Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257201 times)

DTA and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
Damn it.  Yes played here last night and didn't bother letting anybody know about it.  First time I've missed them in ages. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
Listening to Tales now. God, this has to be one of the most underrated albums ever. It's so beautiful in almost every aspect, yet almost completely neglected by both the modern incantation of the band and the fans.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
So far Tales is just alright, I haven't really gotten into it yet. It is a pretty dense album though so that doesn't really surprise me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
So far Tales is just alright, I haven't really gotten into it yet. It is a pretty dense album though so that doesn't really surprise me.

Of the four songs, I'd say the hardest one to stomach is "The Ancients." I'd focus on "The Revealing Science of God" and "Ritual" because those are the more accessible of the group.

It's also important (in my opinion) to listen to the album in one go. While I understand that 80 minutes is a lot of time to put into four songs, I always feel more satisfied when I listen to Tales that way.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
To me, the most important part of listening to Tales is to have ZERO distractions.  If you start missing parts of it, the whole song tends to fall apart.  Once you give yourself up fully to the album, you will truly benefit from its beauty.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
To me, the most important part of listening to Tales is to have ZERO distractions.  If you start missing parts of it, the whole song tends to fall apart.  Once you give yourself up fully to the album, you will truly benefit from its beauty.

Agreed! Like most concept albums, this is definitely one of them that deserves your full, undivided attention for the entirety of it's run. Sure, you look at it track times with a jaw-dropped face at first, but after several spins with all your attention to it, you get to understand and appreciate the album as a whole.

It took me awhile to get into Close To The Edge (the album - although "And You And I" struck me right away, the other two took longer), so diving into an album twice as long, with songs all in the 18-22 minute range was quite a feat for me at first, but now I enjoy the album.

I also agree that "The Revealing Science Of God" and "Ritual" are the two better tracks, and much more accessible. I enjoy the recent live recordings with "Ritual" (Songs From Tsongas and Symphonic Live) as they really put a LOT of energy into the song, between the extended bass-solo to the thunderous drum solo section (great performance on Tsongas at this part).

If that version of Yes ever gets back together, it would be amazing to hear ANY of the Tales material live, but understandably so if they don't. It's daunting to play a 20 minute song every night... let alone two or three as they usually do! (And there are tougher contenders up against the Tales songs - Awaken, Close To The Edge, Gates Of Delirium).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
Not to go off topic, but does anyone like any of the other Yes member's solo albums? I'm listening to Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson right now. It's absolutely beautiful.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2010, 06:39:42 AM »
I like Olias of Sunhillow a lot.  Jon writes much simpler songs in general, but has a great ear for melodies and putting together chord progressions that are deceptively simple, yet elegant.

Fish Out Of Water by Chris Squire is very good, probably my favorite "regular" Yes solo album, and regarded by many as a lost Yes album.  It's quite prog, and even sounds a lot like Yes thanks to drums by Bill Bruford and keyboards by Patrick Moraz, and of course because Squire's voice is similar to Anderson's.

Then you have all the solo stuff by Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe.  

Wakeman has an insane amount of solo material out there, most of which people have never heard of, and a lot of which Wakeman himself admits is pretty bad (and I agree).  The Six Wives of Henry VIII was the first and is still my fave, followed closely by Criminal Record.  Both of these are all instrumentals.  If you don't mind your prog with extra cheese, Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table are both quite good.  There are extended instrumentals providing interpretation of the story, given in spoken word and singing, which isn't bad, but I end up wishing they'd just shut up so we can get to the next instrumental.  Selections From Journey to the Center of the Earth, which he actually recorded much later, solves that problem and just gives you the instrumentals, plus a couple of revised tracks from King Arthur and Six Wives to help fill out the run time.

Wakeman seems to have shot his load in the 70's, though.  He's released literally dozens of albums since then (seriously) and honestly, I don't know if even 5% of them are any good.  I checked out a good ten or 12 of them, and ended up nuking most of them from my hard drive.  The New Age stuff isn't bad (Aspirant Sunset, Aspirant Sunrise, Aspirant Sunshadows) and I kept them.  They have his knack for chords, but as with most New Age, it's meant for relaxing and/or background music.  In the 70's, he was master of the piles of electronic keyboards, but on his later stuff, I prefer just him and acoustic piano.

Steve Howe also has a lot of solo albums.  As with Wakeman, my favorites are the instrumentals, but in this case it's mostly because I really don't like Howe's voice.  Natural Timbre is probably my favorite because to me, solo Howe is best when it's just him and an acoustic guitar.  His amazing electric solos with Yes seem to require a strong band (like Yes, obviously) for him to play against, and he never really manages to assemble a really strong band on his solo albums, so don't look for a whole album of technical fireworks, such as on a John Petrucci solo album.  Steve's solo albums encompass a lot of different styles, and that includes "regular songs" with him singing.  I haven't heard them all, but Beginnings and The Steve Howe Album, the first two, are both very good, the aforementioned Natural Timbre, and I think it was either Skyline or Elements that I checked out one time that was pretty good.

Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz have a couple of albums out together, which are very interesting to me because you don't often hear music performed by piano and drums as a duo.  The first one was simply called Moraz-Bruford: Music for Piano and Drums.  Interesting but gets a bit repetitive after a while, as all of Moraz's solo stuff does for me.  Their second album was pretty much the same, and I didn't keep it.  I don't even remember its name.

Moraz is a brilliant, gifted keyboard player, but I find his solo albums rather dull.  The Story of i is his best-known one, and the compositions and arrangements are great, the keyboard sounds are awesome, and I still find myself admiring all that, but somehow not being impressed overall.  Something just doesn't grab me.  There doesn't seem to be any real inspiration or passion to it, just a bunch of clever stuff.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
I'm going to have to check out Natural Timbre. Howe is probably the only Yes member who I haven't checked out the solo stuff of. I don't know why.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
I made an "Album Lineup Chart" and posted it in the Personnel section of Yes' Wikipedia page. I figured it would be useful for people like me getting into the band who want to learn the lineups for each of the albums. The chart that was already there was more of a timeline and wasn't really helping me so I took a few hours to learn how to make the chart and it worked out pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)#Personnel
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »
I made an "Album Lineup Chart" and posted it in the Personnel section of Yes' Wikipedia page. I figured it would be useful for people like me getting into the band who want to learn the lineups for each of the albums. The chart that was already there was more of a timeline and wasn't really helping me so I took a few hours to learn how to make the chart and it worked out pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)#Personnel

Awesome! Good job man! The only mistake I see is you wrote "Closer to the Edge" instead of "Close to the Edge"
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
I missed that. Thanks!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »

Of the four songs, I'd say the hardest one to stomach is "The Ancients." I'd focus on "The Revealing Science of God" and "Ritual" because those are the more accessible of the group.

It's also important (in my opinion) to listen to the album in one go. While I understand that 80 minutes is a lot of time to put into four songs, I always feel more satisfied when I listen to Tales that way.

I've been obsessed with "Revealing Science" lately. The chant intro is chilling, and I can't stop singing the "momet moment momentttt" vocal line

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »

I've been obsessed with "Revealing Science" lately. The chant intro is chilling, and I can't stop singing the "momet moment momentttt" vocal line

Haha me too, but for all of Tales. I don't think a day has gone by in the past week or two where I haven't listened to this album completely. The album evokes so many emotions for me, and by the time Ritual comes on, especially the "da da da da DA da da DA da da dum" and the "Nous Sommes Du Soleil" chants after, I am either grinning ear to ear or crying depending on how I am listening to the album.

Tales has almost transcended music and become more or less a spiritual experience for me as of late.

lonestar summed it up perfectly:

Once you give yourself up fully to the album, you will truly benefit from its beauty.
space cadet, pull out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
Every year over Fourth of July week, I do a camping trip up to the same lake near Tahoe.  Every night at sunset I sit on the edge of said lake, put on Tales, and watch the sunset over the granite cliffs, the sun shimmering on the choppy water.  As the sun goes down, the shimmers become less, the cliffs darken, the air chills.  I sense every molecule around me, the music goes into my ears and out my pores, cleansing my soul in the process.  I have seen and been through a lot of shitty stuff in life, but as long as I can have moments like this, I WILL die happy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Every year over Fourth of July week, I do a camping trip up to the same lake near Tahoe.  Every night at sunset I sit on the edge of said lake, put on Tales, and watch the sunset over the granite cliffs, the sun shimmering on the choppy water.  As the sun goes down, the shimmers become less, the cliffs darken, the air chills.  I sense every molecule around me, the music goes into my ears and out my pores, cleansing my soul in the process.  I have seen and been through a lot of shitty stuff in life, but as long as I can have moments like this, I WILL die happy.

That is pretty sweet.  Thanks for sharing that!  :tup :tup

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »

That is pretty sweet.  Thanks for sharing that!  :tup :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »

Excellent post. Yes is really the only band that I know about where these kinds of experiences can happen. :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2010, 05:05:38 AM »
Our little "posse" of Yes fanatics needs to be heard! We need to ensure that Yes goes as far as possible in the favorite non-DT bands polls! ONWARD!!!!!!! (through the night)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10935.0
space cadet, pull out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
Our little "posse" of Yes fanatics needs to be heard! We need to ensure that Yes goes as far as possible in the favorite non-DT bands polls! ONWARD!!!!!!! (through the night)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10935.0
Just voted, am about to open multiple other accounts to vote more.  C'mon YESFANS, vote.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but am listening to Rituals right now, and the part where they go into the initial Nous Somme Du Soleil always brings me to the brink of tears, it's just so fucking beautiful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
I love Yes to death, but they are in the 6-8 range all-time for me, so they didn't get one of my three votes.  Sorry, fellas.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
I love Yes to death, but they are in the 6-8 range all-time for me, so they didn't get one of my three votes.  Sorry, fellas.

Exactly this for me too. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
Yes is in the 1 to 1 range for me, and if their forum was as geeky and fun as DTF, you guys wouldn't know me.(DT is a HARD number 2, though)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »
Yes is in the 1 to 1 range for me, and if their forum was as geeky and fun as DTF, you guys wouldn't know me.(DT is a HARD number 2, though)

I made an account on that forum and have yet to post on it. Having a separate sub-forum for anything imaginable is kind of silly and makes trying to keep up to date with everything happening on the site kind of a chore.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »

I made an account on that forum and have yet to post on it. Having a separate sub-forum for anything imaginable is kind of silly and makes trying to keep up to date with everything happening on the site kind of a chore.

Yea, I occasionally post there, but there's too many subtopic within subtopics within subtopics to even keep track of anything.

Seriously, I posted something about how much I liked Union, and the post was moved from the Yes Fans - 90s Yes - Yes Albums triple subform to the quadruple subforum for Union. lol
space cadet, pull out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

Yea, I occasionally post there, but there's too many subtopic within subtopics within subtopics to even keep track of anything.

Seriously, I posted something about how much I liked Union, and the post was moved from the Yes Fans - 90s Yes - Yes Albums triple subform to the quadruple subforum for Union. lol
Do you guys have the same usernames, maybe we could do a subtle takeover. :justjen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

Admitting that you like Union a lot should probably result in turning in your Yes fan card, so you probably lucked out. ;) :biggrin:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
I'm not sure. It's been too long since I've even looked at the site.

*checks*

Nope, I'm under the other username I use regularly. "Babaganewsh"

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »

Admitting that you like Union a lot should probably result in turning in your Yes fan card, so you probably lucked out. ;) :biggrin:

I love all Yes albums, especially Union. It gets no wheres near as love as me as all their albums from Yes to Drama, but I still like it a lot.

And to lonestar, I'm under Quadrochosis there too.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
I'm just giving you a hard time.  :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
I'm under lonesoul, the epic orgins of lonestar.  Made about three post and fell asleep.  As forums go, you just can't replace DTF. :metal

DT's music is pretty good too.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »
Okay so I've listened to all of the Yes albums up to Big Generator. I've loved everything From Yes to Drama and I think 90125/Big Generator are pretty good. From what I've gathered from some people (mostly Kev :)) Union isn't very good. Should I just keep going in order or should I skip Union for now? And if I do skip Union what should I skip to?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
If you like 90125 and Big Generator, you will like Talk, the third and last Yes album with Rabin, Anderson, Kaye, Squire and White.  Talk is less pop rock than those two, more hard rocking, and even a bit proggy.

Honestly, Union does have a few good songs, but the great majority of it is pretty bad, IMO, and in the opinion of most Yes fans.  Just an FYI. :) 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »
Okay so I've listened to all of the Yes albums up to Big Generator. I've loved everything From Yes to Drama and I think 90125/Big Generator are pretty good. From what I've gathered from some people (mostly Kev :)) Union isn't very good. Should I just keep going in order or should I skip Union for now? And if I do skip Union what should I skip to?
Listen to it throughout, it's all good stuff. But once Howe went to Asia and they produced 90125, they lost something that they never got back.  It almost felt like a part of their soul was sliced off at that moment, and instead of creating music for the beautiful, soulful aspects of it, they just made music.