   Kiss or Jackson Browne?   Poll any halfway decent rock/metal guitar player and ask them if they know how to play any songs from Kiss Alive!.  Then ask them if they know how to play any songs from... does he even have a live album?   Pearl Jam; just in the Hall this year.  Listen to the solo from "Alive".   Ring any bells?  It should; the first half is the solo from "She", from, you guessed it, Kiss Alive!.   The one thing I'll give you:   Jackson Browne's first SEVEN LPs have all gone platinum (he has eight platinum total).   Not as many as Kiss (10 or 14, if you count the "solo albums"), but nothing to sneeze at.   

In 1996, without a record, without ANY assurances that it would actually be any good, who sold out Detroit stadium - STADIUM - in minutes.   Who sold out four nights at Madison Square Garden, also in minutes?   Jackson Browne has had a grand total of ONE SONG in the Billboard Top 10, and it was from a soundtrack ("Somebody's Baby", from Fast Times at Ridgemont High".) 

But we're getting off topic.   This isn't about "Jackson Browne" versus "Kiss".    Why are "politics" - and more importantly, "politics that coincide with the guy that founded the joint" - a criteria for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?    Should we do that for other things as well?  Maybe we should get rid of every red neck in the Baseball Hall of Fame.  How about every player that was ever a gang member in the Football Hall of Fame?   What about drug users (not talking steroids) in the Basketball Hall of Fame?   How about every hockey player that voted against sovereignty of Quebec?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1895 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
Getting back to Yes, every so often, I feel a need to listen to Awaken on repeat.  I'm not sure what it is exactly that compels me to listen to it, but there are times when that song hits me in ways no other piece of music does.  There are other songs I like more than Awaken, but when it hits me, it's like I'm compelled to listen to it intently and repeatedly, and nothing else matters.  I think one of the aspects of the song I really like is the fact that there are so many different lines you can follow, and the interaction between those different lines is really quite impressive, especially the interplay between Howe, Wakeman and Squire in the Gentle Mass Touch section.  The same can be said with the middle section with Wakeman on keys, Anderson on the harp, and Alan White on the crotales.  I love the way they build the atmosphere there.  Overall, I really enjoy the journey that Awaken takes me on as a  listener.  Few other pieces of music do that. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1896 on: May 05, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
I love Awaken!  I got to see the ARW tour last November and they played Awaken. Trevor Rabin added a nice touch to it, and Wakeman and Anderson shined..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1897 on: May 05, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
I listened to Relayer today for the first time in a while.

Wow. How can music be both breathtakingly beautiful and maniacally insane at the same time? Tremendous stuff. The last sections of The Gates send shivers down my spine every time, and the ending of Sound chaser just make me laugh because of its awesomeness.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1898 on: May 05, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
I listened to Relayer today for the first time in a while.

Wow. How can music be both breathtakingly beautiful and maniacally insane at the same time? Tremendous stuff. The last sections of The Gates send shivers down my spine every time, and the ending of Sound chaser just make me laugh because of its awesomeness.

This.
Relayer amazes me every time like no other piece of music on this world. It may also be the only album fell in love with instantly at first listen, and still find it as breathtaking as at that very first listen. Usually I have to give an album time, quite a few listens to come to love it OR I like an album at first listen but it gets boring after some time. (Standing the test of time)
But Relayer.. wow there are no words for Relayer.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
Jackson Browne has had a grand total of ONE SONG in the Billboard Top 10, and it was from a soundtrack ("Somebody's Baby", from Fast Times at Ridgemont High".) 

This thread is now about Jennifer Jason Leigh.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1900 on: May 05, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
   Jackson Browne has had a grand total of ONE SONG in the Billboard Top 10, and it was from a soundtrack ("Somebody's Baby", from Fast Times at Ridgemont High".) 

Rush had none.  Man, do they suck.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
After four years without, I have a fully functional home cassette deck for my home stereo.

There are various songs that I recorded eons ago, where I boosted the record level so that the 'quieter' moments were at the audible level I wanted them to be.  I boosted the last two minutes of the 'Hey Jude' fadeout, so that it was louder.  I really increased the that last piano chord as it faded on 'A Day In The Life'.  The quieter parts of the Queen title track 'Innuendo' as well.

Well, tonight or tomorrow, I'll listen to my decades old cassette recording of 'Awaken', because the quiet moments on the CD are just too quiet. 

It's one of those songs from an artist that ain't a 'hit', but is an absolute for inclusion in their repertoire for 'best ofs'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1902 on: May 05, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »
Relayer is an amazing album (it ranks 3rd for me behind Fragile & Close To The Edge), but I never really got the hype behind To Be Over. While it's a pretty good song, it just seems to drag out & doesn't really do much for me emotionally.

That said, Gates Of Delirium is a Top 5 Yes song & Sound Chaser's really good too (even though it is so chaotic).
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1903 on: May 06, 2017, 03:28:37 AM »
Relayer is an amazing album (it ranks 3rd for me behind Fragile & Close To The Edge), but I never really got the hype behind To Be Over. While it's a pretty good song, it just seems to drag out & doesn't really do much for me emotionally.

That said, Gates Of Delirium is a Top 5 Yes song & Sound Chaser's really good too (even though it is so chaotic).

In the end of To Be Over you can hear church bells ring, although there aren't any.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1904 on: May 06, 2017, 04:07:14 AM »

In the end of To Be Over you can hear church bells ring, although there aren't any.
:huh:

Offline bundy

« Reply #1905 on: May 06, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »
I love Awaken!

Me too! For me it is THE prog epic. If someone asked me to play them a track from any band that defines the genre, it would be Awaken. Yes at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 2003 was easily the best live show I've ever seen, and their performance of Awaken was simply mesmerising that night.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1906 on: May 06, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
To be over isn't as fantastic as the other two, but it's still a good song. Very enjoyable, nice way to bring things down a few notches after all the craziness.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1907 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »

:huh:

Listen to the To Be Over finale closely. Whenever I listen to it, I can hear some kind of church bells sound in the background, although in reality they didn't put church bells in the song. It's magical.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: May 08, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »

Rush had none.  Man, do they suck.

Out of context.  The point was that JP had so many "hits".  Rush doesn't suck - not even a tiny bit on their worst day - but I don't think anyone would argue that they have a ton of "hits" either.  They are an album oriented band (in some ways, similar to Kiss in that way). 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1909 on: May 08, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
It's really sad to me that Keys To Ascension was forgotten because of how it was released. If all the studio tracks were on one disc, it'd rank right up there with the band's best albums imo.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1910 on: May 08, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
Pearl Jam; just in the Hall this year.  Listen to the solo from "Alive".   Ring any bells?  It should; the first half is the solo from "She", from, you guessed it, Kiss Alive!.

That might be a really bad reference to use. That lead is ripped off from Robby Krieger in a very big way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGHhqV_QhzE

I could imagine a band like PJ would be influenced by both Kiss, and The Doors, so it might be hard to nail it down as a reference to She.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1911 on: May 09, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »
It's really sad to me that Keys To Ascension was forgotten because of how it was released. If all the studio tracks were on one disc, it'd rank right up there with the band's best albums imo.

I thought they had something like that, called Keystudio? I remember it being too hard to find, so I just settled for the full Ascension release..
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1912 on: May 09, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »

I thought they had something like that, called Keystudio? I remember it being too hard to find, so I just settled for the full Ascension release..

They did, but it came out in 2001 (4 years after KTA2), messed up the order of the tracks & like you said, it was really hard to find.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1913 on: May 09, 2017, 02:09:02 AM »
Ah, never knew that about the release date and track order getting messed up.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: May 09, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
Pearl Jam; just in the Hall this year.  Listen to the solo from "Alive".   Ring any bells?  It should; the first half is the solo from "She", from, you guessed it, Kiss Alive!.

That might be a really bad reference to use. That lead is ripped off from Robby Krieger in a very big way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGHhqV_QhzE

I could imagine a band like PJ would be influenced by both Kiss, and The Doors, so it might be hard to nail it down as a reference to She.

McCready has said as much (though he acknowledged the Doors reference as well; the She solo is closer to the Doors solo - Five To One, for anyone curious - than the Alive solo is to the She solo) though McCready takes it somewhere else at the end. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1915 on: May 09, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »

They did, but it came out in 2001 (4 years after KTA2), messed up the order of the tracks & like you said, it was really hard to find.

Any source on what the order was SUPPOSED to be for the original "Know" album that would have contained all of those tracks?

I've always just made up my own track order that opened with "Mind Drive" and included the COMPLETE version of "Children Of Light" (with Wakeman's original keyboard opening and the full first verse for a 7-minute version that closes the album).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1916 on: May 09, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »
I always thought the original order of the KTA albums was perfectly done. Sure, it does have two epics back-to-back, but since they're both structured so differently I don't even mind.

Still though, whose idea was it to have Foot Prints as the opener for the Keystudio version? What about that track would make it a good opener? I don't get it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1917 on: May 09, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
I always thought the original order of the KTA albums was perfectly done. Sure, it does have two epics back-to-back, but since they're both structured so differently I don't even mind.

Still though, whose idea was it to have Foot Prints as the opener for the Keystudio version? What about that track would make it a good opener? I don't get it.

"Foot Prints" isn't a bad opener, I like the a capella opening of the song, it works well enough as an album opener, but I just vastly prefer "Mind Drive" as my personal opener for a Keys compilation. I re-worked the tracklist to fit album sides, making for a double-LP styled album:
Side A (18:38) - Mind Drive
Side B (19:02) - Foot Prints, Be The One
Side C (19:15) - That, That is
Side D (17:56) - Bring Me To The Power, Sign Language, Children Of Light

And I agree, had this material been released in the mid-to-late 90's as one album, I'm sure it would have been far better received, and that line-up could have made a great follow-up album, but instead, it collapsed and we got Open Your Eyes instead...(at least The Ladder followed that...).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1918 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
As a sidenote, Be The One is in my Top 15 Yes songs.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1919 on: May 10, 2017, 01:13:33 AM »
So recently (or at least I think it was recently) they added Open Your Eyes & Magnification to Yes's Spotify page, but yesterday they took down Fly From Here. Anyone know what's going on?  :huh:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1920 on: May 10, 2017, 04:26:24 AM »
Album ranking:

:hefdaddy
#1. Close To The Edge
#2. Fragile
#3. Drama
#4. Relayer
#5. The Yes Album

:tup
#6. Going For The One
#7. Keystudio
#8. Union
#9. Magnification
10. Fly From Here
11. Time & A Word

:smiley:
12. Heaven & Earth
13. 90125
14. Talk
15. Yes (Debut)

:\
16. The Ladder
17. Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe
18. Tales From Topographic Oceans

:facepalm:
19. Tormato
20. Big Generator
21. Open Your Eyes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1921 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »
Album ranking:

#8. Union

10. Fly From Here

12. Heaven & Earth
13. 90125
14. Talk

18. Tales From Topographic Oceans

20. Big Generator

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1922 on: May 10, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
I just got the Yes Close to the Edge Steven Wilson remasters in the mail. I don't think I've ever heard that album with such clarity and intensity through my speakers.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1923 on: May 13, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
The problem I had with Rick's speech is that it went on too damned long.  They had 10 minutes total, and Chris Squire's widow and child were brought up there to accept on his behalf.  She even had something prepared.  Then Rick blathered on so much, telling bad jokes that had nothing to do with music or the RRHoF, that they ran out of time and Scotty (Mrs. Squire) didn't get to speak at all.  She should have been one of the first, probably right after Jon Anderson.  There was a bit of "okay, who's next?" each time, because they'd obviously not planned things very well, likely because the two camps (Yes and ARW) aren't speaking to each other.  So it's entirely possible that some people had no idea who that woman and child were and why they were up there.

Here's the punchline:  Wakeman made a lot of noise at first about not going.  Then he said he'd go, to honor Chris Squire, but only if Scotty was there.  She was there, and he's the one who couldn't shut his hole and let her speak.

Still can't believe that happened.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1924 on: May 13, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
Still mind-boggling.