Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264639 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1820 on: April 09, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
Trevor Rabin is on four Yes albums.  90125, Big Generator, Union, TALK.  He even did most of the writing on three of those. "TALK" is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, Endless Dream being one of my all time favorite songs in the Yes catalog.
 I also really like his contributions to Union. Shock to the System, Lift Me Up, Saving my Heart, Miracle of Life,  are all great songs!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1821 on: April 09, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
Okay, I forgot about Union.  But that wasn't the point of my post, even though now, re-reading it, I can see how it came across that way.

I guess I skipped a step.  My point was that three former members of Yes who all chose to leave the band at least once, some multiple times, are now calling themselves "Yes featuring Blah Blah Blah", while the actual band Yes is still active and still touring.  I skipped to the part where people argue about who has the most "legitimate" claim to the band name due to having the most original members and/or having played on more Yes albums.  And because I was in a hurry, I didn't structure any of the argument that well.

So forget original members and number of albums.  Three guys who all quit Yes voluntarily are now specifically promoting themselves as Yes.  They are "the voice of Yes", "the guy who saved Yes from obscurity in the 80's", and "the guy who thinks he's the one everyone thinks of as the keyboard player when they think of Yes".

Caveats:

-- I know, the name of their new band isn't "Yes", it's "Yes featuring...", but come on.  "Asia featuring John Payne" anyone?

-- The "voluntarily" part is also debatable, depending on who you believe, and we as the general public will never know all the facts.  But there are a lot of facts out there, or at least a lot of views from those involved, and when everybody except one person says it went down a certain way, you tend to believe everyone else and not the one guy, especially when it's the one who seems the most wronged in their version of the story.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1822 on: April 09, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
I get what you are saying, but I have to think that some type of deal was struck between the current Yes camp and ARW; I find it hard to believe that ARW would just go ahead and promote the tour like that without having the legal t's crossed and i's dotted.

I'll bet when it is all said and done, the two camps will come together somehow next year to do a 50th anniversary tour, that could end up being another disaster, but still make them lots more cash.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1823 on: April 10, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »
HoF performances were good, but SH playing bass on Owner was just wrong IMO.
He didn't play on the original and he didn't even bother to play on the Make It Easy Intro.
Body language wasn't good and he didn't take a bow at the end with the other members.

But in good news I was reading today an interview with Trevor.
He's finishing ARW songs, plans for two solo albums, instrumental and vocal rock a la Can't Look Away style.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1824 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »
Awesome!  Can't wait to hear the new ARW songs, and Trevors solo stuff.  This is indeed good news..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1825 on: April 10, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
I get what you are saying, but I have to think that some type of deal was struck between the current Yes camp and ARW; I find it hard to believe that ARW would just go ahead and promote the tour like that without having the legal t's crossed and i's dotted.

I'll bet when it is all said and done, the two camps will come together somehow next year to do a 50th anniversary tour, that could end up being another disaster, but still make them lots more cash.

Of course they did; remember, they've been through this before ("ABWH - An Evening of Yes Music and More!").

I watched some video of the ceremony.  GREAT speech by Alex, pretty good speech by Geddy (nice touch with the "blah blah blah").   

Band speeches:   Jon looks GREAT; easily 20 years younger than his age.  I don't know if he had work done or he's just an elf, but he looked great.   Rick Wakeman went on too long and lingered with the sexual stuff a little too much, but the closing joke was worth it (the erection joke).   Steve is just a miserable gnome of a human being.   He really is.   And honestly, his playing is phoned in at this point; I saw him on his last Asia tour, and he was disinterested and there were easily ten or more blatant mistakes in the set, here he botches the ending of the song it is likely he has played more times than any other in his catalogue.   Put in the effort dude.   

Playing:  no exaggeration, I got CHILLS listening to that band play Roundabout. So powerful, so good.   I would gladly, willingly, and with gusto pay significant money to see a full concert with Howe, Anderson, Rabin, White (or Bruford), Wakeman, and Lee.   That was inspiring.  And anyone that says that Anderson's voice is shot, well, at least for that one song, he delivered the goods.    Really impressive. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1826 on: April 10, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
Anyone have any idea why Geddy played a Fender bass for "Roundabout"?  Geddy's been known to play a Rick and I'm sure he has at least one, and Chris Squire's use of the Rickenbacker is legendary.  So why not play a Rick, especially for that song?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1827 on: April 10, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
I thought his normal bass was a Fender?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1828 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
Geddy's, yes.  But I'm sure I've seen him play a Rickenbacker.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1829 on: April 10, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
Tour dates

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yes-feat-jon-anderson-trevor-rabin-rick-wakeman-announces-north-american-tour/

I may go see them but I would like more Geddy lee in my YES. Its a decent set up, since he doesn't have to sing. His playing is still damn good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1830 on: April 10, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing him play a Rick.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1831 on: April 10, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Rick Wakeman went on too long and lingered with the sexual stuff a little too much, but the closing joke was worth it (the erection joke).   Steve is just a miserable gnome of a human being.   He really is.   And honestly, his playing is phoned in at this point; I saw him on his last Asia tour, and he was disinterested and there were easily ten or more blatant mistakes in the set, here he botches the ending of the song it is likely he has played more times than any other in his catalogue.   Put in the effort dude.
Rick is extremely funny. This isn't the first time I see him deliver a stand up act while receiving an award. I don't know if that's the appropriate place to perform a comedy routine, but still.  :lol

Steve is my guitar hero, but he comes across a bit arrogant and grumpy.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1832 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
The problem I had with Rick's speech is that it went on too damned long.  They had 10 minutes total, and Chris Squire's widow and child were brought up there to accept on his behalf.  She even had something prepared.  Then Rick blathered on so much, telling bad jokes that had nothing to do with music or the RRHoF, that they ran out of time and Scotty (Mrs. Squire) didn't get to speak at all.  She should have been one of the first, probably right after Jon Anderson.  There was a bit of "okay, who's next?" each time, because they'd obviously not planned things very well, likely because the two camps (Yes and ARW) aren't speaking to each other.  So it's entirely possible that some people had no idea who that woman and child were and why they were up there.

Here's the punchline:  Wakeman made a lot of noise at first about not going.  Then he said he'd go, to honor Chris Squire, but only if Scotty was there.  She was there, and he's the one who couldn't shut his hole and let her speak.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1833 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing him play a Rick.

Geddy played a Rick up to the Signals tour where he started to mix in the Steinburger bass.  He then moved to the Wal bass for 2 album and tours and then during the Counterparts recording, Kevin Shirley wanted him to go to a bass with active pickups so Geddy went to a Fender Jazz bass.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:22:16 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1834 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
That sounds right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1836 on: April 10, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
Anyone have any idea why Geddy played a Fender bass for "Roundabout"?  Geddy's been known to play a Rick and I'm sure he has at least one, and Chris Squire's use of the Rickenbacker is legendary.  So why not play a Rick, especially for that song?

There is some footage around, which I saw, post performance Geddy was asked why he didn't use the Rick and he said he tried a few different bass's
and the Jazz sounded and fitted the song the best.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1837 on: April 10, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
Thanks for that.  I'm not gonna argue with Geddy Lee about bass playing FFS, so it's good to hear it right from him, though it still seemed an odd choice to me.  The bi-amped Rick sound on "Roundabout" is probably as well-known as any bass line in rock, and the Fender Jazz just has a much cleaner sound.  Doesn't seem to "pop" the same way to me.  Okay, I guess would be stupid enough to argue bass playing with Geddy Lee.  But as with any artist, he had to go with what felt right for the situation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1838 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »

Of course they did; remember, they've been through this before ("ABWH - An Evening of Yes Music and More!").

I swear, I almost mentioned that in the post you quoted there. :lol :tup :tup

Steve is just a miserable gnome of a human being.   He really is.   And honestly, his playing is phoned in at this point; I saw him on his last Asia tour, and he was disinterested and there were easily ten or more blatant mistakes in the set, here he botches the ending of the song it is likely he has played more times than any other in his catalogue.   Put in the effort dude.   

Howe is a great guitarist, but he has never struck me as anything more than a total stick in the mud.

The problem I had with Rick's speech is that it went on too damned long.  They had 10 minutes total, and Chris Squire's widow and child were brought up there to accept on his behalf.  She even had something prepared.  Then Rick blathered on so much, telling bad jokes that had nothing to do with music or the RRHoF, that they ran out of time and Scotty (Mrs. Squire) didn't get to speak at all.  She should have been one of the first, probably right after Jon Anderson.  There was a bit of "okay, who's next?" each time, because they'd obviously not planned things very well, likely because the two camps (Yes and ARW) aren't speaking to each other.  So it's entirely possible that some people had no idea who that woman and child were and why they were up there.

Here's the punchline:  Wakeman made a lot of noise at first about not going.  Then he said he'd go, to honor Chris Squire, but only if Scotty was there.  She was there, and he's the one who couldn't shut his hole and let her speak.

Agreed.  A joke or two is fine, but to go on and on like that was in very poor taste.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1839 on: April 15, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
Saw this on FB:

Trevor Rabin
April 9 at 3:35pm ·
As i'm sure you all know, I'm not big on social media. no reason, I just seem to not go there often. So please except my apologies.
I will try to visit here more often.
I did want to thank the fans sincerely for getting us into the hall of fame. It's a tremendous honor.
I also have to take my hat off to Rick Wakeman.
Rick had declined participating unless there was a Chris Squire acknowledgment. So it was fantastic that Scottie Squire and Xilan were there at our table,
I had a great time, I thought Rick was clearly a highlight, lightening the night up with his hilarious humor.
He should be doing SNL.
I was also happy that Jon acknowledge Yes's original guitar player Peter Banks. I too was going to talk about Peter, but what Jon said was beautiful.
For all of us the night was a tribute to my brother Chris Squire.
I have to thank Geddy and Alex for being so gracious.
It was also great fun playing with friends Neil Schon, Eddy Vedder,
Mike McCready, Jeff Ament, Jack Irons and of cause Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee on the finale.
An extra thanks to Geddy for playing as a tribute to Chris on Roundabout. What a player.
Anyway the other inductees where fantastic, and it was a beautiful night.
Now we get ready for Japan, new music, and a loong north american tour.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1840 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
I also have to take my hat off to Rick Wakeman.
Rick had declined participating unless there was a Chris Squire acknowledgment. So it was fantastic that Scottie Squire and Xilan were there at our table,
I had a great time, I thought Rick was clearly a highlight, lightening the night up with his hilarious humor.
He should be doing SNL.

I'd seen that before, which is why I thought it was so crappy/bizarre that Rick wanted Scottie up there to help honor Chris, then he wouldn't shut up and she never got to speak.

Scottie Squire posts at Yesfans occasionally, and she commented on this.  There was a monitor which they were all supposed to be watching, and it was flashing "Wrap it up" the entire time Wakeman was blabbing on and on.  She could see it from where she was standing.  There was also a clock counting down and it went all the way to zero.  Then Wakeman turned around, handed the award to Xilan, and asked Scotty if she was going to say anything.  It was so awkward and she was so dumbfounded at what just happened that she just walked off with everyone else as they were being hustled off the stage.  Apparently they were trying to keep to a timetable even though no one was broadcasting it live.  They knew it would be edited later and stuff.

Oh well.  It happened.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1841 on: April 15, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »
Sounds like a dick move on Wakeman's part.

The more I read about this, the more I realize that was a carefully crafted PR move by ARW, to announce the "Yes featuring ARW" right around the time of the R&RHOF thing, thus giving the appearance that they are the true Yes.  At least they are playing mostly songs that had at least two of the three on the original recordings (the Yes album tunes being the exceptions).  The current version of Yes with Steve Howe has a bunch of guys who had no part of the original recordings of most of the songs they are playing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1842 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
Yea. The ARW version seems like the most authentic of the two, but the behind-the-scenes shenanigans makes it hard to be enthusiastic about them. At the same time I have no interest in the Steve Howe version of Yes.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1843 on: April 15, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
It's a pretty tough call for me, actually.  As far as I'm concerned, ARW loses points for trying to usurp the Yes name, or whatever you want to call it.  But I would rather hear Jon Anderson sing Yes than anyone else.  I prefer Steve Howe to Trevor Rabin by leaps and bounds, but at this point I'm not sure about Wakeman anymore.  Sure, the Yes material from the 70's with Wakeman playing was my favorite stuff, but I haven't heard him playing anything in the past 20 years that I've found interesting.  He overplays everything and is all about showing off.  It's gotten worse as he's gotten older.  Geoff Downes isn't the technician that Wakeman is, but he's more concerned about playing the songs and making them sound good than feeding his ego and playing as many notes as possible.  Before Chris Squire passed, I would have said that "Yes Official" is the better band.  I have no idea any more.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1844 on: April 15, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
Pretty much agree with all of that, although I wasn't aware of what Wakeman's playing is like these days.

Ideally they'd grow up and have one version of Yes that's a combination of the two groups. Anderson/Howe/Wakeman/White, Anderson/Rabin/Downes/White, or Anderson/Howe/Downes/White. Something like that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1845 on: April 16, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
Unfortunately, that seems less and less likely as time goes on.  The biggest rift seems to be between Howe and Anderson, although Wakeman has publicly blasted pretty much everyone in the current official Yes at one time or another except for Squire, and Wakeman and Howe clearly don't get along these days either.

Many said that Squire was the glue that held the band together all these years, but I always thought that that was just hyperbole, and the truth is more that he was simply the one who got along with everyone else and was the only one to never quit the band (or get fired), thus he was the only one to play on every album.  But it turns out that there are different types of glue, and in the case of Yes, perhaps this was exactly what they needed.  Both Anderson and Wakeman have said that a full re-union will never happen.  Rabin says he hasn't really thought in those terms; he just always wanted to play with Wakeman, and having Anderson on board was a big, big plus.  I don't think I've heard anyone in official Yes comment negatively on it, it's always "well, we'll see".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1846 on: April 16, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
Good read here:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-band-name-ownership/#photogallery-1=1

Sounds like Anderson had a gentleman's agreement with Squire to not use the Yes name, but once Squire died, the agreement was no more in Anderson's eyes, and here we are.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1847 on: April 16, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »
Oh. So, we've essentially got Yes and Yes ft. ARW, which is the today's version of AWBH. I haven't been following the series of events that much.  :lol

Interesting read, that article. It makes me realize that this kind of development is nothing new. It's confusing, but ordinary. I personally don't have any interest in either of the two Yes line ups, but I'll check the new stuff once they put it out.

And to be honest, I don't think there's that much fan excitement about either of the two bands. Yes released two albums in 14 years and neither of them was a success objectively. Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin are about to release stuff together for the first time in more than 20 years, which leaves you wondering if they still function well as a team and whether they can deliver interesting music. They might as well throw in the towel all together. After the death of Chris Squire, even the reunion of all these guys wouldn't generate excitement. But I do understand they do like playing music still and that there's still some amount of profit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1848 on: April 16, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Yep, both factions are basically nostalgia acts now, but there is still money to be made, and to some of those guys, playing music is all they know, so I can't blame any of them for wanting to keep playing. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1849 on: April 16, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
As long as the music's still good, I don't care.

That said though, I REALLY hope the music's still good.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1850 on: April 16, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
I am sure both factions can still play the old songs good enough, but in regards to newer good music, it's telling that neither faction played anything from the last 25 years recently.  Granted, the last two Yes albums were both pretty blah (and that is putting it nicely), so not playing anything from those albums is probably a good thing, unless they played Into the Storm, which is a good tune.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1851 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin are about to release stuff together for the first time in more than 20 years, which leaves you wondering if they still function well as a team and whether they can deliver interesting music.

Just a nitpick here, but for all the Yes albums they've been on collectively, these three have never worked on a Yes album together.  The closest they've come is Union, which they each appeared on, but there were no songs with Wakeman and Rabin together.  Union was a collection of ABWH tunes, leftover YesWest tunes, and a Howe acoustic solo.

Wakeman and Rabin have never worked together in the studio, and before ARW, they'd only done the Union tour together but nothing since.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1852 on: April 17, 2017, 01:10:10 AM »
Ouch, you're actually right. I messed up, for some reason I thought that Wakeman played on Talk. He obviously didn't, that was a mix-up on my part.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1853 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
After the Union album and tour, the two Yes factions (ABWH and official Yes) appeared to truly have be reunited.  There was talk of another album, and Wakeman and Rabin both expressed great interest in working together.  Steve Howe, however, wasn't interested, and neither was Bill Bruford.  This left the 90125 lineup plus Wakeman.  There are even some early promo materials with the six-piece lineup named.  I've seen one but can't find any through Google right now.

Phil Carson from Victory records came along and wanted Yes to do their next album, and he apparently offered some incentives because they jumped at it.  But Carson only wanted the 90125 lineup, Wakeman was like "oh well" and Talk was back to the 90125 lineup.  Then Victory records went bankrupt shortly after Talk was released, so there was almost no promotion, the album sold poorly, and Yes was on yet another hiatus.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1854 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:52 AM »
Funny thing, I actually remember that from the Yes discography thread you ran a while ago. There was also a great Yes documentary on YouTube that dedicated enough time to all various line up shifts and I remember seeing that there as well. But Yes has been so inconsistent with their line ups that it's truly impossible to memorize everything. ;D The hilarious thing is, if I recall correctly, Yes actually reunited with Steve and Rick to do the Keys albums only two years later.  :lol

It's a shame Talk didn't receive enough attention back when it was released. In perspective, many fans would agree it was probably the best record of the Rabin era.